[#1]
Seriously, what part of Ohio?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously, what part of Ohio?
View Quote

Looking for a roommate?  After he beats the shit out of his own mom and suplex's her furniture around the house, he may be looking for a place to stay.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a better update than I expected.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good.  No don't let him come back.  No matter how much he's changed.  Fool me once...

Also wouldn't hurt to (if you are physically and medically able) to get yourself in a little better shape and take some self defense training that doesn't revolve around using a firearm.  Brazilian Jujitsu, Muay Thai, or Krav Maga, or something of the like.  From the way you described the situation, it sounds like you could benefit from it greatly, not necessarily so you can start a fight, but so you can be READY when one comes to you.  That way your option isn't ONLY to grab a firearm.  You're lucky he didn't get a hold of you or your wife from the sound of it.  And you won't always have that time to go grab your sidearm.  Plus if you would have shot him, your wife, and his family would have blamed you.  It wouldn't always be in your home like this where you see it coming, it could be some asshole playing the "knockout" game outside of your local Wal-Mart while you are making a dog food run.  Training isn't a bad thing to have.  As always YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Good.

Now, formally evict him so he can not legally return.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to read the update.

Be sure to take a couple days to decompress.  You and your wife need some quiet time together.

A prayer inbound and Happy Holy-days to you and yours.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Who the fuck could drink 1 bottle of fireball much less 2.

Some drunks amaze me
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, you need to start researching Texas law. Yesterday. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to an attorney as well. In South Dakota that would have went the same way. Since you have allowed him to live there since February (first and biggest mistake), he is legally considered a tenant and you cannot immediately kick him out. The stuff he broke is his since it's his residence. Change the locks and he can break in. His residence. Anyone suggesting getting violent with him is a moron and there's a good chance you'd be facing domestic charges. Whoever said never let relatives live with you is 100% spot-on. Trick him into moving out and start eviction proceedings immediately.
View Quote

Good advice.  Start the eviction proceeding tomorrow.  IF he leaves voluntarily no biggie.  If he doesn't you are at least on the way to getting him out.  Or get a copy of the police report and try the civil RO short cut to eviction.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I find it strange he didn't get arrested on a DV charge as well. In most states, breaking shit in the house while you're enraged or even just yelling in front of kids will get your arrested. It sounds more like someone used some discretion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You couldn't have him charged with property damage?

Not when he lives there... its not illegal to break your own shit and its not the cops job to discern what property belongs to who. Civil matter for a civil court

I find it strange he didn't get arrested on a DV charge as well. In most states, breaking shit in the house while you're enraged or even just yelling in front of kids will get your arrested. It sounds more like someone used some discretion.

In some states for it to be a DV there has to be an intimate relationship.  So, in those states unless he or his wife were banging her brother no DV.  Which makes it a judgment call on the officers and arresting some ones brother around the holidays is generally a HUGE waste of time and the taxpayers money because IME around 90% of the time the family is going to come bail him out and/or go to the DA to get the charges dropped.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good advice.  Start the eviction proceeding tomorrow.  IF he leaves voluntarily no biggie.  If he doesn't you are at least on the way to getting him out.  Or get a copy of the police report and try the civil RO short cut to eviction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, you need to start researching Texas law. Yesterday. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to an attorney as well. In South Dakota that would have went the same way. Since you have allowed him to live there since February (first and biggest mistake), he is legally considered a tenant and you cannot immediately kick him out. The stuff he broke is his since it's his residence. Change the locks and he can break in. His residence. Anyone suggesting getting violent with him is a moron and there's a good chance you'd be facing domestic charges. Whoever said never let relatives live with you is 100% spot-on. Trick him into moving out and start eviction proceedings immediately.

RIF
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I also recommend the eviction process.
In most areas it takes some time so it would be good to get the ball rolling.

Detox and treatment is a step in the right direction but don't stack your hopes on that making things turn out ok. I don't know the percentages but
the success rates are not all that hot.

Best to plan for the what if of him showing back on your doorstep because odds are that will happen at some point.
I am liking the idea of both you and the wife getting some education or counseling before he shows up so that you are on the same page.
Consider that because of the blood tie your wife will want to "help him" until she learns that much of the stuff that seems like it should help is actually only enabling him .

Nasty business when one has these problems in ones family . My father did this dance with myself and my sister (and a couple of ex wifes of his ) for about 25 years until he got himself clean
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not even an issue. He's on his way back to Ohio. All their family is up there, so no reason for him to ever come back down. I really hope he gets this under control. He'll also be extremely lucky if his liver isn't totally trashed.
View Quote

WTF? What did we ever do to you?

Wait, did you sent him to Dayton? I might be cool with that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup.  This says it all:

You don't "bug out" of your own home.  You defend it.  

Put this loser scumbag out.  Period.  ASAP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your first mistake was allowing him to move in.

Your second will be allowing him to remain.

Yup.  This says it all:

We were getting ready to bug out.

You don't "bug out" of your own home.  You defend it.  

Put this loser scumbag out.  Period.  ASAP.

He's gone now. Will be checking into rehab tonight.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not even an issue. He's on his way back to Ohio. All their family is up there, so no reason for him to ever come back down. I really hope he gets this under control. He'll also be extremely lucky if his liver isn't totally trashed.

Sorry brother, that's where all their family is. Cleveland area.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the dog in the avatar yours?  And if yes, how did it respond to this melee?

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He never had a key. We're in rural TX, our doors aren't ever locked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

Make damn sure you stick by your guns here. No one should have to live in fear of an out of control human being when he or she directly has it within their power to fix the situation.

In words which the brother in law can understand: This ain't baseball. You're not getting another strike.

You can care about someone all you want, pray for them all you can but at the end of the day it's up to them and them alone to deal with their problems.

Watch the wife next. If she's not 100% in line with your decision, look for a repeat should she permit the guy back into your house. At that point in time I would be carefully evaluating the merits of staying together.

Change the locks on all the doors.

Time to start locking them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

FPNI.  Get a lawyer and evict the SOB today.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny you should ask about the dogs. We have 4, including the 110# GSD in my avatar. All 4 of them were terrified of BIL. The GSD was trying his damnedest to get his whole body in my lap. Even our Black mouth Cur who we would have thought would get aggressive in a situation like this was cowering. The energy my BIL was giving off was that intense.

He will never be coming back here. Ever. He'll either stay with his parents or in a sober living facility when he gets out. There is no reason whatsoever for him to come back down here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, good job on the way you handled it.
Getting your wife out of the way as much as possible was the best move.
Thank goodness you didn't have to protect the both of you with the gun.
However justified you would have been, it would have been a terrible situation.

Smart call.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He will never be coming back here. Ever. He'll either stay with his parents or in a sober living facility when he gets out. There is no reason whatsoever for him to come back down here.
View Quote

Apparently there was a reason for him to come down last time.  After everyone's memory fades a bit, and your wife says "He's family," and he apologizes and gives you those lines you were receptive to on page three, and he says he's clean and how sorry he is...remember what you wrote above.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
OP I think you did a good job trying to de-escalate.

Glad dude is gone and back to being a buckeye.

Best of luck down the road when he tries to get back down to TX. Let's face it, he's going to want to get back down to TX.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

He will never be coming back here. Ever.

View Quote

I pray you hold solid on that position.  

Know this.  Everyone who has been close family around him has ENABLED him his entire life.  THAT WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN AGAIN.  Especially the women around him INCLUDING your wife.  Women want harmony & everyone getting along.

They know all too well there will be a subdued conflict between you two for the rest of your days.  They want to fix that.

You use the words "never" and "ever" & they will want to change that.

Be prepared for continued negotiating throughout your life.  Every chance they get they WILL try to move you off of your "never" and "ever" position.

For the sake of your family, wife & your own personal safety ALWAYS ALWAYS be resolute and say "He has repeatedly demonstrated he is a threat and danger to our home and family.  He will never be allowed here again."

Stand firm Key.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bet he has a helluva hangover this morning.
View Quote

He's an alcoholic, I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#28]
You did the right thing; now contact a lawyer and start an eviction process. The situation you are in really sucks. You need to put space between him and your family. It is sink or swim time for the BIL.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Horse people.

Boot him

And the others
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Never say never.
You let him move in once, in his mind maybe you will again once he has gotten tired of his family in Ohio.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Read the first paragraph.
Get his shit bring it to the hospital and tell you wife she can stay and care for her bother and she had all your support, but he has to get the Fuck out of your home.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#32]
COC
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Funny you should ask about the dogs. We have 4, including the 110# GSD in my avatar. All 4 of them were terrified of BIL. The GSD was trying his damnedest to get his whole body in my lap. Even our Black mouth Cur who we would have thought would get aggressive in a situation like this was cowering. The energy my BIL was giving off was that intense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any update?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Why the fuck would you bug out of your own house while someone is destroying your things ?

I truly cannot understand that mindset brother or not.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You don't sound like a coward at all. You sound like a man who avoided taking a human life, and that's something to be proud of.
View Quote

Best to avoid shooting him, but its poor form to allow his house and wife to be treated in such a way.

What would we be saying to him if the the brother had grabbed a knife and killed his wife while he was standing outside.

He should have at the very least, had the fellow arrested.

The cop should have hooked him for property damage, and if he wouldn't do that I am sure he could have gotten the brother to take a swing at him fairly easily.

This was handled poorly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This will be a somewhat short reply as I'm on my phone back at the hospital. Had to leave at 6 to feed critters at home.

To address the most common question, no he will not be allowed back in our house aside from picking up his shit. Wife and I are unanimous on that. We're hoping he'll self admit to psych once he wakes up, he's still passed out. His only option today is to stay in the hospital. He has no transportation here and I will not take him back to our place. Period. We will go from there, but he will NOT be living with us.

As of 7 AM his BAC was still 0.177. Keep in mind his 0.27 last night was taken almost 4 hours after his last drink...

I can't respond to the individual posts that I'd like to on my phone, but for those that are critical of my actions, in many ways I agree with you. I can't justify some of my actions. I feel in most ways like I did the best I could given that I have NEVER dealt with someone behaving in that manner. It was truly terrifying.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers and support. We greatly appreciate it.
View Quote

I can accept that.

Sometimes we realize the better course of action later, and self criticism after an incident is a good thing to use to learn from.

I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Cop can't do anything until he hits you?

What about him breaking all your shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that kind of fails the sniff test. Domestic violence is domestic violence. Property destruction in the face of his sister would be considered DV in all jurisdictions I know of.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#38]
WTF, your house and you want to bug out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI.  

The first time he touched a drink after he was living with you was the time to kick him to the curb.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You now have an excellent reason to start locking them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

Make damn sure you stick by your guns here. No one should have to live in fear of an out of control human being when he or she directly has it within their power to fix the situation.

In words which the brother in law can understand: This ain't baseball. You're not getting another strike.

You can care about someone all you want, pray for them all you can but at the end of the day it's up to them and them alone to deal with their problems.

Watch the wife next. If she's not 100% in line with your decision, look for a repeat should she permit the guy back into your house. At that point in time I would be carefully evaluating the merits of staying together.

Change the locks on all the doors.

You now have an excellent reason to start locking them.

+87.   "He won't be back because he has no reason to." When all of his family turns their back on him and he has no place to go, he will probably slowly make his rounds again, looking for sympathy. I guess you can just roll the dice on wether he will be drunk and angry when he gets there. Sure beats changing locks or actually using them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LULZ

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#43]
"but he was apparently right up in her face screaming. My reason for staying outside was that I didn't want to startle him or trigger him to do something rash."

well at least your wife knows you will protect her.... Wow.

you must be better than me. I wouldn't have put up with that at all. no matter what.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, that kind of fails the sniff test. Domestic violence is domestic violence. Property destruction in the face of his sister would be considered DV in all jurisdictions I know of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you want me to say?  I asked the cop point blank, "So you can't arrest him unless he hits one of us?"

Cop's response, "Correct".

Me, " If he lays a hand on either of us I'm going to shoot him".

Cop shrugs.

He is still in rehab though I'm not convinced he's going to stay from what we're hearing. His mom is in major denial. She had no clue about his years of poly drug abuse while he was living with them. Not even weed, but he abused MDMA, acid, cocaine, etc extensively. She had no idea. From what my wife's said from her conversations with her parents, her dad is being quite realistic and rational about the whole situation but her mom seems to be in serious denial. I'm not sure what will happen if leaves treatment. Her dad doesn't want to let him back in the house, but their mom will cave.

Luckily, he doesn't own his own car, so has no transport even if he wanted to come back here. Regardless, even my wife doesn't want him back here. She no longer trusts him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"but he was apparently right up in her face screaming. My reason for staying outside was that I didn't want to startle him or trigger him to do something rash."

well at least your wife knows you will protect her.... Wow.

you must be better than me. I wouldn't have put up with that at all. no matter what.
View Quote

I'm not going to get banned for telling you what I really think of your comment. All I will say is even my wife agrees that me not coming back into the house at that point was the best decision.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
From what my wife's said from her conversations with her parents, her dad is being quite realistic and rational about the whole situation but her mom seems to be in serious denial. I'm not sure what will happen if leaves treatment. Her dad doesn't want to let him back in the house, but their mom will cave.
View Quote

Someone needs to smack MIL and read her the riot act about enabling an addict - that is, if she truly wants him to overcome his addiction.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Someone needs to smack MIL and read her the riot act about enabling an addict - that is, if she truly wants him to overcome his addiction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what my wife's said from her conversations with her parents, her dad is being quite realistic and rational about the whole situation but her mom seems to be in serious denial. I'm not sure what will happen if leaves treatment. Her dad doesn't want to let him back in the house, but their mom will cave.

I am in complete agreement. I've been trying to get at least her, if not both, to go to Al-Anon. I'm afraid if it goes badly in terms of him leaving rehab that it could end their marriage of 25+ years. Really hope everything stays smooth. Of course, he's the only one that can make that decision.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Brief background: my wife's 21 year old brother has been living with us since last February. He moved down to get away after a shitty relationship and to try to get his head straightened out. He has had problems with alcohol and drugs in the past, but had gone through a 30 day rehab program and was supposed to be sober. Ha. Ha. Ha. He's been drinking heavily since he came down. There have been some periods where he actually stays sober, but he always goes back to the booze. As a side note, he does have a history of bar fights, and blacked out rages in the past.

Also, as a side note...he's been aiming to play pro baseball for years. He works out two or three times daily and is built like a brick shithouse. 6' 2" 200#.  He has also, for at least the last couple years, been using all manner and variety of prohormones and other workout supplements. He was feeling depressed recently and got some blood work done and his testosterone was around 90 and his estrogen around 142. The doctor put him on 460mg/week of testosterone replacement. I can't help but think this played into the following.

This brings us to last night. I had gone into town to mail a package at around 3:30 PM. Returned home about 4:30. Notice BIL's Jeep is missing. My wife tells me he got upset about something and "went for a drive". That's typically been code for "go for a booze run". He comes back and sits in his cad for about 20 minutes. We suspect, correctly so, that he was out there drinking before he came in.

Turns out he pounded two bottles of Fireball whiskey and then followed it up with 10 bottles of 6% beer. We realized this situation was going to be difficult by about 5 PM when, after only 1 beer he was slurring his speech badly and was obviously pretty drunk already. He decided to treat drinking these beers like a race. Less than 10 minutes per bottle.

Things continued fairly peacefully until probably 7 PM. He got started on his "woe is me, my life sucks" spiel and started getting all weepy and shit. At some point it started shifting to anger and then exploded very rapidly...

While my wife was out on the front porch talking to their mom about the situation at hand, he made his way out from his room where I was praying he would just pass out. No such luck. He went out to the porch as well, and not too long thereafter I hear him yelling loudly then hear banging and crashing. I immediately went to our bedroom and grabbed my S&W 645. By the time I got back to the front door things had escalated. He was rampaging around the porch throwing things and punching walls and what not. I opened the front door and my wife pushed inside and closed and locked it. I quickly went to the back and locked the back door.

This was about the time I first contemplated involving law enforcement. I should have listened to my instincts. He disappeared for a short time, less than 10 minutes. Then he reappeared at the front door and started banging and kicking at the door. I truly thought he was going to kick it in. My wife went to the door asking him to calm down and to take it down a notch or two, and he did, long enough to get back inside.

He started making trips to his room and throwing his clothes and crap out the front door onto the porch and lawn. In the process of this we can tell his rage is growing again. I went to the kitchen in between his trips and got our coats and shoes. We were getting ready to bug out. I went out the back with the dogs since our gate doesn't open and you have to hop the fence to get out, wife was going to meet me outside. She ended up in the living room with him while I was out front.

I admit, and I'm ashamed, that I stayed outside and listened instead of actually going in at that point. He was screaming at the top of his lungs. Then the crashes started. Turns out he demolished one of our tray tables and upended and destroyed our coffee table. Luckily, he never actually laid a hand on my wife, but he was apparently right up in her face screaming. My reason for staying outside was that I didn't want to startle him or trigger him to do something rash.

At this point, hearing the crashing and screaming I finally called 911. I told them we had a domestic disturbance, that my BIL who lived with us was very drunk and threatening violence. They dispatched a county sheriff immediately. Unfortunately, we're rural and response time ended up being about 12-15 minutes. We ended up locking ourselves in the tack room in one of the barns. I know I probably sound like a total coward here, but let me lay it out a bit clearer. I'm 6' 1" 150#. He's 6' 2" and probably 200# of solid muscle. I have never been in a physical fight in my 30 years, and this wasn't going to be my first. I also REALLY did NOT want to have to shoot my wife's brother...

Finally the deputy shows up and makes contact with her brother. He broke down crying sobbing again with the cop. The deputy comes over to us and starts discussing the situation. Because he never laid a hand on either of us, he could not arrest her brother. Nor could he make him leave for the night since this is his legal residence, despite him not being on the lease. The cop told me straight up, "until he hits either of you, I can't do anything". I was a bit taken aback by that, but OK fine, we figure we'll bug out to a hotel since he obviously can't drive.

Her brother apparently tells the cop he wants us to take him to the hospital. OK fine. Cop leaves, things stay peaceful, we get him to the hospital. Apparently he immediately started getting belligerent with the doctor and nurses. Shocking.

3.5 hours after he stopped drinking his BAC was 0.277...  He finally ended up falling asleep at some point. I came home at about 6 AM to get all the horses fed, wife is still there.  

I may not have conveyed everything in the best way, but I'm working on absolutely 0 sleep and am a bit fried after that. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been that scared in my life.

I know this is really long, if anything is unclear, just ask and I can clarify.
View Quote

so how soon does he have to get all of his stuff out of the house? I'm assuming he's moving on ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Keep an axe handle leaned up behind the door. A little hickory shampoo will calm down most drunks.
View Quote

bad advice. given the size difference, anything that doesn't kill him is going to lead to him having to find another way to kill him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ha.  I really hope no one here would call you a pussy for not shooting your drunk BIL.  Ya'll will probably laugh about the whole thing 20yrs down the road.  Shooting a family member when you could have gotten away like you did?  Ya'll would never get over that.
View Quote

yes. this.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top