Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want something easy to maintain and unique, try a moto guzzi. 1200cc vtwin with shaft drive ftw.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm really liking the dyna super glides or street bobs, both seem to be in my general price range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you going to do with it?  Tour across country, go for a ride on Sunday, or somewhere in between?

I'm a take a ride for a couple of hours on a sunny day kind of person. I've always liked Sportsters, Super Glides, KISS bikes without a bunch of stuff on them. Prefer twin cam big twins. I just like the old school bikes.

I'm really liking the dyna super glides or street bobs, both seem to be in my general price range.

I would skip the Softail and go straight to a Dyna or better yet a Touring Bike, the Softails are short on ground clearance, ride harsh and use the internal balanced engine which has all the personality of a Jap Bike. My last 4 bikes have been Harleys, I am a high mileage rider and spend the bulk of my time in Alaska and Canada on bad roads and worse weather and I haven't had any of my Harleys leave me stranded any where. I currently ride a 110 th ANV Limited and if I spent more time in better weather I would ride a Roadking. You can't really go wrong with any of them, if you choose one that suits your needs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Those poor cows
View All Quotes

Seriously.  Did they wipe out a whole dairy farm?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you want something easy to maintain and unique, try a moto guzzi. 1200cc vtwin with shaft drive ftw.

http://i.imgur.com/IjaN3lK.png
View Quote

Moto guzzi? my old boss had one...sounds worse than a harley, while he loved the bike he definitely spent more time working on it than riding it
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would skip the Softail and go straight to a Dyna or better yet a Touring Bike, the Softails are short on ground clearance, ride harsh and use the internal balanced engine which has all the personality of a Jap Bike. My last 4 bikes have been Harleys, I am a high mileage rider and spend the bulk of my time in Alaska and Canada on bad roads and worse weather and I haven't had any of my Harleys leave me stranded any where. I currently ride a 110 th ANV Limited and if I spent more time in better weather I would ride a Roadking. You can't really go wrong with any of them, if you choose one that suits your needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you going to do with it?  Tour across country, go for a ride on Sunday, or somewhere in between?

I'm a take a ride for a couple of hours on a sunny day kind of person. I've always liked Sportsters, Super Glides, KISS bikes without a bunch of stuff on them. Prefer twin cam big twins. I just like the old school bikes.

I'll be going dyna, remember I'm not 50, I have quite a few "ridding years" left before I'm in goldwing territory. I'm looking for more comfortable than a crotch rocket but not luxury!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Too expensive, but I really want a forty-eight.
View Quote

Nice Bikes do you like this one ?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
No Boingers!    Softail Custom FTMFW
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check sig.
View Quote

Simply put, Harley Davidson is to motorcycles what Mini14s are to assault rifles. ~ recoiljunky
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I work on Harley's for a living. Mostly Twin Cams. .........there is so much absolute bullshit in this article that it's not even funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

ETA: if your buying a used twin cam bike, definately read the above links!

Bottom line is, the big twin cam motors are potential mechanical disasters amd not built like they use to be. Its a throw away design now.

I work on Harley's for a living. Mostly Twin Cams. .........there is so much absolute bullshit in this article that it's not even funny.

Would like to hear your side of the story and why that article's BS. How long you been a harley mech? Have you seen as many problems with evo's (sportsters) as twin cams?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]
HD requires every HD rider to wear an official HD black/orange t-shirt while riding.  Failure to do so voids all warranties.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll be going dyna, remember I'm not 50, I have quite a few "ridding years" left before I'm in goldwing territory. I'm looking for more comfortable than a crotch rocket but not luxury!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might as well be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Would like to hear your side of the story and why that article's BS. How long you been a harley mech? Have you seen as many problems with evo's (sportsters) as twin cams?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

ETA: if your buying a used twin cam bike, definately read the above links!

Bottom line is, the big twin cam motors are potential mechanical disasters amd not built like they use to be. Its a throw away design now.

That article makes it sound like the TC motor is a pile of junk. While I would agree that the early spring loaded cam chain design is garbage, the later hydraulic design is much improved. It still isn't the best system in the world but much improved. Most of the Twin Cam "A" motors I see will go about 45,000 miles on the spring style tensioners before replacement. The B motors in the Softail seem to wear out quicker( 30-35k miles) but I've seen some go as far as 75 or 80k. If you got a bike with nice smooth chains and weaker springs you could go further. A bike with stiff tensioner springs and rougher finish on the chains wears out quicker.

I have seen exactly one failure of a tensioner shoe on a hydraulic style system. The crank had .030" runout and the chain would get so tight in one spot that it would bottom the tensioner out in the holder and with no where else to go the chain dug thru the shoe. Not the tensioners fault. The cranks in the 07 96" motors were junk. The runout can get so excessive it will actually break the oil pump. Seen it many times. Consensus from some of the other techs I know at dealerships is that the failure rate of the hydraulic system shoes is almost nil compared to the spring style.

Gear drive cams in the 07& later bikes is pretty much a thing of the past. Most reputable engine builders are running chains in those motors. Gear drive cams were introduced for the earlier TC motors to combat a myriad of issues with the early spring  tensioner system, most of which were addressed with the later hydraulic design. I'm not saying that the TC motor is the end all be all of big twins, actually I think the Evo is a better design. What I'm saying is that it isn't the bomb that the article makes it out to be. Gear drives also present there own issues, one of which is three ability to be used on a crank with over .003" runout. Any more than that and they run the risk of breaking teeth and that will ruin the motor. They can also be very noisy. As far as the engines needing a rebuild if the tensioners fail? Well maybe, but I've replaced dozens of worn out tensioners with a quick swap of the cam bearings and an oil pan flush. No major rebuild needed. Again, over exaggerated. Yeah, maybe if a guy runs the tensioner shoes down to the point that the thing breaks a chain or jumps the timing .....but believe me the bike would be making so much noise at that point you'd have to be an absolute moron to still be running it.

I would be way more concerned about the compensating sprocket design and the shitty 6 speed design on the newer bikes than I would the motor. The compensator is weak and prone to failure, and the bearings in the transmissions are garbage. Still, there is a shit ton of those bikes approaching 60-70k with the original parts. You only hear about the junk on the Internet. There are hundreds of thousands of those bikes on the road and the failures are widely criticized and advertised so it seems like they are extremely common. In most instances they are not. HD went thru some growing pains with the early TC, which is basically an EVO with two fucking cams. Other than the cam chest, everything else is basically the same, so how can it be " that much worse"  

I have plenty of customers who are completely satisfied with their bikes stock or otherwise. And I have a few customers putting 15k miles a year on TC motors that make 130HP.  I like the 103 motors but personally I think the 110's are garbage. I also have quite a few customers that are over 100k miles with only minor issues along the way. The XL motors are great because rather than try to improve on a proven design, they've left them alone. Unfortunately, the fuel injection on the newer Sportys has had some issues and suffers from too lean factory calibrations. That can be easily fixed with a tuner though.

Harleys are just what they are. Mediocre motorcycles with a huge following of passionate customers. I don't buy into the whole "American made" bs and all that crap. Hell, if you took all of the metric parts off a brand new one you couldn't even roll it home, never mind ride it. They will never be the " best" bike on the road, funny thing is that most people who own them don't care and would never own anything else. But the motors being a " mechanical disaster and a throw away design" ?? It's the same damn motor they've had for 30 fucking years, sans a few changes. And no, you don't see as many issues with the Sportys as you do with the Twin Cams, but there's a hell of a lot more Twin Cams on the road too. The author of that article makes a few points, but it's basically an over exaggerated, talk out of your ass piece of literature.

And to answer your other question, I've been a Harley tech for 14 years and operate my own small independent shop. I personally service over 400 bikes a year, so I've seen a few things.

The real problem with these bikes is that a lot of the owners aren't "bike" guys. They're midlife crisis guys. They go out and spend 20-30k on the latest and greatest HD only to find out it's not as quiet and reliable as their Lexus. Well, no shit. Then they get out and post all about it on the Internet to gather support from their fellow "riders" to make themselves feel better about it. People who are only half assed educated about the issues believe whatever they read and the BS just keeps flowing from there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want one them low riden baggers with the 26 in front wheel and he 10,000 watt sound system.
View Quote

26 inches is small these days.

Buy a Dyna OP.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anything I should know? I'm looking at buying a used one and would like a softtail, is there anything specific I should be looking for, issue etc? This is not my first time buying a used vehicle but it is my first time looking at harley's.
View Quote

1200+ engine.  Do not get an 883.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:13:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That article makes it sound like the TC motor is a pile of junk......
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I bought my sportster based on all the criticisms I've read on the TC, not just from that guy but others as well. Glad to hear its not as bad as they make it out to be. I really like my sporty but I may move up to a fatbob or streetbob soon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:14:14 AM EDT
[#16]
hopefully you like doing maintenance,  oil leaks and pipes. Otherwise, pepper your angus.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too expensive, but I really want a forty-eight.

Nice Bikes do you like this one ?
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/ak_rabon/Harleygirls_zps3ec5bc1d.jpg

What bike?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:40:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Moto guzzi? my old boss had one...sounds worse than a harley, while he loved the bike he definitely spent more time working on it than riding it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine things have changed haha. Don't knock it till you try it, good luck with the harley they make some nice bikes these days too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hopefully you like doing maintenance, oil leaks and pipes.
View Quote

I guess all my HDs were broken. No oil leaks or maintenance problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Truth. I have one of those 1200 GRISOs. Fantastic bikes.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dolt.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most problems arise when people fuck with them and do half-assed mods to get a 'custom choppa.'
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the internet everyone will laugh at you, in real life, everyone will still be laughing at you.

If you want fashion accessory by all means,  get a HD.   Pretty much every cruiser made by anybody else is better.

What type of riding do you envision yourself doing OP.   If it includes riding by big glass windows really slow to check out your reflection HD is your brand,  anything else, there is a better option.

Like everybody doesn't do that no matter what kind of bike you're on.

I don't know where you ride but we hardly ever see any glass windows where we like to go,  not to mention, cars, other motorcycles or people for that matter.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20141019_122922_zpsahvg25td.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_111823_zpsk789wqf0.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_111813_zps5apnam9s.jpg

That's my kind of riding right there.  Don't need anything other than my YZ250

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 Harley's. 2003 117 cube 145 hp fat boy and a 99 117 cube 136 hp road king.  Neither leak a drop and run like scalded dogs. Did the work myself.  The fat boy is definitely more fun being significantly lighter with ten more hp, but the Rk rides like a dream, and is my choice for longer distance rides.  My first choice would be road king.  Don't eliminate it from consideration because it is a 'cruiser'. There is no fairing and you will appreciate the bags.  Second choice would be a wide glide.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#25]
sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i love your avatar
View Quote

I blocked it...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:10:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah.  When you're checking the bike out, first check and make sure it says HONDA on it.  Anything else will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road and swearing at your bike.

No I'm not exaggerating.  Do you know how many broken down HDs I've seen on the side of the road in my life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything I should know? I'm looking at buying a used one and would like a softtail, is there anything specific I should be looking for, issue etc? This is not my first time buying a used vehicle but it is my first time looking at harley's.

Yeah.  When you're checking the bike out, first check and make sure it says HONDA on it.  Anything else will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road and swearing at your bike.

No I'm not exaggerating.  Do you know how many broken down HDs I've seen on the side of the road in my life?

Wanna know how you can tell a person doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.  Ask about Harleys and sooner or later they will come up with this jewel or the one about leaking oil.  Most of these assholes have never owned a Harley, but are one of the "my brothers, sons, cousin on my Mothers side owned a Harley and it..." or, like most of their other knowledge, it came right from a computer screen from some other ignorant asshole.

Over 45 years on a Harley and only one left me stranded on the side of the road (1979 model with a broken valve stem right after being rebuilt).
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I never understood threads like this.

It's like starting a thread in GD that says "I'm looking at buying my first Colt", and then asking recommendations on what to look out for and what type of Colt to buy.

Naturally, GD would ask things like "Do you currently or have you owned any other guns?"  "Have you ever shot before?" "Why Colt"?

We would then try to see what the OP was really trying to gain by buying a Colt, and ask "Why are you set on a Colt"?

If the OP came back and said, "Well, all the guys I hang out with own Colts, they go to the shooting club and talk about their Colts and all the cool things they've done to their Colts, some times they even shoot their Colts!, and oh by the way, the Colt-branded clothing is pretty cool!"...

we would mock the OP incessantly.
View Quote

What's even more stupid is the OP that states he's going to buy a Colt and then asking for opinions on what model to buy.  Almost immediately some numb nuts will come back with "Buy a Smith & Wesson".  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been on Harley since '69.  IMO the SuperGlide is the best "bang for the buck" for a Big Twin.  I'm on an '07 Superglide I bought in '10 for less than $8K.  They are like a blank canvas to make it into whatever you want.

I was on a RoadKing for ten years before the Dyna.  It was an excellent road bike, but better on the open road than the hills where I now live.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, just outed another that's comfortable in their ignorance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A road king
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A road king

This, if there is 1 bike that has it all this is it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Used to ride a soft tail, now I ride a road king.  Yes they ride noticable better.  Anything from the 2000s is fine ideally you want an EFI model from 2005+.  Don't listen to the retards in here.  Harleys haven't leaked oil in decades now and the Last two generations of motors are just as reliable as any of the Japanese companies and that's a fact.  The bottom line is that noNE of the companies these days are producing anything shit mechanically.  The technology is very good.

On a side note however you should be aware of the lessening quality of Harley chrome.  A lot of the more expensive pieces are fine but a lot of it is just cheap taiwanese shit that will rust within a few months.  I have a few pieces on my bike that just look like ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Used to ride a soft tail, now I ride a road king.  Yes they ride noticable better.  Anything from the 2000s is fine ideally you want an EFI model from 2005+.  Don't listen to the retards in here.  Harleys haven't leaked oil in decades now and the Last two generations of motors are just as reliable as any of the Japanese companies and that's a fact.  The bottom line is that noNE of the companies these days are producing anything shit mechanically.  The technology is very good.

On a side note however you should be aware of the lessening quality of Harley chrome.  A lot of the more expensive pieces are fine but a lot of it is just cheap taiwanese shit that will rust within a few months.  I have a few pieces on my bike that just look like ass.
View Quote

Sooooo this.

I've had my Softail for over ten years ('95 FXSTC) and although I love it for ripping around my AO, my bad back wishes I'd have gotten a Road King. That said, I've ridden it from south-central PA/MD border to northern MA in around 9 hours. Still, a RK would've left me in better shape to hang/party after getting there!

Thankfully, I'll be in a position to get one in '15 or '16, but I really should have gotten one from the get-go.

From what you've said, OP, I'd say a Dyna is right up your alley. Don't be afraid to go with an EVO, though. Great torque and easy to work on - and, cammed up, they all give that legendary, loping Harley sound.

Oh! And my '95 will stay, regardless of what else I get.

" />
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't get a Road King or any of the other 'baggers', because they are too soft and squishy...

... Like their owners.
View Quote

You forgot to mention slow.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I found the dyna FLD Switchback to be a good value. I love mine
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#36]

That is an excellent post, SuperAir, thanks for taking the time  I agree with your assessments on the Twin Cam vs the Evolution engine, the Evo was a solid engine and rather easy to work on and while the Twin Cam did have some initial problems it is proving to be reliable, even with the manufacturing changes to the crank and bearings used it's certainly not a throw away design.  I am hoping Baker will be able to offer a proper compensating sprocket to replace the stock design soon, it will be in my 103 Wide Glide along with their Attitude manual primary chain adjuster when it becomes available and the 6-speed transmission, yea you are right, again I'll look to Baker for an improved solution.  

I have no illusions what a Harley is or isn't, I don't think it's the 'best' motorcycle but as you posted, I'm one of those who doesn't care about that and I accept them for what they are, they are something of an enthusiasts motorcycle and those who buy them as a status symbol or the mid-life crisis cure can sometimes be disappointed and very vocal over it...

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A neighbor of mine had a 1986 Softail Custom that he rode every day it wasn't snowing or raining. He's one of the guys who got me into motorcycles, and one of the guys I rode to Sturgis with when I was 17(I had a Kawasaki, but nobody cared). He put almost 65,000 miles on the 1340 Evo engine before he had it rebuilt, but soon after traded it for a '56 Panhead.

And regretted it every day. The Softy was so damn reliable and oil tight that he wasn't prepared for the continual maintenance that the Panhead required. It dripped, rattled, and did all the stereotypical things you expect out of an old Hog. He moved away and I don't know if be kept the Panhead or went back to an Evo, but he should have. A Softail Custom with 2 3/4" drag pipes and Sportster bars is my idea of what a Harley SHOULD look like, and it's totally based on his old bike.

The bunch he rode with were good people, and definitely NOT midlife-crisis wannabe pirate bikers. Just working-class men and women who loved to ride.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't remember the specific years but from 2000 to 2008 they had timing chain tensioner fails at about 60,000 miles or so..2009 and later had an improved design to eliminate this issue.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Do your self a favor and buy Japanese bike like Yamaha . HD are maintenance hogs lol ..

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Do your self a favor and buy Japanese bike like Yamaha . HD are maintenance hogs lol ..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is so maintenance intensive about the Harley?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are they maintenance hogs exactly?  A Harley Davidson is simple to maintain and easier to work on than the typical Japanese bike, the real problem is the era of the motorcycling enthusiast who actually has some common sense and a bit of mechanical ability is gone...

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Not that it matters what anyone posts in these threads....

OP if you want a Harley than go for it. There are tremendously better performing bikes out there but it is not always about that. If you like them who cares.

I would go Road king personally for a close to stock bike. But in truth the only Harley I would have any real interest in is a  rigid bobber or an older bike like a 45 or a knuckle.

But if you like soft tails then buy that. There is not enough of a real world performance difference to matter when it comes to Harleys so buy what appeals to you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Harley bashers are jealous people. Ride what you want.

I owned Yahama, Honda and currently a 06 Road king.

The most fun bike was the Honda 1100 Shadow. As It got older it was hard to get some parts. So I sold it for the Road King.
I admit I don't ride like I did, but I need  bags on it because if I stop to buy a few things at the store or go to the range, I need to carry stuff. I also need a windshield. I grew tired of eating bugs.

I service my bike every year. With that said, I had 1 failure with my bike this year. The battery died when it was 7 years old. That's it. I work on my own stuff. This spring I changed the exhaust, added a stage 1 mod and put new tires and brakes on it. All the work with my 2 hands. That battery was $130 bucks BTW. Big bucks for a lawnmower sized battery down at auto zone. I also added the brace to the suspension. The bagger boogie caught me and I didn't care for that feeling. I thought I had a rear tire going flat, not.

The bike sits in my garage, otherwise. I try and avoid rain as I'm getting tired of it. I use to be a real biker, ride in all conditions and so on, but a nice warm dry truck seems so much better now. Maybe I got soft?

I put flags on it for the 4th of July.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The most fun bike was the Honda 1100 Shadow. As It got older it was hard to get some parts. So I sold it for the Road King.

I admit I don't ride like I did, but I need  bags on it because if I stop to buy a few things at the store or go to the range, I need to carry stuff. I also need a windshield. I grew tired of eating bugs.

I service my bike every year. With that said, I had 1 failure with my bike this year. The battery died when it was 7 years old. That's it. I work on my own stuff. This spring I changed the exhaust, added a stage 1 mod and put new tires and brakes on it. All the work with my 2 hands. That battery was $130 bucks BTW. Big bucks for a lawnmower sized battery down at auto zone. I also added the brace to the suspension. The bagger boogie caught me and I didn't care for that feeling. I thought I had a rear tire going flat, not.

The bike sits in my garage, otherwise. I try and avoid rain as I'm getting tired of it. I use to be a real biker, ride in all conditions and so on, but a nice warm dry truck seems so much better now. Maybe I got soft?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/500magnumnut/gun%20room/internet1_zpsaa0866ef.jpg

View Quote
Ive been a motorcycle mechanic since 1995 and have worked on thousands of bikes of all types...lol  guess idkwtf im talking about . smh v-twin is a horrible design one cylinder blowing hot air over the other ...ect nfm.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maintenance Hogs, You've got to be kidding me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ive been a motorcycle mechanic since 1995 and have worked on thousands of bikes of all types...lol  guess idkwtf im talking about . smh v-twin is a horrible design one cylinder blowing hot air over the other ...ect nfm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/500magnumnut/gun%20room/internet1_zpsaa0866ef.jpg

Re-mapping the engine made a huge difference in the power / comfort department. Pulling the cats off made me feel great!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#47]
2003 FXDWG Wide Glide, great bike, very few problems,  no leaks.  I like the Dynas, very smooth riding bikes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#48]
My advice would be to select several different models that appeal to you and fit the type of riding you do, research those models for known problems and then go to a dealer for a test ride on those that you still want. You also might  want to consider other brands and test ride them unless you just have to have a Harley, when I started looking at new bikes this last spring I thought I wanted either a Road Glide or Victory Cross Country and ended up with this

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Buy a really loud one so I can flip you off
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#50]
check out the Switchback.

the saddlebags and windshield are quick detach so its kinda like two bikes in one.

heres mine

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top