Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
check out the Switchback.

the saddlebags and windshield are quick detach so its kinda like two bikes in one.

heres mine

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/devilman13xx/bike/20141211_160804.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/devilman13xx/bike/20141211_160835.jpg
View Quote

The Switchback. The most over looked, underratd HD since the end of production of the FXR. If I was looking for a brand new HD the Dyna Switchback would be my choice. Awesome all around package, and waaay more nimble than a Roadking. I have no idea why Harley doesn't sell a ton more of these.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The Switchback. The most over looked, underratd HD since the end of production of the FXR. If I was looking for a brand new HD the Dyna Switchback would be my choice. Awesome all around package, and waaay more nimble than a Roadking. I have no idea why Harley doesn't sell a ton more of these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the saddlebags and windshield are quick detach so its kinda like two bikes in one.

heres mine

i was reeeallly wanting a streetglide when i got mine.
i wasnt able to swing the payment on the SG so they showed me the switchback.
love at 1st sight.
i got to ride a SG a while after and am really glad i didnt get one. it handled like a dog compared to the switchback.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I blocked it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i love your avatar

I blocked it...

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That is an excellent post, SuperAir, thanks for taking the time  I agree with your assessments on the Twin Cam vs the Evolution engine, the Evo was a solid engine and rather easy to work on and while the Twin Cam did have some initial problems it is proving to be reliable, even with the manufacturing changes to the crank and bearings used it's certainly not a throw away design.  I am hoping Baker will be able to offer a proper compensating sprocket to replace the stock design soon, it will be in my 103 Wide Glide along with their Attitude manual primary chain adjuster when it becomes available and the 6-speed transmission, yea you are right, again I'll look to Baker for an improved solution.  

I have no illusions what a Harley is or isn't, I don't think it's the 'best' motorcycle but as you posted, I'm one of those who doesn't care about that and I accept them for what they are, they are something of an enthusiasts motorcycle and those who buy them as a status symbol or the mid-life crisis cure can sometimes be disappointed and very vocal over it...

View Quote

Exactly.

Wanted to expand on the Trans/ primary thing for anyone who is curious. First of all, The 5 speed and older primary set-up was way more reliable. Unfortunately HD really didn't need to put a 6 speed in these bikes as the motor is fine with a 5 speed at highway speeds. Alot of people just felt like they were pushing them too hard. When they first released the 6 speed the transmission had the same 1:1 ratio as the 5 speed and the changed the final gearing to get the RPM down. The stock HD 6 speed is not an overdrive like the Baker. The first couple of years the 6 speed was out, the final gearing was all screwed up and 6th gear was practically useless in the heavier bikes. They addressed that issue in 09 and the result was that the bikes accelerated better, felt smoother and stayed in the power better while cruising at highway speeds. Twist the throttle on a stock 07-08  bagger in 6th gear at 65mph and you'll probably slow down due  the motor not being able to pull that shitty gearing.

For some reason, All of the 6 speed  primary and transmission problems I have seen have been in "A" motor bikes. Aside from a few 06 Dynas, they have all been in the touring platform, mostly 2007-2010.

One of the problems is that damn auto chain tensioner. It keeps the chain too tight. The first mod I would make is to a manual tensioner. The chains don't stretch much at all after new so not having a window to adjust it is no big deal. Pull the cover, put it in, adjust it and forget about it. It most likely won't change much if at all over the course of 10,000 miles. The other problem with the primary design is that the compensator is very poor. It is a weak design and prone to wear. A lot of old school HD guys run ATF in the primary and there is some consensus out there that alot of the issues we saw early on were due to the ATF not providing adequate lubrication for the compensator design. It sucks. IT has been updated about 5 times since 2007, and it still sucks. The current Screamin Eagle version sucks too, in case anyone was wondering about that . The poor design can causes excessive shock force to the crankshaft, the clutch, transmission, the starter drive and the drive belt. Just about EVERY 2007 and later bike I ride has some form of compensator noise due to that POS not compensating anything.

The two other issues in these two area are the trans design and the bearings. The bearings( not all but most) in the trans and primary aren't German that's for sure. More than likely they come from Indonesia or Mexico. Seriously. As far as the trans design, It has helical cut gears. The old five speed had straight cut gears. With a helical cut transmission gear, when you accelerate and decelerate the forces from the helical cut gears are pushed sideways along the transmission shafts. With straight cut gears the forces are exerted perpendicular to the shaft. I'm no engineer so I'm not sure that the proper way to describe it so I will use below scenario as an example.

You maintain a small amount of slack in the clutch cable. This is there so that the clutch does not slip due to the cable being too tight and taking pressure off the clutch. On a straight cut 5 speed or Baker OD6 You can ride down the road and roll on and off the throttle with your fingers on the clutch lever and that "play" never changes.

With a helical cut 6 speed like HDs design, if you do the same thing you can feel the slack in the cable come and go as you roll on and off the throttle. This is due to the helical cut gears trying to force the transmission bearings out the side of the transmission. Ball bearings are not meant to be side loaded like that. If you have a post 06 HD with a 6 speed try it some time and you will see what I am saying. Whats really odd is that there are a ton of these things out there and the failures seem to be somewhat random. The transmission shafts actually move back and forth under a side load and it causes the clutch cable adjustment to change. As a real world example I had two bikes last year(both 08 Streetglides) brought in for replacement clutches. Upon dis assembly I found that the clutch was in primo condition, but both the transmission main bearing and trap door bearings bearings were junk and the transmission was actually side loading enough to release the clutch and cause it to slip. The Baker DD6 has a very similar design, but is manufactured with better components and to a higher standard, however  I have seen the DD6 Bakers fail in high horsepower applications due to the same problem in design. Baker actually recommends that the DD6 not be installed in bikes over 100 HP due to this very design issue. The DD6 is a very good trans if used for its intended prupose and the Baker OD6 is a fantastic transmission. Burt Baker also has THE best warranty of anyone making parts for American Big Twins and their customer service is second to none.

Boomstick, you got mail

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

heres mine

Truth. Rit Booth knew what he was doing when he designed the Dyna.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hopefully you like doing maintenance,  oil leaks and pipes. Otherwise, pepper your angus.
View Quote

Sorry Man, but 1984 came and went.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

<snip>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

A very complete post, SuperAir, thank you for sharing your insights, I find talking with experienced real world technicians very revealing and informative.  I completely agree with you on the 6-speed transmission, it was not necessary to move from the tried and true straight cut gear 5-speed.  I'd suspect owner feedback helped prompt the change, if 5 is good 6 must be better, you hear the same complaint from Yamaha FJR owners, everyone else has a 6-speed, why not us?  Yamaha has wisely chosen to ignore the banter...

Interesting observation on the 'A' engine and primary/transmission failures.  I was recently talking to a local tech and he said every 6-speed transmission failure he'd seen was running synthetic motor oil in the transmission.  I realize the MoCo has recommended their Syn3 20w-50 motor oil for the transmission but in my mind no matter if straight cut or helical cut, gears need gear oil.  Sure, filling all 3 holes with one type of oil may be convenient but I don't think it's actually a prudent idea.  The day I bought my '13 Wide Glide with 1 mile on the ODO I immediately ran RPM drills to seat the rings then drained the mystery oil from all 3 holes at 20 miles and refilled the transmission with 85-140 GL5 Valvoline gear oil, primary with SAE 30 Valvoline and the engine with SAE 50 Valvoline VR1 racing oil, mounted a permanent oil filter and adjusted the clutch, no 'clunk' going into first from then on.  I realize oil discussions are much like discussions on religion, but I do wonder if in trying for convenience the transmissions are not being properly lubricated on top of all the other questionable changes that were made.

I too miss the inspection window and manual primary adjustment, I never realized it was so hard to do occasionally.  The rumor is Baker may have their compensating sprocket available in February, with my bikes taking their winter naps I can have some patience but if it's not available by spring I'll pull the primary apart and install the Baker Attitude manual primary chain adjuster, I've already been in the '13's primary and you're exactly right, the chain is too damn tight, I can't even imagine HD's thinking on that change other than perhaps it gives the outward appearance of 'simpler' maintenance.  An auto chain adjuster is a stupid idea, it can only get tighter... dumb dumb dumb... Either way, it's out of my bike before her first ride in spring.

I had a bit of a hard time buying the '13, it's my first fuel injected Harley, that just seems wrong to me.  I understand the reasoning why, but carburetors forever baby!  A few shims, a few jets, an adjustment of the air screw is sure simpler than all the fuel management devices becoming popular now... oh well...

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, no Syn 3 in trannies for my customers. They get Redline Shockproof or Amsoil severe gear if they want synthetic. I recommend HDs formula+ in a 6 speed primary. Not sure why HD specs a motor oil for all 3 cavities as they are 3 entirely different systems with entirely different lubrication needs.

I think another issue is that when they went to the 6 speed, HD changed the interval from 5k on trans/pri fluid to 10k on primary and 20k on transmission. Alot of people are waiting that long to do it. They hold a quart each, jesus christ people change it once a year whether its due or not!

The latest rendition of the crappy SE compensator from Harley comes with a plastic oil deflector that you must epoxy to the inside of the primary cover. It deflects oil onto the compensator  radial bearing. What's that tell you........

ETA: forgot to mention this.
I have a customer whom in 2012 bought a brand new 2013 Heritage limited. He was at a rally talking to a rep from HD and had always run redline in his other bike. He decided to ask the guy about oil just to see what he'd say.

He told the rep he was running the Syn 3 in all locations as supplied from the factory and the rep told him he should take the Syn 3 out of the primary and trans and replace it with formula+ as soon as he got home.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
had 2 new ones in 2000 and 2001.  Were nice and shiny. (FXDX and FLHRCI). Sold and bought Kawa Meanstreak, Sold and bought Ducati. Son born soon after.
Lost money on everything except the Kawa-YMMV
I'm now 41, and if had the funds and time-I'd buy some sort of dual-sport/naked bike.
FIL looking to sell his 2000 Road King Classic and can't believe how low the market is...tried to tell him
nows a good time to buy!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep, no Syn 3 in trannies for my customers. They get Redline Shockproof or Amsoil severe gear if they want synthetic. I recommend HDs formula+ in a 6 speed primary. Not sure why HD specs a motor oil for all 3 cavities as they are 3 entirely different systems with entirely different lubrication needs.

I think another issue is that when they went to the 6 speed, HD changed the interval from 5k on trans/pri fluid to 10k on primary and 20k on transmission. Alot of people are waiting that long to do it. They hold a quart each, jesus christ people change it once a year whether its due or not!

The latest rendition of the crappy SE compensator from Harley comes with a plastic oil deflector that you must epoxy to the inside of the primary cover. It deflects oil onto the compensator  radial bearing. What's that tell you........

I have a customer whom in 2012 bought a brand new 2013 Heritage limited. He was at a rally talking to a rep from HD and had always run redline in his other bike. He decided to ask the guy about oil just to see what he'd say.

He told the rep he was running the Syn 3 in all locations as supplied from the factory and the rep told him he should take the Syn 3 out of the primary and trans and replace it with formula+ as soon as he got home.
View Quote

You're right, I completely forgot about HD extending the change intervals on the primary and transmission, it seems pretty dumb considering how easy and inexpensive it is to change, I do the primary and transmission at every engine/filter change, I mean, one oil pan can catch all 3 holes at once so why not?  With the point loading of the gears shearing the oil to pieces in the transmission why HD recommend their Syn3 motor oil with little zinc, phosphorus, and anti-wear additives and then a 20k change interval instead of a proper GL5 gear oil and a 5k change interval is mystifying, or perhaps planned failure, I don't know.  I've never seen an analysis of Formula+, it's clearly a gear oil but what type of additive package is anyone's guess, limiting it to the primary is a good solution.

I have seen the plastic oil deflector, you need the special epoxy to stick in in the primary cover, no thanks HD    I did see the '14's primary covers were updated and now incorporate the oil deflector design into them, why epoxy in plastic parts when you can buy a new cover for just a few bux more?  Still won't fix the problem, just get it to perhaps last long enough to get you out of warranty...

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an '02 Road King which is super reliable.  Talking to an ace HD mechanic at the gun club and he said I should definitely get the cam shoes checked before 20K miles.  
I love the detachable windshield, nice ride, and bags to put my shit in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Harleys make all the sense in the world where most roads are straight and flat and boring or where congestion is high, such as in most of the Midwest, much of the East Coast, and so on. They make far less sense in places where there are mountains and twisty roads.
View Quote

And that is why there are a ton of them around here....boring freaking roads
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:40:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ran the Syn 3 in my tranny for exactly one day then changed it back to my regular Valvoline synthetic gear oil.  The damned tranny sounded like someone had whacked it with a hammer every time I put it in gear.  Some sounds you just know aren't good.

I run the Formula + in the primary as I don't need to pick and choose what auto oil has the right or wrong additives to affect the clutch.  The crankcase gets whatever synthetic, multi-grade, 50W oil is on sale at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Check your IM's. op!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:01:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Harleys make all the sense in the world where most roads are straight and flat and boring or where congestion is high, such as in most of the Midwest, much of the East Coast, and so on. They make far less sense in places where there are mountains and twisty roads.

Exacta-fucking-mente

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I ran the Syn 3 in my tranny for exactly one day then changed it back to my regular Valvoline synthetic gear oil.  The damned tranny sounded like someone had whacked it with a hammer every time I put it in gear.  Some sounds you just know aren't good.

I run the Formula + in the primary as I don't need to pick and choose what auto oil has the right or wrong additives to affect the clutch.  The crankcase gets whatever synthetic, multi-grade, 50W oil is on sale at Wal-Mart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah a good gear lube in the tranny can make a dramatic difference in the sound and shifting performance.  Both of my bikes have baker six speeds and are filled with red line heavy shockproof.  Primaries run royal purple ATF as specked by Rivera for their pro clutch.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#17]
28K on my 2011 ultra. 20/50 Brad Pen in all three holes. I change Primary and Trany every 10K.
Engine oil every 4 to 5K..no noise and no issues.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top