BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Know how I know you've never driven one ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a turd. Go test drive a Nissan Maxima with a CVT and floor it. You'll forget all about that firechicken.

Know how I know you've never driven one ?

I have.  It's just OK.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well shoot.  Dealership about an hour away has an 02 Firehawk with t-tops and a 6spd on Craigslist.

Actually, pictures all show it as a Firehawk (judging by hood intake, door and bumper decals, and partial glimpse of center console badge.... I'm not sure what else to look for in the pics), but it's listed as a Formula.  Fake FH, or did they not know what to list it as?  No price of course.  I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get that out of them for shits and giggles.  
View Quote

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/921275-how-tell-if-its-real-firehawk.html
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well shoot.  Dealership about an hour away has an 02 Firehawk with t-tops and a 6spd on Craigslist.

Actually, pictures all show it as a Firehawk (judging by hood intake, door and bumper decals, and partial glimpse of center console badge.... I'm not sure what else to look for in the pics), but it's listed as a Formula.  Fake FH, or did they not know what to list it as?  No price of course.  I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get that out of them for shits and giggles.  
View Quote
You never know.  The dealership that i bought my WS6 from thought they were selling a regular trans am because it didn't come with the ram air hood.

ETA i think technically all V8 firebirds are formulas
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome cars. Im a fbody/ls1 junkie. I have a 99 trans am (where my username comes from). Im in the process of redoing thr whole car. 4th gen fbidies are the best budget muscle car hands down. The aftermarket is unbelievable for them too. The price for that particular one seems a bit high though. Get a 6 speed too. The 4l60s werent known for being very strong.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We have a turbo F-body drag car.  

Granted it is not stock.  But I didn't think it was all that bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did a tune up on my friends C5 a couple months age.  All in all,  Not horrible until I got to the rear two plugs on the drivers side.  

I had to remove the inner wheel well and use a miles worth of extensions.  Putting it back in was a pain in the ass.  Silicone hose on the extension and pushed onto the plug,  it was kind of a bugger.  

Those two can be hard, but once you learn where to hold your wrench, you don't have to go through all that trouble. I can tell you never had to change them on an Fbody though. That's something you don't forget.

What do you race it in? Me and my dad are building my trans am around ultra street rules and for local stuff.

347 stock crank forged rods and pistons
Trick flow 235 heads  with studs
Probly going to do a billet wheeled 76mm turbo
8.50 cage

Hoping to get it to go 5.30s

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Those damn C6's keep whispering in my ear to buy one of them. Sooner or later, they are going to get the better of me.

Get a 2004 Goat. seriously, the aussies know how to put an interior together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Build quality is pretty bad on those cars.  The unibody is about as stiff as a rubber band.

They can be good cars with some work.  I would spend more and get a low mileage one since most of these cars have probably had the piss beat out of them.

Or just spend a few thousand more and get a C5 Corvette.. they solve many of the f-body issues out of the box.

Those damn C6's keep whispering in my ear to buy one of them. Sooner or later, they are going to get the better of me.

+1 on a GTO. Unibody built like a bank vault compared to the F-body, maintenance-friendly under the hood, interior that is 50x better.

Just dont ever get in an accident in one; replacement parts are getting pricey.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I drive a 3.5 altima and your post gave me aids
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a turd. Go test drive a Nissan Maxima with a CVT and floor it. You'll forget all about that firechicken.

I drive a 3.5 altima and your post gave me aids

Haha, same here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You never know.  The dealership that i bought my WS6 from thought they were selling a regular trans am because it didn't come with the ram air hood.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$11,950 with about 98k miles.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually,
pictures all show it as a Firehawk (judging by hood intake, door and
bumper decals, and partial glimpse of center console badge.... I'm not
sure what else to look for in the pics), but it's listed as a Formula.  
Fake FH, or did they not know what to list it as?  No price of course.  
I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get that out of them for shits and
giggles.  

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/921275-how-tell-if-its-real-firehawk.html
Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And I guarantee the modern v6 won't touch it.

God you people are car ignorant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol a modern v6 matches that output

They must have missed seeing them run low 13s@105+ stock and putting 300 to wheels even though they were rated 305 crank.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They must have missed seeing them run low 13s@105+ stock and putting 300 to wheels even though they were rated 305 crank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mustangs and Fast Fords (?) got a stock LS1 camaro into the high 12s with just tires I believe.  These cars are 350hp from the factory.  I've had 2 and love 'em.  (Currently have a '02 Z28)
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mustangs and Fast Fords (?) got a stock LS1 camaro into the high 12s with just tires I believe.  These cars are 350hp from the factory.  I've had 2 and love 'em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mustangs and Fast Fords (?) got a stock LS1 camaro into the high 12s with just tires I believe.  These cars are 350hp from the factory.  I've had 2 and love 'em.

I don't believe shit Evan Smith said. We almost whooped his ass at fun ford Ennis.

It was a bitch to beat them with my '00 GT. Luckily most guys needed driver mod.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
My buddy has 02 WS6 6MT, FBO heads and cam with only 36k miles on it.
Prob my favorite Fbody and he owns one of one of the better examples around.

LS engines obviously respond better to mods then most engines but don't think it's cheap to mod, I think some people make that mistake.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing I recommend before modding is to find a good TUNER. No hypertech or diablo sport. Make sure they are reputable if local, or find a reputable mail order tune. H/C/I/E/Gears will do no good if you don't have a good tune.

Edit: LS1TECH has a regional forum of sorts so I'm sure you can find someone close by. If not there are plenty of guys you can mail your computer to and have it tuned.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One thing I recommend before modding is to find a good TUNER. No hypertech or diablo sport. Make sure they are reputable if local, or find a reputable mail order tune. H/C/I/E/Gears will do no good if you don't have a good tune.

Edit: LS1TECH has a regional forum of sorts so I'm sure you can find someone close by. If not there are plenty of guys you can mail your computer to and have it tuned.
View Quote

+1 on the tuner, but you don't really need it for bolt-ons like intake and exhaust. Heads and cam swap will most likely always need a custom tune (like post above said, find someone that is skilled with EFI Live, not the cheap stuff). Once you go over a certain HP threshold, you'll have to upgrade your injectors. If you ever need a good mail-order tune to get you by temporarily....seek out a guy that goes by the handle "Frost", he's highly regarded at ls1tech as the most skilled mail-order LS1 tuner.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, no?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1 on a GTO. Unibody built like a bank vault compared to the F-body, maintenance-friendly under the hood, interior that is 50x better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Build quality is pretty bad on those cars.  The unibody is about as stiff as a rubber band.

They can be good cars with some work.  I would spend more and get a low mileage one since most of these cars have probably had the piss beat out of them.

Or just spend a few thousand more and get a C5 Corvette.. they solve many of the f-body issues out of the box.

My 2004 gto with 408 stroker and nitrous ran 10.2 at 135 mph in 1/4 mile.  I sold it a few years back.  It was a nice car, but for drag racing you are better to start with an fbody.

2004 GTO 408 idle clip
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The interior on those things was fucking hideous.
View Quote

Most 90's cars had suckass interiors.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Pontiac variation had the better interior in the case of the 4th gen fbody. I had a leather equipped T/A with interior that was actually tolerable...but before that I had a cloth equipped Camaro and it was just awful IMO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Pontiac variation had the better interior of the case of the 4th gen fbody. I had a leather equipped T/A that the interior was actually tolerable...but before that I had a cloth equipped Camaro and it was just awful IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Pontiac variation had the better interior of the case of the 4th gen fbody. I had a leather equipped T/A that the interior was actually tolerable...but before that I had a cloth equipped Camaro and it was just awful IMO.

Way too much 'organic' and ovoid things in most interiors back then, even the radio in the Ford Taurus was an ellipse.
It got old fast.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Way too much 'organic' and ovoid things in most interiors back then, even the radio in the Ford Taurus was an ellipse.
It got old fast.
View Quote

I know what you mean. Also, most of the plastic was flimsy and was often assembled loose enough to eventually rattle and squeak back then. The CD/tape decks really date that generation of cars.

But there is something that I really miss about those 90's interiors....a "tilt wheel" that actually had a wide range of motion. This era's version of a tilted steering wheel is pathetic!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Uh, no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, no?
Uh, yes.  The formula rpo code is on every trans am and ws6.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those cars with the LS motors can be insane with some work.

I used to own a Maxima, '11 SV, and while it was surprisingly quick it's NO comparison to a V8 RWD car

EDIT: Spelling
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread makes me wish I hadn't gave this to my daughter for graduation. 1988 IROC-Z I bought in 1991 for $5500.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This thread makes me wish I hadn't gave this to my daughter for graduation. 1988 IROC-Z I bought in 1991 for $5500.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/jabrownii/88IROCCONV_zps171d77b0.jpg
View Quote
Bought in Jan of 98, and still my daily driver.  3.4, but it averages upper 20's... usually... for mileage.  It does need a lot of work though.  I'm starting to see the appeal of a newer car.  I'm just too cheap though.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bought in Jan of 98, and still my daily driver.  3.4, but it averages upper 20's... usually... for mileage.  It does need a lot of work though.  I'm starting to see the appeal of a newer car.  I'm just too cheap though.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/fbird_zps9d87bc35.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/jabrownii/88IROCCONV_zps171d77b0.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/fbird_zps9d87bc35.jpg

What paint code is that? It looks similar to the Sunset Orange Metallic...I wish my car was SOM
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys are making miss my 96 TA

Not much room under the hood, especially with the LT4-based small block 396, ATI D1 Supercharger, extra injector controller box (to allow 72lb injectors), custom fuel system, and strut tower brace (which complimented the welded in sub-frame connectors).  Dyno tested at 720 RWHP on 17 PSIG.

Car was setup fro road racing, not drag racing, but here's a slow launch o the way to a 11.22@131 pass.  Had to take it easy on the Torsen rear.

Eventually, the mods came to twice the price of the car. But it passed rolling emissions testing in PA, and got 25 MPG on the highway.  Was a very easy to handle daily driver that was faster and handled better than 98% of the cars on the street. Plus, it was a fun hobby to build and wrench on.

Fastest I ever took it was a measured 177 MPH on the track at Gateway in St. Louis. Car still had more in it, I didn't.

Eventually switched hobbies from fast cars to Title II guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:16:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What do you race it in? Me and my dad are building my trans am around ultra street rules and for local stuff.

8.50 cage

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did a tune up on my friends C5 a couple months age.  All in all,  Not horrible until I got to the rear two plugs on the drivers side.  

I had to remove the inner wheel well and use a miles worth of extensions.  Putting it back in was a pain in the ass.  Silicone hose on the extension and pushed onto the plug,  it was kind of a bugger.  

Those two can be hard, but once you learn where to hold your wrench, you don't have to go through all that trouble. I can tell you never had to change them on an Fbody though. That's something you don't forget.

8.50 cage

TFS 235's on a 3.905 bore? You sure, sparky?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 04-06 GTOs are pretty solid although they have their particular problems like the f-bodies. Cheaper parts can be found through breaker yards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Try a fuckin' Vette.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
See user name.

Very fun cars,  ive owned 3 LS1s and an ls3.  If you can find an 01 or 02, they will be faster as they got some upgrades borrowed from the LS6.  Very first mod should be a strut tower brace, this will help the sloppy ass body feel a bit more solid and may even help with the squeeks and rattles.  

I owned a 98 Formula auto, was my first V8 and i loved it, added a wisper lid and cutout and it ran a 13.4@106.  Very few stock cars will touch that even today.

My favorite was my 02 WS6 6sp, god this car was fun,  was a factory freak too, Car made 324 Rear wheel Hp stock and 344 rear wheel hp after lid and exhaust.  Ran a 12.99@111 mpg.  

Let me know if you have questions,  ive busted many a knuckle working on them.

My 01 Z28 made 330 rwhp, 340 ft-lbs with just an exhaust and intake...And that was with an automatic and the shitty 10 bolt rear with 2.73's.

OP, have fun changing the spark plugs when you get around to it...Also the rear end is a weak point on these cars, you'll have issues with that far before the engine or trans.

I mean...

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h431/91lxmustang/evyvu6uv.jpg
This was me last summer

Try a fuckin' Vette.  

What year?...my son's C5 Z06 was a piece of cake to do the plugs on....his C4 was even easier.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Frost in Richmond is one of the best.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fuck yeah. Those things are muscle cars, always wanted the GTO with the 6.0 in it, and I am a Ford guy...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah. Those things are muscle cars, always wanted the GTO with the 6.0 in it, and I am a Ford guy...  

The 2004 has a 5.7 in it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I have auto-x'd my buddy's 2000 Anniversary Edition a few times.  Basically a great engine and transmission stuck in a flimsy poor handling chassis.  It's actually so 'effed up that at auto-x speeds it's a hoot to drive.  I think it would be flat out scary at race track speeds though.  With better shocks, a slight drop, some AR bars, and a better limited slip, it might be acceptable for a live axle car.  In stock form its a disaster.  But wildly entertaining.  Like skiing a slalom on stilts.

I personally find the styling abysmal, particularly inside.  The melted plastic-looking dash is just horrid, and the "look at me" striped paint scheme and blue wheels are silly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely laughable.

A stock LS Formula is at least a full second faster in the 1/4 in any real world scenario, and it has vast superiority in ease of modification to produce even more power/results. There is no reasonable comparison to be made between those cars in ANY kind of race (unless were talking the tow truck "racing" to the Nissan dealer to repair that piece of shit Nissan CVT tranny).

-Ed
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a 96 Z28 1LE and a 99 SS with the Y2Y package and all the goodies from SLP(Bilsteins, Allison rear end, Dual Dual stainless exhaust)  The Formulas are fast for their day and the LS1 is a great motor.  The Trans Ams looked much better and hold value better.  Yet the Formula was still a good ride, but the interiors look bad by todays standards The 94-97 interiors looked better IMHO. Also like all 4th gen F bodies the Traction control was very invasive.  100K miles and the suspension will have to be gone thru, the motor and tranny should be good if maintained.  Maybe a new clutch if it's a stick.  Cheap cars to work on over all.  Decent brakes, but will fade quick with cheap/stock pads and discs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Let me remind everyone:

I don't want to spend the money for a new one.

I drive 3k miles a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me remind everyone:

I drive 3k miles a year.

w/ an LS ,  a few grand could get him another 150-200 hp.

I've got a thirdgen sitting in the driveway.  I say go for it.  F-Bodys are fun.  Put in subframe connectors and you will take care of the weak unibody.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Screw the haters, the LS platform is a huge positive and the cars are fun handling, respond very well to bolt on's and faster than people give them credit.

I miss my 02 Z/28 but not as much as my C1500 street truck.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nissan 350/370Z?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've got a thirdgen sitting in the driveway.  I say go for it.  F-Bodys are fun.  Put in subframe connectors and you will take care of the weak unibody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me remind everyone:

I drive 3k miles a year.

It's going to cost you much more than that to gain 150-200hp.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy fucking derp.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nissan 350/370Z?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nissan 350/370Z?

I used to smash on Nissan 350Zs in my old Lt1 z28. A LS car would destroy one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

8.50 cage

Good catch. Must of had something else on my mind. Theyre 225's. Suprised you didnt also notice that they arent legal for ultra street. Were hoping for a rule change to allowe non stock valve angles on boosted ls motors by the time were done
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Old floppy handling GM car with bad suspension and terrible interior.

Also the engine doesn't act like it has that much horsepower.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL 14er.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

After reading this I realize you are correct. I threw away thousands of dollars on a POS.

I will put 100 lbs of Tannerite in it and correct my faulty thinking.

Thank you Sir for being pragmatic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading this I realize you are correct. I threw away thousands of dollars on a POS.

I had one of the first redesigned 1998 Camaros with the new/old LS1 (I think that's the year they switched over from the LT1).

Unless that particular one was a turd, I wasn't very impressed with the car.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I had one of the first redesigned 1998 Camaros with the new/old LS1 (I think that's the year they switched over from the LT1).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not impressed compared to what?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly, the GT Mustang I traded for it
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, what year GT mustang?  Mods?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 'stang was a 95.

I liked to do a lot of weekend road course racing/SCCA stuff back then, so both cars were set up with track suspensions and semi-slick racing tires. Engines were stock.

When I had it mostly dialed in, I could not match my lap times with the Mustang. The Camaro was faster off of the line, but didn't handle very well.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top