Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like the steel plates are really popular.  Aren't people worried about m193?  Seems like a pretty common threat in the US.
View Quote

Found this on SS109 green tip

Found this on M193

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

CATI has these plates on their website too.

http://www.catiarmor.com/Frag-Coated-Set-2-10x12s_p_33.html

http://www.catiarmor.com/Frag-Coated-Set-10x12s-and-6x8-Side-Plates_p_29.html

Extra 15% off with coupon code "ARFCOM15" until January 18th 2015.  Uncoated, Coated, or Base Coat.  After the discount, this is an even better deal than the eBay sale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In. Next question, where do I get an affordable but decent level III plate set?

Just jumped on this sale, $157 10x12 steel plates
Looks like it is only on sale for another 45 mins. I have no connection to the company.

Extra 15% off with coupon code "ARFCOM15" until January 18th 2015.  Uncoated, Coated, or Base Coat.  After the discount, this is an even better deal than the eBay sale.

And another deal closer to divorce.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seems like the steel plates are really popular.  Aren't people worried about m193?  Seems like a pretty common threat in the US.
View Quote

What about it?

Below is a pretty comprehensive review (written and video) from a guy who purchased his own plates for independent testing from both The Target Man and AR500 Armor.

Both brands of plates stopped 193 and 855 (in addition to many other calibers) at 10 yards.

Written review

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What about it?

Below is a pretty comprehensive review (written and video) from a guy who purchased his own plates for independent testing from both The Target Man and AR500 Armor.

Both brands of plates stopped 193 and 855 (in addition to many other calibers) at 10 yards.

Written review

http://youtu.be/-v_916ZYUIo

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about it?

Written review

http://youtu.be/-v_916ZYUIo

Good post.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My carrier showed up today. Very happy with quality upon visual inspection. I'm 6ft 3in and 200lbs, fits well. Gotta pick up my extra plates from parents basement tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
got mine in today. VERY VERY happy with it. definantly heavy 6 freindly [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]. much better fit than cheapo gallati carrier. may order a second for the wife. she has a DB preatorian already but this would let us both have one in each vehicle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad you guys are happy with them! I'm excited to receive mine. Though according to tracking I won't have it until the 29th.

I just need to find some plates and other accessories for it. So many options!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Welp I caved and ordered one. Not sure what I am going to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks, these links are probably good enough prices to be added to the OP to complete the carrier. Now where are the cheapest trauma pad inserts? :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In. Next question, where do I get an affordable but decent level III plate set?

Just jumped on this sale, $157 10x12 steel plates
Looks like it is only on sale for another 45 mins. I have no connection to the company.

Thanks, these links are probably good enough prices to be added to the OP to complete the carrier. Now where are the cheapest trauma pad inserts? :)

My PC shipped and should arrive by Chritmas Eve. Im considering the coated CATI plates set front and sides, tell me about the 'trauma pad inserts' im a body armor newb? What additional protection do these provide and how are they necessary? CATI ebay advertisement claims superior manufacturing as compared to others, specfically how they are 'die curved'. With the coupon code the price seems right. That is to my door $187.

Thanks
Bishop3
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine says it should be here on Monday, but it's sitting at the distribution hub down the road. It it gets bumped up for delivery, and I get it early enough tomorrow, I'll post some pics and do a quick review.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Got mine today. I am a typical lardass on arfcom, 5'10" 240# and it fits. I am pretty sure I can get it over a coat for winter use if I decided to wear it that way.  Excellent deal for a PC.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:02:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine will arrive on the 23. Plates will be the first thing I buy next. Then how to set it up I have read the whole plate carrier thread that was posted on page 4 and I still have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Well I tried to hold out, but I failed.

Ordered the Shellback plate carrier and CATI plates and a couple misc pouches.

Thanks Arfcom!!

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:08:43 AM EDT
[#16]
would this be ok for someone 6 foot 4 225lbs ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My PC shipped and should arrive by Chritmas Eve. Im considering the coated CATI plates set front and sides, tell me about the 'trauma pad inserts' im a body armor newb? What additional protection do these provide and how are they necessary? CATI ebay advertisement claims superior manufacturing as compared to others, specfically how they are 'die curved'. With the coupon code the price seems right. That is to my door $187.

Thanks
Bishop3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Bishop3

I'm a newb too, and I'd call them optional rather than necessary. Especially for guys with enough up top to make cleavage or anyone that's going to wear it only on top of thick clothing. The protection is against blunt force trauma. If/When a bullet hits the plate, its energy has to go somewhere, so bullet to plate to carrier to chest (and technically finally back to the earth through your feet). A trauma pad (usually a poly and foam layering) inserts behind the plate to compress taking up a portion of the energy then spreading it out over time and to spread the energy over a larger area of the torso lessening the probability of the plate breaking a bone (likely in the ribcage or spinal column).

Maybe one of the guys experienced with actual duty use of a carrier and plates will give an opinion on this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#18]
In for one.  I may swap out my duty issue carrier with this one if it is set up right.   Looks just like the ones the IPs used in Iraq...Hope it is better made...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes

Quoted:
would this be ok for someone 6 foot 4 225lbs ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#20]
any good deals on pouches and what kind of lightweight armor can you put in these ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#21]
i don't think ill ever need one or that matter i probably won't wear it much
but hell ill take one for $50
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Time to buy something to strap on this, thoughts on mag pouches and an IFAK?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe the Saudis didn't pay their bill.  Not unheard of from that part of the world.

+1

I wonder if these could be dyed a different color?  Black is fine but since I have two might as well use one as test bed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
158 in stock

lol... geez, they found more in the warehouse??

Contract over-run seems like a modest assessment...  I'd call it a gross misappropriation at this point!

Maybe the Saudis didn't pay their bill.  Not unheard of from that part of the world.

Quoted:
Did I hear group buy on plates?

+1

I wonder if these could be dyed a different color?  Black is fine but since I have two might as well use one as test bed.  

I don't think you can dye fabric to a color that is lighter than the color it started out as.  Might be able to bleach it first, but no idea if that would damage the fabric.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
my only complaint is a lack of a front pouch. need to find some sort of large admin or kangaroo type pouch for my mirror, light and a few other things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my only complaint is a lack of a front pouch. need to find some sort of large admin or kangaroo type pouch for my mirror, light and a few other things.

http://m.rei.com/zoom/rr/5feb538f-5cff-4227-a64c-38aec1ef4b93.jpg/650

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Time to buy something to strap on this, thoughts on mag pouches and an IFAK?
View Quote

There are 1-2 good IFAK threads in The Armory.

ETA:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/437210_Lower_back_IFAK.html

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://m.rei.com/zoom/rr/5feb538f-5cff-4227-a64c-38aec1ef4b93.jpg/650

Nutnfancy approved.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice!
When mine arrive I am going to ugly one up with some spray paint to quasi match the rest of my gear. The other will stay black.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Guys!  I want to jump in on this great deal but I can't explain to myself why I "need" a plate carrier.  Help a brother out.

ETA:  Currently 103 in stock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Guys!  I want to jump in on this great deal but I can't explain to myself why I "need" a plate carrier.  Help a brother out.

View Quote

can't be tier 0 without a carrier brah. been hundreds of research studies on this. check on pubmed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Read this story

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1695961_.html&page=1&anc=50878106#i50878106
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Ordered a couple late last week, and got a delivery notification for tomorrow. Went to their website, looks like they're somewhere in the 317 A/C so they're somewhat close.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ordered a couple late last week, and got a delivery notification for tomorrow. Went to their website, looks like they're somewhere in the 317 A/C so they're somewhat close.
View Quote

Indianapolis according to a UPS tracking listing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nice!

When mine arrive I am going to ugly one up with some spray paint to quasi match the rest of my gear. The other will stay black.
View Quote

What is your expectation with using spray paint? Have you done this before?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#39]
That's it... I'm foing on this deal...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a foliage green PC that I picked up, but fuck it I got 2 of these.  The green one is a miss matched piece of pride an joy.  All the pooches for it came from clearance bins at surplus stores....Plates are next....

I had them hold at location, so wife doesn't find out

Those CATI plates are level III,  would one be better off with levelIV?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

I've used spray paint on a Condor chest rig, and quite a few different pouches and bags. It works pretty good, although I haven't tried it with black fabric before.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Hate the color, but $60 shipped? FO.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

My expectation is to change the color. I have done it before.
3-5 mistings to lighten it up then I'll cover it with my multicam pouches.

It will make the carrier stiffer. It will rub off with training.
I'll be happy to throw some pics up eventually.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I noticed that while dialing in the fitting on mine, that the black dye appeared to be rubbing off on the shoulders of my shirt.  No big deal, but just a heads up to anyone else that may be fitting theirs -- don't do it with a nice(r) shirt on.

Also, does The Target Man ever run coupon codes or deals other than Black Friday?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Mine came, and I am impressed with the quality of the build.  At 6'0" and 195, it fits perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm big and fat will this PC fit my body frame no seriously. 5' 9" 255 mostly dense muscle mass .
In 90-91 all I wore was a frag jacket 'vest' (who knows what level) that would allow for in and out of a hatch.
My first body armor, I'm excited and will keep it ready for HD and or active shooter kit.

Plate recommendations, plate group buy? I'm considering the CATI lvl3 set 15% off.
What other plates?
Come on, I need these for patroling the front and back yards.

Bishop3
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone fit any plates into their carrier yet?   Pics would be great!

Mine should be here today.  Don't have any plates on hand but I have a full set of the CATI plates on order.  Lead time on plates looks like 7-10 days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have a foliage green PC that I picked up, but fuck it I got 2 of these.  The green one is a miss matched piece of pride an joy.  All the pooches for it came from clearance bins at surplus stores....Plates are next....

I had them hold at location, so wife doesn't find out

Those CATI plates are level III,  would one be better off with levelIV?
View Quote

Generally speaking Lvl IV does offers a higher degree of protection than Lvl III.  

Lvl III will stop 7.62mm. Lvl IV will stop .3006 AP rounds.  Click here for more info.

The "better off" part is complicated.  If you are shipping off to Afghanistan, yes you'd probably be better off with AP protection.  But those plates will cost more and very likely weigh more.  Do you need that level of protection here?  Does your job require Lvl IV plates?  Is the peace of mind worth it to you?  Totally your call.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top