BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are 100% correct.  I have had a wonderful life, got married in 1979 to my wife and we are still going strong after all these years.  My son was born a year later.  I guess the military was just not meant to be for me but I still think of it often.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You had a successful career and raised a great family, that's better then a large portion of society that let their spawn run wild and mooched off society their entire life. What's wrong with that?

You are 100% correct.  I have had a wonderful life, got married in 1979 to my wife and we are still going strong after all these years.  My son was born a year later.  I guess the military was just not meant to be for me but I still think of it often.

Exactly.  God had a different plan for you.  You and others in your same situation still rate my deepest respect, because you tried and your heart was and is in the right place.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The fucking irony...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guy wouldn't have made it anyway. And, if he did he would probably pull a Berghdal. Or, found curled up in a ball when the first round was fired.  Probably the guy that beats his dog when he gets home everyday.

The fucking irony...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Tank?

Sarcasm?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was going to join...but they said I was too tall.

It's ok though...I would have definitely punched a drill sergeant in the face for yelling at me.

You can't just "Control" me like that.

Tank?

Sarcasm?

Yes
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You joined recently, at 30? I think I can speak for other drill instructors that other DIs (95%) have gotten soft. Some of it is because of PC bullshit but the big reason is just weak DIs. Boot camp isn't what it was 10 years ago. Consider yourself lucky that you even graduated boot camp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ok though...I would have definitely punched a drill sergeant in the face for yelling at me.

...can't tell if you're serious...

If so, you most likely wouldn't. Trust me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm a drill instructor and I wouldn't mess with crabs.

Seems like you lack the mentality to be a soldier. Things like respect and honor are probably very strange concepts for you.
Guy wouldn't have made it anyway. And, if he did he would probably pull a Berghdal. Or, found curled up in a ball when the first round was fired.  Probably the guy that beats his dog when he gets home everyday.

You joined recently, at 30? I think I can speak for other drill instructors that other DIs (95%) have gotten soft. Some of it is because of PC bullshit but the big reason is just weak DIs. Boot camp isn't what it was 10 years ago. Consider yourself lucky that you even graduated boot camp.

Lol at the idea anyone thinks basic/boot is difficult. Here's a clue for you, it's called BASIC for a reason. As long as you don't have THS, you'll graduate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Could be worse....you could "serve" and not serve.

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't otherwise fill). But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army years after I did and went to Iraq......

I'll never shake the feeling I didn't do my part. Shit keeps me up at night.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a very serious knee injury playing high school football (1977) and had to have reconstructive surgery on my right knee.  Besides the pain in my knee it would and still does swell with exercise if I do not wear my brace.  Since then I have had several procedures on the same knee.

I talked to the Army recruiter in 1978 and he told me it was a waste of time to take my physical because I would be denied.  Decided to go see the Air Force recruiter thinking the requirements might not be as tough and was told the same exact thing.

Wanted to be an Army Ranger all of my life.  I am now 55 years old and it is the biggest regret of my life that I did not have a chance to pursue my dream and serve my country.  I have a successful career and great family but after all these years it still bothers me.  Does anybody else regret not serving or being able to serve?  For those that did serve, would you do it again?

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't otherwise fill). But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army years after I did and went to Iraq......

I have similar thoughts, even though I deployed.

I was infantry in the 82nd.  First battalion I was in was taken out of the deployment rotation because it was set to be deactivated.  After I had been in 3 years, I was in a battalion that was deploying.  Finally, I thought.

We deploy.  But while in Kuwait, my company had to give up an NCO to babysit battalion commo.  I was just promoted a couple weeks before, so I was by far the least experienced NCO in the company.. to battalion commo I go.  Spent my deployment sitting around the TOC doing pretty much nothing.  I can't even say I supported anything.. as all I did was delegate tasks out to the commo guys.

Now I'm full of regret since I didn't try to do more while I was in.  Watching documentaries like Restrepo and The Hornets Nest make me feel like absolute shit because those guys ended up in a shitstorm while I just sat on my ass with the same MOS as them.

While I was in school I wanted to go back in.  But as a prior service 11B, only 18X was available to me and I wasn't able to make the age requirement for it anymore.  Such is life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Wish I had gone to jump school when I had the chance/youth.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly.  God had a different plan for you.  You and others in your same situation still rate my deepest respect, because you tried and your heart was and is in the right place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You had a successful career and raised a great family, that's better then a large portion of society that let their spawn run wild and mooched off society their entire life. What's wrong with that?

Thank you!  The only person I have ever told about this is my wife.  I have kept this to myself all these years while trying to do everything I can to honor and show respect for those that have served.  I know this is GD and I expected a couple negative responses but it is reaffirming to know that others feel the same way.  We have all moved on with our lives but there is a space reserved for something we were not able to do.

By helping veterans in need, whether it is support, giving them a job or monetary it makes me feel like I have contributed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I went down a different path as musician, toured for 10yrs, saw some pretty cool things, & had some good success for a solid portion of those yrs. Still bothers me that I didn't choose to enlist after school. Anyway, the music career has started to come to an end, after next year it will be a indefinite hiatus for the group. I'm 32 yrs old now, so there's still a little time for me peruse my other dream of serving my country.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I always regretted going army instead of airforce. Later in life I joined the af reserves and proved myself right. Had I joined the af in the beginning I would have made a career of it and been retired by now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You really should regret throwing away your health and life goals playing children's games.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I was fascinated with the military and wanted to serve from a young age. I know I'm going to always look back and wish I was able to. History of asthma, back surgery in the 5th grade, and my right knee. Too many things wrong with me. Tried for the Air Force Academy and everything looked good until my medical record came up. I was hoping I could be the 3rd generation in the family to keep it going. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'm still fairly young, and if I ever think I can get in with a waiver I'll probably try again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I was fascinated with the military and wanted to serve from a young age. I know I'm going to always look back and wish I was able to. History of asthma, back surgery in the 5th grade, and my right knee. Too many things wrong with me. Tried for the Air Force Academy and everything looked good until my medical record came up. I was hoping I could be the 3rd generation in the family to keep it going. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'm still fairly young, and if I ever think I can get in with a waiver I'll probably try again.
View Quote
Won't know unless you try.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I spent years listening to my father's military stories.. about the friends he made, about jump school and ranger school, about the cool places he had seen.

I wanted to join more than anything... I went through the recruitment process and tried to hide everything (Rheumatoid Arthritis in left knee).. but it's pretty fucking clear when one runs a mile or two and ends up on the ground screaming in pain that there is a problem.  

I do regret it, but I quit dwelling on it years ago, because what's the point?  I could undergo surgery, but there is no guarantee that would get me in, and it has a good chance of making my problems worse.

I'm just a supporter on the sidelines now, but I'll stomp the fuck out of anyone who talks shit about our military.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a very serious knee injury playing high school football (1977) and had to have reconstructive surgery on my right knee.  Besides the pain in my knee it would and still does swell with exercise if I do not wear my brace.  Since then I have had several procedures on the same knee.

I talked to the Army recruiter in 1978 and he told me it was a waste of time to take my physical because I would be denied.  Decided to go see the Air Force recruiter thinking the requirements might not be as tough and was told the same exact thing.

Wanted to be an Army Ranger all of my life.  I am now 55 years old and it is the biggest regret of my life that I did not have a chance to pursue my dream and serve my country.  I have a successful career and great family but after all these years it still bothers me.  Does anybody else regret not serving or being able to serve?  For those that did serve, would you do it again?

Everyone has a part to play, and not everyone can be on the front lines.  There are many people who made it home due to people working in the the rear.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#15]

I wanted to re-enlist to be the high speed low drag door gunner on the space shuttle but I think I was to tall for the mos. I am 70" tall so if someone could confirm I would appreciate it.

I do regret getting busted up on Normandy drop zone! fucking air farce reserve pilots!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I entered college knowing I was going to enroll in the Army ROTC program....things went well the first year and then they decided to cancel the program at the college I was enrolled in and moved the ROTC program to another college in a larger city....pretty much killed my Army career at that point....we were given the option to move and I decided not to.  

But given my poor eye sight and migraines I would have been a desk jockey and mired in all the political shit so I think it worked out for the best....

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I spent years listening to my father's military stories.. about the friends he made, about jump school and ranger school, about the cool places he had seen.

I wanted to join more than anything... I went through the recruitment process and tried to hide everything (Rheumatoid Arthritis in left knee).. but it's pretty fucking clear when one runs a mile or two and ends up on the ground screaming in pain that there is a problem.  

I do regret it, but I quit dwelling on it years ago, because what's the point?  I could undergo surgery, but there is no guarantee that would get me in, and it has a good chance of making my problems worse.

I'm just a supporter on the sidelines now, but I'll stomp the fuck out of anyone who talks shit about our military.  
View Quote

When did they make people run for MEPS?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

safer not to try.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Not a day goes by that I don't miss my first career.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#20]

I enlisted in Army back in 2004 at age 24.  Did 4 years active duty, and Im now serving in the guard.  The only regret I have was going to college after high school and not enlisting right of way.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Derp

ETA Accidents happen playing sports, it's not like he set out to get injured

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really should regret throwing away your health and life goals playing children's games.

Derp

What exactly is so crazy about my statement?
Was he not playing children's games?
Did said game not cause permanent damage?
Isn't the real source of his regret being hurt, playing?
I never said no one should play these games, but if they screw up your life, you might regret it later.
It's true , I never played sports, yet I have no regrets about getting to serve or working with my hands for a living.
I don't crawl out of bed in agony every morning due to some 250 pound linebacker trying to make me 2 dimensional.

Anyone who goes to play football and thinks he will make it thru without permanent damage is a damn fool.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I never said no one should play these games, but if they screw up your life, you might regret it later.
It's true , I never played sports, yet I have no regrets about getting to serve or working with my hands for a living.
I don't crawl out of bed in agony every morning due to some 250 pound linebacker trying to make me 2 dimensional.

Anyone who goes to play football and thinks he will make it thru without permanent damage is a damn fool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp

Anybody who goes through life and thinks they will make it thru without permanent damage is a damn fool.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Anybody who goes through life and thinks they will make it thru without permanent damage is a damn fool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp

To quote the drunk at the bar, "Don't take life too seriously, you ain't making it out alive."

And for the epic level troll I present to you

and an additional

I think everybody that has served has heard those lines.  It was fucking beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Career wise I wish I had followed through and become an officer.  As was, I gave 100% as a junior enlisted and even more when I became a NCO.  Real regrets later became the things that keep me up at night.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've never done this process, so I don't totally know.... But if someone were to have a bad surgery or reconstructive surgery, but they could still meet all of the physical requirements and perform their duties, I would imagine trying to get waivers, surgeon referrals, and even harassing their governor into getting the go ahead. Just as long as they don't sign up as combat arms or anything.

Usually if you brush shoulders with the right people, miracles tend to happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Totally shattered my ankle when I was 12.  Needed two surgeries, but was close to needing 4 because of the growth plate.  Only thing holding my foot to my leg was tissue, ankle was all powder and shards.  Hardware was removed after healing, and I was walking normal the following year.

One MEPS referral to their own Ortho for approval, and I was in like Flynn without any waivers.
I've never done this process, so I don't totally know.... But if someone were to have a bad surgery or reconstructive surgery, but they could still meet all of the physical requirements and perform their duties, I would imagine trying to get waivers, surgeon referrals, and even harassing their governor into getting the go ahead. Just as long as they don't sign up as combat arms or anything.

I had reconstructive surgery on my ankle when I was a kid, I got the waivers and joined up as a 13B.  It's not that hard, but, I also joined right towards the end of "the surge," where they were taking any-and-everybody, so that may have played a factor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Every bit and even more proud accomplishment than military service
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Lmao
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Because you're the toughest SOB that would have ever enlisted?

I've torn up plenty of giant guys. If they'd thought about touching me they'd be lost at sea never to be found again. The military has been pounding the shit out of boys who think they're tough for a few hundred years ... they've gotten pretty good at it. Occasionally someone is dumb enough try the system and after a few years in the brig they're discharged with a felony conviction. A military brig is not somewhere you're going to want to be for a few years.

"Petty Officer, request to use the head."

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to wipe"

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to flush"

"Do it, do it now!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because you're the toughest SOB that would have ever enlisted?

I've torn up plenty of giant guys. If they'd thought about touching me they'd be lost at sea never to be found again. The military has been pounding the shit out of boys who think they're tough for a few hundred years ... they've gotten pretty good at it. Occasionally someone is dumb enough try the system and after a few years in the brig they're discharged with a felony conviction. A military brig is not somewhere you're going to want to be for a few years.

"Petty Officer, request to use the head."

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to wipe"

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to flush"

"Do it, do it now!"

Your sarcasm meter must be broke
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Its not for everyone OP. I thought about joining the navy but didnt. I dont regret it and I am thankful for those that did decide to serve.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I think military or certain civil service jobs should be a requirement for citizenship.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think military or certain civil service jobs should be a requirement for citizenship.
View Quote

The Mobile Infantry made me the man I am today!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I regret joining. The Army was the single biggest mistake of my life. I wish I could get my 4 years back
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I am currently a Cardiac/Transplant ICU nurse in a top 10 hospital in the nation. God wiling, I will be a critical care nurse in the army by summer. I have always wanted to serve and I plan on doing so.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Move on, live in the now. You don't see me moping around because I never told {name redacted cuz Google} how I felt about her. Ship sailed.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a successful career and great family but after all these years it still bothers me.  Does anybody else regret not serving or being able to serve?  For those that did serve, would you do it again?
View Quote

Very much the same.

I wanted to fly jets out of high school. Now, I wish I had served some infantry role.

I am/was ineligible due to medical issues and I recognize the reality, but that doesn't make me think about it almost daily.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't regret the things you had no control over.

Only regret when you chose poorly, if you are going to regret at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ya right...some Drill sergeant isn't going to intimidate me....I straight knock them out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya right...some Drill sergeant isn't going to intimidate me....I straight knock them out.

says the guy with the tank
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Grass is always greener my friend.

Military service is an honorable thing, but not everyone in society appreciates it and does more than play lip service to it as you might think.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#39]
only child here. wasn't gonna happen.  Not sure if I wanted to serve my country or just kill a bunch of terrorists but I wish I could've done something
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's awesome dude. I don't know if you were just really lucky and the stars aligned for you that day, or if everyone else that was denied for a medical reason didn't try hard enough lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally shattered my ankle when I was 12.  Needed two surgeries, but was close to needing 4 because of the growth plate.  Only thing holding my foot to my leg was tissue, ankle was all powder and shards.  Hardware was removed after healing, and I was walking normal the following year.
One MEPS referral to their own Ortho for approval, and I was in like Flynn without any waivers.

It was very casual and easy.  I was fully open about it, and they sent me over to a private Ortho they referred to in the area.  He took some images and checked my stability and movement.  Said I was 100% and gave the green light.  Didn't even need to go back to MEPS a second time to 'finish' anything.  Went through the normal route on MEPS trip #1, went to the Ortho later, came back the night before leaving for Basic for MEPS trip #2.  I did actually go back to MEPS one other time in between, but it was totally unrelated.
That's awesome dude. I don't know if you were just really lucky and the stars aligned for you that day, or if everyone else that was denied for a medical reason didn't try hard enough lol

I had to wait about a month and a half to get a waiver for LASIK surgery I had in March 2006 prior to enlisting in  April 2007.  

I don't regret doing it at all. In fact, my regret is NOT enlisting sooner and picking a different job.  I definitely learned a lot about life and myself.  All or none, it was the best and worst of it all...

ETA: sturmjr surprised they did not have you go back to MEPS. I went three times, did the initial and took ASVAB, second time talked with job counselor, third shipped out.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that a man who has NO regrets whatsoever in life, is probably a pretty insufferable and arrogant fellow - so that can probably cut both ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The man who wastes his time regretting is a sad one - and really not a man at all

I'm guessing that a man who has NO regrets whatsoever in life, is probably a pretty insufferable and arrogant fellow - so that can probably cut both ways.

I have no regrets, and I'm a pretty normal guy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I regret not skipping out during training in the field in the 08 election.
My vote probably wouldn't have made any effort to keep Obama out, but I can tell you that when he became president, our ROEs changed a lot to where we were afraid to shoot out weapons in fear of getting in trouble. So many ristrictions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#43]
At least you didn't get a tattoo that only shows in a PT uniform. I can understand not wanting hand, neck or face tattoos, but I don't get the issue with one that will literally only be seen when I'm in PT gear.

Fuck I'm STILL trying to figure out what I'm going to do:

A) Get it removed, hope it doesn't scar, be on my marry way into the Corps or Army a few thousand dollars and a year or two later

B) Wait it out until the country goes to war and has a draw up. At 22, this is still very much feasible but there's always going to be the chance it doesn't happen until AFTER I hit the upper age limit.

C) Hope to God that Commandant Dunford or the SMA Chandler change the tattoo regs to not worry about calf tattoos.

D) Go Navy or Air Force, which is definitely an option, but I very badly want to be combat arms.

Time'll tell.

OP, it sound's like you've done well with your life thus far, but I'm sure I'd feel the same way in your shoes so I can't blame you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I had reconstructive surgery on my ankle when I was a kid, I got the waivers and joined up as a 13B.  It's not that hard, but, I also joined right towards the end of "the surge," where they were taking any-and-everybody, so that may have played a factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what Im talking about...where there is a will....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, I be afraid of nuffin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol at the idea anyone thinks basic/boot is difficult. Here's a clue for you, it's called BASIC for a reason. As long as you don't have THS, you'll graduate.
View Quote

You must be army. And you must have recently enlisted. Try Marine Corps BOOT CAMP 10+ years ago. If I was your DI I'd have you wishing you never left mommy's basement.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You must be army. And you must have recently enlisted. Try Marine Corps BOOT CAMP 10+ years ago. If I was your DI I'd have you wishing you never left mommy's basement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was your DI, you wouldn't be able to walk normal or make an audible fart noise.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10years ago..pfft;...cherry...
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top