Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think about it at all and don't know why someone who didn't/couldn't join the military would be thinking about it often 36 years after the fact.

I worked with someone who joined the Navy in around 1979.  He had a knee injury from football while he was in high school but somehow managed to get into the Navy.  After 1 1/2 years he managed to get a discharge and Disabled Veteran's benefits of about $150.00 a month for life.

He was always touting his military service.  Always mentioning how he was a disabled veteran.  He milked the system to get out, raises hell every time they try to terminate his service related disability payments (from a high school football injury), tries to pad his military medals/ribbon count because someone still in the Reserve made him aware of a website that he could look up ribbons on that people on his ship were awarded as unit citations.

He finally let slip once that he demanded to be discharged because the Navy had taken him off his ship and sent him stateside for knee surgery.  He was required to go to physical therapy every day and they made him walk to his appointments, but he wanted a jeep and driver to take him to PT.  He was an E-2 or E-3 at the time.

Hardly anyone at my work ever knew I was a former Marine.  It finally came out after a couple young veteran Marines at my work were running their mouths about me never having served in the military.  Someone who knew me for over 20 years filled them in that I was serving while they were still crapping in their Pampers.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You must be army. And you must have recently enlisted. Try Marine Corps BOOT CAMP 10+ years ago. If I was your DI I'd have you wishing you never left mommy's basement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol at the idea anyone thinks basic/boot is difficult. Here's a clue for you, it's called BASIC for a reason. As long as you don't have THS, you'll graduate.

You must be army. And you must have recently enlisted. Try Marine Corps BOOT CAMP 10+ years ago. If I was your DI I'd have you wishing you never left mommy's basement.

10 year ago?  OK.  Try 37 years ago.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

When did they make people run for MEPS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent years listening to my father's military stories.. about the friends he made, about jump school and ranger school, about the cool places he had seen.

I wanted to join more than anything... I went through the recruitment process and tried to hide everything (Rheumatoid Arthritis in left knee).. but it's pretty fucking clear when one runs a mile or two and ends up on the ground screaming in pain that there is a problem.  

I do regret it, but I quit dwelling on it years ago, because what's the point?  I could undergo surgery, but there is no guarantee that would get me in, and it has a good chance of making my problems worse.

I'm just a supporter on the sidelines now, but I'll stomp the fuck out of anyone who talks shit about our military.  

When did they make people run for MEPS?

You have to do a pre-ship pt test.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol at the idea anyone thinks basic/boot is difficult. Here's a clue for you, it's called BASIC for a reason. As long as you don't have THS, you'll graduate.

Yup, I'm army. BOOT=Basic. Stop trying to act like recruit training is surviving a Spartan agoge.What would you do, smoke me? Yawn. Been there, done that. I've made it rain inside and I've sopped up wet fields. I've been black and blue from corrective training and still survived. I've run Agony, Misery, and Heartache in full battle rattle. I pushed on hot asphalt and stood guard in a snow storm. Like I said before, as long as you don't suffer from Tiny Heart Syndrome, you'll graduate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't regret it anymore. I did when I was younger, but I accepted that they wouldn't have been able to take me anyway. Now, I feed every kid in town who enlists a steak dinner when they come home after basic.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I regret not walking into that recruiting office the day I turned 17. Right now I'm waiting for some waivers to get back so we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a very serious knee injury playing high school football (1977) and had to have reconstructive surgery on my right knee.  Besides the pain in my knee it would and still does swell with exercise if I do not wear my brace.  Since then I have had several procedures on the same knee.

I talked to the Army recruiter in 1978 and he told me it was a waste of time to take my physical because I would be denied.  Decided to go see the Air Force recruiter thinking the requirements might not be as tough and was told the same exact thing.

Wanted to be an Army Ranger all of my life.  I am now 55 years old and it is the biggest regret of my life that I did not have a chance to pursue my dream and serve my country.  I have a successful career and great family but after all these years it still bothers me.  Does anybody else regret not serving or being able to serve?  For those that did serve, would you do it again?
View Quote

I served for 21 years and it broke me mentally. Have some Arfcom brothers helping me. Maybe a good thing you did not serve. I am not ashamed of my service but now I am paying a hurtful price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

every marine a rifleman right?

HEY KOOL-AID!!!

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Everyone has a different path in life.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/MakarovshooterinAZ/media/Plt2058_zps965f03fb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/MakarovshooterinAZ/Plt2058_zps965f03fb.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/MakarovshooterinAZ/media/Plt2058_zps965f03fb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/MakarovshooterinAZ/Plt2058_zps965f03fb.jpg</a>

I fucking lol'ed at the "10 years ago."

"It was always hard for me, and became soft the week after I graduated."
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 For those that did serve, would you do it again?
View Quote

Absolutely
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:09:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I often wish I had gone to OCS for the Marine Corps like I was supposed to. My family has fought in every war/conflict since the Revolutionary War. I mean, I've got a picture on my desk of my Grandfather shaking hands with Chesty Puller while receiving a boxing trophy when he was in the Marine Corps, so I had some pretty big shoes that I desperately wanted to fill. I had a flight contract but then my vision took a dump. I had to switch to air-ground on my contract and I'm pretty sure I would've hated that. Whenever it was around the time to submit my contract to the board to attend OCS, I couldn't keep my nose clean, my grades were shitty at the moment, or I was overweight. For one reason or another it just never worked out. I have no one to blame but myself. Now that I've graduated, not in legal trouble, and would make weight, I'm a year too old and old sports injuries are haunting me. I'm also married with a child and I can't imagine leaving her and having something bad happen. OP, I believe things happen for a reason and that everyone is right where they're supposed to be for one reason or another. I went to VMI so I got a taste of the training and lifestyle. I wore the uniform, stood in rediculously long formations, went on 20+ mile forced marches in full battle rattle, went through weapons training, bivvy'd in the worst weather, endured my life being scheduled for me, etc. I hold those lessons and experiences near to my heart and though I often regret not joining, maybe someone was looking out for me. I've lost several brother rats and other fellow Keydets, including my battalion GySgt who was our honorary brother rat, in Iraq and Afghanistan. My wife has lost fellow cadets from her college as well. You never know and will never know what might have been. Having said that, I'd like to thank all of the former and current armed forces members here for your sacrifice and dedication to the preservation and defense of our country and her interests.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Could be worse....you could "serve" and not serve.

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't otherwise fill). But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army years after I did and went to Iraq......

I'll never shake the feeling I didn't do my part. Shit keeps me up at night.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a very serious knee injury playing high school football (1977) and had to have reconstructive surgery on my right knee.  Besides the pain in my knee it would and still does swell with exercise if I do not wear my brace.  Since then I have had several procedures on the same knee.

I talked to the Army recruiter in 1978 and he told me it was a waste of time to take my physical because I would be denied.  Decided to go see the Air Force recruiter thinking the requirements might not be as tough and was told the same exact thing.

Wanted to be an Army Ranger all of my life.  I am now 55 years old and it is the biggest regret of my life that I did not have a chance to pursue my dream and serve my country.  I have a successful career and great family but after all these years it still bothers me.  Does anybody else regret not serving or being able to serve?  For those that did serve, would you do it again?

Could be worse....you could "serve" and not serve.

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't otherwise fill). But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army years after I did and went to Iraq......

I'll never shake the feeling I didn't do my part. Shit keeps me up at night.  

Welcome to the club. I was in the Navy for 8.   Ended up at two 3-star level commands,  and punched out because I hated the politics.   Regretted never getting to go over since tons of family and friends have put in multiple deployments.

Two of my former coworkers from my first duty station put on chief a month or two ago.   Not sure how I feel about that.  One of them, I had little respect for his skills, the other was alright.   I look at the uniforms hanging in my closet and wonder.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the "in the old corps" speeches.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd do it again. I'd go 11b enlisted again too. Only thing I would change having the knowledge I do now. At 30th ag in processing I would not buy the Old Guard recruiters bs. Laying men to rest was an honor, everything else there was horse shit. Add to that the fact that dam near everyone at regimental / battalion level where the biggest lying pieces of dogshit I've ever seen and it soured me on the army so much it was inconceivable to reup. Wish I had gotten a deployment in too as that's the whole reason I joined let alone went enlisted as a 11b with a bachelors at 22 years old.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

I had an ACL reconstruction done in 99 (I was 17), and then a scope done in 2000.  I was DQ'd for enlistment right after high school because of it.  I had another issue in 2002, and went under the knife again.

In 2006 I found out that I could probably get a waiver, and shipped off to MCRD three months later.

The PLT shitbag was being a shitbag, and got body checked by a DI... and managed to fall on me at exactly the wrong time.  Ended up with a bad sprain on the same knee, and was dropped to MRP2.  Due to the waiver on the same knee, someone decided to ELS me despite my protests.

I'm still pissy about it, and would go back immediately and finish basic if given the chance.  If it was possible, I would have been back as soon as I was able.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I have two regrets:

1) I turned down an appointment to West Point from MG Joulwan while I was on active duty, and

2) Eating that dehydrated pork patty from a 1st gen MRE. Fucking nasty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  I went through Boot in 1984.  It wasn't that hard if you were focused on graduating and wanted to be there.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember a joke SgtMaj Kent use to tell us Lts when he was our BN SgtMaj

"when the Marines started recruiting at Tun Tavern they started out in the morning giving each recruit two blankets, but ran short by 1000 and only gave each recruit one blanket. At evening chow that day one of the recruits was complaining to another recruit of about only get one blanket, the other recruit said, yep back when I joined in the old corps we got two blankets.'
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I remember a joke SgtMaj Kent use to tell us Lts when he was our BN SgtMaj

"when the Marines started recruiting at Tun Tavern they started out in the morning giving each recruit two blankets, but ran short by 1000 and only gave each recruit one blanket. At evening chow that day one of the recruits was complaining to another recruit of about only get one blanket, the other recruit said, yep back when I joined in the old corps we got two blankets.'

View Quote
thread/

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not for everyone. There is no requirement for service, so most will not do so.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You and me are in the same boat.

My ears were fucked as a kid, tubes, multiple times

Killed my dreams of being a Marine, at age 39, killed my driving career of 21 years.

I am 45, in better shape then most 18 yr olds( not hard to do, I know), I would still be in or on the verge of getting kicked out

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because you're the toughest SOB that would have ever enlisted?

I've torn up plenty of giant guys. If they'd thought about touching me they'd be lost at sea never to be found again. The military has been pounding the shit out of boys who think they're tough for a few hundred years ... they've gotten pretty good at it. Occasionally someone is dumb enough try the system and after a few years in the brig they're discharged with a felony conviction. A military brig is not somewhere you're going to want to be for a few years.

"Petty Officer, request to use the head."

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to wipe"

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to flush"

"Do it, do it now!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was going to join...but they said I was too tall.

It's ok though...I would have definitely punched a drill sergeant in the face for yelling at me.

You can't just "Control" me like that.

Because you're the toughest SOB that would have ever enlisted?

I've torn up plenty of giant guys. If they'd thought about touching me they'd be lost at sea never to be found again. The military has been pounding the shit out of boys who think they're tough for a few hundred years ... they've gotten pretty good at it. Occasionally someone is dumb enough try the system and after a few years in the brig they're discharged with a felony conviction. A military brig is not somewhere you're going to want to be for a few years.

"Petty Officer, request to use the head."

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to wipe"

"Do it, do it now"

"Petty Officer, request to flush"

"Do it, do it now!"

You suck at deciphering sarcasm. Especially when he has a tank under his username
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I had always planned to join after college and I did.

But only after my masters was done and my doctorate almost done
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 OP.

Tried my enlist my senior year of HS when they told me the asthma I had 5 years prior was an automatic DQ. I wrote my Senators and Congressman, oddly they weren't able to assist me, busy "fixing" the Nation and all.

Then after 9/11 I tried again. Asthma restrictions had been relaxed, so I thought there was a good chance I could get in. Hypertension was the culprit the second time.

Many in my family served and it was always something I wanted to do. Reagan brainwashed me! When he took office I was 7. (My parents always made my brother and I watch the news, read the newspaper, etc.)  
I still remember his speeches about American Exceptionalism. It instilled a strong sense of Patriotism in me, which was a big part of wanting to serve.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is no shame in trying, and not being able to serve.  Take this from someone who has volunteered and served more than once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did it bother you more after 9/11?

Yes, very much so.  It made me feel like I did not do my part.

There is no shame in trying, and not being able to serve.  Take this from someone who has volunteered and served more than once.

BINGO.  And personally, I think being a good husband, father, and American is much more challenging than being a Ranger. And more rewarding too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My only true regret in life is going guard instead of active.
View Quote

Same here. I had to sign as soon as possible in my senior year. Join the reserves or guard and go to college they said, it'll be the best of bit worlds they said. if I would've waited a little longer, it would've been a much easier choice after Sept 11.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ETA: sturmjr surprised they did not have you go back to MEPS. I went three times, did the initial and took ASVAB, second time talked with job counselor, third shipped out.  
View Quote

I already had a guaranteed job.

But I was in DEP for 6.5 months waiting to leave for it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#29]
wish I could have served, but sever hearing loss prevented that..
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You really should regret throwing away your health and life goals playing children's games.
View Quote

Thats a stupid fucking thing to say.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really should regret throwing away your health and life goals playing children's games.

Maybe, but having fucked over my left knee playing HS football I can see the sense in the comment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have two regrets:

1) I turned down an appointment to West Point from MG Joulwan while I was on active duty, and

2) Eating that dehydrated pork patty from a 1st gen MRE. Fucking nasty.
View Quote

I did too (except to USAF Academy).  Still not sure how I feel about it, though.  STS Commander said he had a spot to give away and he wanted me to have it.  Gave me his and the SOG Command Chief's phone numbers to call when I made my decision.  

I had previously talked to 7 other Academy grads who were all flyers of some sort.  5 of the 7 said if they could do it all over again, they probably wouldn't (considering they didn't have any special rank over any other ROTC grad).  One was even prior enlisted.  Said his hardest part was getting bitched at by a bunch of people who hadn't even served before.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#33]
nvm
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:01:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Like most people that were in and got out before 20 years and retirement, I look back and wonder if I made the correct decision.

I am sure my life would be very different and I would be very different as a person.

I look at my Wife and Daughter and I am pretty sure I would not have them if I had stayed in.

I am very thankful for what I have and for the love that I receive from my family, I think I am very lucky!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I regret it constantly but I don't think it would change it.

I grew up studying military history and on 9/11 happened I was 17, it was my chance.  I was told by my doctor that I had no chance of passing the medical exam.  

My brother got in and I didn't, it drove me to tears.  My brother went, my cousins went, my friends went and I didnt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes, I wish I had served  but I got an all expenses paid scholarship to college and my dad said "take it"............I listened to my dad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#37]
served 12.5 years and abused the shit out of my body. I go to bed in pain most days and wake up stiff and sore... I'd do it again in a fucking heartbeat with no regrets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
In my family it was a requirement to join the military.  My sister and I were groomed from an early age.  I should have had tubes put in my ears to stop the ear infections I always had, but it would have disqualified me from military service.

Best job I ever had.

And I was a Tanker.  Sister was a mechanic.

My son, who was groomed from his early years, joined the Army.  One of my proudest days.  Then he came home 6 weeks later with an injury that ended his military dreams.  He will be the first male in my family since the Revolution to not serve.  It was very hard on me and his grandfather.  But I accept it for what it is and he know makes shit tons of money, has a great family and is still the person he was before he joined.

Not everyone can serve in the military, you did not choose to get hurt.  It's something you just have to accept.

O God, give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed,
The courage to change what can be changed,
and the wisdom to know the one from the other
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was a tanker from 84-87

Dumbest thing I ever did was get out.

I tried to sign back up in 90 pre desert storm but  I wasn't gonna be some schmuck remf , I told them send me back to a tank unit deploying and I would sign up.

They said no go on that, and like a dumbass I didn't reenlist. Should have done it anyway .

View Quote

I was a 19E from 86-88 then called up for Desert Storm.
Don't regret doing my time and don't regret getting out but sometimes wish I had selected an MOS that transferred better to the civilian world.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#40]
My biggest regret is not going to selection.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm retired.  The only thing I regret is not nailing more AF chicks when I was TDY at Lackland.  (Something about that army uniform)

Though sometimes I'd like to have my knees  and  parts of my left lung, hip and ribs back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
served 12.5 years and abused the shit out of my body. I go to bed in pain most days and wake up stiff and sore... I'd do it again in a fucking heartbeat with no regrets.
View Quote

That will come, anyway, if you just live long enough.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Military Regret?

Civilian here.  My only regret concerning the .mil is they made promises to this country's vets (VA healthcare) and do not seem to have properly lived up to the commitment.  I regret that this country has let our brave vets down in this area.

All my high school friends who came out of the military (Army infantry, Marine infantry and airborne) had wrecked knees, screwed up backs and other peacetime physical issues.  I guess I like having a functional body, and respect the sacrifices my friends made for all the rest of us.  Any sympathy or regrets I may have are not for myself, but for others.  Not pity, sympathy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was a tanker from 84-87

Dumbest thing I ever did was get out.

I tried to sign back up in 90 pre desert storm but  I wasn't gonna be some schmuck remf , I told them send me back to a tank unit deploying and I would sign up.

They said no go on that, and like a dumbass I didn't reenlist. Should have done it anyway .

View Quote

I was a comm tech 84-88.  Best thing I ever did was get out.  USMC gave me experience and discipline.  Getting out instantly gave me more money.  

I am sure others have the same dream where they wake up and think they re-enlisted for some stupid reason.  More of a nightmare.......with penis.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I enlisted into the USAF in '90 with a guaranteed job as an aircraft loadmaster.  I ended up having a seizure during PT on day 22 of basic, and another in the ambulance on the ride over to Wilford Hall.  After a lengthy medical review process they ended up cutting me loose; I was in for 2.5 months total.  I am not epileptic and had never had a seizure prior or since.

I think things have turned out ok for me since then.  I have a good job & career that I like and a wife & kids that I love.  I don't know how things might've turned out if I had not had those seizures but I do regret not being able to serve as planned.  I was really looking forward to being an aircrew member and serving like my dad and brothers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yup, I'm army. BOOT=Basic. Stop trying to act like recruit training is surviving a Spartan agoge.What would you do, smoke me? Yawn. Been there, done that. I've made it rain inside and I've sopped up wet fields. I've been black and blue from corrective training and still survived. I've run Agony, Misery, and Heartache in full battle rattle. I pushed on hot asphalt and stood guard in a snow storm. Like I said before, as long as you don't suffer from Tiny Heart Syndrome you'll graduate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I'm army. BOOT=Basic. Stop trying to act like recruit training is surviving a Spartan agoge.What would you do, smoke me? Yawn. Been there, done that. I've made it rain inside and I've sopped up wet fields. I've been black and blue from corrective training and still survived. I've run Agony, Misery, and Heartache in full battle rattle. I pushed on hot asphalt and stood guard in a snow storm. Like I said before, as long as you don't suffer from Tiny Heart Syndrome you'll graduate.

Sopping up wet fields in a snow storm, sounds like something out of a Sophie Wintner love novel. All that army POGUE training you've gone through doesn't hold a candle to Marine Corps Boot Camp 10+ years ago with me as your DI. I'd have you pulling your autographed Chelsea Manning rainbow colored stress card out your ass daily.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I didn't join and don't regret it. Wasn't for me. Sounds like you have had a good life. Take some time to be thankful for the things you have.

“All the time you spend tryin to get back what's been took from you there's more goin out the door. After a while you just try and get a tourniquet on it.”
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I  have major regrets for not staying in.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Should have, would have, could have. Right out of college joined an aerospace company doing engineering, which is fun but not considered serving.

Really should have got a gov job, benefits, retirement, never get laid off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.
Had a very different, very selfish mentality around high school graduation.
At 30, too old to go starting that sort of thing, especially knowing the strain it'd put on the family we've built.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top