User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Pics of single moms???

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't want kids of my own. I sure don't want someone elses.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]
At 24 you need mama drama like a
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up? I don't think I should, I am awesome.
View Quote

That was my first thought after reading the OP.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
No, I don't think you're selfish.  Btw, my wife doesn't think you're selfish either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.

Your date/relationship/marriage your rules.
View Quote

That's almost the same thing my wife said.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]

I remember a woman I run into at a party (I was 20) and we hit it off. She told me up front that she was divorced and had a kid (toddler) and that she just wanted me to know about it before we went any further. I simply told her I was not bothered about dealing with someone else's kid and that was it.

Looking back on it I may have fucked-up....She owns several jewelry stores now and her kid is the head Pharmacist at a medical center.  

LOL....Maybe I should have looked a bit past the Rent-A-Kid aspect.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, you're an ass.  Grow up.
View Quote

So grow up

Date these women

Be miserable for the rest of your life

Sounds legit

I think you're doing the right thing.  It doesn't seem selfish to me either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#9]
At 24, you do not "need" to date women with children.
If you were 35, and dating people your own age, it would be unrealistic not to expect people to have had relationships that may have produced children before you met.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
no you are just being honest about how you feel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It was always an automatic disqualifier for me.

Nothing says fail sauce like single motherhood.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#12]
date who you want.  they are manipulating you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Raise YOUR child--not someone else's, as you will always have to deal with the shithead who isn't raising his own crotchfruit.
View Quote

My step-dad married my mom when I was 4. He treated me just as he did my little brother, his own flesh & blood. He also in fact adopted me legally.

My bio dad was a good man who lived in another part of the state. He agreed to let me be adopted as my mom browbeat him into doing it as he was a low key kind of guy. I found all this out as I was older.

So to paint ALL dad's as "shitheads who aren't raising their own crotchfruit" with the same brush is worse than stupidly idiotic.

As both my bio & step dad were good men in their own right (both deceased now), allow me to say "go choke yourself". Site staff or not, you're WAY out of line...................    
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not in the wrong but it's going to bite you in ass eventually.I'm in my early 30's. You know how many women in my age range don't have kids? Not many.

View Quote

So just because you're in your 30s means you have to settle for a woman with kids? Fuck that. Unless you have a ton of baggage yourself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#15]
not selfish, honest.

is a woman a selfish asshole if she wont date a guy who lives in abox and has no job?  no, he just doesnt meet her qualifications.

I'm pretty tired of the people who think if you arent willing to date absolutely anyone you must be an asshole.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Recently I have encountered a couple of women who I had considered dating but I refused to do so because they had a child. I told them the reason for not wanting to date them was their kid and because of the kid we would have constant problems because she would never be able to put the same effort into our relationship. I as a 24 year old male do not want to deal with those problems or the task of raising a child that is not mine. Knowing how I felt I was not willing to even attempt a relationship because it would only end up hurting her and confusing the child. Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up? I don't think I should, I am awesome.
View Quote

I think you are being completely honest and have good sense.

No way in fuck would I raise some others guys kid UNLESS he had died.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up? I don't think I should, I am awesome.
View Quote

Disregarding the rest of your post and focusing on what I left in the quote.

'should I make an effort to grow up?'
Yeah, maybe you need to grow up a bit.

' I don't think '
Could be your problem.

' I am awesome.'
In your own mind perhaps, in the minds of those around you ... probably not.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#18]
If you just want to hit it and quit it, single moms are amazing in the sack. There is nothing off limits with them. They have to put out more with their baggage in order to keep you around. DO NOT stay in a relationship with them because it won't end well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#19]
At 24? No, you're perfectly sane for not wanting to date single mommies. Single mommies in your age range would likely be of the less responsible kind anyway. A little later in life, they may be more of the divorced kind instead of the "oops, I fucked an douchebag and got knocked up" type.

I'm 38 and would hesitate to date a single mom. I have no kids and don't really want to deal with that, and I would also worry about never being a priority or always being #2 to the woman.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#20]
At 24???

Ppffffftttt!!!!

There should still be plenty of eligible, child-less, "girls" your age.

The flipside to that coin is the ones who were smart enough to NOT get knocked up in their teens or early twenties were probably the same ones who were smart enough to put education and career first and will be going places (either with you or without you)...and if you manage to land one of those types, be glad in the knowledge that they are with you because they want you, not because they need you to be their meal ticket for the mom and her kid.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm 28. I won't even consider dating someone with kids. Fuck that whole mess.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Only betas date single moms
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes but, for different reasons than those cataloged in your post.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It was always an automatic disqualifier for me.

Nothing says fail sauce like single motherhood.

View Quote

Boom.

You're going to be alright, OP.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Recently I have encountered a couple of women who I had considered dating but I refused to do so because they had a child. I told them the reason for not wanting to date them was their kid and because of the kid we would have constant problems because she would never be able to put the same effort into our relationship. I as a 24 year old male do not want to deal with those problems or the task of raising a child that is not mine. Knowing how I felt I was not willing to even attempt a relationship because it would only end up hurting her and confusing the child. Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up? I don't think I should, I am awesome.

The other guy will, in all likelihood, at some point be sticking his nose into your business. Single moms bring a lot of baggage and unnecessary drama that one can do without ... especially a young man like yourself. Single moms are also dangerous for just booty calls ... they are looking for a man to latch onto to pay their bills.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps you are selfish in that regard.

But you are also being honest to both yourself and your potential girlfriends.    It's an issue that you don't want to deal with.  It's a dealbreaker for you, and you recognize that.  You aren't wasting their time, or your time, and you aren't leading anyone on with false promises.

It would be far more selfish to lead them into what they thought was a relationship, just to get some tail, and then eject because you didn't want to deal with a child.

If more people were honest and up front about both their expectations and their dealbreakers, there would be a lot more successfuly relationships out there.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not wanting to date a single mom is in no way a contraindication of immaturity. I would argue the opposite...he's showing the maturity to do what's best for himself while being honest in his dealings with others. There is no reason to attempt to shame him into persuing a course of action not in his best interest.' I don't think '

Could be your problem.

Wrong again. He's showing that he is thinking...and not with his dick.

' I am awesome.'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Am I a selfish asshole and should I make an effort to grow up? I don't think I should, I am awesome.

Not wanting to date a single mom is in no way a contraindication of immaturity. I would argue the opposite...he's showing the maturity to do what's best for himself while being honest in his dealings with others. There is no reason to attempt to shame him into persuing a course of action not in his best interest.' I don't think '

Could be your problem.

' I am awesome.'

I'm sure you are far more awesome than the OP.  Are you somehow trying to justify to yourself your actions in regards to involvement with a single mom?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know about the "awesome" part, but honesty is never a bad policy. In my 30's I dated women with children, and I had no problem with it at that point in my life. I probably wouldn't have at your age either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nope.  
View Quote

Not your thing its not your thing at least your honest.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#30]
People are liable to act irrationally when told that their allure cannot overcome their baggage.  It's a defense mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are not being selfish. Never get involved with a woman who has a child unless you are considering a stay for the long haul. Your feelings and the mom's feelings are secondary at best. The child is the primary focus in this type of relationship. The child's wellbeing is paramount. Personally, I know I could never be a step-father. I have 2 kids of my own that I love beyond imagination. I can't share that with someone else's child.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I think your missing out as kids are great but some people don't want to deal with kids. there is nothing wrong with it. Good for you for being honest.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#33]
At 24, there is no reason to date a woman with a kid, if you aren't interested.   If you are still single at 40, you might need to rethink your strategy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Nope OP you are in the right.

Regardless of how you told her.

You made it clear you are out to have some dating fun without the kid drama.

At 24 I wouldnt dare date a woman with a child period. Hell some of the women here in my city have kids that are 8 years old.

A single mother with a kid at that age proves her life choices are not well thought out.

Call me shelfish or whatever, my life, my rules. Finding a woman that fits in those rules is what I am looking for.

I am 27 married with an almost 2 year old. My wife and I were married for 2 years before having our first. We also have known each other for 15 years.

We have our stuff together and know what and where we are going.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm a female who won't seriously date men with kids.  I filter them out on online searches.
I'm also VERY aware that there are ex-wives out there who would use their ex-husband's for a meal ticket, and I don't want any part of that.

The one thing I've found time and again is that SOMETIMES, kids manipulate their parents when they see a relationship heating up.  They intentionally cause problems there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

I'm sure you are far more awesome than the OP.  Are you somehow trying to justify to yourself your actions in regards to involvement with a single mom?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Quoted:

Could be your problem.

' I am awesome.'

By all means let him be the manly white knight that he is and end up with the inevitable problems that dating them would bring on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I remember a woman I run into at a party (I was 20) and we hit it off. She told me up front that she was divorced and had a kid (toddler) and that she just wanted me to know about it before we went any further. I simply told her I was not bothered about dealing with someone else's kid and that was it.

Looking back on it I may have fucked-up....She owns several jewellery stores now and her kid is the head Pharmacist at a medical center.  

LOL....Maybe I should have looked a bit past the Rent-A-Kid aspect.
View Quote

Indeed, there are some exceptions out there like that jewellery store owner lady 1srelluc is talking about.  But those are RARE.

Part of the price of passing up single moms, but the odds favor at your age of 24 taking a walk.  Especially since you said that all they talked about were the POS baby daddy's who weren't helping out. GIANT clue what they wanted from you.  MONEY.

If you chose to be less honest to get laid with those single moms, you would be always having to worry because what if they tried to get knocked up by you so then you are completely hooked by them?  You would always have to be on guard, always have to make sure to never take even a sliver of a chance to get one of them pregnant.

Doesn't sound like the kind of fun dating a guy at 24 should be doing.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Selfish, absolutely. You'll have to look in a mirror to confirm the resemblance to your asshole.

My wife had a girl from her first marriage. Her real father was an asshole and wouldn't have anything to do with her because it interfered with his playboy life. I raised her as my own + 3 of our own. We never made a distinction between them and it made all the difference. An absolutely wonderful lady and we have a great relationship.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't know if you are a selfish asshole or not.

I just agree with you for avoiding single mothers.  I've tried it.  It doesn't work for me.  "Instant family, just add Formergrunt94"  is a no go.

I don't add to their baggage by using them, but dating is out of the question.  I might consider a widow, but in this day and age, a woman with a kid

is most likely NOT a widow.  There is a baby daddy somewhere.  Won't even consider dealing with that situation anymore.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Totally understand your position and not being selfish at all IMO.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#41]
You made the correct decision.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Not selfish. Smart. Let the hoards of thirsty betas marry the mommies (who wouldn't of given them the time of day when they were younger, hotter, and childless) and purpetuate the problem if they want. Get your own woman and make your own children.  "not my sperm, not my concern"
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's what I was saying, I could've lead them along and done them wrong but I told them how I felt. They didn't have to call me names
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Asshole" for being honest and up front about things?  Stringing them along to get in their pants and then ditching them--that would be the a-hole move.

That's what I was saying, I could've lead them along and done them wrong but I told them how I felt. They didn't have to call me names

Or..you could have just not gotten involved at all in the first place
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Being "selfish" when you're at the stage of CHOOSING someone to be in a relationship with is absolutely OK and exactly what you should be.  Don't engage in a relationship with someone you're sure you're not going to be compatible with.  That's not good for either of you.

It's being excessively selfish AFTER signing on for the cruise with someone that can be wrong and possibly make you an asshole (but definitely not always).
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Selfish, absolutely. You'll have to look in a mirror to confirm the resemblance to your asshole.

My wife had a girl from her first marriage. Her real father was an asshole and wouldn't have anything to do with her because it interfered with his playboy life. I raised her as my own + 3 of our own. We never made a distinction between them and it made all the difference. An absolutely wonderful lady and we have a great relationship.
View Quote

Instead of telling me your situation could you explain how what I did was selfish?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Really?

Unless they happen to be widows, they made decisions in their lives that created the shitty situation they're in.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a selfsih A O for not wanting to get involved with a situation that you do not want in on but perhaps
you are an AO for telling them the reason. Single Moms have it tough enough without you laying a trip on them.
Really?

Unless they happen to be widows, they made decisions in their lives that created the shitty situation they're in.    

I see someone has issues with women!
Some women think they are marrying decent guys but they turn out to be something other, like a wife beater, a cheater, a drunk, a deadbeat, but I guess
in your mind that is their fault for choosing poorly
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#47]
At 24, not only is it not selfish, but honestly you should be wary of a chick with a kid.  Girls who are educated, career oriented and responsible usually don't have kids till marriage.  24 is way to young to be married, knocked up and now divorced.  Now I'm sure some user on here will be like "I know a 24 year old who married her high school sweet heart, had a kid, but then her husband died in Iraq". To that I say that is an exception and would wager a 24 year old with a kid most likely got knocked up by her douchebag ex boyfriend pre gaming at a Ke$ha concert rather than by being in a healthy and committed relationship.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not selfish. Smart. Let the hoards of thirsty betas marry the mommies (who wouldn't of given them the time of day when they were younger, hotter, and childless) and purpetuate the problem if they want. Get your own woman and make your own children.  "not my sperm, not my concern"
View Quote

:tips fedora:
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#50]
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.”
? Oscar Wilde

If you aren't ready for kids or simply don't want kids that's your decision.

I've been down the single mom road. Twice. At your age don't fucking do it. That isn't a selfish decision.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top