BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How can a nine week old puppy be a service animal?
View Quote

Anxiety and PTSD.  There's nothing like a puppy to make you feel calm and happy.  They're like fuzzy Prozac.  

It also gives the patient a responsibility to care for someone else (the dog) and requires a routine (dog walking etc) which gets him out of the house and moving.  

To this layperson it seems like a valid non chemical treatment for the symptoms.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of apartment communities accept dogs, even if they are pseudo service animals.  He should probably rent from one of those.

I'd be more upset that someone held a gun to his head forcing him to sign a lease that didn't allow animals, knowing full well without said animal he may go nuts and take on a sheriff in a small community out west who draws first blood.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anxiety and PTSD.  There's nothing like a puppy to make you feel calm and happy.  They're like fuzzy Prozac.  

It also gives the patient a responsibility to care for someone else (the dog) and requires a routine (dog walking etc) which gets him out of the house and moving.  

To this layperson it seems like a valid non chemical treatment for the symptoms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I guess caring for his wife and family isn't going to cut it, better take on a dog as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"Service dog" gets my BS radar pinging. I haven't flown in years but adam carolla acts like planes are full of BS service dogs that are really pets.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
one of those cases of fake service dog credentials from a fake online website is my guess.
"Service dog" gets my BS radar pinging. I haven't flown in years but adam carolla acts like planes are full of BS service dogs that are really pets.  

I never saw them when I used to travel for business.  Then again, most people I'm aware of with the fake service dog thing going on don't have the money or need to fly.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For the most part, a dog trained for someone whom has PTSD can recognise onset of an attack and can intervene and bring the person back to reality that's is what separates them from emotional support animals.  On the surface they don't seem like what you would consider the same as a blind persons dog, but they do have a really good impact on people with PTSD.

ETA

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-dogs-can-help-veterans-overcome-ptsd-137582968/
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is a "psychiatric service dog?"  I was under the impression that service dogs were for blind people for help seeing or people with no arms or legs for help with grabbing stuff.  

Also, 9 weeks old is way too young to know if the dog will be any good at it.  Sounds like he just wants a puppy and may be using the service dog thing as a reason to not follow the rules.

For the most part, a dog trained for someone whom has PTSD can recognise onset of an attack and can intervene and bring the person back to reality that's is what separates them from emotional support animals.  On the surface they don't seem like what you would consider the same as a blind persons dog, but they do have a really good impact on people with PTSD.

ETA

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-dogs-can-help-veterans-overcome-ptsd-137582968/

this, buddy has a trained lab for this...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Nine week old "service" animal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Once again the line between "service" and "therapy" dog are blurred.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lots of apartment communities accept dogs, even if they are pseudo service animals.  He should probably rent from one of those.

I'd be more upset that someone held a gun to his head forcing him to sign a lease that didn't allow animals, knowing full well without said animal he may go nuts and take on a sheriff in a small community out west who draws first blood.
View Quote

He should have understood local ordinances regarding vagrants.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, does landlord have 'no pet' policy?  If so, Mr. Vet would seem to be violating it.  Should probably have found a place friendlier for pets or at least talked to the landlord first before going out and getting a dog.

And it's not a fucking service dog until it has had some kind of training and is quite a bit older than 9 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Clearly a number of you have never known a vet with severe PTSD that has actually been helped with a service dog.

I can't speak for this particular individual, but I've seen first hand how well they can help.

And fuck anyone who fakes a service dog so that they can take Fluffy wherever they want.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's a fancy term for a service dog that is claimed to be owned to reduce anxiety.  Same reason Paris Hilton types can take their little poodles everywhere, some doctor said they need it for their anxiety so legally it's a service dog.  It is something that has gained popularity in the last few years and has become highly abused

I have no sympathy for this vet on the issue.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a fancy term for a service dog that is claimed to be owned to reduce anxiety.  Same reason Paris Hilton types can take their little poodles everywhere, some doctor said they need it for their anxiety so legally it's a service dog.  It is something that has gained popularity in the last few years and has become highly abused

I have no sympathy for this vet on the issue.  

I have a close friend in Tacoma that runs a non-profit to provide Service Animals to Vets with PTSD. A large part of that is placing puppies with a vet as that bonding is part of the program. The Vet is then required to attend training twice a week for about 10 months in order to properly train the animal to the Service Dog standards of trained tasks.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier that we got in late 2007, in 2008 I deployed, coming home in 2009. That was trip #3 to Iraq. In 2011 my VA provider wrote a prescription for an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), specifically naming my JRT as that animal. He is NOT a "Service Animal", but I am afforded two distinctions with that letter-By law, as an ESA is a loophole in the Fair Housing Act, as well as FAA Travel Restrictions on aircraft.

I agree, there's been much abuse and you can't research ESA's or Service Dogs without wading through 2 pages of phony documentation sites. Here's what Wiki has to say, as it's the most condensed version of the information.

In the U.S., federal protection against housing discrimination is afforded to mentally disabled persons under two federal statutes: Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Federal Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 (FHAA).[2] These statutes, and the corresponding case law, create the general rule that a landlord cannot discriminate against disabled persons in housing, and if a reasonable accommodation will enable a disabled person to equally enjoy and use the rental unit, the landlord must provide the accommodation. Persons with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation, such as a waiver of a "no pets policy," for any assistance animal, including an emotional support animal, under both the FHAA and Section 504.[3]

The Air Carrier Access Act establishes a procedure for modifying pet policies on aircraft to permit a person with a disability to travel with a prescribed emotional support animal, so long as they have appropriate documentation and the animal is not a danger to others and does not interfere with others (through unwanted attention, barking, inappropriate toileting, etc.).[14][15]

In regards to airline policies affecting persons flying with animals, most airlines charge fees and require the animal to be in a cage that can fit under the seat; if a caged animal cannot be placed under the seat, the animal flies with the luggage.[16] With emotional assistance animals, on the other hand, they are not required to be caged, nor are people charged for flying with an emotional support animal.[16]

With the exceptions provided to emotional support animals, many people who do not have a mental disability have tried to bring their animals on a plane and pass them off as emotional support animals.[16] Airlines, like Southwest and JetBlue, however, typically have policies that passengers flying with emotional support animals must follow.[17][18] While an airline is allowed to require a passenger traveling with an emotional animal provide written documentation that the animal is an emotional support animal, the same is not true for a service animal.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_support_animal

Bottom line, if the guy has a prescription, the landlord needs to make the accommodation, he most likely could've avoided drama with a simple conversation ahead of time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But he is a veteran
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hire attorney, sue for ADA violation, use settlement for down payment on house, problem solved.
Arfcom's answer for everything. Sue the problem until you're prosperous. Never mind the guy broke the rules where he lives and didn't bother to ask mansgement first.

But he is a veteran
Don't get it twisted. I've got respect. Just saying the man served to protect a nstion of rules and law. The rules say no dogs. Man up and pack it over to an apartment that will happily accept your money and dogs.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't get it twisted. I've got respect. Just saying the man served to protect a nstion of rules and law. The rules say no dogs. Man up and pack it over to an apartment that will happily accept your money and dogs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hire attorney, sue for ADA violation, use settlement for down payment on house, problem solved.
Arfcom's answer for everything. Sue the problem until you're prosperous. Never mind the guy broke the rules where he lives and didn't bother to ask mansgement first.

But he is a veteran

And the rule of law, under the ADA, says that the landlord cannot evict due to his having a service dog.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Service dog" gets my BS radar pinging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"Service dog" gets my BS radar pinging.

Quoted:
The real problem is that, when you start defining every spoiled 18 year old bitch with a Yorkie as "disabled" and having a "comfort dog" it trivializes the concern for every legitimately disabled individual that actually needs a service animal.

Quoted:
And fuck anyone who fakes a service dog so that they can take Fluffy wherever they want.

Happens all the time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I guess caring for his wife and family isn't going to cut it, better take on a dog as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a different dynamic.  That's why people HAVE dogs.  Come on man.   A puppy is a kind of low stress, nearly unconditional love that even people have a hard time providing.  They're the ultimate warm fuzzy, and they grow up into a buddy that will always have your back.  Dogs kick ass.  I miss my dogs.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the problem with mental illness and the things done to treat it.  To the outside observer, it always looks like the patient is just being a pussy and goldbricking.

Mental illness can and does fucking kill a shitload of people, and yes.  A bit of fuzzy emotional support can make the difference between getting through another day and suck starting a shotgun for some folks.  

No joke.  I've known a LOT of people that are only around because they had an animal like that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Clearly a number of you have never known a vet with severe PTSD that has actually been helped with a service dog.

I can't speak for this particular individual, but I've seen first hand how well they can help.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

^
>>>THIS<<< Plus-

Quoted:
It's a different dynamic.  That's why people HAVE dogs.  Come on man.   A puppy is a kind of low stress, nearly unconditional love that even people have a hard time providing.  They're the ultimate warm fuzzy, and they grow up into a buddy that will always have your back.  Dogs kick ass.  I miss my dogs.  

Birddog and HR are on point.....

I had to retype my last post 3 times to avoid the CoC.....so fuck that...lemme let y'all know how I feel-

I LOVE the 1st Amendment, it allows all of the phonies to out themselves.

Anyone who thinks a Vet's 2A rights should be restricted/revoked because of a diagnosis of PTSD alone or that PTSD is akin to a Vet being some sort of homicidal ticking time bomb, you really don't know a fucking thing, your ignorance is contemptuous at best, eat a bowl full of cocks, no hot sauce.

You're in the same crowd that "Supports the troops but not the war" or slaps yellow ribbon magnets on their ride, thinking that makes them "a patriot". I piss on all of you such minded fucktards from a considerable height. If you're a healthy male, under the age of 50, you had your chance to step the fuck up, and do your bit, but you FAILED. STFU and move out, you're contaminating the gene pool & my planet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

^
>>>THIS<<< Plus-

I had to retype my last post 3 times to avoid the CoC.....so fuck that...lemme let y'all know how I feel-

Anyone who thinks a Vet's 2A rights should be restricted/revoked because of a diagnosis of PTSD alone or that PTSD is akin to a Vet being some sort of homicidal ticking time bomb, you really don't know a fucking thing, your ignorance is contemptuous at best, eat a bowl full of cocks, no hot sauce.

You're in the same crowd that "Supports the troops but not the war" or slaps yellow ribbon magnets on their ride, thinking that makes them "a patriot". I piss on all of you such minded fucktards from a considerable height. If you're a healthy male, under the age of 50, you had your chance to step the fuck up, and do your bit, but you FAILED. STFU and move out, you're contaminating the gene pool & my planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^
>>>THIS<<< Plus-

Quoted:

someone needs puppy hugs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it fair to say that Patton would have just slapped him across the face and told him to "buck up"?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

The "service Animal" thing is way out of hand!!!

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's because so many people invent their own definitions of what's allowed and then try get their imaginary laws enforced.  (only they can't, so they get butthurt over it)

Just from reading the replies here it's clear some don't understand that service dogs for PTSD are NOT "comfort" dogs, but actual, legal service animals.  

As for a "9 month old puppy" - that's actually the normal starting age for training.  The site I'm looking at starts as early as 8 months, tho 10 months is their optimal start age. http://darnfar.com/Dog%20Training/service_dog_training_age.htm

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

^
>>>THIS<<< Plus-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^
>>>THIS<<< Plus-

Quoted:

I think dvldog made a similar statement.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is it fair to say that Patton would have just slapped him across the face and told him to "buck up"?
View Quote

or how about move to a place that takes pets or not accept a pet when he's renting a place that prohibits them?  Anyone that has rented for a minute or searched for an apartment knows that pets aren't always accepted.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Name calling removed
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I have sob story fatigue. I really wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing "Girl Dumps Iraq Veteran!" headlines on some of these news sites.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Service dog = Pet
It's  a scam.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's because so many people invent their own definitions of what's allowed and then try get their imaginary laws enforced.  (only they can't, so they get butthurt over it)

Just from reading the replies here it's clear some don't understand that service dogs for PTSD are NOT "comfort" dogs, but actual, legal service animals.  

As for a "9 month old puppy" - that's actually the normal starting age for training.  The site I'm looking at starts as early as 8 months, tho 10 months is their optimal start age. http://darnfar.com/Dog%20Training/service_dog_training_age.htm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 weeks old, not 9 months old.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have sob story fatigue. I really wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing "Girl Dumps Iraq Veteran!" headlines on some of these news sites.
View Quote

"Jody Strikes Again! A soldier's trauma from the trenches of Germany."
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm all for supporting our vets.
A nine WEEK old puppy in training as a service animal for PTSD is NOT a service animal.
To be allowed in settings unsuitable for "pets" the service animal needs a certain level of stability, self control, and training.

Need more info/other side.

I would bet good money the dog is barking constantly or raising other red flags for separation issues that would be incompatible with apartment living.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From the article

Johnson has all of the necessary paperwork for the dog, and lives in an apartment that allows them.

What rules did he break?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd so much rather spend time with my dog than with relatives. Relatives create anxiety, the dog is relaxing. I'm an easier person to be around because of my dog.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#34]
The fucking stupidity and lack of reading comprehension in this thread is astounding.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he's disabled, and they can't discriminate against him because of ADA. So he'll just move in there because they can't do SHIT about it, or he didn't discuss it with his landlord prior.... Unless he was not told that up front, in which case it's a different story altogether and fuck that landlord. I'm guessing that is not the case, however.
It's really no different from gays trying to use discrimination to force chapels to marry them, and businesses to make them cakes.
While I appreciate his service, him being a vet has absolutely zero to do with it except to elicit sympathy in the article.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quite frankly my thoughts on this depend on whether or not the vet is full of shit.  As is my experience with vets who claim PTSD and people I know with "service dogs",  I'm leaning 90% towards "fuck this guy" and 10% towards "how dare that property owner."
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It can't. Or not an ADA category service animal anyways. It's a companion/support pet and they are not covered under ADA.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
one of those cases of fake service dog credentials from a fake online website is my guess.

Full? No.

But there were at least two or three on every flight I've taken lately. They're usually fine on the planes but yappy little shits in the airport.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I flew up to Boston last month sitting next to a lady with a fucking service piglet in her lap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm torn on this one.  I understand the value of a service dog in some cases of PTSD.  But I also see property rights are being extremely important.

I would be absolutely, positively, pissed the fuck off if I rented my house out under the terms of "no animals," and anyone (vet or not) got a judge to tell me I HAD to let them have their dog for any reason.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I flew up to Boston last month sitting next to a lady with a fucking service piglet in her lap.
View Quote

Maybe she was just protesting the lack of in-flight meals.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is a "psychiatric service dog?"  I was under the impression that service dogs were for blind people for help seeing or people with no arms or legs for help with grabbing stuff.  

Also, 9 weeks old is way too young to know if the dog will be any good at it.  

Edit:   I'm going to reserve judgement until I figure out what a psychiatric service dog is.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yet another example of the ADA fucking a property owner.

But, in this case, ArfCom cheers.
View Quote

Am I in before arfcom declares you a commie?

For the record, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#44]
ADA violation...he's about to get paid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#45]
And, we learned that before this story was broadcasted a lawyer was already involved, because of past history with Johnson.
View Quote

Me thinks there's more to the story than just the "sevice dog".

Also, unless I'm mistaking, somewhere in the articles there was mention that dogs were allowed at the apartment.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's the problem with mental illness and the things done to treat it.  To the outside observer, it always looks like the patient is just being a pussy and goldbricking.

Mental illness can and does fucking kill a shitload of people, and yes.  A bit of fuzzy emotional support can make the difference between getting through another day and suck starting a shotgun for some folks.  

No joke.  I've known a LOT of people that are only around because they had an animal like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great thing.   And I mean it.

But, I've seen the damage an animal can cause to an apartment.   Or the amount of noise it can create.  Or the amount of shit it can leave all over the parking lot.

I used to rent.  I chose apartments that did not accept government vouchers or animals so I wouldn't have to deal with the crap they come with.  I don't think apartments should have to accommodate service animals.  There are plenty of pet friendly options out there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But, I've seen the damage an animal can cause to an apartment.   Or the amount of noise it can create.  Or the amount of shit it can leave all over the parking lot.

I used to rent.  I chose apartments that did not accept government vouchers or animals so I wouldn't have to deal with the crap they come with.  I don't think apartments should have to accommodate service animals.  There are plenty of pet friendly options out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually there aren't here. We've looked and I can come up with enough to count on one hand. And they are either crack dens or they cost $1200 a month for two rooms
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Time to get a service rat and demand to go into a restaurant with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you.  If you own a home and choose to rent it out, it should be with any conditions you choose to include.  A person's need, however great, should not entitle him to force you to give him your property subject to terms you find unacceptable.  

Freedom and all.  That's what we were fighting for.  Unfortunately, we ain't got it here as much as we should.

Personally, I think disillusionment with the society we were fighting for is behind  a lot of the shit vets go through.  With the stuff we ask our guys to do in war, they need to know they're fighting for the good guys, and when they watch the shit happening at home.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd have to know more.  On one hand, you have a physical disability that triggers a mental disability, and the dog is supposed to help.  

On the other, it could be BS and the guy just wants a dog.  The puppy thing gets me.  

The story smells a little funny, but could be valid.
Page / 3
Top Top