BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Me thinks there's more to the story than just the "sevice dog".

Also, unless I'm mistaking, somewhere in the articles there was mention that dogs were allowed at the apartment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And, we learned that before this story was broadcasted a lawyer was already involved, because of past history with Johnson.

Me thinks there's more to the story than just the "sevice dog".

Also, unless I'm mistaking, somewhere in the articles there was mention that dogs were allowed at the apartment.

Most that "allow", have stupid expensive retainers and cleaning fees, conditions, etc.
They aren't very understanding if you sneak one in.
If I were a betting man....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Service dog = Pet
It's  a scam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How can a nine week old puppy be a service animal?

Service dog = Pet
It's  a scam.

I've helped raise 3 service dog puppies in training - after they complete 6 months of advanced training with professional trainers they are far more than pets.

We got the puppy when it was 8-10 weeks old and turn them in for advanced training at ~18 months old.   At 10 weeks the puppy is just a puppy that eats, pees & poops. Our puppies really didn't bark - their breeding is pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
From the article posted by the OP.
“When Jessie Johnson notified us that he was obtaining a service dog, we asked him to sign the documentation required for all service dog owners at Green Acres apartments. This documentation outlines the property's code of conduct relating to service dogs, and all service dog owners are required to sign the document, agreeing to pay for damages caused by the dog. Mr. Johnson declined to sign the paperwork, and as a result he was notified that he would be evicted unless he complied. The tenant signed the paperwork today, and we rescinded the eviction notice.”
View Quote

His lawyer must have advised him in how stupid he was behaving.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#5]
What special training is this animal receiving?  It sounds suspiciously like a pet in service dog's clothing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
“When Jessie Johnson notified us that he was obtaining a service dog, we asked him to sign the documentation required for all service dog owners at Green Acres apartments. This documentation outlines the property's code of conduct relating to service dogs, and all service dog owners are required to sign the document, agreeing to pay for damages caused by the dog. Mr. Johnson declined to sign the paperwork, and as a result he was notified that he would be evicted unless he complied. The tenant signed the paperwork today, and we rescinded the eviction notice.”

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This sounds like the dog is more of a "Therapy" dog than an actual service dog.  So it would not be covered by the ADA.

However once this dog is certified as a therapy dog, they are exempt from no pets rule in

residences..
View Quote

What did you just say
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What special training is this animal receiving?  It sounds suspiciously like a pet in service dog's clothing.
View Quote

To throw another vet into the mix, Marcus Luttrel was given a similar animal to help cope.  

I use my dog to cope as well.  He doesn't have the service dog label but I own my home so

Apparently there are some heartless mofos here today.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't care if the dog is a legit service dog or not. If it's against the rules of the apartment, then they need to find somewhere else that will accommodate them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Name calling removed about one of lefthandpath's posts regarding his blatant disregard and stupidity regarding servicemembers' PTSD and their recoveries

Wow, who's the fucking pussy that reported the post of me calling the guy who called out the person in question a bad name?

Utterly fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't care if the dog is a legit service dog or not. If it's against the rules of the apartment, then they need to find somewhere else that will accommodate them.
View Quote

I really hope it's not a thing in Ohio where it's cool to be retarded.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a fancy term for a service dog that is claimed to be owned to reduce anxiety.  Same reason Paris Hilton types can take their little poodles everywhere, some doctor said they need it for their anxiety so legally it's a service dog.  It is something that has gained popularity in the last few years and has become highly abused

I have no sympathy for this vet on the issue.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is a "psychiatric service dog?"  I was under the impression that service dogs were for blind people for help seeing or people with no arms or legs for help with grabbing stuff.  

Also, 9 weeks old is way too young to know if the dog will be any good at it.  

Edit:   I'm going to reserve judgement until I figure out what a psychiatric service dog is.

It's a fancy term for a service dog that is claimed to be owned to reduce anxiety.  Same reason Paris Hilton types can take their little poodles everywhere, some doctor said they need it for their anxiety so legally it's a service dog.  It is something that has gained popularity in the last few years and has become highly abused

I have no sympathy for this vet on the issue.  

Wrong, you are referring to an emotional support animal. Not trained at all. Big difference.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
one of those cases of fake service dog credentials from a fake online website is my guess.
View Quote

They have that available online?  Outstanding!  My faith in the American Can Do Spirit is restored.

Crybaby landlord should get reamed in media.  No Slack.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where can I send my dog for this psychiatric training?

View Quote

Dogs already minor in psychiatric services.  
Every day spent away from my hunting dogs is rough.  We are inseparable.

That vet has my sympathy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I flew up to Boston last month sitting next to a lady with a fucking service piglet in her lap.
View Quote

That was her baby, you brute
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What did you just say
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This sounds like the dog is more of a "Therapy" dog than an actual service dog.  So it would not be covered by the ADA.

However once this dog is certified as a therapy dog, they are exempt from no pets rule in

residences..

What did you just say

Not service dog, so not covered by ADA. However the fair housing act allows therapy dogs in residences that normally exempt them. They're only legally protected in homes and air planes.  Not restaurants, museums, schools etc. like the ADA protects actual service dogs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
one of those cases of fake service dog credentials from a fake online website is my guess.
View Quote

I'm all for service animals. Nine week old puppy?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it wrong for me to believe the landlord is right? If the lease states "no pets" then the Veteran should have looked for housing elsewhere...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top