Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Ben Rapelessburger
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Staubach #1
Favre #2 No one else is close, the guy never had anyone elite around him aside from Sterling Sharpe for a short time, he simply elevated everyone around him, he was asked to carry what was always a mediocre team, the Packers would have never been winners without him, take away Rodgers you still have a competitive team, he's not elite.  The back up Flynn that wasn't good enough to make a NFL ROSTER on any other team puts up bigger numbers than him.
View Quote

Flynn had a few good games, but he does not consistently put up better than Rodgers.

Rodgers has the highest passer rating of all-time, and Peyton is a distant second.

Do you honestly think that the guy who holds the record for most interceptions is the 2nd best QB ever? He would make my list of top 20, but not top ten (actually top 9, since I left a spot for "other").
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Close, but I say Otto Graham. Browns QB won the NFL Championship in their first year in the league. Name another NFL QB who did that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for the greatest - Sid Luckman

Close, but I say Otto Graham. Browns QB won the NFL Championship in their first year in the league. Name another NFL QB who did that?

This. Graham, Starr, and Johnny U not getting enough credit here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Stabauch & Bradshaw were awesome, especially playing against each other.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Joe Montana.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Fourth quarter....less than two minutes left...losing by 6....who do you want at QB?

Joe Montana
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Other: Football is gay
View Quote

We are sorry that you weren't good enough to make the team in high school, and that all the other kids laughed at you in gym class. Get over it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Flynn had a few good games, but he does not consistently put up better than Rodgers.

Rodgers has the highest passer rating of all-time, and Peyton is a distant second.

Do you honestly think that the guy who holds the record for most interceptions is the 2nd best QB ever? He would make my list of top 20, but not top ten (actually top 9, since I left a spot for "other").
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Staubach #1
Favre #2 No one else is close, the guy never had anyone elite around him aside from Sterling Sharpe for a short time, he simply elevated everyone around him, he was asked to carry what was always a mediocre team, the Packers would have never been winners without him, take away Rodgers you still have a competitive team, he's not elite.  The back up Flynn that wasn't good enough to make a NFL ROSTER on any other team puts up bigger numbers than him.

When did Favre ever have a winning team around him and you have your answer what he was able to do with such scrubs was nothing short of amazing, he begged them to draft him weapons, if they would have listened to him and drafted Randy Moss and not wasted a pick on Vinnie Holiday, we'd of seen another dynasty.

Rodgers will never be in the same conversation with anyone on this list, he's not even from the same era, it's not even the same game.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Joe Montana.

The fucking man.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We are sorry that you weren't good enough to make the team in high school, and that all the other kids laughed at you in gym class. Get over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other: Football is gay

Awww
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fourth quarter....less than two minutes left...losing by 6....who do you want at QB?

Joe Montana
View Quote

I have to go with this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Joe Montana
exactly Joe Montana won big games like the super bowl when it was up to good decision making and skill.

there are many other QBs that can do this but Joe is the best.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Young and Montana.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
No Favre? Pole fail.

ETA: I'm a Vikings guy so... yeah.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When did Favre ever have a winning team around him and you have your answer what he was able to do with such scrubs was nothing short of amazing, he begged them to draft him weapons, if they would have listened to him and drafted Randy Moss and not wasted a pick on Vinnie Holiday, we'd of seen another dynasty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Staubach #1

I think you are forgetting that when Favre's team won that single Superbowl, he also had a dominant defense, led by the great Reggie White. Combining that with a great punter and a great return guy, they almost always had a short field to work with. He didn't carry the whole team.

Edit: and Vonnie Holiday wasn't nearly as much of a wasted pick as Tony Mandarich, who they chose over Barry friggin Sanders. Can you imagine those 90s Packers with Barry carrying the ball?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hard to compare quarterbacks from different eras since the game now is much different than it was in the 70's and whatnot.

If you twisted my arm, I would probably go Joe Montana.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Peyton.

And I love Montana. I just think Peyton would have equaled or surpassed his numbers. He's clearly a superior NFL quarterback.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Peyton Manning.

That John Elway sunofagun sure wrecked my Chiefs a lot of times too.  

Joe Montana was up there too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Montana is the Emmitt Smith of the QB's, without his star studded team, he wouldnt even be in the conversation.

I really like Manning, granted he's won one ring, but he's a damn good choke artist.
View Quote

Dude, you're nuts. When he was an old man and went to KC, he was still fucking magic.

Joe Montana
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Roger Staubach, grew up watching him, solid guy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Tony Romo
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Dude, you're nuts. When he was an old man and went to KC, he was still fucking magic.
Joe Montana
View Quote

One of the greatest MNF games ever.

Oct 17, 1994 (Twenty fucking years ago already)

Gets good at 1:58

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Definitely going with Peyton.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Ryan Leaf, hands down.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Where is Sammy, Sid, and Otto?

Poll fale!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where is Sammy, Sid, and Otto?

Poll fale!!
View Quote

Poll limits you to ten choices. I picked the top 9 based primarily on their records, championships, and career passer ratings. You could NEVER make everyone agree on a top ten list.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Staubach #1

Passer rating. Lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Joe Montana
View Quote

Joe Montanas o line and Jerry Rice?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Where is Jamarcus Russell? This is the thread for worst qb of all time right
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Passer rating. Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Staubach #1

Passer rating. Lol

Because completion percentage, passing yards, touchdowns, and interceptions are meaningless when we are discussing the greatest quarterback, right?    What statistic would you prefer to use?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hands down..... Joe Montana
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Dandy Don.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for the greatest - Sid Luckman

Yep...Automatic Otto far eclipses Montanilow and these other pretty boys. I'd also roger up for Bobby Lane and Y.A. Tittle, just because they were tough bastards who could take a hit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#35]
TERRY FUCK ING BRADSHAW
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Montana
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Ditka.

The answer to greatest football anything is always Ditka.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/60/files/2014/09/ditka-in-sweater.jpg
View Quote

You're wrong:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Kurt Warner.  Only QB to take two different teams to the Superbowl.  Rams were 4-12 the year before he became the starter, 14-2 and Superbowl champs the next season with him.  The Cardinals were mediocre without him, and would have been Superbowl champs had their defense been able to hold that last drive, after he brought the Cardinals back in the 4th quarter.

The fastest release I've ever seen combined with the best ability to hit receivers perfectly in stride.

Oops. Forgot that Manning has now done it as well and Craig Morton did it first.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Montana was good, but I honestly think Young was better; his total numbers just never got there because of the concussion thing - and his wisdom at getting out.

But best EVER? Manning. Aaron Rodgers has a chance to be close, some day, as does Andrew Luck. Both are ahead of Manning where Manning was at their Age/Experience. The thing is, though... Manning keeps getting BETTER.

Nobody - NOBODY - has been as good as Manning at his age. And he's at the peak. He's better than ever. It's scary. He's 38... and the best. Montana retired at 38... and he was a shadow of himself with KC.

I really think the test of a QB is his brains. Arm, legs, size... all that is purely secondary. Drew Brees is small. Manning is slow with a weak arm. Tom Brady is slower, with a weak arm. And those three are GREAT QB's... because of their brains. They know EXACTLY what to do in any given situation, and they'll just plain outthink you.

Manning is the best, the most intelligent of the current bunch. Young was incredibly smart; his career was just too short. Rodgers and Luck are very smart, have physical skills that nobody else in this post has, and are still growing as players.

There were great QB's in previous generations... but the current generation has learned, grown from them. They're standing on the shoulders of Giants; that's why they're taller.

My top 5:

1) Manning
2) Young
3) Montana
4) Rodgers
5) Brees

Caveat: Rodgers and especially Luck are nowhere near their peak. The PEAK for Elway and Farve was impressive... but their brains and their bodies both meshed for too short a time to make a greatest-all-time list. They both made incredibly stupid mistakes for long periods of time, trusting their physical skills over their brains... and it didn't always work. And there are others, like Russell Wilson, who look like they have the brains to make something amazing happen.

Caveat #2: I don't put as much credence as some in Super Bowls. That's a TEAM, not a personal, achievement, and the best teams often can get there, and win it, with a mediocre QB, or at least one that isn't the best in the league. I think you can look at teams like Peyton in Indy, Brees always, Rodgers until recently... those teams were dependant on their QB. But take the Tom Brady Pats... when they were dependant on Brady - they lost. When they were a good team even without him - they won. The GM has as much to do with that as the QB.

ETA: Marino. Could have been great. Maybe the best ever. Was never surrounded with even half as much talent as it would take to convince me of that. Huge numbers... But never when it counts. The Super Bowl statement above stands... for multiples. But to even be in this conversation, you've gotta have one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Asu...Manning and Brady have weak arms?  Wtf are you smoking?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Christian Ponder

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Montana was good, but I honestly think Young was better; his total numbers just never got there because of the concussion thing - and his wisdom at getting out.

But best EVER? Manning. Aaron Rodgers has a chance to be close, some day, as does Andrew Luck. Both are ahead of Manning where Manning was at their Age/Experience. The thing is, though... Manning keeps getting BETTER.

Nobody - NOBODY - has been as good as Manning at his age. And he's at the peak. He's better than ever. It's scary. He's 38... and the best. Montana retired at 38... and he was a shadow of himself with KC.

I really think the test of a QB is his brains. Arm, legs, size... all that is purely secondary. Drew Brees is small. Manning is slow with a weak arm. Tom Brady is slower, with a weak arm. And those three are GREAT QB's... because of their brains. They know EXACTLY what to do in any given situation, and they'll just plain outthink you.

Manning is the best, the most intelligent of the current bunch. Young was incredibly smart; his career was just too short. Rodgers and Luck are very smart, have physical skills that nobody else in this post has, and are still growing as players.

There were great QB's in previous generations... but the current generation has learned, grown from them. They're standing on the shoulders of Giants; that's why they're taller.

My top 5:

1) Manning

2) Young

3) Montana

4) Rodgers

5) Brees

Caveat: Rodgers and especially Luck are nowhere near their peak. The PEAK for Elway and Farve was impressive... but their brains and their bodies both meshed for too short a time to make a greatest-all-time list. They both made incredibly stupid mistakes for long periods of time, trusting their physical skills over their brains... and it didn't always work. And there are others, like Russell Wilson, who look like they have the brains to make something amazing happen.

Caveat #2: I don't put as much credence as some in Super Bowls. That's a TEAM, not a personal, achievement, and the best teams often can get there, and win it, with a mediocre QB, or at least one that isn't the best in the league. I think you can look at teams like Peyton in Indy, Brees always, Rodgers until recently... those teams were dependant on their QB. But take the Tom Brady Pats... when they were dependant on Brady - they lost. When they were a good team even without him - they won. The GM has as much to do with that as the QB.

ETA: Marino. Could have been great. Maybe the best ever. Was never surrounded with even half as much talent as it would take to convince me of that. Huge numbers... But never when it counts. The Super Bowl statement above stands... for multiples. But to even be in this conversation, you've gotta have one.
View Quote

lol .... you have no idea what you are talking about

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Christian Ponder

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Well, look what we have here, a comedian!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Jim Kelly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#46]
No Favre in the poll? Fail.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No Favre in the poll? Fail.
View Quote

The question was not "who threw the most picks of all time, then went to his former team's arch rivals just to spite them?".
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#49]
WHERE THE FUCK IS TROY AIKMAN?!!!!

POLL FAIL!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
WHERE THE FUCK IS TROY AIKMAN?!!!!

POLL FAIL!!!
View Quote

Only room for ten choices, and whiny bitches were automatically excluded.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top