Joe Montana.

The fucking man.
View Quote
Pretty much the gold standard.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No debate that he wasnt. To litterly plug another guy in, even as good as the replacement is, does indicate that there was a solid supporting cast present

And manning has recovered from massive surgeries and taken the broncos to super bowl in 2 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve Young was a great quarterback, not like he was some shrub they threw in there!  

No debate that he wasnt. To litterly plug another guy in, even as good as the replacement is, does indicate that there was a solid supporting cast present

And manning has recovered from massive surgeries and taken the broncos to super bowl in 2 years.
Heck, Tebow took the Broncos to the AFC championship game before Manning arrived.. and he isn't exactly Montana. I would say Denver has MORE talent than the old school 9ers. I would also say the Broncos have added a lot of talent in the last few years replacing Royal with Welker, Tamme with J. Thomas, and Sanders for Decker.

The best ever?

Bart Starr

Joe Montana

Terry Bradshaw

Roger Staubach

Peyton Manning

Johnny Unitas

Troy Aikman

John Elway

Tom Brady

Dan Marino

Otto Graham

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I think Marino was the most gifted.

Hard to say who's best, all thinks not being equal, i.e different offenses, team strengths / weaknesses, coaches.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Y A Tittle

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think you are forgetting that when Favre's team won that single Superbowl, he also had a dominant defense, led by the great Reggie White. Combining that with a great punter and a great return guy, they almost always had a short field to work with. He didn't carry the whole team.

Edit: and Vonnie Holiday wasn't nearly as much of a wasted pick as Tony Mandarich, who they chose over Barry friggin Sanders. Can you imagine those 90s Packers with Barry carrying the ball?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Staubach #1
Favre #2 No one else is close, the guy never had anyone elite around him aside from Sterling Sharpe for a short time, he simply elevated everyone around him, he was asked to carry what was always a mediocre team, the Packers would have never been winners without him, take away Rodgers you still have a competitive team, he's not elite.  The back up Flynn that wasn't good enough to make a NFL ROSTER on any other team puts up bigger numbers than him.

Flynn had a few good games, but he does not consistently put up better than Rodgers.

Rodgers has the highest passer rating of all-time, and Peyton is a distant second.

Do you honestly think that the guy who holds the record for most interceptions is the 2nd best QB ever? He would make my list of top 20, but not top ten (actually top 9, since I left a spot for "other").

When did Favre ever have a winning team around him and you have your answer what he was able to do with such scrubs was nothing short of amazing, he begged them to draft him weapons, if they would have listened to him and drafted Randy Moss and not wasted a pick on Vinnie Holiday, we'd of seen another dynasty.

I think you are forgetting that when Favre's team won that single Superbowl, he also had a dominant defense, led by the great Reggie White. Combining that with a great punter and a great return guy, they almost always had a short field to work with. He didn't carry the whole team.

Edit: and Vonnie Holiday wasn't nearly as much of a wasted pick as Tony Mandarich, who they chose over Barry friggin Sanders. Can you imagine those 90s Packers with Barry carrying the ball?

My favorite player as a kid

Favre, Reggie, Barry, same team. how many superbowls? (Assuming the broncos on that run with Davis/Elway never win any of theirs )
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Joe Montana

exactly Joe Montana won big games like the super bowl when it was up to good decision making and skill.   there are many other QBs that can do this but Joe is the best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fourth quarter....less than two minutes left...losing by 6....who do you want at QB?
Joe Montana

exactly Joe Montana won big games like the super bowl when it was up to good decision making and skill.   there are many other QBs that can do this but Joe is the best.

Madden's Favorite Brett!

Quoted:
Tony Romo

He isn't the best in that franchise's history, isn't the best in the league right now. He doesn't belong in the conversation
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fourth quarter....less than two minutes left...losing by 6....who do you want at QB?

Joe Montana
View Quote

Matt Ryan
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:30:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Romo

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Romo

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kurt Warner.  Only QB to take two different teams to the Superbowl.  Rams were 4-12 the year before he became the starter, 14-2 and Superbowl champs the next season with him.  The Cardinals were mediocre without him, and would have been Superbowl champs had their defense been able to hold that last drive, after he brought the Cardinals back in the 4th quarter.

The fastest release I've ever seen combined with the best ability to hit receivers perfectly in stride.

Oops. Forgot that Manning has now done it as well and Craig Morton did it first.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Haven't read the thread - the poll not having Roger Staubach means the poll fucking failed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Warren Moon
View Quote

This is one of the best logical answers of this thread

current #8 of Pass TDs yet has a little more than half the seasons played as of Manning. And on top of that this was done on the back half of his career.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The poll should be broken out between those quarterbacks who actually called their own plays and the ones who are told what to do via speakers in their helmets.  Modern day QB's have it way easier imho.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Fuck the NFL

Y'all already forgot, didn't you? LMAO!

Of course you did!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Poll fail. Doesn't include Peyton's boss.
View Quote

This.  No shit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Montana.

/thread
View Quote

This.  It is not just stats, it is wins and more importantly, playoff and Super Bowl wins.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#18]
NO AIKMAN OR STAUBACH???????

You suck, OP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#19]
1940's - Baugh or Baugh

1950's -  Graham or Layne

1960's - Unitas or Unitas

1970's - Staubach or Bradshaw

1980's - Montana or Montana

1990's - Favre?

2000's - Manning
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hard to compare quarterbacks from different eras since the game now is much different than it was in the 70's and whatnot.

If you twisted my arm, I would probably go Joe Montana.
View Quote
Montana was the perfect quarterback for the West Coast offense. But it was the West Coast offense that made him so great--not that he wasn't a great quarterback, just he was prefect for the short passing, high speed offense that was the West Coast, I don't believe he would have been so great with another organization.

Manny is good.

However, being a Redskins fan, no matter how much it pains me to say so, Roger Staubuch was the best field general I have ever seen play football.

Dan Marino comes in there as well. Never had the support that other teams had, but as far as making a quick decision, reading defenses, and getting to ball to the receiver, he was in the top few.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.  It is not just stats, it is wins and more importantly, playoff and Super Bowl wins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Montana.

/thread

You'd think this would be an easy concept to grasp but many here don't.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quintin Barnes from the ionath Krakens.

Nevermind you said NFL not GFL.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Without a doubt, Peyton Manning.

Most touchdowns in a season.
Most touchdowns in a career.
2013 Broncos scored more points than any team in NFL history.

No contest.
View Quote

and how well did that work in his most recent Superbowl

The fact is Manning shouldn't be in anybody's list as greatest (let alone in the top 5 of greatest). When you had the advantages he has had in his career why shouldn't you do great on the stat sheet. Never had to compete for Starting roll (Drafted round 1 pick 1) Never had to compete for a higher salary except once, always got help from the office. If any of the listed quarterback (and the great ones that didn't) had all these advantages Manning would be nothing more than his dad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#26]
"Joe Montana was a product of the system. Dan Marino was the system" -Bill Walsh.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Johnny U.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Voted Montana, but he was throwing to the best receiver ever and had the best supporting cast in history.
View Quote

Who were the superstars on '49'ers team for Superbowl 16?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Joe Montanas o line and Jerry Rice?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe Montana

Where was Jerry Rice for Superbowl 16?  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Joe Nameth
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd go with Steve Young, though in any particular season, I'd say there are quarterbacks that could match him. It's only his consistency that really puts him over the top.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Voted Montana, but he was throwing to the best receiver ever and had the best supporting cast in history.

Ray Wersching
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I disagree with you.

I watched a film breakdown of the toss/catch of 509.

Every receiver was doubled. He threw a perfect pass to the one defender who made a mistake and made it look like an easy toss/catch, but in reality it was a well practiced play. Whether Manning anticipated it or read it and reacted to it, only he will know. It was clear the mistake the corner made when pointed out. He looked like he had him covered, but it was a read by Manning and a perfect delivery. The corner on the other side played it perfectly. Manning threw it to the open player. That doesn't happen by accident.

He is WAY better than you think. Way better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without a doubt, Peyton Manning.

Most touchdowns in a season.
Most touchdowns in a career.
2013 Broncos scored more points than any team in NFL history.

No contest.

and how well did that work in his most recent Superbowl

The fact is Manning shouldn't be in anybody's list as greatest (let alone in the top 5 of greatest). When you had the advantages he has had in his career why shouldn't you do great on the stat sheet. Never had to compete for Starting roll (Drafted round 1 pick 1) Never had to compete for a higher salary except once, always got help from the office. If any of the listed quarterback (and the great ones that didn't) had all these advantages Manning would be nothing more than his dad.

I disagree with you.

I watched a film breakdown of the toss/catch of 509.

Every receiver was doubled. He threw a perfect pass to the one defender who made a mistake and made it look like an easy toss/catch, but in reality it was a well practiced play. Whether Manning anticipated it or read it and reacted to it, only he will know. It was clear the mistake the corner made when pointed out. He looked like he had him covered, but it was a read by Manning and a perfect delivery. The corner on the other side played it perfectly. Manning threw it to the open player. That doesn't happen by accident.

He is WAY better than you think. Way better.

Im not doubting his skill but if your looking at greatest QB you need to look at full career not just one game. As I stated look at many of the great QBs like Brett Favre. If the home office (GB) did what they did for Manning (either team) Favre would've been much higher in stats Same could be said about Dan Marino or even Lynn Dickey (80s GB QB who had nothing and still managed to make it work) heck even Tony Romo. Point is Manning is one of the few QBs that has had all the advantages with no disadvantage except a back problem he is suppose to have a great career. It would be a much different story if he had no home office support.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#36]
When Joe Montana came out of college the book on him was

1)  Too Small

2) Too slow.

3) Okay, but not great arm.

I'm picking Roger Staubach becasue he is the richest of QB of all time.  Worth something like $600,000,000.   He was drafted out of college by the Dallas Cowboys even though he graduated from the USNA and they had to wait 4 years to get him.  It also cost him four years of his prime playing time and he was still great for a long time.  

Peyton Manning seems to succumb to pressure.  To me the perfect QB would be Peyton Manning with the grit of Eli.  Eli seems to come trough better in high pressure situations.  

Toughest QB of all time IMHO is Y. A. Tittle.  This photo says it all.  Becasue of him I am a Giants fan to this day.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe Montana

People seem to forget that Rice was a receiver only in Montana's last two Super Bowls.  Montana already had two rings before Jerry Rice ever played an NFL down.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#38]
How are terry Bradshaw and Troy aikman not on the poll.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It is really hard to compare QBs honestly.

With different eras you have different advantages. Now the rules favor passers and receivers. However, back in the day there was no salary cap, meaning you could keep a better team together longer. Also, defensive players were smaller back then and the league was not so pass centric. A stud like Marino is going to stand out more when there fewer elite rivals. Go back far enough and roids were legal. Go back even farther and there are no black guys. How do you begin to factor in that?

Also, what stat counts the most? QBR, TDs, Passing YRDs, Wins, Playoff Wins, Super Bowls Wins?

View Quote

You forgot hottest wife.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because most people are smart enough to realize that Super Bowl wins, while a great measure of a team, are pretty damn useless when looking at just an individual player.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, the poll is terrible to begin with.  Should look more like:

Montana
Brady
Aikman
Elway
P. Manning
Bradshaw

Next 4-5 are fringe but not really worthy of GOAT talk
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Montana
Brady
Aikman
Elway
P. Manning
Bradshaw

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Montana
Brady
Aikman
Elway
P. Manning
Bradshaw

No... it should be:

Peyton Manning

Joe Montana

Dan Marino

I only watch soccer
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because there was only room for 9 names plus "other". If there was room for 20, Bradshaw, Favre, and Aikman would have made the list, even though Troy is a whiny little bitch, and played behind one of the best ever O-lines, so we don't know how he could have played behind a shitty line, forced out of the pocket on every other play.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I voted pie, no such thing as THE greatest. So many different great QBs from different eras, teams, leagues, styles, etc. to name anyone as the best, though if I HAD to pick, it would be Montana.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Montana
Brady
Aikman
Elway
P. Manning
Bradshaw

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Montana
Brady
Aikman
Elway
P. Manning
Bradshaw

You think Aikman and Bradshaw are better than Unitas, Favre, Marino? Even Bradshaw said that Favre was better than him. As said several times, you could never please everyone with 9 choices. That's why "other" is a choice. But those other choices are irrelevant, because Peyton and Joe are running away with it. I thought the results would be a bit more balanced than they are.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Joe Montana.

The fucking man.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You think Aikman and Bradshaw are better than Unitas, Favre, Marino? Even Bradshaw said that Favre was better than him. As said several times, you could never please everyone with 9 choices. That's why "other" is a choice. But those other choices are irrelevant, because Peyton and Joe are running away with it. I thought the results would be a bit more balanced than they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Montana
Brady
Aikman
Elway
P. Manning
Bradshaw

And only because of the record manning just broke, you conduct the same poll last Feb 7th after he got curb stomped by Seattle and results would be way different
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
And only because of the record manning just broke, you conduct the same poll last Feb 7th after he got curb stomped by Seattle and results would be way different

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Montana

Brady

Aikman

Elway

P. Manning

Bradshaw

Yep

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The poll should be broken out between those quarterbacks who actually called their own plays and the ones who are told what to do via speakers in their helmets.  Modern day QB's have it way easier imho.
View Quote

Spot on.

A lot of the QBs mentioned here were playing completely different types of football.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Sammy Baugh - not just the greatest quarterback, but the best player, bar none.

And everything he did he did wearing a leather helmet and low-tech pads, in a game that wasn't one rule away from being played with flags.

It's not really a debatable answer.  
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top