Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2014 6:51:05 AM EDT
Wow.  They completely got a pass post WWII compared to the Germans.

They had a couple interviews with Japanese "veterans".  They were old men, relatively "recent" interviews.  One of them was laughing about raping little girls.  Like 10 year olds.  

The woman who wrote the book the documentary was based on was so fucked up by the research, she killed herself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_Chang

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, we DID nuke them.

Twice.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, we DID nuke them.

Twice.
View Quote

Just made them weirder.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I read her book about the Rape of Nanking during my first flight to Japan.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well, we DID nuke them.

Twice.
View Quote

Unfortunately, we didn't nuke their army in the field.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've been aware of that book for awhile.

Can't bring myself to read it.

I find the written word to be more disturbing than film for some reason.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a rough read.  It had some pretty gruesome photographs in it, too.  The one that sticks out in my mind is a naked women impaled on a stake.  I can see it vividly even though I last saw that picture 14 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing they could put in a movie that would get past the MPAA rating teams could possibly compare to what your imagination will fill in from the descriptions in a book.

I haven't read this one yet either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, we DID nuke them.

Twice.
View Quote

After reading "Ghost soldiers", two wasn't good enough in my opinion.  Thanks OP, Ill check it out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The Rape of Nanking.

Oye. No words.

Man. War is Hell.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Japan got a pass because General MAcArthur didn't want to deal with a Guerilla War.

The Emperor, the top command staff, the IJA, and IJN are all dirty with blood of the innocent.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely. the words freeze brand into your brain.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah they did seem to get a pass compared to Germany but not entirely.

I read a history book on that "raping of Nanking" a long time ago and it was really a savage time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Some of the claims are disputed. The extent of what happened is not agreed, though there's no doubt that the soldiers forced the locals to become comfort women and there was widespread looting and killing.

We held thousands of trials for Japanese men after they surrendered. http://www.historynet.com/japanese-war-crime-trials.htm

I think racial preference, access, and media exposure had a lot to do with the greater attention to the European murders than the Asian ones. Most Americans still have no idea what the Japanese did in China. Eisenhower intentionally brought the media through the German concentration camps. The news feasted on the Nuremberg trials, partly as vindication for what they'd seen at Auschwitz, et al.

Plus, we burned them and nuked them and killed at least 300,000 Japanese civilians just in three noteworthy air raids.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just made them weirder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, we DID nuke them.

Twice.

Just made them weirder.

I believe the opposite side. We nuked them but not enough. They are still fucked up, just not rape children and perform sadistic medical experiments fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#15]
The hatred of Japan by China is about to cause another war. We don't hold grudges, everyone else does.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Article published in Japan, talking about the "Contest to Cut down 100 people with a sword".

Sword used in the contest at display in Taiwan.

Prince Yasuhiko Asaka in Command of IJA forces in Nanking. He was appointed there by the Emperor.

Japanese about to behead Chinese POW.

IJA burying Chinese civilian alive.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Watch the "City Of Life And Death" on netflix streaming... excellent movie about nanking.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I read the book . I also read a book about Wounded Knee .
Both show the savagery of mankind
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
If memory serves there were over a thousand Japanese executed for war crimes by the Western allies.....About the same as the Germans.

Those that were simply marched east and  "disappeared" by the Soviets into labor camps are another story. One in six made it back home and then only 10-15 years after the war ended.

The Soviets did the same thing to Japanese POWs and those that they convicted for war crimes so the figure may be much higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_prisoners_of_war_in_the_Soviet_Union

I don't think they got much of a "pass" at all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
They don't call it "The Rape of Nanking" for nothin'!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some of the claims are disputed. The extent of what happened is not agreed, though there's no doubt that the soldiers forced the locals to become comfort women and there was widespread looting and killing.

We held thousands of trials for Japanese men after they surrendered. http://www.historynet.com/japanese-war-crime-trials.htm

I think racial preference, access, and media exposure had a lot to do with the greater attention to the European murders than the Asian ones. Most Americans still have no idea what the Japanese did in China. Eisenhower intentionally brought the media through the German concentration camps. The news feasted on the Nuremberg trials, partly as vindication for what they'd seen at Auschwitz, et al.

Plus, we burned them and nuked them and killed at least 300,000 Japanese civilians just in three noteworthy air raids.
View Quote

My grandfather jumped on Corregidor during the Philippines campaign.  From what he told, I don't doubt anything in that book
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If memory serves there were over a thousand Japanese executed for war crimes by the Western allies.....About the same as the Germans.

Those that were simply marched east and  "disappeared" by the Soviets into labor camps are another story. One in six made it back home and then only 10-15 years after the war ended.

The Soviets did the same thing to Japanese POWs and those that they convicted for war crimes so the figure may be much higher.

View Quote
The Soviets didn't give anyone a Pass. The Western Allies did to a degree to the Japanese. Yes, we tried them. But culturally speaking. Japan was let off the hook. The world grilled Germany for their horrific acts but Japan was pretty much forgiven. Partially it is because their victims weren't "people". Many in the world then didn't give a flying fuck about the Chinese, Koreans, or Vietnamese because they weren't white europeans. Much like many in the world don't give a flying fuck about what happens in Africa.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The Soviets didn't give anyone a Pass. The Western Allies did to a degree to the Japanese. Yes, we tried them. But culturally speaking. Japan was let off the hook. The world grilled Germany for their horrific acts but Japan was pretty much forgiven. Partially it is because their victims weren't "people". Many in the world then didn't give a flying fuck about the Chinese, Koreans, or Vietnamese because they weren't white europeans. Much like many in the world don't give a flying fuck about what happens in Africa.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This kind of sums it up.  The Western world is not going to get quite as riled up when the victims are other Asians.

The Chinese in particular have always been pretty cunty.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll have to read that.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Asia was a long way off then. Europe was the epicenter of western civilization. McArthur knew the only way to subjugate the Japanese was through their culture (emperor and religion). We didn't really give a damn about Asia anyway much less Asians.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This kind of sums it up.  The Western world is not going to get quite as riled up when the victims are other Asians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Chinese in particular have always been pretty cunty.

The world beat so hard into Germany's collective mind that they're still ashamed of what happened in WWII (Former East Germany doesn't count.... fucking Soviets). Japan never got that. At no point has Japan ever really been dragged through the gutters of history and forced to see what they've done.

The reason is General MacArthur didn't want the entire country rising up with sharpen wooden spears. If the Emperor was put on trial as a war criminal and and Western Allies actually gave a damn of what Japan did in China and Korea then Japan would be sorry for what they did. But the Western Allies simply cared about going after those that started the war with them. For the most part the US was only interested in those that pushed for the attack on Pearl Harbor. They didn't give a fuck about the millions of Chinese killed. Same with the Brits and the other European powers. They simply wanted those that pushed for the attack on their colonies and businesses.

The world viewed Japan's actions in China as a internal matter between Japan and China and didn't care. The victims weren't white Europeans that looked just like the victors of war.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Asia was a long way off then. Europe was the epicenter of western civilization. McArthur knew the only way to subjugate the Japanese was through their culture (emperor and religion). We didn't really give a damn about Asia anyway much less Asians.
View Quote

Hell, his Father was Governor-General of the Philippines. MacArthur didn't give a fuck about Asians and viewed them as a people to be ruled.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Watch the "City Of Life And Death" on netflix streaming... excellent movie about nanking.
View Quote

Was coming here to post this.  Excellent movie.  Most depressing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The hatred of Japan by China is about to cause another war. We don't hold grudges, everyone else does.
View Quote

Tell the southern boys about not holding grudges.  It'll come as news to them.

Especially so, because they are unfounded grudges.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#30]
It was absolute savagery.

There was a reason the US did what it did to end that war.

Something that's hard to find figures on is the number of Axis war criminals executed by Allied forces after the war.  The number is in the thousands.  Nuremburg didn't even scratch the surface.  There were thousands of summary judgments handed down.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some of the claims are disputed. .
View Quote

By who?

The Japanese...?!-?! Have you actually *read* the book, and looked at her sources... ?!-?! Or just listened to the official response from Japanese folks who continue to deny that *anything* happened in Nanking. To listen to the Japanese talk, the Japanese went to Nanking on a humanitarian exercise...

Much of the claims in the book were from a *minister* who was a missionary in China... And other fellow missionaries who witnessed many of the more horrendous claims first-hand.

Yeah, the Chinese had short memories about the atrocities that happened...

But the no-dog-in-the-fight, third-party source was freaking Christian missionaries...

Much (~most, ~all) of the claims in "Rape of Nanking" were known long before the book was written. She just went through the leg work to produce an academically rigorous work putting all the claims together. It is historically accurate.

Yeah... Culturally, the Japanese continued to deny that atrocities occurred. In many circles there is a *continued* mentality, "Why would evil Americans attack *us,* a peace-loving people?" Culturally speaking, the Japanese have never opened-up about their past mistakes at all...

As for the *accuracy* of the horrendous claims in the book... The acts were known in academic circles for years... Long before the book was published...

And her sources are crystal-clear...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll have to read that.

View Quote

I had not even heard of it... I was in the "military" section of the library and saw the book.

Took it home, and ho-leee crap!-! I was *not* prepared.

Here is your preparation... Think of a sex/violence psycho given free-reign in a city. Multiply that by an Army.

It was witnessed by Catholic/Christian missionaries.

You will hug your wife and kids a little tighter for the weeks following you finishing the book...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#33]
So the reason, if you can even call it that was that Nanking was under siege and after storming the city the Japanese went into total Medieval war mode killing,raping, torturing everyone? The aftermath of sieges have almost always been murderous affairs for the sacked city.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#34]
The nurse tried to hide the young girls from the Japanese troops so they would not get raped, the troops then left with young boys to rape.

From a population of approximately 600,000-700,000 inhabitants in the city before it fell, it is estimated that at least 300,000 were killed and at least 20,000 were raped. [Iris Chang, The Rape of Nanking. NY: Penguin Books, 1998, p. 139]
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So the reason, if you can even call it that was that Nanking was under siege and after storming the city the Japanese went into total Medieval war mode killing,raping, torturing everyone? The aftermath of sieges have almost always been murderous affairs for the sacked city.
View Quote

Funny how one era's normalcy is another era's savagery.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Why do the Japs get a pass? I think it has something to do with ethnicities.

Fellow once-Europeans in America felt much closer to WW2 in that they understood who the Jews, Gypsies, Poles, and Slavs were as a people.

In Asia? Everyone looks the same and who cares if they're killing each other. Now we know better as more Asians have immigrated here, but at the same I'm sure the feeling was apathy.

Same way people now look at the Middle East.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Meh.

Let's compare the number of people the Japanese killed compared to the number of people the Communist Chinese and Soviets killed in their own countries.
Then let's compare how many of those criminals still walk free.

Hell, let's count the number of toilet licking maggots in Academia that revere those murderous Reds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#38]
The Japanese men are still a bunch of deviant savage perverts. Koreans hate them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Mao didn't raise he issue with Nanking because he wanted good trade relations with Japan after the PRC came into power. For all the shit Mao talked about he didn't have issues in business dealings with Japan. Of course the Chinese peasants had no fucking clue. The official party line was that the PRC was doing everything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Meh.

Let's compare the number of people the Japanese killed compared to the number of people the Communist Chinese and Soviets killed in their own countries.

Hell, let's count the number of toilet licking maggots in Academia that revere those murderous Reds.
View Quote

Out of all the fuck ups in the 20th Century. Communism is the worst by far and killed half of my family.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Japanese men are still a bunch of deviant savage perverts. Koreans hate them.
View Quote

That, too. Japanese porn is .
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Koreans hate them because they lost. Not because they are very different. Same with the Chinese.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Out of all the fuck ups in the 20th Century. Communism is the worst by far and killed half of my family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.

Damn, sorry to hear that.

Anyone in your family still over there?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just made them weirder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, we DID nuke them.

Twice.

Just made them weirder.

I blame this for anime.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#45]
The Japanese got a pass on a lot of stuff (Unit 731 for example.) As horrid as the Nazis were, they never ate any of their prisoners.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/war-crimes-wwii-japanese-practised-cannibalism-indian-soldiers-1460601
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I have been reading about WWII, and specifically the Pacific, going on about 35 years now.  I am now getting into books about pre-war Japan, Japan's war and China and Japan on the eve of war.

Two bombs should have been only a start.  Sometimes, a rabid dog has to be put down...hard.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm going to have to read that book.  I've read "Fly Boys" and there was some fucked up shit that those fuckers did.

My Grandpa who just turned 90 served on the USS San Diego.  It was the second most decorated US ship of WWII.  18 battle stars and was the first warship to enter Tokyo Bay.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Japan got a pass because General MAcArthur didn't want to deal with a Guerilla War.

The Emperor, the top command staff, the IJA, and IJN are all dirty with blood of the innocent.

View Quote

They got a pass because they surrendered to us and we didn't have to deal with a communist North Japan.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.

Had a Grand Uncle die of starvation in 1998 in a Havana Jail. Still have an Grand Aunt and some cousins.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
They got a pass because they surrendered to us and we didn't have to deal with a communist North Japan.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I know we wanted to beat the Soviets to Japan. Especially after they rushed into Manchuria and routed the IJA there.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top