Page / 3
Posted: 9/23/2014 8:41:39 AM EDT
This beer is good!

That is all.

I need to try the Dunkel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The Dunkel is Awesome.

Franzikaner also makes an outstanding Dunkel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
This
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
ja, können Sie darauf wetten .... Weihenstephaner nicht über eine schlechte Bier zu machen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it is.

The dunkel is also excellent, but my favorite is their Korbinian doppelbock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This
View Quote

Your avatar is very fitting for this thread

German beer is the best
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Please tell me you don't drink it out of the bottle, right?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
+1  This is one of my absolute favorite beers.  They claim to be the oldest brewery.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried it for the first time last weekend.  You are correct!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I typically pour it in a glass.  Pour out 3/4 of it, stir the bottle to reincorporate what has settled to the bottom, then pour the rest.  If I do drink it from the bottle I spend some time rotating the bottle to stir in what has settled to the bottom before I open it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This beer is good!

http://thebeercafe.com/images/Weihenstephaner%20Hefe.png

That is all.

I need to try the Dunkel.
View Quote

Most Germans that don't live in Dusseldorf think that Dunkel is "Dirty River Water".  I tend to agree but am not German.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suppose you could, but OP needs to get a beer stein to properly enjoy it. I have a couple from my years in Germany.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I typically pour it in a glass.  Pour out 3/4 of it, stir the bottle to reincorporate what has settled to the bottom, then pour the rest.  If I do drink it from the bottle I spend some time rotating the bottle to stir in what has settled to the bottom before I open it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice.  Most people don't know the proper way.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I suppose you could, but OP needs to get a beer stein to properly enjoy it. I have a couple from my years in Germany.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A beer stein would be great to have but until I get one I drink it from a glass like this.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A beer stein would be great to have but until I get one I drink it from a glass like this.

http://i.c-b.co/is/image/Crate/WheatBeerGlass24ozAVF12/$web_zoom$&/1308302308/spiegelau-wheat-beer-glass.jpg?hei=302&wid=300
View Quote

That'll work... for now.

If you find you like dunkels, Ayinger makes a good one too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taking it out of one glass vessel and putting it in another glass vessel somehow changes the flavor?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Taking it our of one glass vessel and putting it in another glass vessel somehow changes the flavor?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taking it our of one glass vessel and putting it in another glass vessel somehow changes the flavor?

Phillistine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let them have their rituals.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try just pouring it straight from the bottle then look at the bottom of the empty bottle.  It won't be empty.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Taking it out of one glass vessel and putting it in another glass vessel somehow changes the flavor?

View Quote

Wine for sure changes flavor when you decant it.  The air causes oxidation changes.    

Some beer reacts similar.  The act of pouring stimulates the CO2 to be released forming the head.  At the same time air also enters the beer.  The traditional pour technique of hefeweizen causes both.  

I prefer it in a glass but will drink from the bottle if there are none available.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, yes it is.  And yes, yes you do.

Their yeast is also my go-to for brewing weissbier.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taste is primarily based upon your sense of smell.  You don't get much of that out of a bottle, whereas a glass promotes head formation, which releases volatile molecules, and it has a larger opening.

So yes, it absolutely does.

ETA: If you think it's some kind of witchcraft, try this.  Pour yourself a decent beer into a glass.  Then, hold your nose and take a sip.  Release your nose and take another sip.  If you can't tell a massive difference, it's time to cut down on that 2 pack a day habit.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Try their Vitus.   Mmm Mmm good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#25]
The Dunkel is delicious
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#26]
It's absolutely my favorite beer
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Taste is primarily based upon your sense of smell.  You don't get much of that out of a bottle, whereas a glass promotes head formation, which releases volatile molecules, and it has a larger opening.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: If you think it's some kind of witchcraft, try this.  Pour yourself a decent beer into a glass.  Then, hold your nose and take a sip.  Release your nose and take another sip.  If you can't tell a massive difference, it's time to cut down on that 2 pack a day habit.

As I take a drink, I'm not breathing in through my nose.  Therefore, the only source of flavor is from the beer in my mouth.  And if you think you can taste a difference, then try this:  Take the beer that you poured from one glass container and pour it into a glass.  Now take that second glass container and pour it into yet another glass container.  Will you taste a big difference or does the magic only happen once?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#28]
That stuff is awesome...I love all their different kinds, but the hefe is my favorite.  You know to pour half the bottle, lay the bottle on its side and roll it a little (slowly!), and then pour the rest right?  That's the only way to get all the flavor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my hands on some of these a few weeks ago.  Also sehr gut!

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only ARF could make drinking beer this much fucking work...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Reporting in from Oktoberfest in Munich ya'll!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pouring a beverage into a glass is not work.  

Spending 30 seconds understanding why you might want to do so is hardly an onerous task either.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Bought the sampler pack at costco, sorry to say ....HATED IT, and i like german/wheat beers.

Never got how they put bananas in the beer
Do bananas grow in Germany ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Bought the sampler pack at costco, sorry to say ....HATED IT, and i like german/wheat beers.

View Quote
Are you serious?

The clove and banana notes are characteristic of the yeast used to brew the style.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Finally, a thread about decent beer.  Weistephaner is my go-to "light" beer.  Good choice OP.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#37]
jawohl.

Weihenstephaner makes great beers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Very good wheat beer, but my favorites are Franziskaner and Maisel's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It is a good one.  I prefer Hacker Pschorr over all of them, but it's really hard to find locally.  
View Quote
My local store carries it and it is also quite good. I'll be back in Germany next month.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My local store carries it and it is also quite good. I'll be back in Germany next month.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a good one.  I prefer Hacker Pschorr over all of them, but it's really hard to find locally.  

Try to get a Tegernseer Hofbräu Hell when you get back over here. Thank me later.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Sehr gut ja.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#42]
It's a damn good beer, I usually drink Aventinus or a Paulaner but I drink those every now and then.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Excellent beer.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the bottom of every hefe weiss is a layer of yeast.  The yeast must be stirred up and poured in with the rest of the beer inside of a  glass.  

So yes, it changes the flavor.

Thus endeth the lesson

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I tried some of that at Epcot this past weekend during the food and wine festival............excellent beer

Quoted:
Got my hands on some of these a few weeks ago.  Also sehr gut!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3436/3207801290_f7882d5b09.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Dunkel is Awesome.

Franzikaner also makes an outstanding Dunkel.
View Quote

+1

The Erdinger Dunkel is very good as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thus endeth the lesson

View Quote

Thy speaketh the truth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

At the bottom of every hefe weiss is a layer of yeast.  The yeast must be stirred up and poured in with the rest of the beer inside of a  glass.    

View Quote

So yes, it changes the flavor.

Thus endeth the lesson

So just swirling it has the same effect right?

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You think there is actual bananas in it?
Stick to your bud light.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#50]
beer is great
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top