Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that where Laverne and Shirley worked?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So yes, it changes the flavor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At the bottom of every hefe weiss is a layer of yeast.  The yeast must be stirred up and poured in with the rest of the beer inside of a  glass.    

Thus endeth the lesson

So just swirling it has the same effect right?

You can attempt to swirl a full beer.  It won't work too well for you

Just watch the video  He did a decent job but i leave it least an ounce in the glass to help collect the yeast.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Had another German alternative this past weekend at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati.

Erdinger Oktoberfest Weißbier
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Love me a great  German wheat beer!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you serious?  

The clove and banana notes are characteristic of the yeast used to brew the style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought the sampler pack at costco, sorry to say ....HATED IT, and i like german/wheat beers.

Never got how they put bananas in the beer
Do bananas grow in Germany ?
Are you serious?  

The clove and banana notes are characteristic of the yeast used to brew the style.

More technically, the smells and tastes of said Bananas and cloves come from esters as a by product of yeast converting sugar to alcohol. Zee Germans perfected brewing around 1500 using decot mashing with shitty, hard to work with malts. Yeast was natual but had to be cultivated correctly, brewing commercial beer was a very complex and important event in history.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the bottom of every hefe weiss is a layer of yeast.  The yeast must be stirred up and poured in with the rest of the beer inside of a  glass.    

Thus endeth the lesson

Just watch the video  He did a decent job but i leave it least an ounce in the glass to help collect the yeast.

I'm also curious about getting it from a keg.  Do they dump the keg out and add the yeast from the bottom of the keg to each glass?

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Weihenstephaner is excellent, you should also try Ayinger.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
More technically, the smells and tastes of said Bananas and cloves come from esters as a by product of yeast converting sugar to alcohol. Zee Germans perfected brewing around 1500 using decot mashing with shitty, hard to work with malts. Yeast was natual but had to be cultivated correctly, brewing commercial beer was a very complex and important event in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bought the sampler pack at costco, sorry to say ....HATED IT, and i like german/wheat beers.

Are you serious?  

The banana smell is from an ester, isoamyl acetate.  The clove compound is not an ester, it's a phenol, 4-vinyl guaiacol.  

One of the tricks in brewing a good weiss is balancing those two compounds.  You can get more of both by increasing the fermentation temperature, and you can increase the 4-VG by doing a ferrulic acid rest in your mash, or playing various tricks with the yeast.  Fermenting at higher temps will produce strawberry esters, which combined with with the banana esters actually smells like bubblegum.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thus endeth the lesson
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thus endeth the lesson

I'm also curious about getting it from a keg.  Do they dump the keg out and add the yeast from the bottom of the keg to each glass?

There is sufficient yeast in suspension in the beer in the keg.  If you ever get the first pour off a weiss keg that has been sitting for too long, it will be basically be an opaque glass of yeast and you should send it back.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

There is sufficient yeast in suspension in the beer in the keg.  If you ever get the first pour off a weiss keg that has been sitting for too long, it will be basically be an opaque glass of yeast and you should send it back.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So is the density of the beer in the keg different than the density of the beer  in the bottle?  A bottle is of sufficient diameter to negative surface tension effects that might affect suspended particles.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So is the density of the beer in the keg different than the density of the beer  in the bottle?  A bottle is of sufficient diameter to negative surface tension effects that might affect suspended particles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The kegs are probably force-carbed before kegging, while the bottles have fresh wort added and are allowed to condition in the bottle.  They're treated differently, and mostly it's just that the bottles spend more time on a shelf somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had another German alternative this past weekend at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati.

Erdinger Oktoberfest Weißbier
<a href="http://imgur.com/3ESoNQo" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/3ESoNQol.jpg</a>
View Quote

Plastic cup.... Really?

I live 7mls from the Ayinger Brewery, so any visiting ARFCOMMER is welcome to do a brewery tour with me. I know people that know some people...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The Dunkel is Awesome.
Franzikaner also makes an outstanding Dunkel.
View Quote
I use Franzikaner Dunkel for ghost chile mustard. It's really good.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Franzikaner and Paulaner

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Spaten Oktoberfest
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The kegs are probably force-carbed before kegging, while the bottles have fresh wort added and are allowed to condition in the bottle.  They're treated differently, and mostly it's just that the bottles spend more time on a shelf somewhere.  
View Quote
I love how the answers (guesses really) get more convoluted as we go.   The fact is that you can not tell the difference between a drink of beer from a bottle or a glass.  Originally it was the volatile molecules that mattered and now it's the mysterious suspended or non-suspended yeast.   There are those that argue that the shape of the glass matters as well.  It's pretentious crap.  You can say things like that's how it's traditionally served etc.  But that doesn't matter either.  you see "traditionally the monks brewed their beer in small batches using crap like wooden tubs.  Now, however, Weihenstephaner just like all major breweries use giant stainless tanks and automated equipment the monks could not have even have imagined.  It makes for a nice story to talk about tradition but it just isn't based on facts or science.

I like beer, you like beer.  That's good enough for me.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I love how the answers (guesses really) get more convoluted as we go.   The fact is that you can not tell the difference between a drink of beer from a bottle or a glass.  Originally it was the volatile molecules that mattered and now it's the mysterious suspended or non-suspended yeast.   There are those that argue that the shape of the glass matters as well.  It's pretentious crap.  You can say things like that's how it's traditionally served etc.  But that doesn't matter either.  you see "traditionally the monks brewed their beer in small batches using crap like wooden tubs.  Now, however, Weihenstephaner just like all major breweries use giant stainless tanks and automated equipment the monks could not have even have imagined.  It makes for a nice story to talk about tradition but it just isn't based on facts or science.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're conflating two issues that were addressed in two different lines of inquiry; the viscosity and flavor of the yeast, which is peculiar to certain weiss beers, and the question of volatile organics, which matter to all beers, and indeed all beverages and all food.  You can refuse to understand the basics of taste perception all you want; that doesn't change the relevant chemistry and biology.

You also seem to be conflating the brewing vessel versus the serving vessel, which is a non sequitor.  Furthermore, if you think that the historical beers brewed and aged in wood tasted the same as modern beers, you're simply wrong.  That's one reason why barrel-aging is currently en vogue in the American craft beer industry; the beers taste different.  Even the shape of the fermentor matters; that's why the modern Weheinstephener weissbeir you mention is brewed in squat, open vats, as opposed to the sealed conical fermentors popular with American craft breweries.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very good wheat beer, but my favorites are Franziskaner and Maisel's.
View Quote

I like Franziskahner as well.  I got this one time because they didn't have the Franz cold at the time.  I think I like this a little better but both are good.  Tried drinking a Blue Moon shortly after and no longer cared for the taste.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thus endeth the lesson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHq86UfK5Ic

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus endeth the lesson

I had wondered this as well.  We have a local shop that will sell the Weihenstephaner in a growler, but I wondered about the settling if purchased in this fashion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had wondered this as well.  We have a local shop that will sell the Weihenstephaner in a growler, but I wondered about the settling if purchased in this fashion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thus endeth the lesson

It would go stale and flat before the yeast settled.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I like this stuff. Always seems to knock my dick in the dirt
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]
thought the title said something about someone eating a hampster...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Weihenstephaner Oktoberfest is another good one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#24]
My favorite bier, period.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not a fan of German beers in general but it's one of the best, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Reporting in from Oktoberfest in Munich ya'll!!

View Quote

We need pictures of the frauleins.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Shit, now I have to go to the bier store.

Be back soon y'all.

TXL

Ok, just got back.

Picked up a 6 of Harpoon UFO  Hefe.
Paulaner Hefe.

Hofbrau original,  and a 4 pack of Guinness.

Plus a 1/5th of Jameson Gonna be a good weekend.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is a good one.  I prefer Hacker Pschorr over all of them, but it's really hard to find locally.  
View Quote

Good beer!

Hacker-Pschorr-Dunkle from my kegerator.

p.s. Yes I know, "Best served at room temperature". This picture was a joke poking fun at that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Good beer!

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=64970

p.s. Yes I know, "Best served at room temperature". This picture was a joke poking fun at that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a good one.  I prefer Hacker Pschorr over all of them, but it's really hard to find locally.  

Good beer!

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=64970

Based on the glass, I thought it might be a Leffe.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I found a bottle hiding at the back of the fridge and opened it with dinner.  I need to buy more.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Last night, at the Hofbräuhaus München....

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2nrzg5y.jpg
View Quote

All hail the helles lager!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Sir!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got my hands on some of these a few weeks ago.  Also sehr gut!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3436/3207801290_f7882d5b09.jpg
View Quote

I think this was the first German beer I bought at Shipton Kaserne's shopette.  Oh the memories.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This beer is good!

http://thebeercafe.com/images/Weihenstephaner%20Hefe.png

That is all.

I need to try the Dunkel.
View Quote

Very good beer, but the Dunkel is even better. It's probably my favorite beer on earth, but I buy Paulaner more often, because it's cheaper here than Weihenstephaner, and still damn good.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, around here, even most of the corner bars have it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
One of the original six. Needs more sausage and beer wench.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sausage was pretty big....

Beer wench was nice, didn't snap a pic because SO was present.
She looked something like this, after 4 or 5 liters...

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

So are you saying it sits in the bottles for a long time before I get it off of the shelf?  They all have settling in them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So are you saying it sits in the bottles for a long time before I get it off of the shelf?  They all have settling in them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No the yeast settles to the bottom of the bottle in bottle conditioned beer. It doesn't mean it's old.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Growlers are only good for a couple of days after filling, regardless of what beer you put in them.  Bottle conditioned beers are kept a few weeks at the brewery to make sure they carbonate, before they're even shipped out.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Growlers are only good for a couple of days after filling, regardless of what beer you put in them.  Bottle conditioned beers are kept a few weeks at the brewery to make sure they carbonate, before they're even shipped out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case, at the rate I drink it, I'd better stick wth getting it in the bottles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If that's the case, at the rate I drink it, I'd better stick wth getting it in the bottles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know what a growler is?  

It's just a glass jug that is filled directly from taps, so as to allow you to take home beer from a bar or tap room.  They're fine, as long as you drink the beer quickly.  They're mostly popular with small breweries that don't sell off-premise or only keg beer, no bottles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You're conflating two issues that were addressed in two different lines of inquiry; the viscosity and flavor of the yeast, which is peculiar to certain weiss beers, and the question of volatile organics, which matter to all beers, and indeed all beverages and all food.  You can refuse to understand the basics of taste perception all you want; that doesn't change the relevant chemistry and biology.  

You also seem to be conflating the brewing vessel versus the serving vessel, which is a non sequitor.  Furthermore, if you think that the historical beers brewed and aged in wood tasted the same as modern beers, you're simply wrong.  That's one reason why barrel-aging is currently en vogue in the American craft beer industry; the beers taste different.  Even the shape of the fermentor matters; that's why the modern Weheinstephener weissbeir you mention is brewed in squat, open vats, as opposed to the sealed conical fermentors popular with American craft breweries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason why Weiss beer glasses are shaped the way they are, and why you mix the sediment in the bottle before the final pour.  

The low waist on the Weissen glass allow the sediment to resettle at the bottom of the glass and not remix during drinking.  The lower part of the glass holds the sediment.  If you want to drink it at the end, go ahead.  Or swirl the last few drinks and mix it in.

Almost every kind of German beer has it's own special container to drink from and there is a reason for each and every one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#45]

I used to have Weihenstephaner Pilsner delivered by the crate in Bad Tölz.  The Korbinian doppelbock is the bride's favorite.

Hefen (Hefe oder Weissbier or Hefe Weissbier) is shit.  Wheat beer?  Really?  The Reinheitsgebot says beer has barley malt, water and hops - Barbarians put fucking trash like rice. corn and wheat in their beer so their women will like it (true story - brewers added rice and corn to American beer to increase sales to women).

Rules that have been around since 1487 were made for a reason.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I used to have Weihenstephaner Pilsner delivered by the crate in Bad Tölz.  The Korbinian doppelbock is the bride's favorite.

View Quote

Hefen (Hefe oder Weissbier or Hefe Weissbier) is shit.  Wheat beer?  Really?  The Reinheitsgebot says beer has barley malt, water and hops - Barbarians put fucking trash like rice. corn and wheat in their beer so their women will like it (true story - brewers added rice and corn to American bear to increase sales to women).

You do realize that that reason is the  Reinheitsgebot was designed to give a very profitable ducal monopoly over the brewing of wheat beer, while simultaneously preventing the population from using all the wheat and rye to make beer instead of bread?  That monopoly was retained until public tastes changed, sales flagged and the monopoly was sold to a brewer named Schneider.  

So all your hand-wringing gustatorial superiority is actually over a five century old feudal money grab.

"The more you know"

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Hefen (Hefe oder Weissbier or Hefe Weissbier) is shit.  Wheat beer?  Really?  The Reinheitsgebot says beer has barley malt, water and hops - Barbarians put fucking trash like rice. corn and wheat in their beer so their women will like it (true story - brewers added rice and corn to American bear to increase sales to women).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You do realize that that reason is the  Reinheitsgebot was designed to give a very profitable ducal monopoly over the brewing of wheat beer, while simultaneously preventing the population from using all the wheat and rye to make beer instead of bread?  That monopoly was retained until public tastes changed, sales flagged and the monopoly was sold to a brewer named Schneider.  

So all your hand-wringing gustatorial superiority is actually over a five century old feudal money grab.

"The more you know"

Wheat is for bread.  Rye for hallucinations and witch trials.  Barley for beer.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#48]
You've made a convincing argument.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

There is a reason why Weiss beer glasses are shaped the way they are, and why you mix the sediment in the bottle before the final pour.  

The low waist on the Weissen glass allow the sediment to resettle at the bottom of the glass and not remix during drinking.  The lower part of the glass holds the sediment.  If you want to drink it at the end, go ahead.  Or swirl the last few drinks and mix it in.

Almost every kind of German beer has it's own special container to drink from and there is a reason for each and every one.
View Quote
And it doesn't matter one bit.  If you think it does, here is a taste test that I propose:

Buy a six pack of  Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Acquire three glass tasting spoons

The brew master from Weihenstephaner pours one into whatever special glass you want.

I pour one into a coffee mug

Justin Bieber pours one into an 18th century porcelain bed pan.

You get to taste each blindfolded

Do you seriously believe you could repeatedly distinguish one from the other?  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The banana smell is from an ester, isoamyl acetate.  The clove compound is not an ester, it's a phenol, 4-vinyl guaiacol.  

One of the tricks in brewing a good weiss is balancing those two compounds.  You can get more of both by increasing the fermentation temperature, and you can increase the 4-VG by doing a ferrulic acid rest in your mash, or playing various tricks with the yeast.  Fermenting at higher temps will produce strawberry esters, which combined with with the banana esters actually smells like bubblegum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you serious?  

I’ve had Konig at the town restaurant before visiting the castle. Good stuff. Very pronounced banana and clove sent and flavors.

My favorites are Marzens. Spaten Oktoberfest followed by Paulner Oktoberfest and HB Bock. Prosit!

Page / 3
Top Top