Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:29:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Exactly
Of course those heavy bombers need tanking or a friendly base to operate from.

B-1 with cluster bombs FTw!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And your statements come from your base knowledge of:

1. Military Pilot
2. Military Aircraft Maintainer
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?
Eta: low

1. Military Pilot
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer

I just learned over the weekend neither Mil pilots, or Mil air maintainers are the end all of aviation knowledge!

So I wouldn't put too much trust in 1 & 2!!

And 3 & 4 are really knowledgable in their prospective fields, but don't fair very well outside that envelope!!

Is it better to know
a little about a lot?
Or
A lot about a little?

I've been vexed by that problem for years!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just learned over the weekend neither Mil pilots, or Mil air maintainers are the end all of aviation knowledge!

And 3 & 4 are really knowledgable in their prospective fields, but don't fair very well outside that envelope!!

Is it better to know
a little about a lot?
Or
A lot about a little?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only redeeming factor is it's low speed maneuverability.....in a clean configuration.....under 10,000 feet. The F/A-18 is a glorified bomb truck that criminally replaced the greatest carrier based interceptor in history.  Also, McDonnell Douglas can suck a dick for playing the generation game with Lockheed. Not one model or variant of the F/A-18 can break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight. Boeing crapped themselves when they designed the wing as well. It relies on way to much induced downwash, and drags like no other.  Thoughts?

1. Military Pilot
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer

Is it better to know
a little about a lot?
Or
A lot about a little?

Wait wut? the pilots and maintainers know more as the day to day end user. What are you talking about? Is my sarcasm meter broken?

For example, in the 60's the engineers that designed the 727 said it couldn't  sustain inverted flight. My dad was a 727 captain for national then pan am. Anyway, a senior captain with national, WWII pilot, flew one if their 727-100's from Miami to Jacksonville, inverted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Precision weapons are cool - but with our current adversaries, we need bomb trucks.
Large payloads.
And loiter time.
View Quote

no on the former, yes on the latter.

you are working against an inherently decentralized enemy.  masses of ordanance are a very small % of the requirement.

where is the video of like a dozen MK 84s being dropped on one mud hut when you need it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

you are working against an inherently decentralized enemy.  masses of ordanance are a very small % of the requirement.

where is the video of like a dozen MK 84s being dropped on one mud hut when you need it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Precision weapons are cool - but with our current adversaries, we need bomb trucks.
Large payloads.
And loiter time.

I support the morale boosting properties of that gratuitous display of firepower if it did in fact happen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The A-7 was an excellent bomb dropper and could also give some fighters a problem in the low speed spectrum. You would be surprised how maneuverable the A-6 Intruder was. They did not have supersonic speed, but they could reach out farther than the Hornet series.

There was an idea back in the early 80's to refurbish the Oriskany and Hornet to add more carriers to the fleet. A-7's and A-4's were to be a part of that plan. I can imagine that they would have been modified to handle F/A-18's at some point had they stayed in service. Loved Reagan's idea.

My nephew was with VFA-102 when they transitioned to Foxtrots. He went to Japan and did 3 cruises on the Kitty Hawk. We talked aircraft and he said the Aviators would brag about their "kills" against Okinawa based f-15s.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever is ultimately derived from the X-47B will end up being your A-6E replacement. It will carry a couple of 2,000 pounders internally, be very stealthy and likely have a range of 1500 miles or greater. That will take the US Navy into a whole new realm of capability.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Eta: When I said, "...break the sound barrier under 10,000' in level flight" I meant, given a normal combat armament and fuel.
View Quote

Choke yourself 14er
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice to have lots or relatively small, precise weapons in case someone needs them.  Also, see my comments earlier in the thread re:  importance of bringback capability.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's an old, but sadly dieing, tradition in the Ozarks called gulling.

Some people will believe about anything if it is presented with authority.  But anyone that believes that story has never flow sustained inverted flight, let alone in an airplane without a good harness for acro.

But it makes a good story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Military Pilot
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer

Is it better to know
a little about a lot?
Or
A lot about a little?

Wait wut? the pilots and maintainers know more as the day to day end user. What are you talking about? Is my sarcasm meter broken?

For example, in the 60's the engineers that designed the 727 said it couldn't  sustain inverted flight. My dad was a 727 captain for national then pan am. Anyway, a senior captain with national, WWII pilot, flew one if their 727-100's from Miami to Jacksonville, inverted.

Some people will believe about anything if it is presented with authority.  But anyone that believes that story has never flow sustained inverted flight, let alone in an airplane without a good harness for acro.

Yup.  I'm 99.9% sure it didn't happen.   You shouldn't repeat the story in the presence of other aviation professionals.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Large payloads.
And loiter time.

You don't have to drop the entire load at once.
Drop, move to next target, drop, move to next target, lather, rinse, repeat.
If you come upon a large concentration drop more.
Large payloads give you options and scalability plus they reduce the transit delay proceeding to and from the area.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Large payloads give you options and scalability plus they reduce the transit delay proceeding to and from the area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Large payloads.
And loiter time.

There just aren't going to be that many targets for very long.

You are developing a very expensive capability for 1% of your missions.  But you will pay the bill for 100% of the missions.
Independent strike against pre-determined targets?
Drones and cruise missiles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Military Pilot
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer

Is it better to know
a little about a lot?
Or
A lot about a little?

Now you broke my sarcasm meter.

I doubt many fighter aircraft could do that.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Currently in production in the form of the EA-18G Growler, the FA-18 Hornet represents a stable design but handicapped by inherent restrictions associated with its original function as a replacement for the short-range, light-attack A-7 Crusader II and A-4 Skyhawk that retired from carrier decks early in the 1990s.
View Quote

From an article on F/A-XX
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are developing a very expensive capability for 1% of your missions.  But you will pay the bill for 100% of the missions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Large payloads.
And loiter time.

I'm developing the capability for my primary mission area, to look cool at air shows.

My Staff time has me always thinking of Doomsday planning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#18]
DID ANY ONE TELL SPECIAL ED OP THAT THE STRIKES INTO SYRIA WERE DONE BY WHAT PLANE FROM A CARRIER OH THATS RIGHT THE F-18.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
DID ANY ONE TELL SPECIAL ED OP THAT THE STRIKES INTO SYRIA WERE DONE BY WHAT PLANE FROM A CARRIER OH THATS RIGHT THE F-18.

View Quote

to be fair that wasn't his point....

they are a great airframe
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

How does that contradict the OP's first post, that the Hornet is a glorified bomb truck?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Large payloads.
And loiter time.

Drones, sure. Cruise missiles bring their own set of issues. Nice to have, but using them can be tricky. Not that fixed wing support is everything it's cracked up to be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The A-7 was an excellent bomb dropper and could also give some fighters a problem in the low speed spectrum. You would be surprised how maneuverable the A-6 Intruder was. They did not have supersonic speed, but they could reach out farther than the Hornet series.
There was an idea back in the early 80's to refurbish the Oriskany and Hornet to add more carriers to the fleet. A-7's and A-4's were to be a part of that plan. I can imagine that they would have been modified to handle F/A-18's at some point had they stayed in service. Loved Reagan's idea.
My nephew was with VFA-102 when they transitioned to Foxtrots. He went to Japan and did 3 cruises on the Kitty Hawk. We talked aircraft and he said the Aviators would brag about their "kills" against Okinawa based f-15s.
View Quote

Both the A-6 and the A-7 were piles of shit.
Squadrons needed 12 of those piles of shit in order to keep 6 of them in an FMC or PMC status.
They needed twice as many maintainers to keep the piles of shit in the air.
At the end of their life (not the design life) they both had wing issues that kept them from carrying full bomb loads and kept them from operating as an effective bomber.
Ever change the engine on an A-6 of en F-18?
Two guys could have an engine out and in an F-18 in a couple of hours.
In a couple of hours two guys on an A-6 might have the engine bay doors removed and the maybe the generators.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We've got a member who is a former SLUF driver and he'd disagree with that.........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The A-7F would have kicked ass.
Sadly, Vought is located in the wrong congressional district.

The A-7 was a pile of shit.
The A-7F would have been a supersonic pile of shit.  

We've got a member who is a former SLUF driver and he'd disagree with that.........

I am a former A-7 maintainer and I can tell you that it was a large steaming pile of shit.
Wings cracking, UHT's cracking, fucking goofy mainmounts, never stop leaking extention units, hydraulic lines burried behind sealed bulkheads, craptastic wheel bearing design, I can go on and on.
Speed limited, G limited, ordnance limited, it was junk.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I still think the F-14 was the sexiest off the teen series fighters..
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta disagree.  F-14 got all the Hollywood press, but the F-15 is just a freaking sexy airplane.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Won't matter:  Boeing Faces a Future Without Fighter Jets

Read the comments from Chadwick.  I'll be nice and characterize that as an inartful shot across the bow of the Pentagon and Congress.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Currently in production in the form of the EA-18G Growler, the FA-18 Hornet represents a stable design but handicapped by inherent restrictions associated with its original function as a replacement for the short-range, light-attack A-7 Crusader II and A-4 Skyhawk that retired from carrier decks early in the 1990s.

Won't matter:  Boeing Faces a Future Without Fighter Jets

Read the comments from Chadwick.  I'll be nice and characterize that as an inartful shot across the bow of the Pentagon and Congress.

That's screwed up. Boeing actually delivers a fighter on time and under budget. Lockheed is perpetual vaporware. I could sort of understand some countries electing to purchase the Euro planes over the F-18, but going with the F-35? Maybe they'll be in service by 2050.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think I know what the author is trying to say, but that's just a very poor way of wording it.

There was a spec.  The F-18 and F-18E/F meet the specs.  Perhaps it's arguable that the spec wasn't challenging enough - fair enough.  But, a more challenging specification for range, airspeed, etc, just means more engineering, development, testing, higher costs, delays, and so forth.

F-18s work.  Sure, F-18s to refuel F-18s is cringe-worthy. But, you know what?  It works.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am a former A-7 maintainer and I can tell you that it was a large steaming pile of shit.
Wings cracking, UHT's cracking, fucking goofy mainmounts, never stop leaking extention units, hydraulic lines burried behind sealed bulkheads, craptastic wheel bearing design, I can go on and on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The A-7F would have kicked ass.
Sadly, Vought is located in the wrong congressional district.

The A-7 was a pile of shit.
The A-7F would have been a supersonic pile of shit.  

Now just because you Navy boys had a hard time maintaining the A-7, does not mean it was a bad aircraft. Our unit maintained an average 90% FMC rate on our A-7D's. And they were a good fighter in a pinch. At the summer 1982 Red Flag, our A-7D's shot down 6 aggressors without loss. It torqued off the aggressor pilots so bad, that they changed the rules of engagement so the A-7D units had to basically just fly in a straight line at a set course/speed, so as not to hurt their feelings so much. There were no speed/G/or load limits under what was spelled out in the flight manual.

Now maybe salt water and carrier landings caused problems to accumulate on the A-7E, but the A-7D was a good performer. It was retired prematurely by the USAF/ANG.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sigh. This thread is still here.
View Quote

For the record, I tried to generate some fresh banter with a seemingly bold statement about inverted flight, or the impossibility of.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
]
Drones, sure. Cruise missiles bring their own set of issues. Nice to have, but using them can be tricky. Not that fixed wing support is everything it's cracked up to be.
View Quote

This is nothing to do with "air support"
this is monkey stomping fixed targets in an impotent display of conventional airpower.

aka what we are doing now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Gotta disagree.  F-14 got all the Hollywood press, but the F-15 is just a freaking sexy airplane.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/F-15,_71st_Fighter_Squadron,_in_flight.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/F-15,_71st_Fighter_Squadron,_in_flight.JPG

Air Force One and Harrison Ford disagree that the F-14 got all the Hollywood action
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Military Pilot
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer

Is it better to know
a little about a lot?
Or
A lot about a little?

pretty sure the fuel pumps would cavitate, resulting in flameout
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Air Force One and Harrison Ford disagree that the F-14 got all the Hollywood action
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They came by the ramp here at Nellis while my squadron was here TDY from Spangdahlem AB, and recorded jet noise for the audio track.  That's the sound of our birds in the movie.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do so love that airframe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They came by the ramp here at Nellis while my squadron was here TDY from Spangdahlem AB, and recorded jet noise for the audio track.  That's the sound of our birds in the movie.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loved the 15s in full AB flying in formation with AF1.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss the "build up" of sound as they came from the distance on full mil power and then buzzing right over our place in FL.  Also, watching them RTB in 2 ship formations and the subsequent approach was great too.

15 is a legend.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Never mind
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
F/A-18's redeeming attribute is being able to fly twice a day, 7 days a week for weeks on end. F-14 was never that reliable and was lucky to fly 3-4 times a week.
View Quote

"Ability" has everything to do with the people maintaining the aircraft.

Actually doing that would mean you have shitty flying practices.

ETA: I'm late to the party, it would seem...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
the return of cmjohnson?
View Quote

Did he go to the great PC flight simulator in the sky?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never mind
View Quote

To be fair, it was a Marine Hornet that downed an alien fighter in the mid-90s Will Smith documentary, Independence Day...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the return of cmjohnson?

No, just banned camp.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

To be fair, it was a Marine Hornet that downed an alien fighter in the mid-90s Will Smith documentary, Independence Day...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never mind

Actually, the initial kill would be classified as a Maneuvering Kill, or at worst a CFIT.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I miss the "build up" of sound as they came from the distance on full mil power and then buzzing right over our place in FL.  Also, watching them RTB in 2 ship formations and the subsequent approach was great too.

15 is a legend.
View Quote

I miss watching them from here.  

That is a pic that I took of the last operational F-15 leaving Tyndall AFB on 21 Sep 2010.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Now just because you Navy boys had a hard time maintaining the A-7, does not mean it was a bad aircraft. Our unit maintained an average 90% FMC rate on our A-7D's. And they were a good fighter in a pinch. At the summer 1982 Red Flag, our A-7D's shot down 6 aggressors without loss. It torqued off the aggressor pilots so bad, that they changed the rules of engagement so the A-7D units had to basically just fly in a straight line at a set course/speed, so as not to hurt their feelings so much. There were no speed/G/or load limits under what was spelled out in the flight manual.
Now maybe salt water and carrier landings caused problems to accumulate on the A-7E, but the A-7D was a good performer. It was retired prematurely by the USAF/ANG.
View Quote

Your A-7's suffered the same fate as did the Navy A-7E's.
I know your high time A-7D's were just as prone to wing cracking and G limitations when they reached the same flight hours as the Navy A-7E's.
I saw the message traffic that came from the USAF on issues that concerned both aircraft.
Most of your A-7's never reached the same flight hours and they were NEVER operated like a Navy A-7 was (carrier based operations).

I'll give the active duty and reserve / guard maintainers all the credit in the world with the upkeep on your aircraft across the board.
The Navy and Marines will never be able to reach that type of maintenance due to our maintenance structure and deployment schedule.

The only aircraft in the Navy inventory that's maintained in any fashion like a USAF aircraft is the Navy's E-6B and it shows.

I can tell you that to a man every Navy A-7 pilot I knew jumped from the A-7 platform at their first chance to get into the cockpit of an F-18.  
Only the guys with a dead end career or who were forced to stay stayed with the A-7 to the end.

I am pretty sure USAF pilots jumped at the chance to get into the cockpit of the F-16 when they had the opportunity (unless they were a guard bum who didn't want to leave a specific geographic area).

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8094/img0263v.jpg

That is a pic that I took of the last operational F-15 leaving Tyndall AFB on 21 Sep 2010.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

15 is a legend.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8094/img0263v.jpg

Our last 15 left June 09.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Military Pilot
3. Aircraft Designer
4. Aircraft Manufacturer

Is it better to know
a little about a lot?
Or
A lot about a little?

You guys are kind of acting like the OP. My dad has over 30,000 hours and doesn't go along with BS stories and will tell it like it is, no matter who's feelings get hurt. I just called to confirm the story. The chief pilot at the time, also his best friend flew it and a chief check engineer. He said any of you are welcome to call him if you'd like and he'll tell you everything you'd like to know about that flight and how it is possible with the 727. PM me and you're welcome to have his cell number. Also, the flight was between Miami and Ft Myers. The inverted part was 15-20 min long. That part, I had wrong. Believe what you want though, but you are sounding a lot like someone we know in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the return of cmjohnson?

Yes.

It was another one of his "Kill all the muslims." comments that did it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JBski ():
It was another one of his "Kill all the muslims." comments that did it.
View Quote

Whoa.

Guess I missed that fiasco - this is the first I've heard of it

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#50]
So, since OP is hiding from this as well as the Pit thread, but poasting in some other random thread, let's take the oportunity to take a dump on everything OP loves and holds dear, like his degree in Aeronautical Engineering.

OH WAIT, HE DOESN'T HAVE ONE
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top