BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Charge him for reckless homicide or whatever else you'd charge him with if he'd been driving a car.
View Quote
Yep.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What I've seen in NYC (My Birthplace whoop-de-doo), is adults acting like spoiled children when they get on a bicycle.

A motorcyclist has a license plate on his ass, makes noise that annoys the fuck out of people and makes the rider look like a spoiled childalerts pedestrians, and most obey the rules of the road!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I suppose applying the brakes was out of the question for the Cyclist.
View Quote

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that slowing down would have hurt his time, so instead, kill a ped was the better alternative.

Can't mess up your personal best, doncha know.

Nick

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that slowing down would have hurt his time, so instead, kill a ped was the better alternative.

Nick

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

He didn't kill her.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Like a LE UoF thread this one exposes those that lack critical thinking skills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIT: Butthurt cyclists exposed.

Yup.

Like a LE UoF thread this one exposes those that lack critical thinking skills.

Nah; these threads expose the butthurt bicyclists who honestly believe their shit doesn't stink.

They also highlight their arrogance as well as their callous disregard for others.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He didn't kill her.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nick

He didn't kill her.....
want to bet?

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Fucking car drivers...

Oh wait...this isn't a Lance Armstrong wannabe thread...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The guy on the bike sounds like a self centered asshole...can't put my finger on exactly why. Just does.
View Quote
typical behavior, everything revolves around them and them 'getting in their ride'; fuck everything and/or everybody that gets in their way

my surprised face -=>>
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He could have braked, dumped the bike or gone around her instead of yelling "get out the the way....get  out the the way"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed limit for bikes is 25mph in the park.  Combined with not yielding to pedestrians, I'd agree in charging him same as if he were driving a car.

He could have braked, dumped the bike or gone around her instead of yelling "get out the the way....get  out the the way"
all of this

I promise there will be a traffic citation or charges, such as :too high speed for conditions
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ban banana seat riding spandex wearing homofags
View Quote
this quote seems more fitting: " So why would someone riding a bike with aerobars--specifically designed to ride in a straight line with your head down--expect a more favorable outcome?"

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How far apart were the cyclist and pedestrian when the rider yelled?  Did the rider have enough distance to stop?  He may have been braking and yelling simultaneously...................
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"yelled for her to get out of the way"?

Hang the bastard piece of shit.

How far apart were the cyclist and pedestrian when the rider yelled?  Did the rider have enough distance to stop?  He may have been braking and yelling simultaneously...................
from the cyclist blog: So why would someone riding a bike with aerobars--specifically designed to ride in a straight line with your head down--expect a more favorable outcome?"

There are no brake handles that I see
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
from the cyclist blog: So why would someone riding a bike with aerobars--specifically designed to ride in a straight line with your head down--expect a more favorable outcome?"

View Quote

Brakes on a racing bicycle are not some big clunky thing
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130710153907/cardfight/images/f/fd/Godzilla-facepalm.png

Brakes on a racing bicycle are not some big clunky thing
to clarify: on the aerobars

edit: also this:

you will note that these achievements have a date
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1668090_.html&page=1

The article in the other thread says he was timing his runs with a gps and uploading them to some racing website
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA - If the dude was too busy setting a new Strava segment record and slingshotting past cars then it's his ass deservedly so.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1668090_.html&page=1

The article in the other thread says he was timing his runs with a gps and uploading them to some racing website

Strava is a site that allows cyclists to see how each other do on "segments" (stretches of road) that anyone can upload or create.  So say I have a favorite 2 mile stretch that is part of my regular ride I can designate it and the gps or smartphone tracks my time on that segment and uploads it.  ANyone else in my area can see my time and compare it to theirs.  Everyone gets an email when someone breaks the course record so it encourages competition.

The problem is that you end up getting a bunch of non-racers who wish they were racers pretending to be racers on non-closed courses.  Strava recently banned downhill segments because tards were getting killed by using gravity to far exceed their abilities or common sense.  In one case a former national champ had established a record time that a bunch of recreational riders then tried to match killing one rider when he hit a car and a pedestrian when a different rider in a different incident hit them.

70 mph is doable on some hills and way outside the abilities of anyone but the very skilled racer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

edit: also this:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ckui6XKr0us/VBw4xRV1eII/AAAAAAAA3cM/y-2Q2bq8fk8/s1600/strava.jpeg

View Quote

Correct that aero bars have no brake levers as they are intended to be used on long wide open stretches.  They're actually banned in your typical group race situation and only allowed in Triathlons and time trials for just that reason.  They make handling and braking difficult and are unsafe in tight or busy situations.

The more I read about the cyclist the more it becomes obvious this guy is the worst kind of cyclist who chases "records" that no one who actually races cares about and (in his case) are in heavy traffic areas.

ETA - Hauling ass on a bike lane with family & casual riders then swerving into traffic to avoid pedestrians is stupid and deserving of whatever the law throws at him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks!

Now it looks like he's squeezing four 1/2"X 2 1/2" rubber pads against rims while he's 200 pounds going 20 miles an hour?
View Quote

Nah the braking area on a road bike pad is 1/4" x 2" each (a whopping one square inch for each wheel).  The good news is that the brakes are powerful enough to put you over the handlebars unless you know what you're doing and can safely control the bike at interstate highway speeds.  The tires skid way before the brakes run out of power.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
By comparison, motorists killed more than 65 pedestrians in NYC in 2014, including more than one on a sidewalk.

http://project.wnyc.org/traffic-deaths/#128-charity-hicks
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
By comparison, motorists killed more than 65 pedestrians in NYC in 2014, including more than one on a sidewalk.

http://project.wnyc.org/traffic-deaths/#128-charity-hicks
View Quote

You take your fucking statistics somewhere else pal.  There's a cyclist that needs hating and Arfcom will not be denied!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bingo. A $4,000 racing bike probably comes equipped with brakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guy on the bike sounds like a self centered asshole...can't put my finger on exactly why. Just does.

First clue NYC, second clue bicycle.
Plus if he had enough time to yell at her to get out of the crosswalk, he had enough time to slow down.  

Bingo. A $4,000 racing bike probably comes equipped with brakes.

Brakes?....no way dude. These are Tufo Elite Pulse bicycle road tires ($150 a piece)....no way I'm gonna put a flat spot brakin' on those babies. (<--probably what he was thinking at the time and why he was yelling)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Someone is about to get raped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS

That cyclist is going to be the hobby of an entire law firm for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#21]
A lot of arrogant cyclists near me, yelling and acting like they own the world.
And I know there are some cool people who cycle, the asshats ruin it for everybody.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]

he had brake levers on the drops and on the aero tucks
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think much like feminists, we just want them to pick. Either you want me to treat you like a woman or you want me to treat you like an "equal", and you're not going to like me when I start treating you like a man.

Same with the bikes. Either be a vehicle and act accordingly, or be a pedestrian and act accordingly.
This special treatment bullshit of wanting to have it whatever way is most convenient at the moment is for the birds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The irony of responses in this thread and the three feet rule thread is palpable

"Ride on the sidewalk! "" Vehicular manslaughter! "

I think much like feminists, we just want them to pick. Either you want me to treat you like a woman or you want me to treat you like an "equal", and you're not going to like me when I start treating you like a man.

Same with the bikes. Either be a vehicle and act accordingly, or be a pedestrian and act accordingly.
This special treatment bullshit of wanting to have it whatever way is most convenient at the moment is for the birds.

This is the most legitimate gripe I've seen in this thread.

And just to stir the pot:
When I was riding at the University, I came to a Tee intersection with 3 stopsigns.  I stopped for the stopsign.  The traffic cop I hadn't seen said to me, "whydja stop for the stop sign and then walk your bike at the crosswalk?"  with a big shit eating grin on his face.   Rampant Lawlessness.  I guess I'm a rebel.

He was expecting me to breeze through the stopsign, because zero traffic?  Maybe State Police operate in some exalted, godlike traffic regime.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.googlepixel.com/images/jasonmarshall.jpg

View Quote

Too bad he didn't use them to slow down rather than to try to shout the victim out of his way.

If, as now appears to be the case considering the conditions where he was riding,  he was cycling too fast to accomplish that; too bad for that as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That cyclist is going to be the hobby of an entire law firm for the rest of his life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS

I hope he winds up with some cellmates who love him tenderly and often.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

typical behavior, everything revolves around them and them 'getting in their ride'; fuck everything and/or everybody that gets in their way

my surprised face -=>>

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

my surprised face -=>>

The Rapha gear is a tip off.

I'm guessing he didn't get charged because he had the light.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A lot of arrogant cyclists near me, yelling and acting like they own the world.
And I know there are some cool people who cycle, the asshats ruin it for everybody.
View Quote

4' rattan walking stick prolly pokes neatly in between their spokes.

Or, you could brace one end of the stick on the ground, and receive them like a medieval cavalry charge.

Or, us bicyclists could ride friendly.  Yeah, I know, that would be too extreme, and so is out of the question.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#29]

See, now that is a $4000 assault bike. The steel Jamis in the story is a $1500 bike your grandfather would own.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Average speed of 14.8mph. He's time trialing at 100 watts and thinks he's hot stuff.

"I don't always wear $200 jerseys, but when I do, I dial it up to 105 and run over old ladies."

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I didn't know just anyone could drive a car through Central Park on the walkways

Oh. Bikes are only the same as cars when it's convenient
View Quote
If you ride on the road you should be required to have liability insurance.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I was willing to wait for the popo to determine who had the light.

But the article said he swerved to avoid a group of pedestrians and hit  Tarlov. I am going to guess he was at fault.

charge him as if he was in a car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Average speed of 14.8mph. He's time trialing at 100 watts and thinks he's hot stuff.
View Quote

There's a reason the Strava "racer" stereotype exists.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Y'all educate me.

I had bicycles as a child, no helmets in my day.

Driven various motorcycles with or without helmets, depending upon which State I was in.

ALWAYS had "Situational Awareness".

Where is this guy's mind at this moment?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Y'all educate me.

Driven various motorcycles with or without helmets, depending upon which State I was in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Y'all educate me.

looking at a patch about 9 feet in front of him while time trialing against his clocks and thinking that a more aerodynamic placement of a 200 dollar waterbottle might make him more efficient

he is in a timetrial in a triathlon so he is targetlocked on a closed course, but they still need to be aware of the terrain

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What I've seen in NYC (My Birthplace whoop-de-doo), is adults acting like spoiled children when they get on a bicycle.

A motorcyclist has a license plate on his ass, makes noise that alerts pedestrians, and most obey the rules of the road!
View Quote

LOLOLOLOL you obviously haven't been on the road near NYC any time recently.  Lane splitting, wheelies, and generally riding like an asshole are so common you'd think it's legal here.  

eta: based on what I've seen about this story so far, I agree 100% with the bsnyc post from a couple pages ago:  Whether or not he was legally liable, it sounds like the guy was riding like a jackass.  Several other cyclists in this thread have agreed with this sentiment.  But let's not let all that get in the way of some good old arfcom "dey terk er roads.  all cyclists are libtard asshole fags" bloviating.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone who frequents the NYC area is well acquainted with the asshole cyclist syndrome.
Now, stopping on a bike is a hassle, you have to downshift through the gears before coming to a stop and balance on your clip in shoes, which are slippery and awkward.
But being a special snowflake does not exempt you from the rules of the road.
I would equate this to asshole skiers who are going for a speed record on the slopes and hit another skier.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Alley Cat/TDF-wannabe bullshit does not belong around pedestrians. I see that kind of behavior when riding my  bike commute (all trail so foad). It's particularly bad in the areas where there are tight twisty curves, where these assholes try to pass on blind curves in a ped-rich environment.  

Urban cyclists, hipsters, gearfags, and trigeeks in particular are the worst offenders.

I hope they crucify this guy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://www.googlepixel.com/images/jasonmarshall.jpg

View Quote

Those are most likely shifters on the aero bars.  Brakes are on the drops.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't know just anyone could drive a car through Central Park on the walkways

Oh. Bikes are only the same as cars when it's convenient

Don't really have a problem with this but I'm not sure it would be cost effective for anybody but the insurance companies.  What about liability insurance for Rascal riding seniors or pedestrians that do stupid shit and injure other people or property?

When I was 13 y/o I ran into the back of a parked pickup while riding my new 12 speed road bike (fairly high end production model for 1983) - wadded up the fork and I ended up in the ER for mulitple stiches under my nose and in my mouth (I was reaching down for a water bottle, stem caught me right under my nose).  There was zero damage to the trucks bumper.  My point?  In general - bicycles/riders really don't do damage and more than likely can pay out of pocket to fix the damage they might cause.  Of course there are exceptions.

And given how well regulated/enforced mandatory automobile insurance is handled do you really think bicycle riders are going to be worrying about the legal repercussions?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ban assault bikes for the children.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#42]
NYC Central Park website says pedestrians have ROW at all times.  Not sure if that's a citable offense or not.  Website also says cyclists can enjoy a leisurely ride or a good training ride (implying higher speeds IMO).

Bottom line IMO:  The way bicycles and pedestrians are mixed in Central Park sounds like a recipe for disaster - just like the Beach bike path in Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Beach in SoCal.  the bike path in Venice Beach is a f'ing disaster - you're better off riding the surface streets with the marked bike lane.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I say "Bring back velodromes"
View Quote

NYC has one in Kissena Park.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They ticket bikes in NYC all the time because they speed, disobey traffic signals, ride in the wrong lane, and hurt a lot of pedestrians who don't see them riding silently at such high speeds in the improper lane where the pedestrians don't expect to see them.
View Quote

Riding on the sidewalk is the ticket that's written the most IME.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#45]

That's the final straw....ban shopping for children.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They ticket bikes in NYC all the time because they speed, disobey traffic signals, ride in the wrong lane, and hurt a lot of pedestrians who don't see them riding silently at such high speeds in the improper lane where the pedestrians don't expect to see them.

But in the other thread the GD experts say bicycles belong on the sidewalk
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#47]
She's dead Jim

A 59-year-old woman who was being kept alive by a ventilator after she was plowed down by a speed-demon bicyclist in a Central Park crosswalk has died, her family said Monday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe Jason will play at her funeral

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#49]
A very unfortunate situation.

Quoted:
That's an interesting twist to the usual narrative.
View Quote

I noticed that TWICE they mention the lady being the wife of some network guy.
I don't recall others getting that kind of detail.

"The lady, a wife of a husband, was ........ "
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder if she was texting and not paying attention?
View Quote

I would consider this a generally valid comment but pedestrians have the right of way.  It's up to drivers/riders to watch out for them.

Sure, pedestrians have responsibility, but if you're just standing in place in the 'right' area ....

Yeah, personally, I would be heads up in that situation.  I have some familiarity with Manhattan.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top