User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With a mechanicl fuel pump there is no electrical components to make it run. With a snorkel you can run them underwater! Not to mention they are EMP proof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure why some of you are so fascinated with diesel engines.
Are they like the V twins of trucks or something?

I mean I dig the high compression ratio also but diesels also have plenty of cons.

With a mechanicl fuel pump there is no electrical components to make it run. With a snorkel you can run them underwater! Not to mention they are EMP proof.

Why not just buy one of these and be done with it? Deuce down the river!  Fuel pump is electric but is only needed when/if  you get air into the fuel system.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a used Mercedes 3.0L V6 diesel OM462 and put that in there.....They were used in the 2007 to 2008 Grand Cherokees.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

See my posts here for the trailer. I have the 4.0 and find it lacking in keeping any speed on hills onroad.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625343_Off_road_Trailer_Build_thread__It_s_ALIVE_pg_3_.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
this is completely a tag. I'd love to have a deisel in my 2000 TJ, for the trailer pulling power.

Don't do it man.

A Wrangler's short wheel base, combined with how light they are... I've nearly gotten myself into some bad situations with my little i4. Torque is not the limiting factor there :)

See my posts here for the trailer. I have the 4.0 and find it lacking in keeping any speed on hills onroad.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625343_Off_road_Trailer_Build_thread__It_s_ALIVE_pg_3_.html

That's a whole other issue then! I was thinking of the stupid shit I've done in my Wrangler, not pulling a custom-built single axle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why not just buy one of these and be done with it? Deuce down the river!  Fuel pump is electric but is only needed when/if  you get air into the fuel system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure why some of you are so fascinated with diesel engines.
Are they like the V twins of trucks or something?

I mean I dig the high compression ratio also but diesels also have plenty of cons.

That looks fun, but it's a little much for a daily driver. I don't think it would fit in the parking deck at work. I certainly wouldn't be able to squeeze between the pillars in the motorcycle spots when it's full.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no personal experience but I'm told most 4BT swaps end for sale within the 1st year due to all the clatter.

Why not a 6BT swap? I'm told it's more civilized.

Because the back of the engine would end up about where the shifter is.
And the oil pan would drag on the ground.

Nick

6BT Cummins Jeep Link

Good luck ordering a burger at a drive-through with that.

/still want
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think you're crazy. Actually, you're thinking like jeep engineers should.
A 4bt in a wrangler would be just titties!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
It's too bad Mazda doesn't sell the Skyactiv-D as a crate engine.  It would make for a perfect small SUV/truck/Jeep swap.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Does throwing a turbo on a 4.0 make any sense at all? How hard is it to do?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
you really got me thinking.
I did find this link.

Jeep boards will be great for this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-diesel-engine-swap-need-advice-experts-636338/
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:03:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does throwing a turbo on a 4.0 make any sense at all? How hard is it to do?
View Quote

2500.00 you bolt on 45% more power.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the "idea" of a diesel swapped jeep, but it has been proven to be impractical for most people. You may very well be one of the few that has the tenacity and motivation to get it done though, so I don't want to completely discourage you.

I have only driven one 4-banger TJ. While it was fun and peppy in town, it was a dog on the highway. I found it impossible to maintain 70mph in 6th gear. This was with stock height and tires. I have driven multiple 6cyl jeeps and always felt that they had decent power in all situations. Fuel economy is similar between the two.
You are talking about doing a diesel swap for power, fuel economy, reliability/cost of ownership and I'm sure the "cool factor" plays a part as well. So lets break those points down and see what sort of gains for the buck you are getting.
1. Power-
Depending on which diesel you go with, it could be the equivalent of a warm V8, or slightly less power than your current engine. How important is this to you? Do you have to have a ton of torque, or would you be happy with something in the middle?
2. Fuel economy-
What are you averaging now? Most diesel swaps I've seen are close to 25mpg. This is probably 8-10mpg better than your current set up. Sounds great, until you figure in the added cost of diesel and the total cost of the swap. It may take ten years to pay for itself.
3. Reliability/Cost of ownership-
By all accounts, stock TJs are pretty reliable. They are also easy to work on and any mechanic should be able to diagnose a problem with it. Parts are readily available and fairly cheap.
A diesel may be a simple engine, but how many mechanics in your area would you trust to work on whatever weird hybrid you create? You also need to take into account the cost of replacement parts, how expensive are they compared to jeep stuff? Diesels also require a bit more preventive maintenance than your typical gas engine. Fuel filters, and extra oil capacity add up.
4. Cool factor-
Diesel wins this one

In summary, sell your jeep and by a TJ (or preferably an LJ) Rubicon. It will get similar fuel economy to your current Jeep, have more torque, cost the same as the diesel swap and still be pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I think a turbo 2.4 is a better idea. Didn't Dodge hop those things up to 300hp in the Neons?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
InexpensiveSolution built  turbo 2.4
           or
Import a salvaged running diesel 4X4 pickup From Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico . Transfer your rust free jeep body on running diesel truck chassis

could work!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2016 Wrangler will offer an oil burner.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2016-jeep-wrangler-to-get-diesel-engine.html
"240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque."

View Quote

If you mean a diesel Wrangler for the N.A. market: bullshit it will.

FCA barely has enough capacity at VM Motori to make enough diesels for the RAM 1500 and Grand Cherokee.

They are already shorting production of the Grand Cherokee in order to keep up with demand for the RAM 1500 diesel.

The '16 Wranger will assuredly NOT be getting a diesel exacly one year before the '17 redesign.

FCA already sells every Wrangler it can make. They will NOT be spending any coin to certify a diesel in the N.A. Wrangler for one years worth of production.

That Edmund's article is 18 months old. It was bullshit back then as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I read a thread several months ago ('99 TJ Swap Thread) where a guy swapped a Kubota diesel engine into his TJ. In the end he had it working out fine, but don't expect to be flying down the interstate at 80 mph. Then, I read that the VM Motori diesel was a factory option in the Dodge Ram as well as the Grand Cherokee for 2014. I asked if I could order my Rubicon with one and they said no way, so I ended up with the V6. I would expect those to be easy swaps that become popular in the coming years. Of course there is also the rumor that in 2016 it will be a factory option for the Wrangler so I might end up wishing I had held onto my junker a bit longer!

The Hemi swaps are popular, and I believe they still are getting decent mileage out of them, that interests me and is an option I am considering for when my engine decides to die many years from now. However, if I could have any engine I wanted in my Jeep, it would definitely be a 353 Detroit Diesel. Best sound on Earth.

http://youtu.be/xXoZRe9cuZA
View Quote

That's the most pathetic thing I have seen in many a day. A Stock KIA could do better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think a turbo 2.4 is a better idea. Didn't Dodge hop those things up to 300hp in the Neons?
View Quote

Yup, got one in my driveway.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I found it impossible to maintain 70mph in 6th gear.
View Quote

Tell that to the cop that wrote me for doing 88 MPH in North Carolina in a 4 banger TJ.  It was 20 over so I had to appear.  I still to this day refuse to accept that my Jeep could have reached that speed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tell that to the cop that wrote me for doing 88 MPH in North Carolina in a 4 banger TJ.  It was 20 over so I had to appear.  I still to this day refuse to accept that my Jeep could have reached that speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found it impossible to maintain 70mph in 6th gear.

Oh, it would do 80.... Just couldn't hold that speed in overdrive, lol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
If you drive it on the street get supplemental collision & comp coverage.  Insurance will not cover your extra "investment".  to them its a junk truck and you were a fool to do that.

Trust me;  they will give you $500 and tell you to get lost, and if you are lucky they will not call the cops on your butt.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Today I randomly found this video:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Nevermind. Already answered.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Do want, minus the stack exhaust.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's the most pathetic thing I have seen in many a day. A Stock KIA could do better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read a thread several months ago ('99 TJ Swap Thread) where a guy swapped a Kubota diesel engine into his TJ. In the end he had it working out fine, but don't expect to be flying down the interstate at 80 mph. Then, I read that the VM Motori diesel was a factory option in the Dodge Ram as well as the Grand Cherokee for 2014. I asked if I could order my Rubicon with one and they said no way, so I ended up with the V6. I would expect those to be easy swaps that become popular in the coming years. Of course there is also the rumor that in 2016 it will be a factory option for the Wrangler so I might end up wishing I had held onto my junker a bit longer!

The Hemi swaps are popular, and I believe they still are getting decent mileage out of them, that interests me and is an option I am considering for when my engine decides to die many years from now. However, if I could have any engine I wanted in my Jeep, it would definitely be a 353 Detroit Diesel. Best sound on Earth.

Towing a dead full size Chevy pickup up a muddy clay hill? Sure thing, Sparky.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't see he was pulling up another truck.

I retract my statement.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top