Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2014 6:09:54 PM EDT
So, I'm applying to a job for a company that gets top marks on glassdoor.com
Everybody raves about the corporate culture and how great a working environment it is.
But (as the title may have suggested) there's an online personality test which you need to "pass" to be eligible to so much as interview for a job.

I've taken these before, and know what is expected of an "ideal employee".
I lied my ass off, pretended to be somebody I'm not, and passed the test.  Scheduled an interview for tomorrow.
And yet...  this feels unspeakably wrong to me.  My personality is the very essence of what makes me, me.
If I honestly thought I was unsuited to this position, I wouldn't be pursuing it.

Just because I'm wired differently from the person who wrote this hiring policy, I'm forced to kowtow to their idea of an ideal employee.
I find myself wondering if this company is really for me.  I fantasize about changing things from the inside.  I drink another bourbon.
...and then another.

yup.  drinking to excess the evening before a semi-important job interview...  this is sure to end well.

WHAT THINKS THE HIVE!?!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems wrong to me but beta isn't a federally protected class.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You lied.

Is this the job you want?

If you have to lie to get considered do you think it will end well?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
How old are you?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems wrong and right.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This, how soon before the SSDI application?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
dramallama.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You can lie on your application, but then you can't be a neckbeard/brony at work, either.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lulz
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
#JustNeckBeardThings?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How old are you?
View Quote

middle aged.  in retrospect, the emphasis on alcohol may have been a bit exaggerated.  I'm currently on bourbon #4 of the evening, but there are many hours in a night.  Also, I'm working an eight-hour shift at my current job tomorrow before the interview, so indulgence (or overindulgence) is unlikely to be a significant factor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never administered a test that was multiple choice that is leading. My tests ask questions like:

1) If you could pick any kind of dog to be, which would you choose?
2) What was the worst thing about your last job?
3) What is your best trait?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
They are discriminating against anti-introverts? Sounds like a dream company to me. Can I telecommute from the basement?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, as a fellow introvert I feel your frustration. I too am an introvert, and i see these biases too. I tend to base my answers on what the people want to see, even though it isn't always true. The job market is a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You got the interview.

That's where you'll get a better handle on things. Many companies outsource the personality screening, etc. I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Obviously they want only two sorts of employees: extroverts and people smart enough to pretend to be extroverts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
They don't want you, and you don't want them. What's so hard about this?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did you fake your resume too?
View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, given such things are HR boilerplate BS I typically give them no mind. Sometimes you just need to get "in the door" and given most companies are as ethical as a drug dealer any more, that's a two-way street. Don't get me wrong, HR is a necessary evil for most places but is mostly interested in finding a candidate with the bess social fit, not necessarily the best qualified.

I remember a previous employer that required an in depth HR interview prior to an interview for the job. All of it was quasi illegal questioning about personality, background, social classification and how I viewed being a 'Corporate citizen.' Pretty much lost all interests in the job at that point because it became clear the place, (less than a 1000 employees,) was a good 'ol boy place looking for yes men. Stupid me still took the job after the interview and generous offer; after 3 mos I knew I should have trusted my gut. Place was unethical as hell and practiced, ahem, questionable business practices and encouraged their employees to lie to vendors. I made it a year and a half before I hit my wall and left.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]

If they want the person you are not why not let them have him, why give false impressions to get a job from someone who is looking for something you're not?  

Yeah you need a job but already you're complaining how they are sticking it to you by requiring you be something that you're not.

They made efforts to find the perfect employee for their needs and you have already worked against the prosective employers disired outcome by lying.

They don't owe you a job or anything else and they sure as shit are not responsible for your decison to answer your test question dishonestly.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
How do you know what a passing grade is on that test?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

don't confuse things.  I don't like people, but I GET WHAT'S MINE.  there's no beta in my game... it's just quiet and calculated.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#23]
My job had a similar "test". I failed the test, but was still hired due to the huge need for qualified people. Two years later, and I have surged well ahead of all of my peers. Take the job if it is one that you want, and do your thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm an introvert by nature.

Suck it up and fake it if that's what is called for.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#25]
The use of personality tests that are biased against introverts is a result of HR people being bitter over the fact that more introverted roles (like engineering) make way-more money than HR.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Meh, you go to work and you write code, or drive a truck, or fix fenders; and you put on the personality they like for 8 hours. It's just part of the job, hang it at the door on your way out each day and be yourself. Do you think those overly friendly car salesmen are really like that away from work?

I question your dedication to your introvertedness (hehe), seems you would have not even applied and certainly not tried so hard to get the job.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

don't confuse things.  I don't like people, but I GET WHAT'S MINE.  there's no beta in my game... it's just quiet and calculated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds betaish to me.

Some careers aren't made for your kind
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You probably don't have a single damn wolf on your shirt right now

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Introvert =/= beta

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't applied for a job in like 20 years, so I can only imagine how absolutely stupid the process is now. I can imagine how annoying that test is though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#31]
In before the inevitable discovery of familiarity.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Wait, are they testing your personality, or your ability to act on demand?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting.  For most jobs, there are thousands of people who either a) can do the job or b) can be trained to do the job.  Personality is far more important than technical skills, particularly since you tend to spend 8+ hours a day with your co-workers.  It seems like these types of questions are completely relevant and fair.  No one wants to spends all day working next to an anti-social outcast. Anti-social employees can be a drain on the productivity of the entire organization.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]
How dare a company model their hiring policy based on what they feel are important qualities.  They should rewrite all their practices around every person that interviews!

The personality test is just to see if you know what the ideal answers are.  In the interview is where you are honest about your personality and you will either shine or it will sink you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep drinking
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting.  For most jobs, there are thousands of people who either a) can do the job or b) can be trained to do the job.  Personality is far more important than technical skills, particularly since you tend to spend 8+ hours a day with your co-workers.  It seems like these types of questions are completely relevant and fair.  No one wants to spends all day working next to an anti-social outcast. Anti-social employees can be a drain on the productivity of the entire organization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This bit from the What your boss probably wants you to know thread seems pretty relevant to your point.

1. Your Attitude Matters Almost as Much as Your Work
You might think that if you do great work, that’s all that matters—but attitude and interpersonal skills can matter a great deal. Healthy organizations have low tolerance for difficult personalities, in part because managing a team can be exhausting, and it gets significantly harder when a team member is resistant to feedback, difficult to work with, or just plain unpleasant.
If you complain frequently, regularly shoot down ideas, or act like the office prima donna, your boss probably considers you a pain to deal with, even if she never says so. That could result in you getting less interesting work assignments, less flexibility, lower raises, and a higher chance of ending up at the top of the list if cuts ever need to be made—yes, even if your work product is stellar. To be clear, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak up if you disagree or are unhappy. Good managers value input. But if you find yourself resisting more projects than you embrace or if you get feedback that you’re coming across as negative or combative rather than constructive, there’s a problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's mis-interpretting introvert for beta.

They aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm an introvert. I'm definitely not a beta.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn... ya got me there lmao
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

What the fuck about being an introvert means that you're beta?

Op: I'd do whatever it takes to get employed at a decent place.  If the machine wants a blue duck, I'll quack and paint myself blue.  I've got school loans to pay off.

Maybe HR forgot to give the execs of the company a personality test to weed out the ones that would create golden parachutes for themselves as they crashed and burned the company.. fk 'em.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Watch and learn.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This bit from the What your boss probably wants you to know thread seems pretty relevant to your point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might think that if you do great work, that’s all that matters—but attitude and interpersonal skills can matter a great deal. Healthy organizations have low tolerance for difficult personalities, in part because managing a team can be exhausting, and it gets significantly harder when a team member is resistant to feedback, difficult to work with, or just plain unpleasant.
If you complain frequently, regularly shoot down ideas, or act like the office prima donna, your boss probably considers you a pain to deal with, even if she never says so. That could result in you getting less interesting work assignments, less flexibility, lower raises, and a higher chance of ending up at the top of the list if cuts ever need to be made—yes, even if your work product is stellar. To be clear, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak up if you disagree or are unhappy. Good managers value input. But if you find yourself resisting more projects than you embrace or if you get feedback that you’re coming across as negative or combative rather than constructive, there’s a problem.

In most cases just bullshitting around and doing the bare minimum will net you the most advancement and money.  Carry on bullshitters
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#42]
If folks in HR were on an intellectual level somewhat above amoebas or attorneys, then I'd say it would be wrong to "game" an evaluation like that.

But HR folks are really the bottom of the barrel when it comes to intelligence. Just one of many examples.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I'm an introvert by nature.

View Quote

Suck it up and fake it if that's what is called for.

Exactly.  This applies to every endeavor in life.

Nobody at work cares about you being you OP.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If folks in HR were on an intellectual level somewhat above amoebas or attorneys, then I'd say it would be wrong to "game" an evaluation like that.

But HR folks are really the bottom of the barrel when it comes to intelligence. Just one of many examples.
View Quote

They're going to make up their own shit in order to pass on certain people.  In that case I don't think that the HR rep was stupid, I think that he/she was purposely choosing a specific way to disqualify the person interviewing for the job.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are all things I've seen for myself over the past few decades and agree with.  I put on the correct mask every day when I walk through the door of my current employer.  I act the part for my 8 hours.  I guess I'm just frustrated with the expectation that I conform to the norms of thought when I have just as much value as others in terms of output.  My opinions are my business.  What I produce for their business should be their primary concern.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Did you fake your resume too?
View Quote

Why should you NOT Fake your Resume'??

Companies consistently misrepresent themselves--What's Good for the Goose, so to Speak!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#47]
At this point you should just roll with it and see how you do.  You may find that the job is something that you like.

Next time don't lie on the form and you won't have to cover for anything.  Just learn from the experience and move on with it.

Stop drinking because tomorrow you'll feel like shit and that will influence how you do at the interview.  Get a good nights sleep, down a glass of warm milk if it will help.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Second post.  Spot on as usual.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#49]
You mean to tell me that being an irritable-moody-loner-basement dweller is not a desirable thing in a corporate culture?  Say it ain't so!!!

Next thing you'll tell me is that bathing is encouraged and maybe even required!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

These are all things I've seen for myself over the past few decades and agree with.  I put on the correct mask every day when I walk through the door of my current employer.  I act the part for my 8 hours.  I guess I'm just frustrated with the expectation that I conform to the norms of thought when I have just as much value as others in terms of output.  My opinions are my business.  What I produce for their business should be their primary concern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How you affect the output of others is arguably more important. If you being difficult to work with decreases overall productivity your individual output is irrelevant.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top