Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 5:31:22 PM EDT
Good info here.   For the TLDR crowd, just read the first line... it may help you!    

8 Things Your Boss Won't Tell You (But Wishes You Knew)

Have you ever noticed that when people are promoted to a management position, their whole perspective on workplaces issues often changes? That’s because, as managers, they see things that they might not have been exposed to as employees. As a result, they view workplace questions through a different lens than the one they used before.
Understanding that shift in perspective can help you get along better with your boss, have more insight into her actions and decisions, and even perform your job better.

1. Your Attitude Matters Almost as Much as Your Work
You might think that if you do great work, that’s all that matters—but attitude and interpersonal skills can matter a great deal. Healthy organizations have low tolerance for difficult personalities, in part because managing a team can be exhausting, and it gets significantly harder when a team member is resistant to feedback, difficult to work with, or just plain unpleasant.
If you complain frequently, regularly shoot down ideas, or act like the office prima donna, your boss probably considers you a pain to deal with, even if she never says so. That could result in you getting less interesting work assignments, less flexibility, lower raises, and a higher chance of ending up at the top of the list if cuts ever need to be made—yes, even if your work product is stellar. To be clear, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak up if you disagree or are unhappy. Good managers value input. But if you find yourself resisting more projects than you embrace or if you get feedback that you’re coming across as negative or combative rather than constructive, there’s a problem. Speaking of which...

2. You can disagree—if You Go About it the Right Way
Good bosses want to hear when you have a different take on a project, or how realistic a deadline is, or the best way to deal with a difficult client—but you need to be emotionally intelligent about how you present your input. In fact, when I’ve heard people complain that their managers don’t welcome dissent or feedback, it’s nearly always been because they’ve been offering that dissent or feedback in the wrong way.
The key is to present your stance calmly and unemotionally—similarly to how you might if you were a consultant observing a situation, rather than like someone with a strong emotional stake in the outcome. Tone is really crucial here; it can be the difference between sounding like a collaborative partner in solving a business problem and sounding like a frustrated adversary. "I’m concerned by the number of errors I’m catching in the other team’s drafts and wonder if we need to give them better guidelines” will go over a lot better than "I’m sick of having to fix Beth’s errors all the time.”
And no matter the issue, you’ll get the best results if you frame the conversation in a way that demonstrates that you understand that in the end, your boss will make the final call—and that you’re willing to go along with it even if it’s different from yours.

---snip --- [edited for conduct code]

8. We Want You to Ask for Help When You Need It
Most managers want to hear when you’re struggling, whether it’s with a particular problem on a project, a difficult client or an overwhelming workload. Don’t hide your problems in the hopes that they won’t be noticed—speak up when you’re struggling and ask for advice. Good managers will welcome it.

Source
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
sage advice
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
9. I don't give a shit what your mom said, you're not fucking special.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
When I quit college, I began my adult career as a temporary/part time laborer in a factory.  I've worked my way (via multiple organizations) through being general labor, to machinist, to tool and die maker, to production supervisor, and am now an operations manager with 130 employees.

I agree with that entire article, except "your boss won't tell you."  I've told many an employee every one of those items, many times.  The best ones understood me.  The good ones heard me.  The ones who didn't listen or understand are generally no longer employed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Should be called "8 things anyone with a little gray matter in their noggin already knows"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Very true if you work in a non-dysfunctional work place. This rings true in Bigger companies more often than smaller ones in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
10.  If you don't work the 'voluntary' overtime you will get a poor review summary even if each item in your review is 'above average'.
Just because I don't like you.

11.  I (manager) get a bonus and you don't.  O and no raises either for the mere pions.
Especially if the company spent $60million on stock buybacks and hundreds of millions on other crap(paying off debt in the lowest interest rate era EVAH).

eta; I am not a manager, just a coder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be called "8 things anyone with a little gray matter in their noggin already knows"
View Quote

To be fair, many employees simply wouldn't believe their supervisor or manager would want them to act in the manner described, because they've had really shitty, incompetent, vehemently moronic, petty, vindictive, impotent, supervisors or managers in the past.

It really depends on the organizational culture.  Is it healthy?  Then those 8 tips will help you rise to the top.  If it isn't, well, practice those so when you get fired/laid off you can find work at a better organization.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the reminder.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
As a manager, most just want you to show up on time do what is asked of you and not piss everyone off...... Come to work with your vagina completely ridden of sand and don't give me any fucking problems and you will get your fucking raise. I am completely floored by how many over 30 men act like fucking schoolgirls at work. Rant End
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As a manager, most just want you to show up on time do what is asked of you and not piss everyone off...... Come to work with your vagina completely ridden of sand and don't give me any fucking problems and you will get your fucking raise. I am completely floored by how many over 30 men act like fucking schoolgirls at work. Rant End
View Quote

I want to work for this guy. No joke. My bosses are ultra emotional psychopaths. This guy has his head on straight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Bosses know things employees don't: Promotions, restructuring, budgets.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]
For the most part, all of that is correct. Trouble is for every single 'good' boss there's a slew of 'bad' ones. Some people I've worked for and worked for me over the years think being a 'manager' is an easier job; well in almost all cases it is not. I tell my people that MY job is to keep the political BS from rolling down to them so sometimes I ask them to do stuff they grumble about; better for me to ask in the end. The level of HR, people management and other 'business' stuff takes a lot of time to sort through, push back and compromise on; my people just have to do the technical stuff.

Also, I don't ask my people to work long hours, weekends, etc unless I'm there mostly too. Have a change at Sunday morning at 2am? Well I'll be there to share in the fun; sucks for me but has bought me a ton of respect from my people. Do I do it all the time? No but I don't have to and that's the key.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ja...check your drama at the door. Keep your emotions and ego out of things and you'll do better in the end.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm glad I work in the field I do. Attitude doesn't matter for shit. Boss/owner will tell you that. Either you can do the work or you can't. We don't do public relations. We have some very lucrative contracts becuase he has accumulated people over the years that can do things nobody else can, many of who have terrible attitudes. Some of them are bad enough he has buit a separate office off to the side so they don't have to mingle with some of the other guys.

But we're a small company and the owner is very hands on. He never ask you to do anything ne wouldn't or couldn't do.

My dad retired from there about 10 years ago. He had a bad attitude so the boss bought him a company truck and use of a company gas card and he was allowed to work at home and drive in to pick up his payceck on Fridays at noon when he could squeeze in a free meal at the same time. When he wasn't busy with their work he was allowed to work on the side.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also, I don't ask my people to work long hours, weekends, etc unless I'm there mostly too. Have a change at Sunday morning at 2am? Well I'll be there to share in the fun; sucks for me but has bought me a ton of respect from my people. Do I do it all the time? No but I don't have to and that's the key.
View Quote

+1  I forgot exactly why two of my senior guys had to come in to do work on a weekend, but when they did, I brought them both a five guys burger and some fries as a 'thank you'.  They were doing a task that I couldn't offer any technical assistance with, but by being there, it bought a lot of respect.  Same when someone sprung a last-minute data center power outage on us on a holiday weekend.  I was there handling things so my folks could spend time with their families.  I am a firm believe in the 'Never ask your employees to do anything you're not willing to do yourself' philosophy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Cut and pasting this for distribution to those on my team. Although I'm their "boss" I have two other levels of bosses above me. Knowing others perspective and working within them to achieve a pleasant, effective working environment is key. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good info here.   For the TLDR crowd, just read the first line... it may help you!    

8 Things Your Boss Won't Tell You (But Wishes You Knew)

Have you ever noticed that when people are promoted to a management position, their whole perspective on workplaces issues often changes? That’s because, as managers, they see things that they might not have been exposed to as employees. As a result, they view workplace questions through a different lens than the one they used before.
Understanding that shift in perspective can help you get along better with your boss, have more insight into her actions and decisions, and even perform your job better.

1. Your Attitude Matters Almost as Much as Your Work
You might think that if you do great work, that’s all that matters—but attitude and interpersonal skills can matter a great deal. Healthy organizations have low tolerance for difficult personalities, in part because managing a team can be exhausting, and it gets significantly harder when a team member is resistant to feedback, difficult to work with, or just plain unpleasant.
If you complain frequently, regularly shoot down ideas, or act like the office prima donna, your boss probably considers you a pain to deal with, even if she never says so. That could result in you getting less interesting work assignments, less flexibility, lower raises, and a higher chance of ending up at the top of the list if cuts ever need to be made—yes, even if your work product is stellar. To be clear, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak up if you disagree or are unhappy. Good managers value input. But if you find yourself resisting more projects than you embrace or if you get feedback that you’re coming across as negative or combative rather than constructive, there’s a problem. Speaking of which...

2. You can disagree—if You Go About it the Right Way
Good bosses want to hear when you have a different take on a project, or how realistic a deadline is, or the best way to deal with a difficult client—but you need to be emotionally intelligent about how you present your input. In fact, when I’ve heard people complain that their managers don’t welcome dissent or feedback, it’s nearly always been because they’ve been offering that dissent or feedback in the wrong way.
The key is to present your stance calmly and unemotionally—similarly to how you might if you were a consultant observing a situation, rather than like someone with a strong emotional stake in the outcome. Tone is really crucial here; it can be the difference between sounding like a collaborative partner in solving a business problem and sounding like a frustrated adversary. "I’m concerned by the number of errors I’m catching in the other team’s drafts and wonder if we need to give them better guidelines” will go over a lot better than "I’m sick of having to fix Beth’s errors all the time.”
And no matter the issue, you’ll get the best results if you frame the conversation in a way that demonstrates that you understand that in the end, your boss will make the final call—and that you’re willing to go along with it even if it’s different from yours.

---snip --- [edited for conduct code]

8. We Want You to Ask for Help When You Need It
Most managers want to hear when you’re struggling, whether it’s with a particular problem on a project, a difficult client or an overwhelming workload. Don’t hide your problems in the hopes that they won’t be noticed—speak up when you’re struggling and ask for advice. Good managers will welcome it.

View Quote

At least give proper attribution.  http://www.dailyworth.com/posts/2743-8-things-your-boss-wishes-you-knew
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

At least give proper attribution.  http://www.dailyworth.com/posts/2743-8-things-your-boss-wishes-you-knew
Thanks - I didn't have it....

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Good advice that every employee needs to read.

Supervising people isn't always easy.  The best and easiest to supervise are those employees that are married and have kids.  These people know how to compromise and understand/accept  that things might not always go their way.  Employees that are married but with no kids are a bit more difficult to handle.  They usually don't understand how to compromise and have difficulty handling change.  The most difficult employees to supervise are those that are getting up there in age and have never been married.  A supervisor is really screwed if this person is an only child.  This employee is convinced that the world revolves around him and constantly rejects authority.  God help you if you hire one of these primo donnas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

10.  If you don't work the 'voluntary' overtime you will get a poor review summary even if each item in your review is 'above average'.

11.  I (manager) get a bonus and you don't.  O and no raises either for the mere pions.

Especially if the company spent $60million on stock buybacks and hundreds of millions on other crap(paying off debt in the lowest interest rate era EVAH).

View Quote

12. All of my economic problems can be solved by screaming at you louder and asking for more work in less time, but still with zero mistakes.  

13. I can fire you at the drop of a hat, but if you even think of taking another job you are a disloyal scumbag.  

14. My job is to make promises to the client without looking at facts.  Your job is to make my promises into reality regardless of the facts.  At no time do facts enter into this equation.  

15. Wanting to take time for family, children, medical problems, or tornado warnings = lazy and disloyal to the company.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

12. All of my economic problems can be solved by screaming at you louder and asking for more work in less time, but still with zero mistakes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

13. I can fire you at the drop of a hat, but if you even think of taking another job you are a disloyal scumbag.  

14. My job is to make promises to the client without looking at facts.  Your job is to make my promises into reality regardless of the facts.  At no time do facts enter into this equation.  

15. Wanting to take time for family, children, medical problems, or tornado warnings = lazy and disloyal to the company.  

Sounds like you work for a shitty company.

So do I.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]

You can be replaced just like that.. I have a stack of resumes on my desk to prove it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you are being cynical, how about "Your role at the company is to produce more than it costs to employ you".  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+1  I forgot exactly why two of my senior guys had to come in to do work on a weekend, but when they did, I brought them both a five guys burger and some fries as a 'thank you'.  They were doing a task that I couldn't offer any technical assistance with, but by being there, it bought a lot of respect.  Same when someone sprung a last-minute data center power outage on us on a holiday weekend.  I was there handling things so my folks could spend time with their families.  I am a firm believe in the 'Never ask your employees to do anything you're not willing to do yourself' philosophy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutly, leading from behind is never a recipie for success. I say a lot, there's a stark difference between leading and managing, leaders get shit done and are remembered. Managers disappear into mediocrity and obscurity.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you work for a shitty company.

So do I.

Current boss is really nice, but all those are from first-hand experience.  Working in law firms generally leaves no shortage of assholes with Napoleon complexes.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
9. I don't give a shit what your mom said, you're not fucking special.
View Quote

how about speshull? I think I work with one of those
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Good list.  Food for thought.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Most managers are in their position not because of this list, but because they sucked some cock or knew someone. As such, they are shit managers and often times contribute to a dysfunctional workplace, and sometimes even cause it.

I've seen so many worthless cock sucking good ole boy "managers" destroy people or workplaces that I seldom give a fuck what they think of me because in the end they just want to suck their way to the top and ensure their bonuses and couldn't care less about the general welfare of their employees. Not always, but usually.

I show up every day, on time, do my job, do it damn well, make the company money, and keep my customers happy. Shut the fuck up, let me do my job, don't fuck with my compensation, don't micromanage me, and don't backdoor condescend to me and we'll all be happy. Perhaps I should make a list for managers?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Reread no 1.

It's says your boss is female.

And she doesn't like you.

Fuck that bitch!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#32]
"Have you ever noticed that when people are promoted to a management
position, their whole perspective on workplaces issues often changes?"
That's because they are sell outs who have crossed the line and joined the enemy. Their sole mission in life is now to fuck you over any way possible so that they can move up one rung on the corporate ladder.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tru'dat!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#34]
most of what i tell you is a lie. i care for myself only and i can always find another employee...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You can be replaced just like that.. I have a stack of resumes on my desk to prove it.
View Quote

Thank God I got the job I finally have now.  It took a year from initial testing (personality inventories...it said I didn't have one).

In talking with a friend who works at the unemployment office, he said easily a third of people are DQ'ed because they have a felony on their record.

Then another third can't pass a piss test.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Absolutly, leading from behind is never a recipie for success. I say a lot, there's a stark difference between leading and managing, leaders get shit done and are remembered. Managers disappear into mediocrity and obscurity.
View Quote

Being a cog in the machine of a large, faceless, defense behemoth does have a few perks.  One of which, is a week back at corporate headquarters for new managers.  As one normally willing to throw the BS flag on mandatory training, I must say that the week I spent back in our little OCS was really eye-opening.  We covered leadership skills, team-building, consensus building, and fiduciary issues.  We are told that resources are managed, but people are led.   It standardized expectations and made sure that all company leaders are on the same page and allowed us to be shown the "big picture."

I firmly believe that many people in the ranks don't lack the ability to 'get' the 'big picture' when it comes to company decision-making and reasoning, they just lack the opportunity and perspective.  To help counter that, I share as much of the reasoning behind a given policy, decision, corporate direction, etc. that I can with my team.  I at least give them the opportunity to see the big picture.  It may not make it any more palatable, but at least they know why something is being done a particular way.  I know that stepping into management really did allow me to gain a different perspective on decision-making.  I'm still down with my guys pulling cable, managing servers, troubleshooting issues, when I have to be, but I trust and depend on my team to take care of business while I position the larger team (ourselves included) to continue down a good path.  

In short, my guys are just as critical to our success as I am.  And, I've found that being a bit flexible with my people with regard to the issues I can be, pays off dividends with loyalty and productivity.  I did literally have a stack of resumes on my desk the last time I had an open position, all the guys on the team know they can be replaced (myself included), but I make sure my guys know that I don't want to replace them.  As a leader, I am trying to do my part to make sure my guys could step into my position and run the department, because if I am irreplaceable, I cannot move up myself.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#37]
17.  I am cutting back on hours this week/month due to a shortage this month and am fighting to get everyone their full hours and maybe some OT. What is really happening is that the more hours I cut the larger my bonus is despite the fact that we dont pay shit to begin with and I am knowingly raiding your paychecks  for my own personal gain.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good advice that every employee needs to read.

Supervising people isn't always easy.  The best and easiest to supervise are those employees that are married and have kids.  These people know how to compromise and understand/accept  that things might not always go their way.  Employees that are married but with no kids are a bit more difficult to handle.  They usually don't understand how to compromise and have difficulty handling change.  The most difficult employees to supervise are those that are getting up there in age and have never been married.  A supervisor is really screwed if this person is an only child.  This employee is convinced that the world revolves around him and constantly rejects authority.  God help you if you hire one of these primo donnas.
View Quote

Exception: "I have to be out the door by 4:00 every day to pick kid up from daycare/babysitter or wife has night job. Or "little Suzy has the sniffles, I have to split and get her from school".

Two of our guys have kids, it always seems like there is something going on kid wise that requires their attention during work hours. Family comes first but it is still challenging at times when they have to take off in the middle of something to deal with their spawn.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#39]
My boss is a dick and the only reason he is allowing me to work here is because he can't do it alone and replacing me would be a pain that he doesn't want to deal with. I can't wait to quit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#40]

meh.

as a guy who has ALWAYS had a managerial role, that is as much "guidelines for employees" as it is a "wishlist for managers".

if folks just came to work, put their heads down, and knocked out product for pennies a day, all organizations would be completely flat and they wouldn't need managers.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Doesn't apply.
I always worked for a him.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
*snip*

Exception: "I have to be out the door by 4:00 every day to pick kid up from daycare/babysitter or wife has night job. Or "little Suzy has the sniffles, I have to split and get her from school".

Two of our guys have kids, it always seems like there is something going on kid wise that requires their attention during work hours. Family comes first but it is still challenging at times when they have to take off in the middle of something to deal with their spawn.
View Quote

i'll never fault a guy for needing to meet family obligations, and i'd walk out the door this afternoon if the owners of my company had a problem with me taking care of family obligations.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Source
View Quote

This wholly depends on "perspective". When someone forgets that they put their pants on the same way another does (referring to attitude) then of course there will be conflicts. The statement in red, the tone makes the whole article shit. That mindset does not make great managers but the worst kind of.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Those all apply to *good* managers - but the advice given can be counterproductive in a toxic environment. Different rules apply.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#45]
good stuff OP
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Being a cog in the machine of a large, faceless, defense behemoth does have a few perks.  One of which, is a week back at corporate headquarters for new managers.  As one normally willing to throw the BS flag on mandatory training, I must say that the week I spent back in our little OCS was really eye-opening.  We covered leadership skills, team-building, consensus building, and fiduciary issues.  We are told that resources are managed, but people are led.   It standardized expectations and made sure that all company leaders are on the same page and allowed us to be shown the "big picture."

I firmly believe that many people in the ranks don't lack the ability to 'get' the 'big picture' when it comes to company decision-making and reasoning, they just lack the opportunity and perspective.  To help counter that, I share as much of the reasoning behind a given policy, decision, corporate direction, etc. that I can with my team.  I at least give them the opportunity to see the big picture.  It may not make it any more palatable, but at least they know why something is being done a particular way.  I know that stepping into management really did allow me to gain a different perspective on decision-making.  I'm still down with my guys pulling cable, managing servers, troubleshooting issues, when I have to be, but I trust and depend on my team to take care of business while I position the larger team (ourselves included) to continue down a good path.  

In short, my guys are just as critical to our success as I am.  And, I've found that being a bit flexible with my people with regard to the issues I can be, pays off dividends with loyalty and productivity.  I did literally have a stack of resumes on my desk the last time I had an open position, all the guys on the team know they can be replaced (myself included), but I make sure my guys know that I don't want to replace them.  As a leader, I am trying to do my part to make sure my guys could step into my position and run the department, because if I am irreplaceable, I cannot move up myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here....here. Always give your people the ability to see the reasons behind a certain decision/direction as it helps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clearly
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

i'll never fault a guy for needing to meet family obligations, and i'd walk out the door this afternoon if the owners of my company had a problem with me taking care of family obligations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*snip*

The people in my "work group" shamelessly put their family first, have a lot of flexibility during work hours, and are resented HEAVILY by those who don't have family obligations, to the point that the workplace is toxic at times.

Coincidentally or not, the people doing the most resenting are among the least productive/respected employees in the group.  Wonder why?

It depends a lot of the job whether this works out for an employer or not, but A LOT of jobs today can be done remotely or lost productivity can easily be made up in off hours.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#49]
I worked in IT for 12 years before finally getting an opportunity to supervise.  Once I seen the way our middle management was ran, I knew I wasn't going to be as successful as I thought.  

Sr manager:  Your review is real good.  I'm sorry, but they capped raises at 1.5% this year.  Since a lot of the guys didn't get the full 1.5, you know who , I was able to get you a full 2%!
Me:  (math in head)

three weeks later:

Sr Manager:  We came in $100k under budget this quarter and I need you to spend the money any way you can!
Me:  How about payroll?
Sr Manager:    Buy things to save us more money next quarter, like equipment and consumables!
Me:  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Here....here. Always give your people the ability to see the reasons behind a certain decision/direction as it helps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's good if it's possible.

Often I have to make decisions and implement policies, processes and constraints due to matters FAR above the pay-grade of the people it affects. Sometimes, as subordinates, it's best to remember that you simply don't have the data to reason out the "why" of a particular decision. It's also important to remember that many, many things that cause decisions to be made the way they have been are simply none of your business.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top