Site Notices
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Valkyries, bitches!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Get busy standing by, or get busy blowing up a death star in a pointless horizontal attack on a vertical shaft. Damned right.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree with you.

You do realize that it was an alternate timeline as to what most trekkies with blinders on take as canon?

Abrams did pretty good with it, IMO.

I'm more worried about Disney being involved that Abrams. Disney is the true "evil empire" in my book.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if one had never seen Start Trek before and knew nothing of them, the storylines and other aspects were absolute garbage.  Absurd is the right word for some of what was shown (such as the portrayal of what is supposed to be a military organization).  It was stupid and one can only hope that he is not taking that approach to Star Wars.  Decent score and good visual effects compared to other space movies and shows in the last ten years, but that's about it.  If all you want is a themed light show, I suppose that is an acceptable way to go about making movies, but if you want an actual story worth a damn, you can't do what he did with Star Trek.

You do realize that it was an alternate timeline as to what most trekkies with blinders on take as canon?

I'm more worried about Disney being involved that Abrams. Disney is the true "evil empire" in my book.

Disney and maybe Chris Nolan are the only ones coming out with stories that don't suck for the past 10yrs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2JjDcNYH7Pc/TQaKXtwIDLI/AAAAAAAAAx4/UDTutLHbQPo/s320/Shawshank+Red.jpg

Get busy standing by, or get busy blowing up a death star in a pointless horizontal attack on a vertical shaft. Damned right.
View Quote

/Thread!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Standing by.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2JjDcNYH7Pc/TQaKXtwIDLI/AAAAAAAAAx4/UDTutLHbQPo/s320/Shawshank+Red.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Red Robin (yum) standing by
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The only ST movie that was worth a damn prior to the reboots was STWOK.

He did right, IMO. The only ones that cannot like the new ones are the die hard Trekkies that cannot wrap their head around the fact that 99% of the movies were suckage as were most seasons of the shows.

Only good ones were Deep Space 9, after the Dominion War started and season 4 of Enterprise. Next Gen had it's moments, but they were few and far between for a show that ran, what 7 years? Let's not mention Voyager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JJ couldn't just be happy jacking with Star Trek, now he's messing with Star Wars.

Next thing, they will cast friggin Ben Affleck as Batman.

Bigfeet

He did an excellent job with Star Trek.

He'll do right by Star Wars.

If Star Trek is going to be the measure of his approach to Star Wars then while the movies might be visually appealing, as stories they're going to suck terribly.  His two Star Trek movies were absurd, even if you'd never watched Star Trek before.

The fighter in the video looks like CGI to me, personally, based on the shadows and the way it looks when the cockpit opens, and also the way it's reflecting the light, but I could be wrong.

The only ST movie that was worth a damn prior to the reboots was STWOK.

He did right, IMO. The only ones that cannot like the new ones are the die hard Trekkies that cannot wrap their head around the fact that 99% of the movies were suckage as were most seasons of the shows.

Only good ones were Deep Space 9, after the Dominion War started and season 4 of Enterprise. Next Gen had it's moments, but they were few and far between for a show that ran, what 7 years? Let's not mention Voyager.

do you have a blog or newletter I can subscribe to?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not talking about the alternate timeline part and the effect on the timeline of the attack at the beginning of the movie would not have been such as to make everything else in the story make sense.  The story was simply stupid.  Don't really care what trekkies think about it one way or the other, I just think the story was stupid and at some points even absurd with the way "Starfleet" operates being one of the better and more obvious examples.  I'm sure if I cared much for continuity with the older movies and series where such continuity would be maintained in an alternate timeline as its nature was portrayed, there would be more to criticize (and knowing the story of Wrath of Khan, which I agree was a good movie even as a stand-alone, I can't help but scoff at the storyline of the second Abrams movie).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if one had never seen Start Trek before and knew nothing of them, the storylines and other aspects were absolute garbage.  Absurd is the right word for some of what was shown (such as the portrayal of what is supposed to be a military organization).  It was stupid and one can only hope that he is not taking that approach to Star Wars.  Decent score and good visual effects compared to other space movies and shows in the last ten years, but that's about it.  If all you want is a themed light show, I suppose that is an acceptable way to go about making movies, but if you want an actual story worth a damn, you can't do what he did with Star Trek.

I'm not talking about the alternate timeline part and the effect on the timeline of the attack at the beginning of the movie would not have been such as to make everything else in the story make sense.  The story was simply stupid.  Don't really care what trekkies think about it one way or the other, I just think the story was stupid and at some points even absurd with the way "Starfleet" operates being one of the better and more obvious examples.  I'm sure if I cared much for continuity with the older movies and series where such continuity would be maintained in an alternate timeline as its nature was portrayed, there would be more to criticize (and knowing the story of Wrath of Khan, which I agree was a good movie even as a stand-alone, I can't help but scoff at the storyline of the second Abrams movie).

The 95% rating on rotten tomatoes, the highest of ALL trek movies, means that nearly all critics and audience members in the world; think your take on it is shit. In fact, that 95% puts it above the vast majority of all movies, not just trek. The fact that you think Starfleet was supposed to have been portrayed as a military organization, is kinda a big tip off as to your "understanding" of what Star Trek is.

You're going to be the the lone voice in the wilderness thinking the Trek reboots were bad.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The 95% rating on rotten tomatoes, the highest of ALL trek movies, means that nearly all critics and audience members in the world; think your take on it is shit. In fact, that 95% puts it above the vast majority of all movies, not just trek. The fact that you think Starfleet was supposed to have been portrayed as a military organization, is kinda a big tip off as to your "understanding" of what Star Trek is.

You're going to be the the lone voice in the wilderness thinking the Trek reboots were bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Popularity does not mean something is good.  There are plenty of crappy movies that have been rather popular.  I don't take much stock in that.  The average person has poor taste to begin with.  I generally look down on the argumentum ad populum.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Rotten Tomatoes isn't a "popularity" website, that would be Box Office return numbers. RT is an aggregate of critical reviews, ei - graded for content/quality of a movie. Clearly, the Trek reboots are your old man with the clouded, pale, blue vulture-like eye.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they were bad as well. But, they were needed to reinvigorate the franchise.
And they were still better than most of the original movies.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rotten Tomatoes isn't a "popularity" website, that would be Box Office return numbers. RT is an aggregate of critical reviews, ei - graded for content/quality of a movie. Clearly, the Trek reboots are your old man with the clouded, pale, blue vulture-like eye.
View Quote

Any critic who thinks that a movie with that many plot holes and other issues deserves thumbs up isn't a critic whose opinion is worth a damn.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I love Star Wars but if you turn off your childhood and watch the movie critically it's really a pretty bad movie.  We just all saw it as kids and to a kid in 1977 it was HOLY SHIT AWESOME!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's really not, I'm there with him along with plenty of other non-diehards. Just because it got a good RT score doesn't mean it was any good in the grand scheme of things, just that it was an enjoyable summer action flick for people that enjoy summer action flicks.

People I talk to are split on it. It was basically Transformers in space, and while I get that a lot of people like those movies they sure as hell aren't anything particularly special. I didn't mind the first Star Trek for what it was, but the second one was absolutely garbage from any standpoint I can see it from. It was written and directed by a three year old.

Non stop two hours straight of bad acting and OH MY GOD THIS IS BAD! (Lens flares, explosions, CGI) NO PROBLEM HERE'S A QUICK SOLUTION IN THE NICK OF TIME! OH MY GOD THIS IS BAD! (Lens flares, explosions, CGI) NO PROBLEM HERE'S A QUICK SOLUTION IN THE NICK OF TIME! OH MY GOD THIS IS BAD! (Lens flares, explosions, CGI) NO PROBLEM HERE'S A QUICK SOLUTION IN THE NICK OF TIME!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No, he's really not, I'm there with him along with plenty of other non-diehards. Just because it got a good RT score doesn't mean it was any good in the grand scheme of things, just that it was an enjoyable summer action flick for people that enjoy summer action flicks.

People I talk to are split on it. It was basically Transformers in space, and while I get that a lot of people like those movies they sure as hell aren't anything particularly special. I didn't mind the first Star Trek for what it was, but the second one was absolutely garbage from any standpoint I can see it from. It was written and directed by a three year old.

Non stop two hours straight of bad acting and OH MY GOD THIS IS BAD! (Lens flares, explosions, CGI) NO PROBLEM HERE'S A QUICK SOLUTION IN THE NICK OF TIME! OH MY GOD THIS IS BAD! (Lens flares, explosions, CGI) NO PROBLEM HERE'S A QUICK SOLUTION IN THE NICK OF TIME! OH MY GOD THIS IS BAD! (Lens flares, explosions, CGI) NO PROBLEM HERE'S A QUICK SOLUTION IN THE NICK OF TIME!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JJ isn't writing the movie.... the fine folks that did Empire Strikes Back are.

JJ is directing the film... which if Disney is smart, will place a limit on his derp.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

JJ is directing the film... which if Disney is smart, will place a limit on his derp.
View Quote

Time will tell. I'm expecting a pile of crap that will still get great ratings, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Time will tell. I'm expecting a pile of crap that will still get great ratings, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disney will insist on adding

A) song sequences

B) stupid characters for the kids

C) no blood

Of course the movie is just a pretext for MASSIVE merchandising. Disney knows it can make 1000x selling the merch that they spend on the movie. Which is why we will seem them pump out starwars movies like transformer movies. Also expect a bunch of animated cartoons.  Hell disney will probably create a starwars theme park and turn all the female characters into princesses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Popularity does not mean something is good.  There are plenty of crappy movies that have been rather popular.  I don't take much stock in that.  The average person has poor taste to begin with.  I generally look down on the argumentum ad populum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your neckbeard is showing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A) song sequences

C) no blood

Of course the movie is just a pretext for MASSIVE merchandising.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A) song sequences

C) no blood

Of course the movie is just a pretext for MASSIVE merchandising.

Did you see the original trilogy? It may have lacked a stupid song (the goddamn special editions made up for that), but it had kids characters (ewoks, I'd probably throw jawas and r2 and c3po in there as well) and the only real blood I remember was when Obi Wan cut dudes arm off in the cantina. There wasn't much blood when Vader cut Luke's arm off in Empire.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Two things.  Don't screw with the Falcon, is Boba Fett going to make an appearance?  This is my child hood that they're messing with, the SW franchise really should attempt to redeem itself after the prequels debacle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A) song sequences

C) no blood

Of course the movie is just a pretext for MASSIVE merchandising. Disney knows it can make 1000x selling the merch that they spend on the movie. Which is why we will seem them pump out starwars movies like transformer movies. Also expect a bunch of animated cartoons.  Hell disney will probably create a starwars theme park and turn all the female characters into princesses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A) song sequences

C) no blood

We'll, Luke's parents are already dead, so Disney has that going for them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two things.  Don't screw with the Falcon, is Boba Fett going to make an appearance?  This is my child hood that they're messing with, the SW franchise really should attempt to redeem itself after the prequels debacle.
View Quote

Boba is still being digested.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't there an EU story line where he escapes?

Regardless, Boba Fett is supposed to get his own movie but I'm not sure where in the time line it takes place.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Looks like they decided to mimic one of the old artist concepts

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/ConceptX-Wing.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWBGrkc360M

View Quote
I derp

Completely nonfunctional in an atmosphere environment but it's dam good looking
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Redlettermedia, standing by.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any critic who thinks that a movie with that many plot holes and other issues deserves thumbs up isn't a critic whose opinion is worth a damn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No true Scotsman. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#29]
They'll probably have Jar Jar flying it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That, Boba Fett not being Mandalore and the way Lucas retconned the Republic Commando series before it was even finished made me decide that I'm not going to see the new movies.

I know that my money ultimately means nothing, but I've spent thousands of dollars on Star Wars stuff over the years and will not give any more now that the things I liked the most didn't happen in the story and are irrelevant.
View Quote

Fett was never Mandalorian, he just used their armor. IIRC, this was mentioned in the novelizations for Ep. 5 & 6, and the EU book "The Mandalorian Armor". Up until the Clone Wars animations, the Mandalorians were supposed to be an ancient race that had been extinct for some time.

Of course, that's all part of the EU too.

I do hope to see Boba Fett's background un-retconned for the new movies. Making him a clone was a horrible decision.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fett was never Mandalorian, he just used their armor. IIRC, this was mentioned in the novelizations for Ep. 5 & 6, and the EU book "The Mandalorian Armor". Up until the Clone Wars animations, the Mandalorians were supposed to be an ancient race that had been extinct for some time.

I do hope to see Boba Fett's background un-retconned for the new movies. Making him a clone was a horrible decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, Boba Fett not being Mandalore and the way Lucas retconned the Republic Commando series before it was even finished made me decide that I'm not going to see the new movies.

I know that my money ultimately means nothing, but I've spent thousands of dollars on Star Wars stuff over the years and will not give any more now that the things I liked the most didn't happen in the story and are irrelevant.

Boba Fett became Mandalore and reunited the Mandalorians. He was referred to as Mandalore in several EU stories, Boba Fett, A Pactical Man being one of them. He was one of, if not the only, non-force user to kill a Vong in hand to hand combat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the characters for the new rebels animated series is supposed to be mandalorian.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Boba Fett became Mandalore and reunited the Mandalorians. He was referred to as Mandalore in several EU stories, Boba Fett, A Practical Man being one of them. He was one of, if not the only, non-force user to kill a Vong in hand to hand combat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boba Fett became Mandalore and reunited the Mandalorians. He was referred to as Mandalore in several EU stories, Boba Fett, A Practical Man being one of them. He was one of, if not the only, non-force user to kill a Vong in hand to hand combat.

Yeah. Mandalore is the title of the leader (sort ot a nominal position at the top of their hierarchy). Its not like he is commanding everything, more like if says this is how its gonna go down, the mandalorians, out of respect, make it go down that way.

And yeah, he kicked Vong ass. Boba Fett, most badass mofo in the galaxy. that includes force users.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, and he got owned by a blind guy with a stick.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here is what I see and how I see it. If so, major failure though I will award minor points for not using CGI.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ailpw8.png

Meh, you might have to zoom it in. But, if too lazy, see below.

1.   That vertical line?? There will be no wing splitting from that line to the fuselage.

2.  That oval? Note the line running through it. That is where the wing splits. Not on the leading edge like before, but down the middle of the wing!

3.   See how top/bottom friggin lasers  curve down and up?? Wing split along line in oval, one half goes down, other half goes up.

View Quote

how do you explain the 4 thrusters? You can see that it has one thruster per half of the intake and the circular intake is clearly split. although i do agree with the wing split front to back instead of top and bottom with the curves of the tips but that could be  just at the tips as well to be more slim lined.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah, and he got owned by a blind guy with a stick.

View Quote

that was the absolute stupidest part of any of the movies. STUPIDER THAN JAR JAR FUCKING BINKS! No way is that happening to Boba Fett. Luke was using the force on that or some shit. And he fought his way out of that pit btw.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Boba Fett became Mandalore and reunited the Mandalorians. He was referred to as Mandalore in several EU stories, Boba Fett, A Pactical Man being one of them. He was one of, if not the only, non-force user to kill a Vong in hand to hand combat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also trained Jaina Solo to kill her brother.

Fett was a Master with Lightsabers and killed serval Jedi with them. He was good enough as a Non Force user in that too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Its what happens to you when you go down on Nancy Pelosi
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top