Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you sign anything when you bought the house that you've read and abide by the covenants?
Are they enforceable where you live?
If not, I'd tell the neighbor tough turkey and build away.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do the CC&Rs say?

Exactly.
View Quote

I don't know what a CC&R is.

I've stated verbatim what the most relevant portions of the covenant says in the OP. The city doesn't regulate fences unless they are taller than 6' or if they are closer than 5' to a city road. I even called the city to confirm... I did this because the lying old bag up the hill brought her HOA president down here who spouted off and lied claiming there are city regulations against it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
let them know how thrilled you are now that the barbed wire has been ordered so you can finishe the fence.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a split rail wood/wire mix fence. I've thought about buying some of that really ugly orange plastic shit to use temporarily. However that is against the rules, everything built in this area is supposed to "blend in to the general atmosphere/scenery"

So I guess blaze orange would be a blatant violation. But I think it would make the point. I did mention that I could build a 6' privacy, aluminum panel, or chain link fence if they prefer. You should have seen the look on her face. I think I was the first person in her LONG life to have basically told her that she was wrong and what she thinks isn't really relevant. I'm more concerned with the guy next door. He seems like a pretty good guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
build the fence and tell them to stfu. I understand not wanting to piss them off, but if it gets bad, just build a bigger fence.

It's a split rail wood/wire mix fence. I've thought about buying some of that really ugly orange plastic shit to use temporarily. However that is against the rules, everything built in this area is supposed to "blend in to the general atmosphere/scenery"

So I guess blaze orange would be a blatant violation. But I think it would make the point. I did mention that I could build a 6' privacy, aluminum panel, or chain link fence if they prefer. You should have seen the look on her face. I think I was the first person in her LONG life to have basically told her that she was wrong and what she thinks isn't really relevant. I'm more concerned with the guy next door. He seems like a pretty good guy.

I am in the process of building that exact fence myself.....good luck to you....

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors (case in point)
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My first inclination is to tell you to piss on their leg.

However the reality is the neighbors could pool their cash and sue you just to cost you some money .

Talk to them and try to reason yourself out of any litigation .

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Exactly how many acres are we discussing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First things first, did you have a survey done? And I mean by a registered land surveyor so as to establish your property line. When building a fence, it is wise to keep it inside your property line by 6-12 inches or so.

No I didn't. I realize I should, but we walked the line together, and I am keeping it well inside the line (at least 6 feet).

That's another thing that makes this a joke. It isn't acres. It's a max of a 1/4 acre section of my lot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
A fence you say?  Secured borders are overrated!  What difference does it make if they cross at this point?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did OP confess the height of his proposed fence?
View Quote

It's a cedar split rail with wire. Posts are 5' dug in 1', so it's 4' in most places.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am in the process of building that exact fence myself.....good luck to you....

Good Fences Acres Make Good Neighbors (case in point)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
build the fence and tell them to stfu. I understand not wanting to piss them off, but if it gets bad, just build a bigger fence.

Good Fences Acres Make Good Neighbors (case in point)

fixed
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Do what you want to, you're paying for it.

I'm not sure about covenants, my neighborhood had (has?) one that, among many other things, required that if you sold the house you had to sell to white people.

I find it funny.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Your right of course...many acres make for better neighbors....

But when you can't come up with many acres......nice tall fences can suffice.....

I'm going outside right now to string some wire.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#12]

I think when I start working on it again tomorrow, I will don one of these:

or maybe one of the rebel flag

I don't know if she was offended or turned on by the fact that my son and I had our shirts off while working.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a cedar split rail with wire. Posts are 5' dug in 1', so it's 4' in most places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of midget dog are you going to keep in with a 4' fence?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You would think the 25 other fences would make your point.

Apparently not..
View Quote

To be fair, most of those fences are shorter.

What is funny is that the neighbor of the busy body up the hill has one, and according to the busy bodies, it is against the rules.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
So these are old rules from a long defunct HOA?

Sounds like they are more or less 'guidelines' that residents are just voluntarily following.  Do they even have legal teeth?  Who has the legal authority to enforce these rules?  I don't think busybody up the hill can just declare herself 'subdivision president'.  

Is your fence within code of the local municipality and have you acquired the proper permits prior to construction?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell her you are glad she can see the fence.  You were beginning to worry that she wouldnt be able to see this.  

http://www.zillow.com/blog/do-you-have-a-neighbor-from-hell-4072/
View Quote

Unless she left out all the good stuff that happened, that's pretty tame.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_208/1195247308p1mg9M.jpg

or maybe this:

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/271448252653_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

I don't know if she was offended or turned on by the fact that my son and I had our shirts off while working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_208/1195247308p1mg9M.jpg

or maybe this:

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/271448252653_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

Tha' fuck just happened to this thread?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]
My neighbor last year put up a fence. I was happy because not only did it save me the cost of putting one up myself, but I gained a little bit of yard since it's about a foot into his property.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
i am about to do the same at my house, we have an HOA though
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have medium sized dogs. 50lbs. They probably could jump a 4' fence, but haven't done it yet. The terrain makes it significantly more difficult than on flat land. If I need to, I can always add another 6" with a strand of wire.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you telling us that a somewhat distant neighbor would rather look down the hill and see the back of your house than to see a fence? WTF is wrong with these people? Sounds like you're in the right, and these old busybodies don't have the right to tell you what to do with your land. Fuck 'em.

Quote revered American poet and author Robert Frost to them: "Good fences make good neighbors."

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
If my new neighbor's first interaction with me was to make demands on my property unsupported by law or agreement, I'd feel compelled to continue with my plans so as to establish the ground rules for future interactions with them.

If they wanted to continue the dance, I'd look into the possibility of painting the side facing them alternating orange and purple stripes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Poll Fail
No option for simply ignoring the neighbors and continuing to improve your property
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So these are old rules from a long defunct HOA?

Sounds like they are more or less 'guidelines' that residents are just voluntarily following.  Do they even have legal teeth?  Who has the legal authority to enforce these rules?  I don't think busybody up the hill can just declare herself 'subdivision president'.  

Is your fence within code of the local municipality and have you acquired the proper permits prior to construction?

View Quote

Busy body up the hill is in a different covenant or housing division with a different set of rules. Her opinion means zero, except it seems to be affecting the opinion of the guy next door.

The community I live in can enforce the rules. All they have to do is start having meetings and vote. From what I hear, there haven't been meetings and a president, in a long time, if ever.

What I'm building is within code and doesn't require a permit. The city doesn't give a damn, I read through the codes, and called to confirm.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd politely refuse to comply with their request. You asked the immediate neighbor and he was onboard BEFORE you bought fencing and labored. Its unreasonable for him to come in afterwords and expect you to take a loss, and I'd explain that to him. See if he will cover the cost of changing the fence to suit him and I be he changes his tune.

As for the woman up the hill, I'd ignore her. There's one in every neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I would carefully examine the covenan....wait, did you just post a giant cock?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you sign anything when you bought the house that you've read and abide by the covenants?

View Quote

Yes I signed that I read and will abide to the covenants... Which I believe I am doing. They seem pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
First things first, did you have a survey done? And I mean by a registered land surveyor so as to establish your property line. When building a fence, it is wise to keep it inside your property line by 6-12 inches or so.

View Quote

I just heard the other day to put your fence right on the property line.    If it is inside your property line, you are giving up your land and you are still responsible for maintenance of the small piece of land outside your fence.     Check with local building laws.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FIFY

I think option #2 has a good chance of backfiring. The new guy vs a guy who has been here 20 years. A group of less than 50 voters on a topic like this tends to be a popularity contest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The way I see it, you got three choices:

1. Tell everyone to fuck off, and do what you want...
2. Get the HOA activated and get a position of power, then do option 1, or...
3. Shotgun. AR

FIFY

I think option #2 has a good chance of backfiring. The new guy vs a guy who has been here 20 years. A group of less than 50 voters on a topic like this tends to be a popularity contest.

If you have no HOA, who will be voting on what?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Your house, your property, your yard... they can deal with it.

If there's no board there's no one there to enforce it. I wouldn't be too concerned about what the neighbors think. If anything you want a fence even more now.

If it were me I'd build the most gigantic fence I could, paint it hunter orange and hang mirrors on it. Screw'em.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#31]
At the most you may want to take a copy of the covenant (if one even exists) to a professional to review it to see if what you've done is in compliance with the rules - or to see if those rules are even enforceable.

Although that being said... I suspect your fence is in accordance with the covenant.  The real issue is likely that your neighbors themselves don't actually know what the covenant states, or have grown accustomed to their own mental idea (fantasy?) on what the rules mean... therefore any deviation from that is "illegal" to them, even when it's not.

The problem is likely similar to one that plagues some HOAs...  where the enforcers try to invent their own imaginary rules, or take real rules and decide the limits are different than what's actually stated. Hell some of them even try to enforce their rules on homes that aren't even in the HOA!  ... In a nutshell the busybodies have decided that "I don't like looking at it" is the same thing as "it's against the rules" regardless of what the rules actually state.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like you have a nosey neighbor on the hill.  Did you ask her WTF she is looking for in your back yard
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FIFY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. Shotgun. AR

FIFY

Shhhhhhh...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

that's what I'm thinking giving up 6' of property is quite a bit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I didn't. I realize I should, but we walked the line together, and I am keeping it well inside the line (at least 6 feet).

that's what I'm thinking giving up 6' of property is quite a bit

I'd plant some trees there and maintain them, maybe even fruit trees.  That way you're using and maintaining the 6'

ETA- There's a reason why I bought property at the end of a road and still have a tenth of a mile of driveway.    I can walk around in my boxers all day long if I choose.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would carefully examine the covenan....wait, did you just post a giant cock?  
View Quote

I read it very closely, and posted the relevant parts in the OP. Like I said the closest thing to a legitimate gripe I've heard is that it isn't adjacent. The covenant states that "the fence must be adjacent to the primary dwelling" and used for either "animal control" or "privacy." It also has to aesthetically match the primary dwelling/natural surroundings. Every other rule is really just a suggestion. Like "fencing along lot lines is discouraged." The intent of all the rules is to maintain the natural look and feel to the area. Which is why I, and almost everyone else chooses to use a cedar split rail fence.

It was the only picture of a rebel flag speedo I could find... I didn't think it giant, but more proportional.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
your fence, your yard, your interpretation of the vague-ass rules.

let 'em sue you if they want.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've stated verbatim what the most relevant portions of the covenant says in the OP. The city doesn't regulate fences unless they are taller than 6' or if they are closer than 5' to a city road. I even called the city to confirm... I did this because the lying old bag up the hill brought her HOA president down here who spouted off and lied claiming there are city regulations against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do the CC&Rs say?

Exactly.

Lol, she's not even part of your neighborhood?  Eat shit and die, old lady.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. Shotgun. AR

FIFY

The covenance has provisions for a governing body similar to an HOA. It isn't, and to my knowledge hasn't ever been active. But I believe that anyone that wants to could get it going.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Covenants that were written in the 70's, have never been amended, no board, no dues, no meetings. Yeah, I'd say you've been a much better neighbor than you had to be.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, I wouldn't worry about it.  If several other neighbors have similar fences, it would seem that you're in compliance with the covenants.  If not, I'm willing to bet the covenants would be changed if push came to shove.  It sounds to me like you have a busy body neighbor that thinks they can tell others what to do.  Don't make the mistake of allowing them to think they can.

BTW, they'd have to sue you to do anything about it, and most never want to spend money.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#41]
A Good Fence makes a Good Neighbor...

Fuck the neighbors
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
At the most you may want to take a copy of the covenant (if one even exists) to a professional to review it to see if what you've done is in compliance with the rules - or to see if those rules are even enforceable.

Although that being said... I suspect your fence is in accordance with the covenant.  The real issue is likely that your neighbors themselves don't actually know what the covenant states, or have grown accustomed to their own mental idea (fantasy?) on what the rules mean... therefore any deviation from that is "illegal" to them, even when it's not.

The problem is likely similar to one that plagues some HOAs...  where the enforcers try to invent their own imaginary rules, or take real rules and decide the limits are different than what's actually stated. Hell some of them even try to enforce their rules on homes that aren't even in the HOA!  ... In a nutshell the busybodies have decided that "I don't like looking at it" is the same thing as "it's against the rules" regardless of what the rules actually state.
View Quote

Exactly. Good idea. I've got to go to legal soon anyway, so maybe I'll ask them to review it. So far the only complaint is that the fence isn't adjacent to the primary dwelling...

That's why I quoted the definition of adjacent in the OP. Seem ridiculous to me. If they wanted size restrictions, they should have written them in the covenant. Basically I'm debating with an old man the definition of the word adjacent, because that's all he's got. But if he decides to hold a meeting and convinces a few other people that the word adjacent means the same thing as small, then I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes I signed that I read and will abide to the covenants... Which I believe I am doing. They seem pretty reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A pic would help us put it all in perspective, but the way you present it, you seem courteous, compliant and hopefully not tacky.   It doesn't sound like there is an enforcement protocol in place.  Unless this busy body thinks they can prove you are violating the covenant and will fork out the $ to sue you and win.......don't worry.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have a nosey neighbor on the hill.  Did you ask her WTF she is looking for in your back yard
View Quote

The way the hills are, it's in plain view. A better question is: Was that you trying to shine a flashlight in my windows the second day I moved in?

I responded with a laser pointer. I haven't had any more high powered flashlights pointed toward my house.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like the OP has done his research and knows the rules.  The busy body neighbors need STFU...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well OP tell us about the terrain of the back yard. Does the hot red sun hit that part of the yard or would the fence on the other side be more wise or beneficial? The phrase "Good fences make good neighbors" bears repeating. Besides maybe you want to clean you shotgun outside one day and want to do it in the fenced in area. The materials your house could be made of might be inferior like they are Afghanistan materials or something. Either way the capacity of your fenced in area probably doesn't matter since the terrain and the materials are different and you could probably see everything a mile away because of how the sun sets in your area.

Good luck OP.
View Quote

The sun is quite intense at altitude, and the rocks are red. Like Afghanistan, the soil is very rocky, and the terrain uneven. Luckily I have an AR for HD if the cartels, aliens or zombies invade. If I can't handle it, Afghanman will protect me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#49]
build a bigger fence
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#50]

If you think you interpreted the rules properly, go for it.  I don't think it is a good idea to get in to a pissing match with neighbors, so if at all possible, work with him to see if you can come to some sort of agreement.  Maybe a nice looking split rail with thin-gauge fence behind it, or maybe you can build it 3' further from his property line and plant some decorative grasses/plant along it to help hide it.  If he doesn't want to compromise, then eh, too bad, you gave it a shot.  If you don't want to compromise, then that's fine too, but being on good terms with neighbors is always preferable, even if they are douches.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top