Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Deed restrictions are civil issues.  They will have to file a law suit to get anything done.  

The wording appears to be pretty vague, but I would take "adjacent" to mean fencing off an area that is directly adjacent to the house, rather than say a dog run on a separate part of the property.  

I'm guessing that you are probably fine.  I'd finish the fence and see if the neighbors get used to it.

ETA.....This is of interest to me as I just moved to TN and purchased a house without a fence.  Installing a fence for the GSD is the first thing I'm going to do.  There are very few fences in the neighborhood(or the town for that matter) and none of my neighbors have a fence.  I'm a bit nervous about it and am hoping it won't generate any ill feelings from the neighbors.  Or course, the other option is having my GSD roam the neighborhood and I can grantee that would cause trouble.

Coming from TX where everybody has a 6' wood privacy fence, the whole no fence thing just seems weird to me.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It's easy. You already said your neighbor is cool so talk it over until your both satisfied. It does sound like 75% is a little more than it should be according to your own interpretation of the rules.

Make it clear than anything you do will not be to make some busy body down the street happy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
this is nothing without mspaint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you only have a quarter acre ... everything is adjacent.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I do like the idea of adding plants to help cover up the fence for the old guy
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

He didn't say that.  He said he's fencing less than a quarter acre.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you think you interpreted the rules properly, go for it.  I don't think it is a good idea to get in to a pissing match with neighbors, so if at all possible, work with him to see if you can come to some sort of agreement.  Maybe a nice looking split rail with thin-gauge fence behind it, or maybe you can build it 3' further from his property line and plant some decorative grasses/plant along it to help hide it.  If he doesn't want to compromise, then eh, too bad, you gave it a shot.  If you don't want to compromise, then that's fine too, but being on good terms with neighbors is always preferable, even if they are douches.
View Quote

I'm trying to be reasonable. The guy next door seems like a good dude. I'm willing to bet that his wife is friends with the old bag up the hill, and that is the real source of the problem. He didn't seem to have a problem with it when I first mentioned it, and stated that we are going to also put in a path and a patio in the future.

I am building a nice looking split rail with thin gauge fence. I'm thinking of just finishing it up tomorrow, and volunteering to change the color of the stain, or plant a few trees if that would help. He proposed fencing a smaller area the last time we spoke. I would have considered that more seriously earlier, but at this point it would mean ripping up 8 posts I've already got in the ground, loading all the lumber and fence in my truck, and trying to convince the hardware store to give me a refund on the lumber (some of which I have already stained).
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an acre, but the fenced area we are discussing is 1/4 of an acre or less. I grew up way out in the country with 80+ acres on my parents property. I agree. I think his issue is the fact that it extends most of the way to the back of the property. I'm not much of an MS Paint type of guy, but let me see what I can do.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tha' fuck just happened to this thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think when I start working on it again tomorrow, I will don one of these:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_208/1195247308p1mg9M.jpg

or maybe this:

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/271448252653_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

I don't know if she was offended or turned on by the fact that my son and I had our shirts off while working.

Tha' fuck just happened to this thread?
Freedom.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Look for the "GIS" website for the county and state you are in or just use google earth. You can use the "snipping tool" built into the os of your computer to cut out an overhead of your property and do a simple paint on that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the whole no fence thing just seems weird to me.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you obtain the required building permits to build said fence?  If so, tell them to have a good day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate those fucking neighborhood that does not allow fences along property lines.... what's yours is mine and what mine is all of us.... retarded liberal mentality if you ask me.   Freedom means privacy including property.  Without it, you really don't have much freedom.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#14]
What kind of a dog do you have?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I read it very closely, and posted the relevant parts in the OP. Like I said the closest thing to a legitimate gripe I've heard is that it isn't adjacent. The covenant states that "the fence must be adjacent to the primary dwelling" and used for either "animal control" or "privacy."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would carefully examine the covenan....wait, did you just post a giant cock?  

I read it very closely, and posted the relevant parts in the OP. Like I said the closest thing to a legitimate gripe I've heard is that it isn't adjacent. The covenant states that "the fence must be adjacent to the primary dwelling" and used for either "animal control" or "privacy."

Does it come up to your house?   If so then it is adjacent.

A picture or two or three would help.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's a cedar split rail with wire. Posts are 5' dug in 1', so it's 4' in most places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did OP confess the height of his proposed fence?

It's a cedar split rail with wire. Posts are 5' dug in 1', so it's 4' in most places.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
It's your property and you are not violating the rules so don't worry about it. Others will add fences. They did in my neighborhood when I put up my chain link fence.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did OP confess the height of his proposed fence?

Doesn't sound like a problem to me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
your fence, your yard, your interpretation of the vague-ass rules.

let 'em sue you if they want.

View Quote

This screw neighborhood HOAs and rules
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't know what a CC&R is.

I've stated verbatim what the most relevant portions of the covenant says in the OP. The city doesn't regulate fences unless they are taller than 6' or if they are closer than 5' to a city road. I even called the city to confirm... I did this because the lying old bag up the hill brought her HOA president down here who spouted off and lied claiming there are city regulations against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do the CC&Rs say?

Exactly.

I don't know what a CC&R is.

I've stated verbatim what the most relevant portions of the covenant says in the OP. The city doesn't regulate fences unless they are taller than 6' or if they are closer than 5' to a city road. I even called the city to confirm... I did this because the lying old bag up the hill brought her HOA president down here who spouted off and lied claiming there are city regulations against it.

"Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions"
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just heard the other day to put your fence right on the property line.    If it is inside your property line, you are giving up your land and you are still responsible for maintenance of the small piece of land outside your fence.    Check with local building laws.
View Quote

I am not a lawyer but this does not make sense.   Otherwise, you would lose your house and front yard too.  Continue to use and maintain all your property and you should be fine (opinion).
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Op I think you need to plant a few bushes, maybe like these:

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Was the deed encumbered by the covenant?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's a split rail wood/wire mix fence. I've thought about buying some of that really ugly orange plastic shit to use temporarily. However that is against the rules, everything built in this area is supposed to "blend in to the general atmosphere/scenery"

So I guess blaze orange would be a blatant violation. But I think it would make the point. I did mention that I could build a 6' privacy, aluminum panel, or chain link fence if they prefer. You should have seen the look on her face. I think I was the first person in her LONG life to have basically told her that she was wrong and what she thinks isn't really relevant. I'm more concerned with the guy next door. He seems like a pretty good guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
build the fence and tell them to stfu. I understand not wanting to piss them off, but if it gets bad, just build a bigger fence.

It's a split rail wood/wire mix fence. I've thought about buying some of that really ugly orange plastic shit to use temporarily. However that is against the rules, everything built in this area is supposed to "blend in to the general atmosphere/scenery"

So I guess blaze orange would be a blatant violation. But I think it would make the point. I did mention that I could build a 6' privacy, aluminum panel, or chain link fence if they prefer. You should have seen the look on her face. I think I was the first person in her LONG life to have basically told her that she was wrong and what she thinks isn't really relevant. I'm more concerned with the guy next door. He seems like a pretty good guy.

We have an eight strand electric fence with a 2 joule fence charger around our property. It keeps out the riff-raff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tell him to pay the taxes if he wants to decide what you do with your property.

You read the rules, and seem to be following them, fuck him.
View Quote

There's more to life than "fuck you, it's my property."

Such as living on your property without your fence being cut, or paint dumped on your lawn, or your garden hose stolen, or angry looks day in and day out.  Peaceful coexistence is pretty important for reasonable, sociable humans.  Neckbeards, however...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Such as living on your property without your fence being cut, or paint dumped on your lawn, or your garden hose stolen, or angry looks day in and day out.  Peaceful coexistence is pretty important for reasonable, sociable humans.  Neckbeards, however...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do reasonable, sociable humans steal and vandalize each other's property if someone makes a decision they don't like?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd have another chat with my immediate neighbor and tell him the fence is necessary so the dogs have a place to run, yet kept contained so they won't stray onto others property. Tell him you were pleased to meet him and think of him as a pleasant neighbor, and hope that the fence won't be an issue between you two, but you will complete it as planned. That gives him the option of accepting your friendship or not. The busybody up the hill is in a different sub and would have no bearing whatsoever, as to what I did on my property.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't see how anybody would object to a well kept, unobtrusive fence.

What is worse?  A small fence on only a portion of a backyard? Or a rabid, baby killing, cujo-dogbeast roaming the neighborhood jonesing for blood?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Without seeing the dead covenants that you agreed upon by buying the property and seeing the fence there is no way to know who is in the right on this.

BTW if you yard is that small the neighbors are more than likely correct on the fence and rules of the covenant
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Without seeing the dead covenants that you agreed upon by buying the property and seeing the fence there is no way to know who is in the right on this.

BTW if you yard is that small the neighbors are more than likely correct on the fence and rules of the covenant
View Quote

So you believe that the word adjacent refers to size?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Poll Fail
No option for simply ignoring the neighbors and continuing to improve your property
View Quote

+1
You are following the suggestions in the covenant and the government's regulations.  Ignore them aND finish your fence as planned. Either your next door neighbor will get over it or he won't.  No big loss if he doesn't.
The way I see it your fence is adjacent, not over 6' tall, and not within 5' of the road. You are good to go even if they did get stupid enough to sue.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Seems to me a HOA couldn't enforce any rules after the fact someone moves in their house.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

First things first, did you have a survey done? And I mean by a registered land surveyor so as to establish your property line. When building a fence, it is wise to keep it inside your property line by 6-12 inches or so.

View Quote
He's no where near the property lines with the fences.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Why don't you grill up some mammal flesh and invite the neighbors who expressed concern to discuss it in person over a meal?  

You don't want hostile neighbors if you can help it, even if you're legally right.  Seems like you're getting off on the wrong foot with people in a place where you're likely planning to live for a while.

Or you could hire a lawyer and a surveyor to figure it all out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I cannot comprehend how you people have yards that are NOT fenced off from your neighbors!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Perform a rendition of that Goat song that was viral on Youtube last year?

CAN YOU... QUAAACK LIKE A DUCK?
QUAAAACK LIKE A DUUUUCK WHEN WE FUUUUUCK??
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seems to me a HOA couldn't enforce any rules after the fact someone moves in their house.
View Quote

Lots of places have deed restrictions or covenant without HOAs or even ever having the intention.  We bought 2/3 of a subdivision with covenants.  We probably could have had them changed or done away with but they actually helped keep the trash out. You couldn't put a single wide on the property,  minimum of 1700 sq ft if you brought in a manufactured home,  no goats or chickens. Most of the rules became rules because of past experiences.  
The county would not issue a building permit if the proposed structure did not comply with the deed restrictions which were on file with the county.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree with you. I couldn't care less how pissed off my neighbors are. If they want to start harassing me and vandalizing my stuff then we have a different problem. I don't live near them for their sake, I have no attachment to their feelings or opinions. I don't care how safe you feel living near me, I don't care what you want. I'll do what I want and if that doesn't sit well then too fucking bad... move.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#40]
13r problems.

BTW I finished building a split rail much like yours about a month ago to keep in my dag and keep out the neighbors. I count my blessings how fortunate we are to have good neighbors on both sides and nobody behind us.
Neighborhoods CAN be great places to live if you aren't fortunate enough to have 60 acres in the sticks. They can also be miserable if you have a bunch of assholes living around you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't understand why some of you people live in areas like that.

Why didn't you buy one or the mansions up on the hill? They are probably nicer than the place you live.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Got it from another neighbor. Apparently the neighborhood watch is good, but OPSEC sucks balls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few days later I am 50% complete building the fence. I get a phone call from a different neighbor from up the hill in the next community telling me it is illegal to build my fence that she can see from her deck. I tell her thanks for your concern and the call and go back to work.

How does she have your number?

Got it from another neighbor. Apparently the neighborhood watch is good, but OPSEC sucks balls.

Give that neighbor a punch in the dick and tell Gladys to loose your number.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole no fence thing just seems weird to me.

This.

Me too. My parent's neighbors here are pissed because they don't have a fence.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't, but the part pertaining to the reasons to have the fence and not running them along property lines seems to have been included to limit the size.  But, nothing is spelled out, so attorneys could probably argue either side.  

Judging by your MS paint it sure doesn't seem like that fence could possibly be bothersome to the people up the hill
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#45]
sounds like u need a tannerite arfcom party!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Build it and tell them to sue you if they don't like it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Build it and tell them to sue you if they don't like it.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#48]
They're being unreasonable, so I'd just say fuck them and put up an 8' fence along the entire property line.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't understand why some of you people live in areas like that.

Why didn't you buy one or the mansions up on the hill? They are probably nicer than the place you live.
View Quote

Because I didn't invent Microsoft, and don't have a million bucks to spend on a house.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#50]
that's quite the diagram.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top