Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No significant advantage.  At least  you are finally accepting that despite not accepting a slide fire, the scar 16 is still better than the m4 platform, just not significantly better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

No significant advantage.  At least  you are finally accepting that despite not accepting a slide fire, the scar 16 is still better than the m4 platform, just not significantly better.
Umm...  That was the military that stated that as the reason it was dropped like a hot rock.
I don't care for them because of the goofy ass recoil impulse, and the unnecessarily huge and long operating rod.
What's the point of using an AR-18 BCG If you're going to use an op rod like that?  
Why not use the lighter version of what they copied the G36?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Umm...  That was the military that stated that as the reason it was dropped like a hot rock.

I don't care for them because of the goofy ass recoil impulse, and the unnecessarily huge and long operating rod.

What's the point of using an AR-18 BCG If you're going to use an op rod like that?  

http://www.strelec.si/forum/uploads/FileUpload/10/7f5e86f70a169ed95737355a70d23c.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

http://www.strelec.si/forum/uploads/FileUpload/10/7f5e86f70a169ed95737355a70d23c.jpg

wow thats crazy I had no idea the guts were that close.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

LOL yea... They didn't put a lot of effort into changing things, besides adding a TON of mass.

The ACR is similar

And of course, it all stems from the AR-18.

One major differance being the AR-18 uses dual guide rods that pin into the front trunion to locate the BCG in the receiver vs rails.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
So far, this has been the most interesting part of the thread.  Thanks for posting those pics.  BTW I own a SCAR-16 and love it.  I don't think it's perfect but I prefer it over my AR's.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

LOL yea... They didn't put a lot of effort into changing things, besides adding a TON of mass.

The ACR is similar

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/jj762c/ACR%20bolt%20assembly/1ACRCompleteboltandcarrier.jpg

http://50ae.net/collection/ar180/ar180-19-cs.jpg

One major differance being the AR-18 uses dual guide rods that pin into the front trunion to locate the BCG in the receiver vs rails.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

The ACR is similar

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/jj762c/ACR%20bolt%20assembly/1ACRCompleteboltandcarrier.jpg

Jeezus, I wonder who patented the AR-18 BCG. They should be making a shitload of money just from everyone trying to copy it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Jeezus, I wonder who patented the AR-18 BCG. They should be making a shitload of money just from everyone trying to copy it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

The ACR is similar

The patents ran out long ago. That's why everyone and their mother are copying it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Scopes designed for M24 and MK13 ate dick on a scar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see the SCAR ever getting to the same point, especially if the current atmosphere is "It's perfect like it is".

Especially if people continue claiming incompatible accessories are a design fault of the weapon itself.

Scopes designed for M24 and MK13 ate dick on a scar

Cool, but neither of those bolt guns have recoil impulses the same as a SCAR (or an AR for that matter)... So why do you expect them to behave identically on two different systems if you've already identified the causation for this issue?

As I told Madcap, I don't view this as a problem with the SCAR. I view this as a problem with putting those optics on the SCAR, and certainly a problem for those stuck with no other option.

Given ancillary equipment tailored to or compatible with the SCAR's recoil impulse this issue would cease to be any matter of concern.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So far, this has been the most interesting part of the thread.  Thanks for posting those pics.  
View Quote

Agreed.

Never had the opportunity to disassemble those others.

Learning has occured.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm beginning to think the AR18 is the most copied system out there LOL
SA-80 BCG

Steyr AUG

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm beginning to think the AR18 is the most copied system out there LOLSA-80 BCGhttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Archerofloaf/Germany160.jpg

Steyr AUG
http://www.gunmart.net/images/content/gun_reviews/54/05.jpg

View Quote

Except in the AUG the rods are incorporated into the carrier, rather than going through the carrier?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Except in the AUG the rods are incorporated into the carrier, rather than going through the carrier?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm beginning to think the AR18 is the most copied system out there LOLSA-80 BCGhttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Archerofloaf/Germany160.jpg

Steyr AUG

http://www.gunmart.net/images/content/gun_reviews/54/05.jpg

Yep.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The patents ran out long ago. That's why everyone and their mother are copying it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

The ACR is similar

Firearms designers, especially modern ones, copy everything.  The M60 is like it was designed by a committee.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm beginning to think the AR18 is the most copied system out there LOL

Steyr AUG

LOL yea it's one of them.

Bushmaster Combat Rifle

Leader Dynamics t-25 MK 2

Interesting here, they used a triangle bolt like and AK for simple machining.

The T-25 is now back for the low low price of $800 that give you a lot of the functionality of a SCAR at a fraction of the broken optics.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Madcap, does the Slidefire work on the MPAR?  Can Handl Defense make a tapco fucked receiver for it?  

If so, that's all you.  Good job BRO!  And with stamped steel, it's only a pound heavier than the SCAR! That should definitely help with recoil and accuracy out of that shit barrel!  

FUCK YEA!  Madcap, you're the man!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Here's a vert der ferk and a new one to me....  A breakdown suitcase...  gun.

DRD Paratus Carbine

.308, SCAR like, but the whole thing is tooless to disassemble.

But here's the neat part...

It's like an AR-16 and AR-10 bolt had a baby....

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Madcap, does the Slidefire work on the MPAR?  Can Handl Defense make a tapco fucked receiver for it?  
If so, that's all you.  Good job BRO!  And with stamped steel, it's only a pound heavier than the SCAR! That should definitely help with recoil and accuracy out of that shit barrel!  
View Quote
What's your problem?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1641834_Slide_Fire_haters__The_OFFICIAL_bumpfire_stock_hate_thread_.html
Wanna hate on slide fires? Man up and hit that thread instead of swimming around the edges like a punk.
ETA - Also the great thing about no being a weak bitch is not worrying about the weight of a pound or two.  (Or in the case of the MPAR vs scar a half pound, but fuck math)
Then again, my AR-180 weighs something like a half pound less than the SCAR...  So you're right, if FN wanted to make a lighter rifle, stamped steel may have been the way to go.
Or get rid of the half pound of metal they added to the G-36 bolt they use
Do you have a real argument at all or are you just making noise?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's your problem?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1641834_Slide_Fire_haters__The_OFFICIAL_bumpfire_stock_hate_thread_.html

Wanna hate on slide fires? Man up and hit that thread instead of swimming around the edges like a punk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your problem?

I'm not going to read a thread dedicated to slide fires.  I'm sure you probably have 500 posts in there though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Nothing wrong with not wanting to go to a thread where you know you'll get shown your ass.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#19]
For those wondering what wonders that slidefire thread contain, and why it's so funny homeboy is avoiding it...

Here's one of the OP's video's.   I'd put a SF on a SCAR, MPAR whatever...  the things work, and work well.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#20]
SCAR16's reciprocating mass is gigantic. Now imagine the SCAR17.

Much heavier and more punishing on optics.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm not going to read a thread dedicated to slide fires.  I'm sure you probably have 500 posts in there though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SCAR16's reciprocating mass is gigantic.
View Quote

For a reason, the increased cyclic mass aids in reliable feeding.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
-ETA OMG please keep coming up with reasons for design features of the scar, this shit's making my day.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A heavier mass is harder to stop or slow down than a lighter one, but your excellent refuting statement obviously proves otherwise. Thank you for providing us with such solid concrete data.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For those wondering what wonders that slidefire thread contain, and why it's so funny homeboy is avoiding it...

Here's one of the OP's video's.   I'd put a SF on a SCAR, MPAR whatever...  the things work, and work well.
View Quote

Are you all out of things to make up about the SCAR that you are changing subjects?  Or are you just that upset that you can't adapt the slidefire to the SCAR?  Is it that Tapco doesn't have vast aftermarket support for the SCAR?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

-ETA OMG please keep coming up with reasons for design features of the scar, this shit's making my day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .mil deemed the SCAR to be a more reliable and advantageous weapon than the AR based m4 platform.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm no firearms designer or engineer, but I bet you could solve that problem with just a stiffer spring, rather than adding more weight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been following this thread as I'm debating whether getting a 17 now, or holding off and saving up for an SR25 EC....my instinct tells me to get the 17.  But then I'll probably want the 16 just because...also want a KAC LPR in the mix....so stuck on what to get next.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A heavier mass is harder to stop or slow down than a lighter one, but your excellent refuting statement obviously proves otherwise. Thank you for providing us with such solid concrete data.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, that's why SCAR's have that weird janky recoil compared to similar rifles, and the SCAR-17 eats optics.

The AR-18 has no problem feeding with a BCG that weighs a fraction of the SCAR, it's also got  a great recoil impulse, and shoots very smooth.

Bigger is not always better.  The g36 didn't need all that extra mass, it cycles fine.  Same with AR's, and like... all sorts of other guns.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you all out of things to make up about the SCAR that you are changing subjects?  Or are you just that upset that you can't adapt the slidefire to the SCAR?  Is it that Tapco doesn't have vast aftermarket support for the SCAR?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're the one in here bringing up slide fires. Madcap doesn't even own one. He was involved with my concept build as a person to bounce ideas off of—hence his involvement in my thread. You should pop in there and square us all away.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You're the one in here bringing up slide fires. Madcap doesn't even own one. He was involved with my concept build as a person to bounce ideas off of—hence his involvement in my thread. You should pop in there and square us all away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The slide fire does not fit on my SCAR, and I'm not putting one on my ARs, so I have no use for one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The .mil deemed the SCAR to be a more reliable and advantageous weapon than the AR based m4 platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Must be why it was so widely adopted.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You stated yourself that the SCAR only had a slight advantage.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The slide fire does not fit on my SCAR, and I'm not putting one on my ARs, so I have no use for one.
View Quote

Why are you bringing them up so much then?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

So, what you're saying is, you'll talk shit in threads, because you don't know anything about them, and have no interest in them.

Sounds legit.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So, what you're saying is, you'll talk shit in threads, because you don't know anything about them, and have no interest in them.

Sounds legit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Sounds legit.

And here we are full circle.  You posting in a SCAR thread where you quite obviously know jack or shit about them.  

Point noted.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Holy shit....  I literally JUST replied to you about that on this same page.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm no firearms designer or engineer, but I bet you could solve that problem with just a stiffer spring, rather than adding more weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly, though there are probably more factors that play into it along with potential for different problems to surface - "break in period" on some handguns and other extraction issues with stiff springs being the first that come to mind. An interesting question to that effect would be: why don't AR's always use the strongest recoil spring possible?

You raise an excellent point however, none of us participating here are firearms designers or engineers. Obviously those types of people at FN had a reason for designing the SCAR the way they did. It's been proven to be an extremely reliable and capable system by the military's own testing.

The real problem has always been that it's a different gun. It's apparent the detractors all expect it to feel, shoot and operate the same as an AR, but it's not... and it doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And here we are full circle.  You posting in a SCAR thread where you quite obviously know jack or shit about them.  

Point noted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Sounds legit.

Point noted.  

This is not a SCAR thread. It's a SCAR vs AR thread. Please note the thread title.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Madcap knows nothing about the SCAR but everything about the slidefire.  So it seems relevant for me to bring up the slidefire which I have zero experience with.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Point noted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Point noted.  
I've shot them a lot.  

Hell, I was shooting one of the first -16's to hit the civilian market.

I'm also apparently one of the few people that knew the origin of the SCAR's g36 BCG copy.

So, you're wrong.  I know quite a bit about them.  

What do you know?  How many have you shot?  

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is not a SCAR thread. It's a SCAR vs AR thread. Please note the thread title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Sounds legit.

Point noted.  

So let me get this straight...

The SCAR is not worth the same price as a similarly optioned AR because it does not accept the Slide Fire.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've shot them a lot.  

I'm also apparently one of the few people that knew the origin of the SCAR's g36 BCG copy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Point noted.  
I've shot them a lot.  

How many have I shot?  I don't know, other than my own SCAR, I have shot about 10 other SCARS.  They shot the same as mine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The SCAR is not worth the same price as a similarly optioned AR because it does not accept the Slide Fire.  
View Quote

No, you do not have it right. No one in any regard mentioned bump fire stocks until you did.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
How many have I shot?  I don't know, other than my own SCAR, I have shot about 10 other SCARS.  They shot the same as mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

So you knew it's just a G-36 with worse recoil?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, you do not have it right. No one in any regard mentioned bump fire stocks until you did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so now we are back to the SCAR being worth WAY more than a similar optioned AR, yet selling for the same price.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

How man G-36's have you shot?  Can the slide fire fit on to one of them?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Ok, so now we are back to the SCAR being worth WAY more than a similar optioned AR, yet selling for the same price.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Your clumsy attempt at thread derailment is laughable.

AR's have more value, SCAR's are just more expensive.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

One.  No seed since it was FA anyways.

ETA- also got to handle a few XM-8's.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Value is always subjective. I would buy a SCAR 17 for ~$1200. I don't hate them.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top