BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 53
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Ebola like the flu? Can it be recontracted after it is survived?
View Quote

The evidence seems to suggest that Ebola survivors have lifetime immunity.

You do not get lifetime immunity from influenza because the virus mutates too much.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

the CDC's job is to expect the worst and hope for the best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CDC issues Ebola checklist: 'Now is the time to prepare'

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warning hospitals and doctors that “now is the time to prepare,” has issued a six-page Ebola “checklist” to help healthcare workers quickly determine if patients are infected.

While the CDC does not believe that there are new cases of Ebola in the United States, the assumption in the checklist is that it is only a matter of time before the virus hits home.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cdc-issues-ebola-checklist-now-is-the-time-to-prepare/article/2553396#!

the CDC's job is to expect the worst and hope for the best.

My brother-in-law started a new job with the CDC today.  I talked to him this evening and he said that exact same phrase.  Deja vu moment...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The United Nations (UN) today announced that the Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on Sep 18 to discuss West Africa's Ebola outbreak, and the epidemic and its response will get attention tomorrow at the top levels of the US government.

The development should come as welcome news for global health and medical aid groups, who have been pressing for more urgent attention and action on an outbreak with cases increasing exponentially and disruptions that threaten three fragile West African nations. A handful of infectious disease experts have also urged the UN Security Council to take up the issue.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

which is still less than 1% of the population of those regions after 8 months. i suspect we will see 50-100k cases by jan before things begin to slowdown. so long as it continues to be contained in those 3 areas, it is still not a real concern for us here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a link to his Sept 5 article scroll down the page a bit.  Pretty much tracks the WHO reports since the 5th.  Without airborne mutation.  It's a mathematical exercise based upon reported numbers.  He predicts 20,000 cases by Oct 24.

which is still less than 1% of the population of those regions after 8 months. i suspect we will see 50-100k cases by jan before things begin to slowdown. so long as it continues to be contained in those 3 areas, it is still not a real concern for us here.

While you seem to have a good working knowledge of biology, and use the English language well, I wonder what exactly your angle of obfuscation is when you use phrases such as "so long as it continues to be contained"".....
.There are NO credible  reports of Ebola being contained to ANY particular area, nation or continent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]

There you go with the good ol' information control....these can't be correct, the fearmongers in ARFCOM have assured us it's one mutation away from killing us all and that it's already airborne transmitted (that fact is being hidden from the world in order to not panic the rest of us, of course)

FALSE: The disease has mutated and become airborne, and that’s why it’s killing doctors.

"[There's] no reason why Ebola should mutate to an airborne virus. It survives in body fluids, but not on dry surfaces due to its lipid membrane.” —Dr. Lasry

FALSE: A global pandemic is inevitable.

"The only good news, if there is good news, as Tom Frieden at the CDC says, is that Ebola kills fairly quickly and is not very transmissible. So I think the chances of global pandemic are minuscule. …This is, of course, a problem for all the movies since they want to make whatever disease is in the film very transmissible.” —Professor Morse

FALSE: An outbreak similar to what’s happening in Africa could easily happen in the United States.

"In the industrialized world, people may be afraid that Ebola is going to cause the kind of outbreaks we’ve seen in Africa here. Not so. It doesn’t spread easily. Casual contact isn’t enough to spread it. And it doesn’t really spread through the respiratory route. With good infection control for the patients, it shouldn’t spread.” —Professor Morse

It doesn't spread easy?  Please, we all know it's as transmittable as the flu or the chickenpox.  One guy with Ebola gets on a city bus and we're all goners, within days.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FALSE: An outbreak similar to what’s happening in Africa could easily happen in the United States.

"In the industrialized world, people may be afraid that Ebola is going to cause the kind of outbreaks we’ve seen in Africa here. Not so. It doesn’t spread easily. Casual contact isn’t enough to spread it. And it doesn’t really spread through the respiratory route. With good infection control for the patients, it shouldn’t spread.” —Professor Morse

It doesn't spread easy?  Please, we all know it's as transmittable as the flu or the chickenpox.  One guy with Ebola gets on a city bus and we're all goners, within days.  

View Quote

Read the red, then look at this picture.

if it does not spread through casual contact, then why are the doctors dressed like this, to give water to a patient.

If the narrative was that under casual contact, the disease could not sustain at epidemic levels, I could accept that, but the narrative is that you can not contract ebola through casual contact.

How much non-casual contact do these people think they will get with a patient wrapped in plastic?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#13]
After reading this thread and getting some good lols,  I have come to the conclusion that some arfcommers are humongous cowards. I'm pretty sure by this point a few of you are actually at a large risk of heart attack due to Ebola panic lol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS. they aren't engaging in casual contact they are dealing with 100's of patients a day in all stages of the disease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/06e1b800605fa126f3908a4d96801e9c_zps1b60f205.jpg

if it does not spread through casual contact, then why are the doctors dressed like this, to give water to a patient.

If the narrative was that under casual contact, the disease could not sustain at epidemic levels, I could accept that, but the narrative is that you can not contract ebola through casual contact.

How much non-casual contact do these people think they will get with a patient wrapped in plastic?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/249284bd09a7b7fcd92bc1eacc9f9bf2_zpsfadd422b.jpg

UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS. they aren't engaging in casual contact they are dealing with 100's of patients a day in all stages of the disease.

the people in the US transporting the doctor, delt with one patient.

The risk is zero, but they wear space suits with self contained air.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#17]

I am not freaking out at all. I just want the truth.

Based on training and experience I question what I am told when I see inconsistency between the words and the actions..

Obviously casual contact has a very low infection rate or africa would be dead by now, but I do not believe that rate is zero based on what I see.

Casual contact is shaking hands = can not catch it.
Laying on of hands to heal is a primary transmission of EVD.

I don't see a lot of difference here, unless the laying on of hands includes swishing your fingers around in blood and then liking your fingers.

Maybe I have no idea how stupid and unhygienic africa is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

because in is currently pretty well contained TO THAT REGION. the outlying areas so far have had minimal exposures and to this point have done a fair job managing it. uncontained means we'd have active cases over the entire continent and most other locations. That is simply not the case... yet. Yes it could happen but i still believe those odds are very low.

We are lucky in the regard that this area is not a high traffic region for tourists and business or even much for exports. if you look at the map posted above and track the actual active areas in the regions you will notice that while the disease has affected a pretty wide area, the bulk of the cases so far are actually not that spread out and are still primarily in a small region of the affected area. That does not mean the gov or healthcare system has it contained by any policy<they don't>, simply that the disease itself through location , luck, mother nature, act of god  etc... is not moving much beyond the region. That can certainly change and if things continue to degrade it will change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a link to his Sept 5 article scroll down the page a bit.  Pretty much tracks the WHO reports since the 5th.  Without airborne mutation.  It's a mathematical exercise based upon reported numbers.  He predicts 20,000 cases by Oct 24.

While you seem to have a good working knowledge of biology, and use the English language well, I wonder what exactly your angle of obfuscation is when you use phrases such as "so long as it continues to be contained"".....
.There are NO credible  reports of Ebola being contained to ANY particular area, nation or continent.

because in is currently pretty well contained TO THAT REGION. the outlying areas so far have had minimal exposures and to this point have done a fair job managing it. uncontained means we'd have active cases over the entire continent and most other locations. That is simply not the case... yet. Yes it could happen but i still believe those odds are very low.

We are lucky in the regard that this area is not a high traffic region for tourists and business or even much for exports. if you look at the map posted above and track the actual active areas in the regions you will notice that while the disease has affected a pretty wide area, the bulk of the cases so far are actually not that spread out and are still primarily in a small region of the affected area. That does not mean the gov or healthcare system has it contained by any policy<they don't>, simply that the disease itself through location , luck, mother nature, act of god  etc... is not moving much beyond the region. That can certainly change and if things continue to degrade it will change.

With the lack of infrastructure, govt control, and communication, how can authorities even know that outlying areas have no cases?

They are overwhelmed, reducing further any ability to know what is really going on in those areas.

I am not sure that is an accurate assumption.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With the lack of infrastructure, govt control, and communication, how can authorities even know that outlying areas have no cases?
View Quote

They don't even claim to have accurate information on the total number of cases (which is why the WHO has stated that the real number could be two to four times greater than the number reported in "hard hit" areas). When the number of cases isn't known, it isn't possible to know the locations of each case.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

dude we wore that gear dealing with anything that was a communicable disease in or out of bio labs. it's not only smart, it's policy by most facilities. that gear is much cheaper than the medical bills for an employee. it's about lowering risk.

as for the patient, it not only reduces the infection potential it also make decon of the equipment much easier. less chance of missing something and less time out of service.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/06e1b800605fa126f3908a4d96801e9c_zps1b60f205.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/249284bd09a7b7fcd92bc1eacc9f9bf2_zpsfadd422b.jpg

the people in the US transporting the doctor, delt with one patient.

The risk is zero, but they wear space suits with self contained air.

dude we wore that gear dealing with anything that was a communicable disease in or out of bio labs. it's not only smart, it's policy by most facilities. that gear is much cheaper than the medical bills for an employee. it's about lowering risk.

as for the patient, it not only reduces the infection potential it also make decon of the equipment much easier. less chance of missing something and less time out of service.

What risk is being reduced and what infection potential is being reduced if there is no risk of infection due to casual contact?

Do you not see the inconsistency here?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:Maybe I have no idea how stupid and unhygienic africa is.
View Quote

Ding, ding, ding.

Subsaharan Africa has been a dirty shithole since the begging of time. Any cent spent on that place is a cent wasted.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

laying of hands tends to be longer sustained contact, and contact with many parts of the body that tend to be sweaty and less prone to cleaning than our hands. and yes shaking hands with an ebola patient can certainly lead to exposure. ANY contact with fluids such as sweat will expose you. That is one of the bad parts of ebola. it takes a VERY small amount of the virus to cause an infection.
also consider the fact of no A/C or even power in many locations in a hot environment and people sweat.. they sweat A LOT.

the part in red really is a major issue there.

and i don't think your freaking out. You have valid concerns and have raised some great questions. this stuff is scary, even more so when you see the pics and have no real frame of reference for the what and why behind them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not freaking out at all. I just want the truth.

Based on training and experience I question what I am told when I see inconsistency between the words and the actions..

Obviously casual contact has a very low infection rate or africa would be dead by now, but I do not believe that rate is zero based on what I see.

Casual contact is shaking hands = can not catch it.
Laying on of hands to heal is a primary transmission of EVD.

I don't see a lot of difference here, unless the laying on of hands includes swishing your fingers around in blood and then liking your fingers.

Maybe I have no idea how stupid and unhygienic africa is.

laying of hands tends to be longer sustained contact, and contact with many parts of the body that tend to be sweaty and less prone to cleaning than our hands. and yes shaking hands with an ebola patient can certainly lead to exposure. ANY contact with fluids such as sweat will expose you. That is one of the bad parts of ebola. it takes a VERY small amount of the virus to cause an infection.
also consider the fact of no A/C or even power in many locations in a hot environment and people sweat.. they sweat A LOT.

the part in red really is a major issue there.

and i don't think your freaking out. You have valid concerns and have raised some great questions. this stuff is scary, even more so when you see the pics and have no real frame of reference for the what and why behind them.

so shaking hands is in fact more than casual contact?

Ok, then that was a major misunderstanding on my part, the definition of casual contact.  To me people do that all day long, I thought shaking hands was casual contact. So casual contact is actually no physical contact?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

they don't know exact numbers but knowing affected areas is not hard to map. 1 case equals affected area. you will notice the map above also lists "suspected but not confirmed" locations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't even claim to have accurate information on the total number of cases (which is why the WHO has stated that the real number could be two to four times greater than the number reported in "hard hit" areas). When the number of cases isn't known, it isn't possible to know the locations of each case.

they don't know exact numbers but knowing affected areas is not hard to map. 1 case equals affected area. you will notice the map above also lists "suspected but not confirmed" locations.

You've taken "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" to the point of absurdity and are now attempting to deny logic.

A case which is unknown can be anywhere, which includes the possibility that it has occurred in an area where the disease has not previously been reported. In such event, both the case and the LOCATION would be, by definition UNKNOWN.

Your map shows the location of reported cases. It cannot show the location of unreported cases.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ding, ding, ding.

Subsaharan Africa has been a dirty shithole since the begging of time. Any cent spent on that place is a cent wasted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Maybe I have no idea how stupid and unhygienic africa is.

Ding, ding, ding.

True...but then we get quotes like this:

FALSE: Open and outdated sewage systems account for why the disease is spreading so quickly in third world, African countries.
“Nobody I know of has ever gotten Ebola from the water, even in these resource-limited countries. …And the sewage systems probably have little effect on the occurrence of disease.” —Professor Morse

Shithole helping or not? lol  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

this is healthcare in africa guys. this is a MAJOR part of why things are bad.

View Quote

Yep, and this is why this outbreak will remain almost entirely in the third world.  Modern healthcare can deal with this just fine.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, and this is why this outbreak will remain almost entirely in the third world.  Modern healthcare can deal with this just fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is healthcare in africa guys. this is a MAJOR part of why things are bad.

no it wont. none of the data given to me for our protocols gave me hope of standardized treatment in a large hospital with normal universal precautions (beds 500-1200) without staff infection. we do not have the quarantine beds and specialized facilities to handle more than 30 cases or so in the US.(based on 5-6 facilities with 3-10 bio quarantine beds in each one). it is killing people in Nigerian hospitals and alot of their facilities are modernized.

if you read the ASCP journal article on the manpower needed for one patient alone you will see the strain put on normal healthcare.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#32]
on a  side note I recieved a letter from a government agency ordering a Safety Stand Down for all laboratories under their jurisdiction for the following:

Cleaning of all areas and to catalog for any unregistered Biological Select Agents and Toxins ( BSAT)
Review all procedures for Biosafety, Biosecurity and inventory management
Brainstorm with employees toenhance biosecurity
Conduct facility biosafety training sessions
complete safety assessments or mock emergency response activities

this is the first time I have ever seen a letter like this from a .Gov Agency and I have been with the laboratory 15 years and owner for 10 of those years.

alot of stuff to be concerned about right now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#36]
It's like this... African "hospitals" often make the public restroom at the truck stop look like five star resorts. They tend to be short on the most basic medicines and supplies and have no clean or running water. Let's say a patient with food poisoning comes in, and they put him in a bed with sheets that still have blood from a dead ebola patient on it. There's a good chance that food poisoning turns into ebola. Then Mr. Food Poisoning is close to death and starts vomiting all over the place and crapping himself. There's not enough soap and water to sanitize everything properly and suddenly a nurse has his ebola.

It goes beyond the poverty though. Lots of it is cultural. Many Africans think their witch doctor hocus pocus is scientific and that western science is just a hocus pocus scam. Instead of taking a guy with ebola to the hospital they take him to the local witch doctor, who starts performing ceremonies. Those might include lots of touching and even kissing of the patient. Basic hygiene is ignored because the cactus god or whatever is going to keep them safe. There's a good chance all those people are going to get ebola.

There was even a story of people in Liberia storming an ebola clinic and looting it, including running off with bloody sheets and dirty equipment. They think ebola is just a hoax. I wonder how many of them have it now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

concerned yes, shitting ourselves no.

this is also the first time in 15 years you have seen potential samples of something like ebola being run by anything outside of specific labs. that i suspect is much more planing and precaution than OH SHIT EBOLA IS LOOSE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
on a  side note I recieved a letter from a government agency ordering a Safety Stand Down for all laboratories under their jurisdiction for the following:

Cleaning of all areas and to catalog for any unregistered Biological Select Agents and Toxins ( BSAT)

this is the first time I have ever seen a letter like this from a .Gov Agency and I have been with the laboratory 15 years and owner for 10 of those years.

this is also the first time in 15 years you have seen potential samples of something like ebola being run by anything outside of specific labs. that i suspect is much more planing and precaution than OH SHIT EBOLA IS LOOSE

since this is a Homeland Security deal, they are far more worried about Terroristic uses of Biologics. everything about the letter pointed to this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the samples only went to CDC or similar special facilities.

What are "specific labs"?

I hope they limit those samples to competent laboratories that take adequate precautions,.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

currently yes. my feeling is that this pre planning in the event we have an issue. prior planning and precautions in place. haven't seen the memo don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the samples only went to CDC or similar special facilities.

What are "specific labs"?

I hope they limit those samples to competent laboratories that take adequate precautions,.

currently yes. my feeling is that this pre planning in the event we have an issue. prior planning and precautions in place. haven't seen the memo don't know.

I would presume that any hospital set up for an ebola patient would have a laboratory facility with similar precautions.

It's not like you'd hand a few vials of blood to the Fedex guy and say, "Here, try to get this to Atlanta."

Found it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't seen a update from the WHO in four days.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#44]
"Obama says the outbreak is now an unprecedented epidemic that threatens global security and is spiraling out of control. But he says chances the outbreak will spread into the U.S. are "extremely low.""

The One says it so everyone can calm down......right?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Obama is committing more US troops to W. Africa (3,000)  than he is to Iraq.

I wouldn't trade one American life for hundreds of ....  Never mind.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey...22 ammo....will be....
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Obama is committing more US troops to W. Africa (3,000)  than he is to Iraq.

I wouldn't trade one American life for hundreds of ....  Never mind.
View Quote

too late, the decision has been made already, at the highest levels. Highest levels..........
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I think we should acknowledge TBS as the voice of experience and reason ITT and demand that he

KNOCK IT OFF RIGHT NOW!

What a funsucker...

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 53
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top