Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2014 11:34:47 PM EDT
Molecular Evolution professor pce's out to some infectious disease conference for the week, and instead of getting a guest lecturer, he hands up a few papers to read to pass the time. This is one of them.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/345/6202/1369.full.pdf

In short, samples were taken from patients from the current outbreak and compared to those in previous outbreaks. The samples were genetically analyzed through the black magic that we can do, and then compared. The results point to the virus in the current outbreak being a direct descendent of the one in 2008 (which was assumed). The results also show how much the virus has mutated since 2008 (not that much). Most surprisingly, the results show how much the virus has mutated since the start of the outbreak, and it has a shitload. Far more than expected. For some reason the virus mutates more rapidly in us than it's natural carrier.

Basically, if Africa can't get it's shit together, we're all fucked.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
eventually
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, GD promised me I could leave my moms basement and use my tier 1 operator gear in a gunfight for the apocalypse.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Has it become airborne yet? I can't even imagine something as disturbing then Ebola if it was airborne
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Huh, they haven't gotten it together since Olduvai Gorge, I think we've got a while.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Molecular Evolution professor pce's out to some infectious disease conference for the week, and instead of getting a guest lecturer, he hands up a few papers to read to pass the time. This is one of them.

In short, samples were taken from patients from the current outbreak and compared to those in previous outbreaks. The samples were genetically analyzed through the black magic that we can do, and then compared. The results point to the virus in the current outbreak being a direct descendent of the one in 2008 (which was assumed). The results also show how much the virus has mutated since 2008 (not that much). Most surprisingly, the results show how much the virus has mutated since the start of the outbreak, and it has a shitload. Far more than expected. For some reason the virus mutates more rapidly in us than it's natural carrier.

View Quote

I wonder how HIV/AIDS plays into it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intrahost mutations being favored/influenced by other viruses is a whole other fucking mess.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Intrahost mutations being favored/influenced by other viruses is a whole other fucking mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rad.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I won't be worried until Madagascar shuts down everything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part II
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm... like what they said in Armageddon, the ultimate killer, the end of mankind.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I won't be worried until Madagascar shuts down everything.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My half sister is in Atlanta at the CDC taking classes on what things are going to be like when she gets to Africa. She's saying it's really bad.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My half sister is in Atlanta at the CDC taking classes on what things are going to be like when she gets to Africa. She's saying it's really bad.
View Quote

You know whats fucked? The paper was written on August 5th. At that point there were 1229 deaths. Almost at 2300 now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#14]

It's just like the gypsy woman said.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You know whats fucked? The paper was written on August 5th. At that point there were 1229 deaths. Almost at 2300 now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup and we will just keep letting flights with passengers originating from that area into the country.  Makes perfect sence to me.

And with the ISIS threat going around, how hard would it be to weaponise that stuff....we would be looking at a pretty serious problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yup and we will just keep letting flights with passengers originating from that area into the country.  Makes perfect sence to me.

And with the ISIS threat going around, how hard would it be to weaponise that stuff....we would be looking at a pretty serious problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weaponize? Pretty hard. Send someone over to purposely contract it and then spread blood/mucus all over door handles/stair railings/subway bars? Pretty easy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Weaponize? Pretty hard. Send someone over to purposely contract it and then spread blood/mucus all over door handles/stair railings/subway bars? Pretty easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup and we will just keep letting flights with passengers originating from that area into the country. Makes perfect sence to me.

OK, so its not something that could intentionally be turned into an airborne without a TON of work?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OK, so its not something that could intentionally be turned into an airborne without a TON of work?
View Quote

It would take a very large amount of knowledge and a pretty good chunk of time. Part of deliberately weaponizing something is knowing exactly what does what (how specific genes impact the disease). It would take a lot of work to do that, especially seeing how we don't even have that down yet. The thing about nature though is that completely randomly, without any tinkering, and those changes can cause advancements like becoming airborne. The fact that intra-host mutations are occurring relatively rapidly and that the rate of transmission is staying close to exponential means that such mutations will occur exponentially as well. If it continues at it's current rate, it's only a matter of time before it gets out of hand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#20]
They say life began in Africa......fitting for Africa to start the ending process too
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I guarantee it
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#22]
FPNI.

Read some material over the weekend about the UN taking over the lead role in this African outbreak and what they "might" have to do if this thing reaches large population centers.

Wonder who has the balls to nuke this from space when the choice is 200 million today verses 6 Billion tomorrow?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
eventually
View Quote

You can't dispute that post.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I postulated that when this this started to take off.

Immune system action can act like darwin process of natural selection.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Its simple create a quarantine around Africa no boats or planes in or out. Leave a nice whole to leave towards the Mideast Ebola should fix a lot of the problems there, then we just nuke the place to save humanity.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Scary when they seem to have nothing that can stop this thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#27]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Daughter works in large metro ER as an RN...stated this am...first case come to her ER SHE IS WALKING OUT...QUITING RIGHT THERE coming home after decon and not going back...we have plans to shelter in place at family farm...if it goes airborne and some have said it has this is a world changing event...God help us all...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#29]
E.L.E.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Fuck it, I'm just in this one to watch the stupid.

Insert popcorn.gif here
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Has it become airborne yet? I can't even imagine something as disturbing then Ebola if it was airborne
View Quote

I was reading an article last week, can't remeber the exact article, that said that scientists fear that this strain could mutate into an airborne form very quickly at the rate it is currently mutating.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Grave danger?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm holding out for mosquito-borne ebolas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For some reason the virus mutates more rapidly in us than it's natural carrier.

View Quote

What is its natural carrier and will some dumbass please quit screwing it or drinking its blood?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Meh, we need to thin the herd.

Quoted:
Daughter works in large metro ER as an RN...stated this am...first case come to her ER SHE IS WALKING OUT...QUITING RIGHT THERE coming home after decon and not going back...we have plans to shelter in place at family farm...if it goes airborne and some have said it has this is a world changing event...God help us all...
View Quote

You can run, but you can't........................ etc.

In the 1918 influenza pandemic people in the remote Canadian northwest, Alaska, contracted the virus.

Quoted:

View Quote

saturation bombing using infected Africans. piece a cake.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#36]
What they're not telling us is that they're all really just playing Plague Inc. on their phones
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Why yes...yes we are. Ain't none of us getting out of this motherfucker alive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#38]

We need to vaporize Africa before it's too late.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FPNI.

Read some material over the weekend about the UN taking over the lead role in this African outbreak and what they "might" have to do if this thing reaches large population centers.

Wonder who has the balls to nuke this from space when the choice is 200 million today verses 6 Billion tomorrow?
View Quote

Answer: NOBODY will do that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
as far as weaponization....

ebola doesn't need to be airborne for that. what is needs is specific changes in it's ability to survive outside a host. it could easily be introduced into a mass location via spray or "dirty bomb" method.

the problem is in order to make such thing you really need some expensive facilities and equipment along with some rather specific knowledge. the cost of the project is simply just to high for the return vs car bombs and such.

then there is the how do you claim the land when it's contaminated after it's over.
View Quote

Suicide bomber that is infected.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Neat stuff.

The last I heard was that this latest outbreak has seen a lot of human-to-human transmission in comparison to prior outbreaks.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Neat stuff.

The last I heard was that this latest outbreak has seen a lot of human-to-human transmission in comparison to prior outbreaks.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ebola-meme-240x180.jpg
View Quote

Holy fuck I just spit my lunch on my keyboard.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I shouldn't laugh, but if you search google images for "ebola memes" it is a gold mine of hilarity.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat stuff.

What I've read in medical journals is that if you are an inviting, and welcoming host, the ebola virus will let you off easy.  It's the bitchy, inhospitable hosts that end up doing all of the disgusting eye hemorrhaging stuff.

My plan is to simply reason with this intelligent and evolving virus, and simply be a good host.  So, I've brought out the horns and rolled out the welcome mat. I also ordered some monkeys off eBay.  They'll be here Thursday.

Much better to battle this known ebola virus today in its current form, and build immunity, than trying to battle the super-evolved, stronger ebola virus of the future.

Not my fault y'all don't have a plan.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What I've read in medical journals is that if you are an inviting, and welcoming host, the ebola virus will let you off easy.  It's the bitchy, inhospitable hosts that end up doing all of the disgusting eye hemorrhaging stuff.

My plan is to simply reason with this intelligent and evolving virus, and simply be a good host.  So, I've brought out the horns and rolled out the welcome mat. I also ordered some monkeys off eBay.  They'll be here Thursday.

Much better to battle this known ebola virus today in its current form, and build immunity, than trying to battle the super-evolved, stronger ebola virus of the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat stuff.

I hear monkey meat tastes wonderful this time of year.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
as far as weaponization....

ebola doesn't need to be airborne for that. what is needs is specific changes in it's ability to survive outside a host. it could easily be introduced into a mass location via spray or "dirty bomb" method.

the problem is in order to make such thing you really need some expensive facilities and equipment along with some rather specific knowledge. the cost of the project is simply just to high for the return vs car bombs and such.

then there is the how do you claim the land when it's contaminated after it's over.
View Quote

Marburg. I don't know how effective would have been, but the Soviets did weaponize it.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/intro/bio-marburg.htm
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat stuff.

That would certainly account for the exorbitant Buy-it-Now prices.

Crazy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top