BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 116
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Law enforcement officers and military members are prohibited from owning post 86 machine guns.  They are issued machine guns that are owned by the agency or military branch they are employed by as part of their job.  

Republican lawmakers are not really enthusiastic about generally available legal machine guns either.  This is a huge long shot.  If it gets anywhere expect legislation prohibiting trusts from acquiring NFA items. Trusts are a little known loophole to background checks for firearms ownership.  If there is publicity on this case, expect that to be shut off right away.  This case could destroy the use of trusts to avoid CLEO signatures and kill NFA access for millions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Based on the shitty explanation they have in the letter, what would happen if someone that was not prohibited from possessing a post-86 was the trustee (like someone in the military, police department, SOT, etc)?

Law enforcement officers and military members are prohibited from owning post 86 machine guns.  They are issued machine guns that are owned by the agency or military branch they are employed by as part of their job.  

Republican lawmakers are not really enthusiastic about generally available legal machine guns either.  This is a huge long shot.  If it gets anywhere expect legislation prohibiting trusts from acquiring NFA items. Trusts are a little known loophole to background checks for firearms ownership.  If there is publicity on this case, expect that to be shut off right away.  This case could destroy the use of trusts to avoid CLEO signatures and kill NFA access for millions.

Trusts are not loopholes there Obama.  Stop referring to them as such.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have we hit some sort of page limit on the thread?  I notice that the last post keeps changing but it never rolls over to page 82.  Also if you use Pg 82 in the URL, it will show you the last post (same as the last post on pg 81).
View Quote

Occasional server zombies
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Based on the shitty explanation they have in the letter, what would happen if someone that was not prohibited from possessing a post-86 was the trustee (like someone in the military, police department, SOT, etc)?

For the last time, trusts DO NOT give a buyer a way around having a background check run.

FFLs still do a point-of-sale NICS check on the trasferee acting on behalf of the trust,  and if you think that people at the ATF/NFA Branch aren't doing their own background checks prior to approving a Form 4/Form 1, you're fucking high.

I've personally seen Form 4s come back with a big red stamp across it saying "denied, transferee is a prohibited person".  The FFL hadn't run the NICS check yet, so how did the ATF come by that information I wonder.......?

Now you could add people who couldn't pass a background check to your trust after the fact, but then that person (and most likely the trust itself) would be in clear violation of federal law; no different than if a felon bought a gun through a friend,  stole it, or built one themselves on a drill press with a jig.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread has nothing important updated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have we hit some sort of page limit on the thread?  I notice that the last post keeps changing but it never rolls over to page 82.  Also if you use Pg 82 in the URL, it will show you the last post (same as the last post on pg 81).

glitch in the matrix
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This thread has nothing important updated.
View Quote

The next update to the OP will happen when it's something significant like legal action or where to send money the legal fund.

If there's anything that anyone thinks should be added, PM me.

I'm also editing the thread title with a date that corresponds with the latest update.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For the last time, trusts DO NOT give a buyer a way around having a background check run.

FFLs still do a point-of-sale NICS check on the trasferee acting on behalf of the trust,  and if you think that people at the ATF/NFA Branch aren't doing their own background checks prior to approving a Form 4/Form 1, you're fucking high.

I've personally seen Form 4s come back with a big red stamp across it saying "denied, transferee is a prohibited person".  The FFL hadn't run the NICS check yet, so how did the ATF come by that information I wonder.......?

Now you could add people who couldn't pass a background check to your trust after the fact, but then that person (and most likely the trust itself) would be in clear violation of federal law; no different than if a felon bought a gun through a friend,  stole it, or built one themselves on a drill press with a jig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my SMG with a Trust from an in-state owner. There was no NICS check done on me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought my SMG with a Trust from an in-state owner. There was no NICS check done on me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By mboylan:

Quoted:

FFLs still do a point-of-sale NICS check on the transferee acting on behalf of the trust,  and if you think that people at the ATF/NFA Branch aren't doing their own background checks prior to approving a Form 4/Form 1, you're fucking high.

Just like any Title I firearm or if you had bought it personally, w/o a trust.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
If anyone wants to know how much munya the BATF makes off NFA Tax Stamps, look at their PDF, Page 11 to be specific: https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/firearms/050412-firearms-commerce-in-the-us-annual-statistical-update-2012.pdf

So for 2011:

$9,576,000 from Transfer and Making Tax Paid

$2,952,000 from Occupational Tax Paid

For 2011:

Form 1 = 5,477

Form 2 = 530,953

Form 3 = 107,066

Form 4 = 33,816

Form 5 = 147,341

Form 9 = 311,214

Total = 1,135,867
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my previous statement.

When those Form 4/Form 1 apps come in, they know who you are/what you've got on your record before granting approval.

You may or may not end up having a "point of sale" check, but rest assured, individuals and trustees alike have had applications denied without a point-of-sale NICS check---meaning, the NFA branch must have someone, somewhere running background checks on every Form 1/Form 4.

If they aren't doing background checks on the forms when they come in for approval,  explain this to me:

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Fucking ATF just sent me someone else's form 1 with a disapproval letter addressed to me.  Lord knows where my form 1 went.

If you live on Gun Club Road, pm me and I'll get your form to you.  
View Quote
Update: Got a text last night from someone else who received my Form 1.  They're mailing it to me.

Whenever dealing with the ATF, I just have to keep reciting Hanlon's Razor in my head.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Update: Got a text last night from someone else who received my Form 1.  They're mailing it to me.

Whenever dealing with the ATF, I just have to keep reciting Hanlon's Razor in my head.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking ATF just sent me someone else's form 1 with a disapproval letter addressed to me.  Lord knows where my form 1 went.

Wow! Thats nuts. Glad you got it sorted though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Machine guns held on a Form 5 by state and local LE agencies - and any held by SOT 02s or 3s in IL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure if this is related or useful in any way but I just wanted to throw it out there for the lawyers so it doesn't get overlooked:

In Illinois, you have to have a C&R to get a SBR issued, anyone who has inquired about putting a C&R on a trust, in order to then get SBR's on a trust, has been denied since it is not a person and cannot hold a one. To me that says that they aren't only applying the trust is not a person mantra in one place and should strengthen the case that they can't have it both ways.

I'd also like some insight to this, post. I was forced to go individual route after trust's were approved at first I had to re-engrave two lowers after having my trust info done the first time.At any rate I know Illinois has at least 15,000 machine guns registered here (http://chartsbin.com/view/1922) HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? Can a trust hold a machine gun in IL notice the law says a "PERSON" not anything about a trust lol. If there is anyone in IL with a registered MG on a trust in this forum please advise as to how I can own one?

Machine guns held on a Form 5 by state and local LE agencies - and any held by SOT 02s or 3s in IL?

What I'm just trying to get clarification on is does anyone here know or do they themselves own a MG registered in IL on a trust or individual form 1 or 4.  I understand 02/07 and 01/03 SOT's own them and of course LE agencies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  
View Quote

Seriously,  a "post 86 machine gun litigation" thread needs to start when you info bomb us.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  
View Quote

I'm all up in the crazy train. Bring it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  
View Quote

fuck yea...lets do this!!!! **inserts mag, racks weapon, and puts sunglasses on******
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  

Seriously,  a "post 86 machine gun litigation" thread needs to start when you info bomb us.

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.

Are these all with the same Plaintiff?  Do you have any in the "approved / not built" category?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.

Awesome.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.

Hells yeah!

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

different.  yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.

Are these all with the same Plaintiff?  Do you have any in the "approved / not built" category?

different.  yes.

All in the same circuit?  Or different ones?

Or if you'd rather not divulge I understand.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#26]
OP update

ETA 10/7/14:

From Page 82:

Quoted:

Lawsuit #3 in the works.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.

maybe i have missed this, but how is funding working on this?  

Which/what court are you filing in?

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teasers continue:

Another step closer.  

I will.

Lawsuit #3 in the works.

The details on funding are still being worked out.  An update will be posted in the OP when we have everything in order.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same.  Same.  Different.  All different states though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love you.

No homo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I love you.

No homo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love you.

No homo.

Legends will tell of a legendary lawyer, who's legendary skills were the stuff of legend... /Kung Fu Nolo

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Again, I'm in for $100 minimum.

Can't wait to see where this goes. It's worth a shot just to finally get to fight back. At least we're putting up a fight.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

KS?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Legends will tell of a legendary lawyer, who's legendary skills were the stuff of legend... /Kung Fu Nolo

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love you.

No homo.

Ok I just spewed Canada Dry all over my work computer. Thanks

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Ok I just spewed Canada Dry all over my work computer. Thanks  
View Quote
You are welcome.

However, my humorous point has a serious side. This is the kind of thing that can get your name added to the History books.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
So, out of curiosity, any way to go after the whole registry due to equal protection of the law?

Felons cannot be charged with unregistered machine guns due to Haynes v. United States.  Everyone else is being treated unfairly as the laws do not apply to a specific class of people.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm a Linux/Unix guy. I like recursive acronyms.

NFA Freedom Association

Abbreviated either (recursively) as "NFA" or fully as "NFAFA".... FA, full auto, free America...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that the best option would be the reverse of what you proposed.

Funds -> Foundation -> Attorneys

That allows for the most flexibility, multiple concurrent efforts, and any funds that are raised in excess of actual costs could be put toward further efforts to chip away at (or obliterate) the NFA, GCA, and Hughes.

(This is just my opinion and is subject to being wrong)  

This sounds like the founding of an NFA centric organizaton along the lines of the GOA  

THE NFA REPEAL FOUNDATION  "Our Mission Is Our Name"

It's got a nice ring to it.

I'm a Linux/Unix guy. I like recursive acronyms.

NFA Freedom Association

Abbreviated either (recursively) as "NFA" or fully as "NFAFA".... FA, full auto, free America...

I guess someone was listening.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1673930
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Can we please avoid Bit Coins.  Let's keep the donations and standards of money involved in line with existing US laws while also avoiding the concerns of bit coin hacks/lost coinage and value fluctuations.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in for $100 too, I would also like a recommendation for a lawyer that specializes in NFA trusts if possible. I'm in Michigan and didn't want to leave it up to a google search. Thank you all for working on this!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Can we please avoid Bit Coins.  Let's keep the donations and standards of money involved in line with existing US laws while also avoiding the concerns of bit coin hacks/lost coinage and value fluctuations.

Thanks

Wes
View Quote
Yeah don't do it in pesos either.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:06:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks
Wes
View Quote

None of those things are concerns at all with Bitcoin, if set up properly. I've already volunteered to do that.

Why on Earth would you refuse donations?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If anyone has ideas on crowd funding sites or how to get donations set up (still not asking yet), please PM me.  I am looking at various websites to crowd fund this bad boy and fundraising it not my forte.
View Quote

Nolo, the big three or four crowd funding sites specifically preclude fundraising for firearms related ventures.

Maybe there are some smaller ones out there that are 2A friendly, though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Bumping for hope.  :D
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nolo, the big three or four crowd funding sites specifically preclude fundraising for firearms related ventures.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone has ideas on crowd funding sites or how to get donations set up (still not asking yet), please PM me.  I am looking at various websites to crowd fund this bad boy and fundraising it not my forte.

I bet ya Choke Point and the Democrats have something to do with that as to how that happen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So, out of curiosity, any way to go after the whole registry due to equal protection of the law?

Felons cannot be charged with unregistered machine guns due to Haynes v. United States.  Everyone else is being treated unfairly as the laws do not apply to a specific class of people.

View Quote

Contrary to popular belief, equal protection of the law does not require the government to treat everyone the same.
If it did you could practice law and I could practice medicine.
Equal protection of the law requires that the law treat similarly situated persons in the same way.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly. GoFundMe prohibits "The purchase, transfer, or exchange of weapons of any kind including guns, knives, explosives and ammunition."

"The GoFundMe Team is comprised of members with many different beliefs and views on all issues. Our team feels very strongly that participating in any of the legal activities listed in the prohibited items list is perfectly within a person’s rights as they apply to their own individual lives. For example, GoFundMe does not allow fundraising campaigns that directly fund the purchase of a firearm. In doing so, however, GoFundMe takes no position on a person’s legal right to own a gun. The same argument can be made for any of the legal activities included in the prohibited items list.

In many cases, campaigns relating to, but not directly funding any of the prohibited activities listed below, will remain permissible. Adding to the above example, a campaign that is funding a book about gun history, or a group interested in attending a firearms conference will be permitted since the specific purposes of either campaign does not involve the purchase of a gun."

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Got a letter in the mail from the ATF further stating why my Eform 1 was disapproved. Anyone else get this?

I was like    when I saw it b/c I thought it was a stamp...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Got a letter in the mail from the ATF further stating why my Eform 1 was disapproved. Anyone else get this?

View Quote

Got it last week.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Got it last week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it last week.

Me too.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Late to the game.  Is this for trusts only, no LLCs?

Page / 116
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top