BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Try closer to 18 a day ..... 365 days a year. (6500)

One LEO here on ARFCOM said last week that he as "lost count" on how many he as shot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that 7+ dogs are shot every day, 365 days in a row, by LEO.

Try closer to 18 a day ..... 365 days a year. (6500)

One LEO here on ARFCOM said last week that he as "lost count" on how many he as shot.

Link to that thread/post?

Before the mods BLM deletes it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Link to that thread/post?

Before the mods BLM deletes it?
View Quote

It was a drunk LEO doing a "ask me anything" thread about a week or week and a half ago. Someone asked (of course) if he ever shot a dog. He said he "lost count". (EDIT) I looked it up. He said "I stopped counting". Look at bottom of page 2.

Side note. I know a way to keep cops from killing all of our dogs. We just need to dress them up like these 24/7 from now on.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Here is the thread. He said "I stopped counting". Look near bottom of page 2.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1613565_Ask_a_veteran_LEO_with_multiple_OIS_anything_.htmlhttp://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1613565_Ask_a_veteran_LEO_with_multiple_OIS_anything_.html

LINK
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well I have never shot one and neither has anyone I work with for the time that I have been there.  Hell, I have been bitten and still didn't shoot.  What I have done though is seen many a Joe Public who mistreats, kills, and fails to take adequate care of their animals.  Maybe I should not respect the public at large anymore based on this?

With that said, it baffles me how ignorant some people are of dogs and how to approach and deal with them.  This is not limited to cops.  If they are that way as cops, they were that way before they were cops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if cops have any idea why people don't respect them anymore.

Well I have never shot one and neither has anyone I work with for the time that I have been there.  Hell, I have been bitten and still didn't shoot.  What I have done though is seen many a Joe Public who mistreats, kills, and fails to take adequate care of their animals.  Maybe I should not respect the public at large anymore based on this?

With that said, it baffles me how ignorant some people are of dogs and how to approach and deal with them.  This is not limited to cops.  If they are that way as cops, they were that way before they were cops.

This is far too reasonable and insightful

GTFO GD WIT DAT!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:47:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You got a link for that claim? I'd say that pretty much closes the case if you can provide proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop making excuses the autopsy said the dog was shot from behind.

You got a link for that claim? I'd say that pretty much closes the case if you can provide proof.

Per the vet's necropsy report.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont get the outcry.. it was an isolated incident ( likely the first time an LEO has ever shot a dog ) AND the officer went home safe its a win win...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is some serious sociopaths that become cops.
View Quote

+1,000,000

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
was this a problem 20 years ago?

if not why? what has changed?
View Quote

what happened?

more of the "we are the blue line attitude....we serve NO ONE"

I have lost all respect for LE due to the lack of action in weeding out the shit heads

if they are that scared of everything...maybe they should find a new line of work.

they are NOT Americans
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't matter what kind of dog it was. The autopsy states it was running away when shot. Cop was not bitten and the dog was running away. Certainly not the first time we've heard that story, and I can guaran-damn-tee it won't be the last. And the same old, tired, nonsensical excuses are trotted out, per routine.

"He was in fear for his life!"

Bullshit. Dog was running away and hadn't bitten him. If he was that damned terrified of a dog that he shot one that hadn't injured him and was running away, he has absolutely zero business being a cop.

"Do you just expect cops to allow themselves to be bitten??!?!"

Not really, no. BUT I also expect cops to realize that it is a risk that comes with the job. Mail handlers, UPS, FedEx, meter readers, dog groomers, veterinarians, animal control officers, repairmen, and countless other people in countless other professions face a daily risk of being bitten by dogs and don't run around lead bolusing every dog they encounter. Do I expect them to "allow" themselves to be bitten? No. But I do expect them to realize that it happens, it can happen to them, and that deadly force is not always (in fact very seldom) necessary in dealing with an aggressive dog. All those thousands of other people in other professions seem to manage it. Why can't the police?

We wonder why it is that gun control advocates think that the go-to response for people that carry will always be deadly force, but only so much of that is projection. They can see as well as we can the actions of officers that are always armed on the job. I very much understand that not every officer behaves this way, but obviously there are plenty that do. Other officers need to stop making excuses and start holding their fellow officers accountable.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cop shot my Dog 20 years ago, was happening then too.

I hope his prostate is the size of a grapefruit............

28 years in the field, met more dogs then 10 cops put together, OC sprayed exactly one the entire time and that was a cop dog that was not secured properly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a land surveyor , and as such , I'm in people's yards ....a lot. Like 3-4 times a week. I've lost count of how many dogs I've interacted with.

What the fuck is wrong with...." Hey puppy, good dog...." When interacting with a strange dog? I must be the greatest dog guy on the planet as I have a 100 % success rate with this approach.

Talk nicely to the dog...every time they end up wanting to be petted and the owner ends up having to keep the dog from bumping my instrument while I work asking to be petted more.

Last dog encounter ended with me having to walk the dog home, since she followed me for about a half mile down a rr bed .

The lady  took him inside so I wouldn't have to adopt her.

Fucking A  , this shit isn't rocket science

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]

I fear a day of reckoning is rapidly approaching.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a land surveyor , and as such , I'm in people's yards ....a lot. Like 3-4 times a week. I've lost count of how many dogs I've interacted with.

What the fuck is wrong with...." Hey puppy, good dog...." When interacting with a strange dog? I must be the greatest dog guy on the planet as I have a 100 % success rate with this approach.

Talk nicely to the dog...every time they end up wanting to be petted and the owner ends up having to keep the dog from bumping my instrument while I work asking to be petted more.

Last dog encounter ended with me having to walk the dog home, since she followed me for about a half mile down a rr bed .

The lady  took him inside so I wouldn't have to adopt him.

View Quote

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. When you have nothing to fear, your actions, over time, change dramatically.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Poor heeler......

My daughter would be bawling her eyes out if she saw this story.She loves heelers!

Truth be known... every heeler I've ever had has been reserved with people it didn't know and could have quite the attitude and be protective.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
That's a crappy day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#16]
WTF???

I have a Big GSD and once she out out and was running to the mail man

He turned around looked at her and said "Get Back In That House", She spun
around and headed back in. I stood there and laughed at how he handled her.

I have encountered many dogs in my life and have NEVER been bitten by them.

If you are in a profession that brings you around dogs and you are afraid of dogs.
Then you really need to find another profession that does not put you around dogs.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]
WTF this is getting out of hand. If the necropsy is correct and the dog was shot running away IMHO this officer should be charged.
FYI If you pull up on a farm and a dog runs up to the car barking and its not a emergency situation STAY in your car till the home owners come out.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. I work for a phone company and am on peoples property daily. Never been bit. Most dogs are all show until they check you out. Then they are your best friend.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Was this a problem 20 years ago?
View Quote

We had cops at work shoot dogs 20 years ago, more so than nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of these dog shoots are good shoots, but a majority seem not.

Cops are going to keep getting away with it.

Until they start shooting cats.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#21]
We had a women in town slit the throats of her 7 dogs before she slit her own throat. As far as I can recall shes has 7 more dog kills than my whole department in the last 15 years.

Now, deer on the other hand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I love my cattle dog more then the cops I work with.
View Quote

I loved my shower curtain more than the cops I worked with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#23]
How did I miss this thread.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not mine. All about how your raise and socialize them with other people, kids, dogs, cats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cattle dogs will bite your ass.

Gr

Not mine. All about how your raise and socialize them with other people, kids, dogs, cats.

The same thing could be said about police also.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you implying being bit should just be part of the job for mailmen and thus cops too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So only a sociopath can shoot a dog that's unsecured on a leash, showing it's teeth and moving towards you or a third party?
Otherwise...the officer should never shoot any animal, no matter the danger?

Dogs care a number of diseases (including rabies) which have no cure, including being able to kill you (depending upon the breed).
Secure your dogs and you won't have a problem.  Dogs are not people.  Neither are they intelligent enough to defend themselves.
They have instincts which have been passed down from generations which are to protect the home/owners.  That can be a real problem
if the owners are shitbags and the police have to enter the property of said shitbags.  The dog is going to know no different.

If you want to blame somebody, blame the stupid owners.  Police officers and firefighters don't get paid to be bit by any animal.  Especially animals
who haven't been properly vaccinated/cared for (as we know all the hooligans up in the hood are up to date on all of their dogs' vaccinations and such.
Nearly all of these things come back on the owner.

So please, keep your hyperbole to yourself.  Nearly any officer would shoot an aggressive dog off its leash or attacking another officer while in a suspect's home--especially if its a dog exhibiting weird behavior
which could be rabies.

How many mailmen are bitten by dogs every year?
How many die?
How many dogs are shot by mailmen?

Yeah. Somehow the "rain nor sleet nor dead of night" crowd can manage to interact with dogs every day without killing them, yet our fine LEO heros cannot manage?

Are you implying being bit should just be part of the job for mailmen and thus cops too?

My Grandfather was a Mailman and was bitten by a dogs. Guess what? He'll be 80 this year. Mailmen deliver mail. That's their job . A police Officer is supposed to police the law. Was shooting the dog part of his job? Don't think so. Even though my Grandfather just toughed it out as a consequence of his career field I suppose he should have just brained every dog that was aggressive towards him with rock. You signed up for it you know the risks. Going on to other peoples property and expecting dogs to act kindly towards you is nothing short of lunacy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#26]
The dearly departed. A well-known terror who bites LEOs for no reason.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My Grandfather was a Mailman and was bitten by a dogs. Guess what? He'll be 80 this year. Mailmen deliver mail. That's their job . A police Officer is supposed to police the law. Was shooting the dog part of his job? Don't think so. Even though my Grandfather just toughed it out as a consequence of his career field I suppose he should have just brained every dog that was aggressive towards him with rock. You signed up for it you know the risks. Going on to other peoples property and expecting dogs to act kindly towards you is nothing short of lunacy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So only a sociopath can shoot a dog that's unsecured on a leash, showing it's teeth and moving towards you or a third party?

Dogs care a number of diseases (including rabies) which have no cure, including being able to kill you (depending upon the breed).
Secure your dogs and you won't have a problem.  Dogs are not people.  Neither are they intelligent enough to defend themselves.
They have instincts which have been passed down from generations which are to protect the home/owners.  That can be a real problem
if the owners are shitbags and the police have to enter the property of said shitbags.  The dog is going to know no different.

If you want to blame somebody, blame the stupid owners.  Police officers and firefighters don't get paid to be bit by any animal.  Especially animals
who haven't been properly vaccinated/cared for (as we know all the hooligans up in the hood are up to date on all of their dogs' vaccinations and such.

So please, keep your hyperbole to yourself.  Nearly any officer would shoot an aggressive dog off its leash or attacking another officer while in a suspect's home--especially if its a dog exhibiting weird behavior
which could be rabies.

How many die?

Yeah. Somehow the "rain nor sleet nor dead of night" crowd can manage to interact with dogs every day without killing them, yet our fine LEO heros cannot manage?

Umm Ok.  So let me get this clear in relation to my previous question.  Do you believe cops should not be able to defend themselves against possible dog bites to include shooting them when it may be necessary?  That they should just have to take it as it were as part of doing the job?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

which could be rabies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

So, now it's all the dog owners fault?????  Just damn.... Congratulations, your comment has got to be at the top of the list for stupid posts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Umm Ok.  So let me get this clear in relation to my previous question.  Do you believe cops should not be able to defend themselves against possible dog bites to include shooting them when it may be necessary?  That they should just have to take it as it were as part of doing the job?
View Quote

Against a 30 pound cattle dog? Fuck no. Your in a mans profession act like it. A mutated 160 lb rottweiler/godzilla creature? Sure. But with many of these stories it seems that the dog is killed because it's the easy way not the right way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

This times infinity!

In this case cop was an asshole. Dog was a working farm dog that barked and approached him and got shot by Officer Tinkie Winkie while it was running away (fact via autopsy)

When you enter a dogs property its job is to approach you and bark, your job IS NOT TO SHOOT IT! Your job is to show it you are not a threat and interact with the public in a safe and respectful manner.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
But with many of these stories it seems that the dog is killed because it's the easy way not the right way.
View Quote

1) It's the easy way
2) There are zero negative consequences
3) They don't think anything's wrong with it to begin with
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I wonder if a jury would convict a man who shot a cop in defense of his dog.

I'm not a dog person, but I know how crazy people get about their dogs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Deputy was wrong, twice.

Use some common sense. He didn't and made a bad call. Accept it and face the consequences.

Second time was allowing the dog to suffer and making the owner drown the dog to stop the suffering.

I'd like to see the dashcam footage, but until I did, I'd vote bad shoot with the vets evidence and the situation as presented in video.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#34]
If we could just confine the pet shooting to cats I could compromise...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where was this dumb dog when the guy's house was getting broken into?
View Quote

Well as you've pointed out, this dumb dog obviously wasn't much of a threat to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#36]
The dog was only 55 lbs.  Why not just slam it off the car and use distracting strikes?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The dog was only 55 lbs.  Why not just slam it off the car and use distracting strikes?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How many die?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

How many die?

Why do you think USPS bought all those hollow points?  Payback, bitches!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
2 of my 3 dogs are the red variety now they are no longer safe.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/23/texas-farmer-calls-police-to-report-a-break-in-when-a-deputy-arrived-hours-later-his-nightmare-began/

Next they will be shooting Pomeranians.
View Quote

I've owned this breed too. Extremely territorial dogs.

Sucks about the shoot. I'd have to see the dash cam to make any kind of judgement.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You came to that conclusion from this article?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Then along come all his thin blue line buddies to cover it up/make excuses.
View Quote

Really?
They showed him the dash cam, guess they edited it for the cover up too.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Am I in before:  NWA, "JBT", "Basement dwelling GD'ers", "We don't care what you think"?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I dont get the outcry.. it was an isolated incident ( likely the first time an LEO has ever shot a dog ) AND the officer went home safe its a win win...
View Quote

Hilarious. You are the first person to say this. Ever.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Are dash cameras public record? Maybe it will be posted by the news and we can see what actually happened.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#45]
is this a new requirement on the cop exam

87. Do you hate dogs?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#46]
POOR DOG
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Calm down Nancy....fucking rabies.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

Calm down Nancy....fucking rabies.  

He came from the DU what do you expect? He's probably wearing a dress
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

SOP.  LEO as a whole seem to have decided to go weapons free on contact with canines.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Right.  I'm going to lock up a good portion of my productive workforce while I wait for a LEO...  They're so punctual, especially in the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"You’re invading her property, but she wouldn’t bite you! she’s never bitten anybody!” the man shouts.

1) You called, and 2) I don't know your dog's history, and honestly don't really give a shit either when your dog is growling and running at me.

The cops weren't going to do shit about the burglary anyway, but if you're going to call them, at least lock your animals up first.

Right.  I'm going to lock up a good portion of my productive workforce while I wait for a LEO...  They're so punctual, especially in the country.

The dog wasn't currently working. The farmers where out in the fields on tractors. The dog was laying in the back of the truck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cops have taken this "I can't even be touched attitude" without the use of force.  It's a dangerous job, you might get hurt.  If you are so nervous that you have to shoot an old man pointing a cane at you, or Lassy playing in her own yard, here's your sign.  
View Quote

Dumbest post of the day.

Did you even watch the cane video?

Lassie playing?
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top