Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The dearly departed. A well-known terror who bites LEOs for no reason.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1514972_1414995508765568_6716093104964537025_n.jpg
View Quote

"We need the follow up pictures of the rabid beast eating that fuzzy little bunny before we make a determination of good/bad shoot"
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You came to that conclusion from this article?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is some serious sociopaths that become cops.

I cam to that conclusion from your avatar.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"We need the follow up pictures of the rabid beast eating that fuzzy little bunny before we make a determination of good/bad shoot"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dearly departed. A well-known terror who bites LEOs for no reason.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1514972_1414995508765568_6716093104964537025_n.jpg

Needs moar context! The picture doesn't tell the whole story!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Well "pugs" are on the "no shoot" list that's for sure...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So only a sociopath can shoot a dog that's unsecured on a leash, showing it's teeth and moving towards you or a third party?
Otherwise...the officer should never shoot any animal, no matter the danger?

Dogs care a number of diseases (including rabies) which have no cure, including being able to kill you (depending upon the breed).
Secure your dogs and you won't have a problem.  Dogs are not people.  Neither are they intelligent enough to defend themselves.
They have instincts which have been passed down from generations which are to protect the home/owners.  That can be a real problem
if the owners are shitbags and the police have to enter the property of said shitbags.  The dog is going to know no different.

If you want to blame somebody, blame the stupid owners.  Police officers and firefighters don't get paid to be bit by any animal.  Especially animals
who haven't been properly vaccinated/cared for (as we know all the hooligans up in the hood are up to date on all of their dogs' vaccinations and such.
Nearly all of these things come back on the owner.

So please, keep your hyperbole to yourself.  Nearly any officer would shoot an aggressive dog off its leash or attacking another officer while in a suspect's home--especially if its a dog exhibiting weird behavior
which could be rabies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So only a sociopath can shoot a dog that's unsecured on a leash, showing it's teeth and moving towards you or a third party?

Dogs care a number of diseases (including rabies) which have no cure, including being able to kill you (depending upon the breed).
Secure your dogs and you won't have a problem.  Dogs are not people.  Neither are they intelligent enough to defend themselves.
They have instincts which have been passed down from generations which are to protect the home/owners.  That can be a real problem
if the owners are shitbags and the police have to enter the property of said shitbags.  The dog is going to know no different.

If you want to blame somebody, blame the stupid owners.  Police officers and firefighters don't get paid to be bit by any animal.  Especially animals
who haven't been properly vaccinated/cared for (as we know all the hooligans up in the hood are up to date on all of their dogs' vaccinations and such.

So please, keep your hyperbole to yourself.  Nearly any officer would shoot an aggressive dog off its leash or attacking another officer while in a suspect's home--especially if its a dog exhibiting weird behavior
which could be rabies.

Cattle dogs ARE NOT PETS.
Who in their right mind puts a cattle dog on a leash?
I am also calling BS on a border collie or Australian Shepherd not being smart enough to defend themselves. One of the hallmarks of both breeds is the innate knowledge on just how much force to use, they will deal with a young lamb a lot differently than a cranky old ram.

Now I sympathise with the officers, a 40 lb border collie can impose its will on a 2000lb bull rather easily. These are very valuable dogs though, and now the ranchers life is in danger until they can be replaced, which takes time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dog was shot in the back of head as per vet report  "So please, keep your hyperbole to yourself."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

Dog was shot in the back of head as per vet report  "So please, keep your hyperbole to yourself."

You have a copy of this vet. report? I'd like to see it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a copy of it embedded in the source article.

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/10262237_1415663625365423_9094421055083898550_n.jpg
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If this was a story about some jogger who got mauled by a dog, most of the comments would be about shooting the dog before it bit you.
View Quote

I've met lots of dogs jogging and cycling, haven't had to kill one yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#10]
What amazes me is this.
Cop shows up at your house 75-25% chance that your Dog gets shot.
Mailman shows up every day, No Dogs Shot.

Kind of makes one wonder if some people get off on shooting dogs. Easier than justifying shooting the person there.

"The Dog was going to bite me. I had to make my move."
"Yea that Pomeranian must have been 4 pounds, Just couldn't risk it"
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you implying being bit should just be part of the job for mailmen and thus cops too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

How many mailmen are bitten by dogs every year?
How many die?
How many dogs are shot by mailmen?

Yeah. Somehow the "rain nor sleet nor dead of night" crowd can manage to interact with dogs every day without killing them, yet our fine LEO heros cannot manage?

Are you implying being bit should just be part of the job for mailmen and thus cops too?

Obviously, mailmen should carry firearms to shoot any dog that walks in their path.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here is the thread. He said "I stopped counting". Look near bottom of page 2.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1613565_Ask_a_veteran_LEO_with_multiple_OIS_anything_.htmlhttp://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1613565_Ask_a_veteran_LEO_with_multiple_OIS_anything_.html

LINK
View Quote

Yeah, because the OP in your link is really a cop.

His whole thread screams BS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s682.photobucket.com/user/mikencP226/media/bro5_zps226604af.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv189/mikencP226/bro5_zps226604af.jpg</a>

I fear a day of reckoning is rapidly approaching.....
View Quote

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Any officer advocating shooting this dog is fucking pussy. How about you exercise some discretion and realize there are intermediate techniques for handling this situation? OC, baton, stay in the vehicle until you feel safe from the monster. ..

FFS. Just because you feel you can do a thing doesn't mean you should.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I spent many years patrolling farm land and suburban areas on foot not once did I ever have to shoot an aggressive dog! the poor standard of accountability of police is the main problem here (Officer safety trumps all).

Almost had to shoot a bull once but that's another story
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder if cops have any idea why people don't respect them anymore.
View Quote

Do you think they care? There is a clear us vs them mentality with leo`s. We the civilians are pond scum to them, or cattle that needs to be controlled.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Deputy was wrong, twice.

Use some common sense. He didn't and made a bad call. Accept it and face the consequences.

Second time was allowing the dog to suffer and making the owner drown the dog to stop the suffering.

I'd like to see the dashcam footage, but until I did, I'd vote bad shoot with the vets evidence and the situation as presented in video.

View Quote

Where is this vets evidence y'all keep talking about?
I haven't seen a report just the owners claim. The owner also claims the dash cam did show the dog charging.

The owner also claims he saw the shooting but earlier stated the dog ran out of sight and then the deputy told him that he had shot the dog.

ETA
I read the report, now if we could see the dash cam.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I work in a field that requires frequent interaction with not only dogs but attack dogs and know what we had? Training. As a LEO if you dont know how to interact with dogs or properly identify agressive vs appropriate vs friendly behaviors YOU NEED TO LEARN. 31 years i have been bitten three times all by 25 lbs or less dogs. You know what I did? I got a bandaid. I have gotten worse injuries from tripping over my own feet than any dog (except when said dog trips me). How about this? I seriously doubt that the attack is so imminant that you dont have time for a second shot, so shoot the ground, if the dog doesnt pause or back away then you have the beginings of proper actions IMO. In the military they call it escalation of force. Do you shoot everybody that makes a "hostile" action against you. If i come around a corner with a knife in my hand are you going to shoot me? Or are you going to take progressive steps. How about a gun? Could I have a legetimate reason for said knife or gun? Do I know who you are or why you are on my property? Dogs don't, nor do they carry guns or shoot bees out of their mouth. You will always have time to make the right call. If the dog is firmly attached to your leg, yeah you can shoot that one. If the dog is running at you with ears pinned back making a "growling" sound, what is its tail doing? My husky looks all agressive until you see her mile a min tail wagging and realize her "growl" is her getting your attention and saying "pet me bitch". And to a true layman a husky's wolf-ish apperance should be so very threatning until they lick you to death.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey that is a actual pic of me

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a copy of it embedded in the source article.

http://thisistwitchy.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/reading-is-hard.jpg

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/10262237_1415663625365423_9094421055083898550_n.jpg

Thank you. I missed it in the OP link somehow.

Now let's see the dash cam.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

1) It's the easy way
2) There are zero negative consequences
3) They don't think anything's wrong with it to begin with
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But with many of these stories it seems that the dog is killed because it's the easy way not the right way.

1) It's the easy way
2) There are zero negative consequences
3) They don't think anything's wrong with it to begin with

It's the government equivalent of "my baby didn't do nothing"
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What amazes me is this.

Kind of makes one wonder if some people get off on shooting dogs. Easier than justifying shooting the person there.

View Quote

Youre full of shit, where did you dream up this "Cop shows up at your house 75-25% chance that your Dog gets shot"

I've shown up to thousands of houses and have yet to shoot a dog.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

was this a problem 20 years ago?

View Quote

if not why? what has changed?
apparently this has become acceptable today

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've owned this breed too. Extremely territorial dogs.

Sucks about the shoot. I'd have to see the dash cam to make any kind of judgement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 of my 3 dogs are the red variety now they are no longer safe.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/23/texas-farmer-calls-police-to-report-a-break-in-when-a-deputy-arrived-hours-later-his-nightmare-began/

Next they will be shooting Pomeranians.

Sucks about the shoot. I'd have to see the dash cam to make any kind of judgement.

Autopsy is not proof enough?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No just look in the past couple pages of arfcom of abuse of authority/killing. Then go Google it and your mind will be blown.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well "pugs" are on the "no shoot" list that's for sure...
http://youtu.be/5X18y15nLBA
View Quote

That is a better way to handle dogs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am also calling BS on a border collie or Australian Shepherd not being smart enough to defend themselves. One of the hallmarks of both breeds is the innate knowledge on just how much force to use, they will deal with a young lamb a lot differently than a cranky old ram.

Now I sympathise with the officers, a 40 lb border collie can impose its will on a 2000lb bull rather easily. These are very valuable dogs though, and now the ranchers life is in danger until they can be replaced, which takes time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

Australian cattle dogs are not the same as Australian shepards.

ACD's(AKA blue/red healers/ Queenslands) are smarter. And they are awesome pets.

Australian shepherds are not even from Australia.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

In the original article.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/23/texas-farmer-calls-police-to-report-a-break-in-when-a-deputy-arrived-hours-later-his-nightmare-began/

No it's not. The breed of dog, blue heeler, it's in their nature to circle and bite at the heels. See the name of the dog, blue is for their color and heeler, well I just explained that one to you.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No just look in the past couple pages of arfcom of abuse of authority/killing. Then go Google it and your mind will be blow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No just look in the past couple pages of arfcom of abuse of authority/killing. Then go Google it and your mind will be blow.

Yeah because Bon jour
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In the original article.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which could be rabies.

In the original article.

I've read it now, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You know I never heard of the Us vs. Them mentality until I came to GD and heard non-LEOs crying about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if cops have any idea why people don't respect them anymore.

Do you think they care? There is a clear us vs them mentality with leo`s. We the civilians are pond scum to them, or cattle that needs to be controlled.

You know I never heard of the Us vs. Them mentality until I came to GD and heard non-LEOs crying about it.

Most Black co workers fear the police.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Same posts, different day.

However the deptuy should have put the animal out of it's misery.
View Quote

Or how about not shooting it in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Youre full of shit, where did you dream up this "Cop shows up at your house 75-25% chance that your Dog gets shot"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What amazes me is this.

I pulled it out of my Butt, like most of the other facts in GD.
Was just making a point.
As far as the above in bold. My coffee hasn't worked yet. So technically you are correct.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep. I work for a phone company and am on peoples property daily. Never been bit. Most dogs are all show until they check you out. Then they are your best friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a land surveyor , and as such , I'm in people's yards ....a lot. Like 3-4 times a week. I've lost count of how many dogs I've interacted with.

What the fuck is wrong with...." Hey puppy, good dog...." When interacting with a strange dog? I must be the greatest dog guy on the planet as I have a 100 % success rate with this approach.

Talk nicely to the dog...every time they end up wanting to be petted and the owner ends up having to keep the dog from bumping my instrument while I work asking to be petted more.

Last dog encounter ended with me having to walk the dog home, since she followed me for about a half mile down a rr bed .

The lady  took him inside so I wouldn't have to adopt her.

Fucking A  , this shit isn't rocket science

Yep. I work for a phone company and am on peoples property daily. Never been bit. Most dogs are all show until they check you out. Then they are your best friend.

Somehow I have managed to survive interacting with probably over a thousand dogs in 15 years of doing service work in people's homes. Was bit once (GSD) and almost bit by a Jack Russell (he got punted).
The GSD was owned by someone I knew and I was overconfident, partially my fault. Minor nip, tiny bit of blood, have done worse to myself just doing my job (skinned knuckles, scrapes and such).

I mean there is some balance in this whole deal. Shooting a trained guard dog while serving a felony warrant on some major dope dealer or something, I get that.

But it seems to be happening A LOT more during incidents like this (cops coming to take a report, chases leading through random backyards etc).
Cops (generally) don't get to shoot people they think might be violent. Same should apply to dogs.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stop making excuses the autopsy said the dog was shot from behind. So it may have run up barked a bit then ran back towards the house.
View Quote

I can think of several scenarios where the shot could be made like that where a dog was trying to attack me.

i.e. The dog and I are in a stand off and the dog is circling to try and get to me. (been in a situation with a doberman once like that - it got out of its yard and was not trying to be my friend. but no guns were involved, the owner ran out and got it)

I'd like to see the dash cam before making any judgement one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm just lost on the idea that deadly force can be used around other people against the threat of an animal bite.  No compute.
View Quote

it's not like they can kill or maim you.

Fear of death or serious bodily harm, that only applies to people, not animals.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How many mailmen are bitten by dogs every year?
How many die?
How many dogs are shot by mailmen?

Yeah. Somehow the "rain nor sleet nor dead of night" crowd can manage to interact with dogs every day without killing them, yet our fine LEO heros cannot manage?
View Quote

I have a friend, his father was a mailman. spent about three years getting his face repaired, numerous surgeries because of a dog attack. It happens more than you choose to believe. This is why letter carriers prefer the centralized mailboxes and drive up mail boxes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No it's not. The breed of dog, blue heeler, it's in their nature to circle and bite at the heels. See the name of the dog, blue is for their color and heeler, well I just explained that one to you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, they circle, not run away. The bullet entered the back of the head. Would that be a good shoot if it was a person shot this way? I have no doubt the dog charged the officer, But if he is that scared of a dog, he should not be on the job.

The fact that you admit you never shot a dog, says that you most likely can handle a situation like this correctly. I would like to see the dashcam as well, because it would tell alot. BUT, the necropsy should tell you all you need to know. It would if it was a person, and there was no video, the autopsy would hold up in court.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#43]
All evidence is against the triiger happy so called officer, he must be fired and do time.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

was this a problem 20 years ago?

View Quote

if not why? what has changed?
Yeah, same thing 20 years ago.  30+ years ago cops just got bit by dogs more often.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Malo e lelei
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah because Bon jour

Malo e lelei

"English motherfucker, do you speak it"

‘ikai mahino, fakamolemole duku ho lea vave

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Golden retriver shot

So now they do shoot Chihuahuas 3 times also
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80661064/

Anyone ever notice almost no animal control officers or SPCA people carry guns?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Was just making a point.
As far as the above in bold. My coffee hasn't worked yet. So technically you are correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What amazes me is this.

Was just making a point.

Good one, oh and thanks for being honest, a rare trait around GD.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In this case cop was an asshole. Dog was a working farm dog that barked and approached him and got shot by Officer Tinkie Winkie while it was running away (fact via autopsy)
When you enter a dogs property its job is to approach you and bark, your job IS NOT TO SHOOT IT! Your job is to show it you are not a threat and interact with the public in a safe and respectful manner.

View Quote

Autopsy showed the bullet entered from behind. Tell me how the autopsy showed, if it was running, walking, or simply facing away from the direction of the gun shot?

the only fact, was the bullet entered from the rear of the head towards the front. (there are several scenarios where this could happen without the dog actually running or walking away,) without the dash cam footage, it's difficult to say.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I highly doubt that 7+ dogs are shot every day, 365 days in a row, by LEO.

Calm down kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably not but the opportunity was to hard to resist. These people are sick. I bet there are at least several thousand dogs shot every year.

I highly doubt that 7+ dogs are shot every day, 365 days in a row, by LEO.

Calm down kid.

According to the FBI, there were 409 people (justifiably) shot to death by law enforcement in 2012 (and a 410th that was killed with some non-knife "other dangerous weapon"). There were perhaps some small number more that were not justifiably killed by LEOs. There were probably many more people that were shot by law enforcement, but survived. And that's just people. I have very little doubt that LEO's shoot dogs many times more often than they shoot people.

Police officers shoot thousands of dogs per year, according to former officer Jim Osorio, who is now a specialist at the National Humane Law Enforcement Academy, which provides instruction to police departments.

- source
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top