BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you heard the people in eastern Ukraine going on about how the rest of the Ukraine are fascists about to attack them and thank hod their former commie masters have sent troops into e Ukraine  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.............Russian propaganda is funny
Have you heard the people in eastern Ukraine going on about how the rest of the Ukraine are fascists about to attack them and thank hod their former commie masters have sent troops into e Ukraine  

hod?  WTH is "hod"?  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget the rail-gun, the RAIL-GUN!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If it was true:

Or its a system they haven't seen before, therefore cannot detect it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard a story years ago that during WWII someone decided to brag about our manufacturing capabilities by sending our Soviet allies a drill the size of a human hair.
The Russians promptly drilled a hole in the shank and sent it back. Don't no if true or just a "Machine Shop" myth.
 Whether the radar jamming is true or not is hard to say.How would the Russians know they shut down our radar? Unless they could tell that no radar emissions were occurring? It would be a good way to signal a potential adversary that they have capabilities and to think twice before messing with them.

If it was true:

Not so much. If a signal is eminating from that aircraft, we're going to detect it. The Russians haven't figured out how to hack the Primordial Spacetime Foam yet AFAIK.

Understand that Phalanx doesn't have IFF. If it's on, everything airborne dies. They shut it down on purpose if it was even on or it would have downed the SU27. That's called "Preventing an International Incident."

They also shut their radar and detection systems off on purpose too. Radars make different "noises" when they're searching or actively painting a target. It doesn't make sense to tell them what the "Sounds" are when we're doing what, and I guarantee that the Russians had, at the very least, a ship and another aircraft with EW packages on them listening intently.

If they had a backdoor or somesuch, this was the stupidest fucking time possible to reveal that it was there.

ETA: Because some people post before reading the thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
To everyone who automatically assumes this is some metaphor for the state of the U.S.:

1) It's Russian propaganda BS.
2) Since it's Russian propaganda BS, it's going to be rife with outrageous claims and emphasize how powerless our ship was to their copy of our 1960's-designed F-111.
3) If you buy the story and are worried, the Russians have achieved their desired affect, which is to demoralize you.

They are second-class, if not third-class. The U.S., even despite it's crappy president and increasingly large FSA, is still the best country, the only superpower.  This shows through in Russia's endless chest beating and general attitude of trying to be flashy and flaunt every success it has, big or small as if each success it has comes at an expense to the United States.  Putin and his team of thugs have made it a point to make every bit of their foreign policy focused on taking the complete opposite position to the U.S. simply to try and reduce our influence because they generally can't increase theirs.  Sometimes they will win. Sometimes we will.

In the end, Putin is pathetic, even if he is dangerous because he has focused all of his energies, his entire existence, on trying to show America up.   Our country is focused on other goals, foolhardy as many of them are, but at least we are still free, obamacare, commie gun control measures, etc notwithstanding.

Let them pretend to own us all they want to on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

hod?  WTH is "hod"?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hod?  WTH is "hod"?  

Russians make fun of Ukrainians because Ukrainians pronounce all hard "G" sounds as "H".
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not so much. If a signal is eminating from that aircraft, we're going to detect it. The Russians haven't figured out how to hack the Primordial Spacetime Foam yet AFAIK.

Understand that Aegis doesn't have IFF. If it's on, everything airborne dies. They shut it down on purpose if it was even on or it would have downed the SU27. That's called "Preventing an International Incident."

They also shut their radar and detection systems off on purpose too. Radars make different "noises" when they're searching or actively painting a target. It doesn't make sense to tell them what the "Sounds" are when we're doing what, and I guarantee that the Russians had, at the very least, a ship and another aircraft with EW packages on them listening intently.

If they had a backdoor or somesuch, this was the stupidest fucking time possible to reveal that it was there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard a story years ago that during WWII someone decided to brag about our manufacturing capabilities by sending our Soviet allies a drill the size of a human hair.
The Russians promptly drilled a hole in the shank and sent it back. Don't no if true or just a "Machine Shop" myth.
 Whether the radar jamming is true or not is hard to say.How would the Russians know they shut down our radar? Unless they could tell that no radar emissions were occurring? It would be a good way to signal a potential adversary that they have capabilities and to think twice before messing with them.

If it was true:

Understand that Aegis doesn't have IFF. If it's on, everything airborne dies. They shut it down on purpose if it was even on or it would have downed the SU27. That's called "Preventing an International Incident."

+1 and you are correct about the other plane.  While the one was making repeated low altitude runs, another was loitering above during the incident.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
i just rewatched the video of a US fighter pilot giving a recap of Red Flag 2008 where the Indian brought their Russian made Su-30s.  he clearly stated that even within visual range, the Russian ECM pods prevented F-15s and F-16s from getting radar lock

there are also ECM versions of the Su-24 that carry substantial jamming gear (like the EA-6 Prowler and F-18G)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Isn't SOP to not use our radars to full effect and let them do the flybys?  I thought the whole point was to keep the Ruskies guessing about our true capabilities?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
...After the incident, the foreign media reported that "Donald Cook" was rushed into a port in Romania. There all the 27 members of the crew filed a letter of resignation. It seems that all 27 people have written that they are not going to risk their lives. This is indirectly confirmed by the Pentagon statement according to which the action demoralized the crew of the American ship...

Oh, my sides!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Isn't SOP to not use our radars to full effect and let them do the flybys?  I thought the whole point was to keep the Ruskies guessing about our true capabilities?
View Quote

Yes there are different modes for "real" situations. Everybody does this U.S., China, Russia etc etc
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Easy to disprove.
just shoot down  the the next russian aircraft that tries it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Then why does the ship have SAMs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah, that radar system would fry that SU-24 right out of the sky, if they so wanted to.

Because they come in pairs..... and do do that you are effectively blind everywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Propaganda

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This.. Next time it happens blow them out of the sky to prove them wrong..
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Understand that Aegis doesn't have IFF. If it's on, everything airborne dies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because they come in pairs..... and do do that you are effectively blind everywhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah, that radar system would fry that SU-24 right out of the sky, if they so wanted to.

If you're blind everywhere else, you can't direct a SAM.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i just rewatched the video of a US fighter pilot giving a recap of Red Flag 2008 where the Indian brought their Russian made Su-30s.  he clearly stated that even within visual range, the Russian ECM pods prevented F-15s and F-16s from getting radar lock

there are also ECM versions of the Su-24 that carry substantial jamming gear (like the EA-6 Prowler and F-18G)
View Quote

HOJ function still operates as does Flood. Not to mention that AWACS is going to be all over that like stink on skunk.

Jam all you want, you can't prevent your aircraft from providing attenuation, and when you jam, it's like the two of us being in a football stadium, me in the bleachers, and you on the fifty yard line holding a flashlight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i49.tinypic.com/sy44zq.jpg

I meant Phalanx. I get them mixed up ocasionally.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I presume the USN has its press-gangs hard at work in Romania
View Quote

Well, that much is true.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We're not in the habit of letting foreign militaries trespass freely amongst our carrier battle groups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not trying to shit on anyone's parade...but I've been on carriers in the center of a supposed AEGIS picket that were buzzed three or four times before we even got a single bird off the deck (armed with CATM-9s ).

All the way through the picket to the carrier, and had plenty of time to do whatever they needed to do.

Underestimating the Russkies--and overinflating our own prowess--isn't smart.

Best wishes to our boys out there.

Why would you want to let them know what your real response time was? Or at what range they were detected?

I'd be all, "Oh, man, you guys sure got the drop on us. We never detected you at all. No, sir."

We're not in the habit of letting foreign militaries trespass freely amongst our carrier battle groups.

Um, freedom of navigation is freedom of navigation, so long as it doesn't pose a hazard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Navy doesn't update Aegis like it's some kind of Windows Update.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Far more likely that they snuck a virus into its last software patch and gave themselves a back door somehow. That would be a one time use weapon, because we would shit our pants and sanitize the entire fleet.

Not yet...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just caught teh AIDS.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In the US version, the Aegis class fired one torpedo containing not a H.E. , but a sternly written letter red sand...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I just caught teh AIDS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just caught teh AIDS.

YOU of all people should have known not to be airborne when you turned it on.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I find it much more likely that the Navy realized it was an electronic warfare aircraft and shut everything down to reduce the intelligence that the aircraft could gather.
View Quote

Winner of "First accurate post".

But in all fairness, Obama likely did arm our ships with sternly-worded, whiny emails to the commy's parents.  And then instructed our forces to only send off said emails once they were 50' below sea level.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh my god if you think we're going to shoot down a Russian plane for buzzing a carrier you need to put down the alcohol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not trying to shit on anyone's parade...but I've been on carriers in the center of a supposed AEGIS picket that were buzzed three or four times before we even got a single bird off the deck (armed with CATM-9s ).

All the way through the picket to the carrier, and had plenty of time to do whatever they needed to do.

Underestimating the Russkies--and overinflating our own prowess--isn't smart.

Best wishes to our boys out there.

That sounds like a command bureacracy issue.
Still sounds like a serious issue  

Oh my god if you think we're going to shoot down a Russian plane for buzzing a carrier you need to put down the alcohol.

Agreed.  You should be focusing on making smoldering craters where Ukrainian military bases were forcibly taken over by the military of a known threat.  Craters that are 20' deep and then rebuilt by NATO 10x as strong as the original.  And if the Ukrainians don't wish to man the bases, well, at least some Commie bastards are dead.  Explosives are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Tesla, fer de lance, directed energy, tick tock
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone here even consider the option that the whistleblower who stole a shitload of documents and went to Russia has allowed them to find a way to defeat aegis?

TXL
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does anyone here even consider the option that the whistleblower who stole a shitload of documents and went to Russia has allowed them to find a way to defeat aegis?

If that's the case, find him and kill him.

TXL
View Quote

Everything not in red == untrue.  Everything in red == excellent idea.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Let's see:

Russian fighter totally shuts down a destroyer...

Russia says the Pentagon "indirectly" confirms this...

Only 27 sailors on a destroyer...

All 27 sailors resign at the first port, including the Captain, and leave a multi-billion dollar destroyer unattended...

Nothing is mentioned anywhere else in the news, national or international, and no one interviews one of the sailors that resigned, on one of the biggest stories of the year...

Sounds legit.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#31]
As real as the Iranian stealth jet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Cylons did the same when they took out the 12 colonies.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I can believe this....time for CRUDES to be a post command aviator billet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

FOAD.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

FOAD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOAD.

There are still sweeps and LCS...floating dry docks and plenty of CCMD staff billets.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just caught teh AIDS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just caught teh AIDS.

Well buttsecks is common in the Navy I hear.

I mis-spoke and meant Phalanx.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Far more likely that they snuck a virus into its last software patch and gave themselves a back door somehow. That would be a one time use weapon, because we would shit our pants and sanitize the entire fleet.

The "navy" doesn't update Aegis at all....it's made by lockmart isn't it?  Probably MFC? I realize that they are very careful but the Akula didn't design itself....and Iranian centrifuges didn't just over-speed at random. Shit does happen.  Besides I said it was more likely....relative to an Su-24 being able to brute force jam a SPY-1D, which isn't real damn likely.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I would just like to point out that a jammer system does not make you invulnerable.

Surface to air missiles have had the capability to "home on jam" and simply follow the emissions from the jammer for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There are still sweeps and LCS...floating dry docks and plenty of CCMD staff billets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOAD.

LCS is CRUDES there sport.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just caught teh AIDS.

Big difference between Phalanx and Aegis. Orders of magnitude in difference.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOAD.

Probably for the best, then. Forty knots of speed requires a special brand of SA found predominately among aviators.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Probably for the best, then. Forty knots of speed requires a special brand of SA found predominately among aviators.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOAD.

Never trust an officer whose collar devices don't match.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Never trust an officer whose collar devices don't match.
View Quote

Lolz.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

No, because I used to work it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously never heard of Operation El Dorado Canyon.  The US did exactly that.  Showed that F-111’s could penetrate the Soviet air defense system and bombed Libya.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meshokblog? I mean, sure, the Russians certainly have an EW trick or two up their sleeves, but...

Ok, let's theorize that Russia has this capability.  I'm sure they don't, but bear with me.

If you could kill Aegis and take pot-shots at destroyers all day and were angling for a fight why would you show off the capability before you actually needed it?  That would have to be about the stupidest thing that Russian Naval Aviation could do.

You obviously never heard of Operation El Dorado Canyon.  The US did exactly that.  Showed that F-111’s could penetrate the Soviet air defense system and bombed Libya.

The Libyans weren't exactly maintaining a state-of-the-art air defense posture.

It was more of a "hey, look at all this Soviet stuff that we bought - I wonder how it works?"

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's all funny till we lose a ship!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top