Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/20/2014 12:36:42 PM EDT
When "Fast 'N Loud" host Richard Rawlings was told by a customer that the first two 1967 Pontiac Firebirds ever made were collecting dust in an abandoned barn, he knew he had to find out if it was true.

The Discovery Channel star and car builder's curiosity paid off when he and his crew recovered the "holy grail" of cars in Connecticut.

Rawlings described the unbelievable discovery Friday on "America's Newsroom."

"A lot of this stuff can just be made up over the years," he told Bill Hemmer, "but it turned out that these cars have bulletproof documentation and they were the very first Firebirds ever made."

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/americas-newsroom/2014/04/18/holy-grail-muscle-cars-found-old-barn
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I would consider the Bullet Mustang a more Holy Grail car than a Firebird
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
NO FUCKING FAIR
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty neat.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty awesome, I like the show for the most part too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
#001 and 002. That's a hell of a find!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
How much will he and his team fuck them up before selling them?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy Grail?

Not really. Great find though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much will he and his team fuck them up before selling them?
View Quote

Chop the top on both of them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting those 2 cars were for sale a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol...firebirds...holy grail...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool, I love it when they do restorations on a car
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy grail my ass. Those ain't even Trans-Ams.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Of all the retards to get those cars.
That show is is the Sons of Guns of the car shows.

It would have been better if Wayne Carini or Peter Klutt or Chip Foose had found those cars.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now if they were Mustangs it would be a real find.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mustangs? Maybe.

GTOs? Hell yes.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I like their show. They get paid to have fun and do cool stuff. We should all be so lucky.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think the fact that they're Firebirds make them the "holy grail", but the first 2 off the production line probably counts for a lot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It would have been better if Wayne Carini or Peter Klutt or Chip Foose had found those cars.
View Quote

Chip Foose NOT, he does way more harm than good.     Wayne would definitely sell them to someone and or do a 100 point concours restoration on them, I give profs for his and the staff he employs  kung fu.  They say Carini is less than a personable sort of guy in person.

Rawlings and his team are very personable and great with the public.  I like their show a lot .
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Firebirds were NEVER considered a Muscle Car. Biggest factory motor for a Firebird was a 350. The muscle cars for Pontiac were the GTO and Trans Am.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a Ford guy, and a Chevelle, Charger, or Nova is a better archetype for 'holy grail' of muscle cars
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. If you're a sixteen year old girl
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Firebirds were NEVER considered a Muscle Car. Biggest factory motor for a Firebird was a 350. The muscle cars for Pontiac were the GTO and Trans Am.
View Quote

No first gens could have up to a 400.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
If they found a long lost '64 Pontiac Banshee that would be more notable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never heard of a 400? Or then the 455 SD?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could get a 400 in the '67-'69.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Forgot about the 400?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#28]
It being a reality show, what's the chance of the two cars being planted for that super-duper special episode?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

1.) Buy car(s)
2.) Buy barn
3.) Place cars in barn, sprinkle dirt on cars
4.) Profit
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#30]
nice find, but I consider this the "Holy Grail" of muscle cars
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They say Carini is less than a personable sort of guy in person.
View Quote

I can see that. Might be presumptuous to label him a prick, but he gives off a stand-offish personality vibe on the show. Might be the greatest guy in the world to those in his circle, but I don't get the feeling that he runs around looking to make new friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

1.) Buy car(s)
2.) Buy barn
4.) Profit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.) Buy car(s)
2.) Buy barn
4.) Profit

exactly but it has to be an "abandoned" barn
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice find.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read that some guy bought them, they're going to be in museums, and he wants/wanted Gas Monkey to do the restorations.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, the 400 was reserved for the '69 Trans Am when it came out to give it something a little more potent over the Firebird to compete with the now more powerful Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars of that time. Of course there was also the optional Ram III and Ram IV system to boost even more power.

edit: I have seen 400 Firebirds, which are a Gen1, but they weren't until 1969 when the T/A's had already come to market. I've never seen a '67 400 Firebird---that's what Fast n Loud has found.
The 455SD's were only found in the (later) around 72 and 73 Trans Am's and I believe the LeMan Grand Am's that I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't think the fact that they're Firebirds make them the "holy grail", but the first 2 off the production line probably counts for a lot.
View Quote

The article I read implied that they weren't even the "production" but the first 2 hand made, then production lines were set up to make the cars. Almost like prototype, but final revision "yep, these are good, start making them.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm sorry, but the holy grail of muscle cars would be the 1 remaining Boss 429  1970 Cougar Eliminater. Only 2 ever made and 1 went to the crusher in the 70's and nobody knows where the other 1 is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I really like their show.

What I don't like about the show, and most other 'reality' build shows is the fake timeline.

Instead of saying "we have this XYZ car and we're going to build it into a cool custom retrorod", we end up with "we have six days to ram this shit together to sell it at auction to some sucker that's going to pay us a bunch more to fix everything right afterwards".

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It being a reality show, what's the chance of the two cars being planted for that super-duper special episode?
View Quote

Google it, the owner of these two cars were posing on Pontiac forums a few years ago that he had them and were in the process of getting documentation. They weren't exactly lost to begin with.

http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/8925236/the-general-discussion/value-of-first-firebird-ever-made-help/
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. My mom had the 67 conv. 400, 4spd with the tach out on the hood.

Still not classified as a muscle car. They're considered pony cars. Same as mustang, camaro etc.

I think it's a dumb distinction, but there it is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFDP_XOeqNGdWwfVb6Afjsu5ehV-u7SAT2hhycletzJ7u-RZ1B
View Quote

You could consider it that , and you would be wrong.  I really cant say I label the first and second Firebirds the grail of muscle cars since they are not muscle cars,  but there are a ton of people who will want to own the first Pontiac pony cars made. Personally I consider the the first GTO to be one of the grail cars, same thing for the BOSS 429 it is the holy grail of pony cars. Period end of story and it does not really matter which BOSS 429 considering the number produced. It is the rarest of the rare cars from that era in Detroit.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, the 400 was reserved for the '69 Trans Am when it came out to give it something a little more potent over the Firebird to compete with the now more powerful Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars of that time. Of course there was also the optional Ram III and Ram IV system to boost even more power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 400 model was available from 67 and on with the same 400 that the GTO got.

Edit heres a 67 :http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/07/01/hmn_tips1.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Holy grail my ass. Those ain't even Trans-Ams.

View Quote

yes... that would a cool find
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice, but a couple of GT500s would tickle me more. This from a former '67 Firebird owner.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Chip Foose NOT, he does way more harm than good.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chip Foose NOT, he does way more harm than good.    

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You could consider it that , and you would be wrong.  I really cant say I label the first and second Firebirds the grail of muscle cars since they are not muscle cars,  but there are a ton of people who will want to own the first Pontiac pony cars made. Personally I consider the the first GTO to be one of the grail cars, same thing for the BOSS 429 it is the holy grail of pony cars. Period end of story and it does not really matter which BOSS 429 considering the number produced. It is the rarest of the rare cars from that era in Detroit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFDP_XOeqNGdWwfVb6Afjsu5ehV-u7SAT2hhycletzJ7u-RZ1B

go get hit by a train muscle cars are about muscle, and no car had more muscle than the BO29 cuda's......King of the mountain,so I say it's the holy grail
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Formula/Firehawk/WS6 was the way to go with the "firebird" family.  All the engine but none of the shitty body work of the Trans am.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I can see that. Might be presumptuous to label him a prick, but he gives off a stand-offish personality vibe on the show. Might be the greatest guy in the world to those in his circle, but I don't get the feeling that he runs around looking to make new friends.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They say Carini is less than a personable sort of guy in person.

Seems like he is all business.
With the proliferation of idiots in the car game, I probably wouldn't be mister super friendly either.

Then again, with the exception of his giant wheel fetish, Foose is widely thought of as "the man" in classic car circles. I have spoken to a few people that know Chip and they say he is the real deal. Very personable, outgoing and the combination of celebrity and being a car guy are things he has not lost his enthusiasm for.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Holy grail hardly, Hemi Cuda, GTO Judge, LS5 SS Chevelle, any of the Yenko's these are Holy grail cars.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top