Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of all the retards to get those cars.
That show is is the Sons of Guns of the car shows.

It would have been better if Wayne Carini or Peter Klutt or Chip Foose had found those cars.

Chip Foose NOT, he does way more harm than good.    

Foose would not know what a properly restored car was if it drove over the top of him.  He "customizes" cars , thats not the way we do it with rare pony and muscle cars.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Seems like he is all business.
With the proliferation of idiots in the car game, I probably wouldn't be mister super friendly either.

Then again, with the exception of his giant wheel fetish, Foose is widely thought of as "the man" in classic car circles. I have spoken to a few people that know Chip and they say he is the real deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They say Carini is less than a personable sort of guy in person.

I can see that. Might be presumptuous to label him a prick, but he gives off a stand-offish personality vibe on the show. Might be the greatest guy in the world to those in his circle, but I don't get the feeling that he runs around looking to make new friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Seems like he is all business.
With the proliferation of idiots in the car game, I probably wouldn't be mister super friendly either.

Then again, with the exception of his giant wheel fetish, Foose is widely thought of as "the man" in classic car circles. I have spoken to a few people that know Chip and they say he is the real deal.

Foose is a hotrodder/customizer, so for someone looking to maintain 100% authentic original restoration, I'm not sure he's the guy. His skill set is making it awesomer. Come up with his own curves and features, etc. Foose is the bomb at what he does, but he doesn't "return classic automobiles to factory new." Two different disciplines.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Holy grail hardly, Hemi Cuda, GTO Judge, LS5 SS Chevelle, any of the Yenko's these are Holy grail cars.  
View Quote

None of what you mentioned are #1 and #2 pre production cars. Rawlings found beyond rare..........

ETA..LS6 would be more desireable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Holy grail hardly, Hemi Cuda, GTO Judge, LS5 SS Chevelle, any of the Yenko's these are Holy grail cars.  
View Quote

Why not the LS6 Chevelle?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

None of what you mentioned are #1 and #2 pre production cars. Rawlings found beyond rare..........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't find them, he answered the phone when the owner came looking for someone who could fix them and make them famous at the same time.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Foose would not know what a properly restored car was if it drove over the top of him.  He "customizes" cars , thats not the way we do it with rare pony and muscle cars.

View Quote

I'm gonna call BS. He's a car guy, he knows. It's just not what he does. If you brought him a rare numbers matching all original something or other, he'd tell you to sell it and chop up a less valuable version. Not every car is deserving of a meticulous concourse restoration.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If they found a long lost '64 Pontiac Banshee that would be more notable.
View Quote

Hubba hubba!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
FIFY

Quoted:
Holy grail hardly, Hemi Cuda, GTO Judge, LS56 SS Chevelle, any of the Yenko's these are Holy grail cars.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, but the holy grail of muscle cars would be the 1 remaining Boss 429  1970 Cougar Eliminater. Only 2 ever made and 1 went to the crusher in the 70's and nobody knows where the other 1 is.
View Quote

In a back field with .22 holes peppering it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#10]
A pontiac?   Lmao.  Did it come w a mullet and a single wide?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I love that show.  Can't wait to see the episode.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It would have been better if Wayne Carini or Peter Klutt or Chip Foose had found those cars.
View Quote

not foose !!! he would have scraped the Pontiac engines and put small blocks in them .....  he does that shit all the time on his show and as a poncho lover I fucking hate it,,,,,
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Firebirds were NEVER considered a Muscle Car. Biggest factory motor for a Firebird was a 350. The muscle cars for Pontiac were the GTO and Trans Am.
View Quote

what !!!! the the biggest engines in 67/69 firebirds was a 400 ci Pontiac in one of its many forms . the trans am is a firebird .....
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about you guys, but this would be my holy grail barn find

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

don't forget the Royal Bobcat Pontiacs ......
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as Chickens go, I'd rather find a '69 1/2.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How so?

They don't blow tempter tantrums like 5 year olds.
They put out decent products.
The show is entertaining and not an embarrassment to the community or men.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Firebirds were NEVER considered a Muscle Car. Biggest factory motor for a Firebird was a 350. The muscle cars for Pontiac were the GTO and Trans Am.
View Quote

No 350 offered.  326 and a 400, making 325hp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I the only one on ARFCOM who thought of this? Cant believe I'm the first:

"Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty-odd years;
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.
I strip away the old debris
That hides the shining car:
A brilliant red Barchetta from a better, vanished time. .."
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I'll be in my bunk

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
There were a few other good suggestions in this thread but I would have picked a Cuda convertible as my Holy Grail of muscle cars.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
If you're a firebird lover then yes, these are the holy grails. One's a drop top and the other looks to be a hard top.

Pretty cool to be able to say you own both first.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#23]
The only value these have are to boomers reliving the glory days of their youth. They are just old, junky cars.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy Grail?

Not really. Great find though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/attachments/pre-69-212-250/6849d1191449988-identify-ferrari-250gto.jpg
View Quote
That is not a muscle car.

But it is worth exponentially more than the two Firebirds and is way sexier.

Hell, the restoration would cost more than the restored Firebirds are worth.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How much will he and his team fuck them up before selling them?
View Quote

A bunch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hemi Cuda was the first thing that came to my mind.   I love the old firebirds though.  

I don't recall what year, but the model with the two hood scoops on the front of the hood is my dream muscle car.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

A stock '69 Grand Prix SJ with the HO428 would smoke most Ram Air 4 cars, and SD455's.........

Holy Grail Firebird is a '68 with the "Royal Bobcat" kit....428HO 4spd...kinda like the Yenko of Pontiacs........
List Price (base) $2,781.00
Price as tested (list – includes 428 conversion) $5,149.74

Weight 3,300 pounds
0 to 30 mph – 3.0 seconds
0 to 60 mph – 4.9 seconds
Standing start, 1/4 mile 12.55 seconds
Miles per hour, 1/4 mile 110 mph
Economy 6 – 13 mpg

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Though I agree they are not an automotive holy grail its a rare find.  As others have said a 400 was available 67-69 birds.  Pontiac though gone now began the muscle car era with the 64 gto and ended it with the last 400 trans am's @1979.  I define a muscle car as a body smaller than a full size sedan with a large cube motor but still having a back seat. By @1979 the mustang as it was known was gone, so was the chevelle, and dodges.  The anemic 305 z/28 was a distant second.  We owe gratitude to Pontiac for the cars of that era.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would consider the Bullet Mustang a more Holy Grail car than a Firebird  
View Quote

I am aware the real Holy Grail car, a 1965 Shelby GT350-R Mustang with full SCCA documentation of the original owner's racing career during his college years.  After college he was commissioned into the Army and sent to Viet Nam.  He was KIA and his father has kept the Mustang in his barn ever since.

The Shelby owners club has been hunting for this car and nobody knows what happened to the car after 1968.  All that is known is that it raced in 1968 and ended the season in running condition.

I have a buddy who is into Shelbys and he got wind of the car and found it.  The father will not part with it before he dies, although he's into his 90s.  My buddy is working on getting first right of refusal on the car.  Hopefully when the estate is being settled he will be able to buy the car.  Otherwise it's going to be a very interesting estate auction when that car comes up for bid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#31]
recovered? I hope that means paid the rightful owners a fair price. Just because an old vehicle is in a barn does NOT mean it is fair play for anyone to go out and grab (there was a dumbass in Southern AB who got in trouble pulling an old 40s truck out of a farmer's back field without permission)
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
nice find, but I consider this the "Holy Grail" of muscle cars
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFDP_XOeqNGdWwfVb6Afjsu5ehV-u7SAT2hhycletzJ7u-RZ1B
View Quote

My man!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/attachments/pre-69-212-250/6849d1191449988-identify-ferrari-250gto.jpg
View Quote

Or the Shelby Cobra Daytona barn find that's tied up in an ownership lawsuit out in California.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How much will he and his team fuck them up before selling them?
View Quote

Probably a lot. Fuck that whole crew, bunch of wannabe hacks. They didn't start the real gas monkey garage and even got caught selling other people's cars as their own. Car flip shows are the worst and as a Pontiac fan I'm pretty pissed they have these.

http://spankmymarketer.com/summary.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#36]
a thunderchicken convertible isn't anywhere near close to a "holy grail" musclecar

it would be worth restoring but probably any original hemi mopar would be worth more money

I'm trying to picture what "the first two ever made" would add to the value of the cars

it's a distinction but it's a distinction of a common car, they made 82,000 firebirds in 1967

that's a lot

I'm definitely not feeling the "grail" aspects of these cars

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Finding the #1 & 2 Firebirds ever made would be an exceptional score.
They are technically PONY CARS.
Holy Grail is too far-fetched as there could be a good many cars considered for that moniker.

Still, as much as I don't care for THAT show...they made a GREAT FIND!
I love Pontiacs.
Hope they do right by the ones they found.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can see that. Might be presumptuous to label him a prick, but he gives off a stand-offish personality vibe on the show. Might be the greatest guy in the world to those in his circle, but I don't get the feeling that he runs around looking to make new friends.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Consider that he has a showroom full of 100k plus classics and tire kickers with 30k of credit wanting to look at them 24/7.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't know what all the hate is about

I would like to have them. Sure there may be some I would like better but I would be content with them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The only value these have are to boomers reliving the glory days of their youth. They are just old, junky cars.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Consider that he has a showroom full of 1500k plus classics and tire kickers with 30k of credit wanting to look at them 24/7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Consider that he has a showroom full of 1500k plus classics and tire kickers with 30k of credit wanting to look at them 24/7.
FIFY

And I'd love to find where the last of the 8 1969 Trans Am convertibles is hiding

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now if they were Mustangs it would be a real find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol...firebirds...holy grail...

Now if they were Mustangs it would be a real find.

IIRC the first Mustang off the line on the first day of production is sitting in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn wearing Canadian plates .  Just behind flat head serial number 1 when I was there 20 years ago.  It was the very last line on the placard that had that fact.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I would consider the Bullet Mustang a more Holy Grail car than a Firebird
View Quote
Yeah....or Bond's Aston...or the first 427 AC Cobra ...or Hemi Superbird ...or first Yenko anything...but Firebirds ?

That's cool and all , and numbers 1 and 2 is even cooler , but the term 'Holy Grail' has been misused into the ground

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Not unless that's the original Hemi Under Glass

..which just so happens to be for sale , along with a few other gems ..........

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/group_consignment_list.cfm?AUCTION_ID=CH1013&GROUP_ID=10138

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, the 400 was reserved for the '69 Trans Am when it came out to give it something a little more potent over the Firebird to compete with the now more powerful Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars of that time. Of course there was also the optional Ram III and Ram IV system to boost even more power.

edit: I have seen 400 Firebirds, which are a Gen1, but they weren't until 1969 when the T/A's had already come to market. I've never seen a '67 400 Firebird---that's what Fast n Loud has found.
The 455SD's were only found in the (later) around 72 and 73 Trans Am's and I believe the LeMan Grand Am's that I've ever seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No first gens could have up to a 400.

If I remember correctly, the 400 was reserved for the '69 Trans Am when it came out to give it something a little more potent over the Firebird to compete with the now more powerful Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars of that time. Of course there was also the optional Ram III and Ram IV system to boost even more power.

edit: I have seen 400 Firebirds, which are a Gen1, but they weren't until 1969 when the T/A's had already come to market. I've never seen a '67 400 Firebird---that's what Fast n Loud has found.
The 455SD's were only found in the (later) around 72 and 73 Trans Am's and I believe the LeMan Grand Am's that I've ever seen.

Couldn't you get a 455 in a 69-70 GTO Judge?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Oh my GAWD

Proper GTO ?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No first gens could have up to a 400.

First year 455 was '70......There were a few ram air 5 400's in '69......way rare though
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice, but a couple of GT500s would tickle me more. This from a former '67 Firebird owner.
View Quote

Or just 1 original, parts matching Thunderbolt.    
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#50]
This is the 'HOLY GRAIL' of MUSCLE CARS :

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top