User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
God, I feel sorry for you people. Get theTYRANTS the hell out of there.........
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

He needs a jury trial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FIRST ARREST? Connecticut Man Faces Charges For Unregistered “Assault Rifle,” Standard Capacity Magazines

Is it happening?

ETA: For TL;DR crowd:  65 year-old guy shoots a squirrel in his back yard.  JBTs show up, search his house, find "large capacity" mags and an "unregistered assault rifle."  Charge him with violating new AWB.

He needs a jury trial.

Not in CT, he doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to put it in a framework of what really happened, the cops who arrested him are oath breakers, and what they did will some day be recognized again as a crime.  

They knowingly enforced an unconstitutional act, and in so doing, wrongfully deprived a citizen of his property, his liberty and his civil rights under color of law.  It's going to take time for the courts to recognize it but that crime seems to be happening all the time these days.

Some day, the US will remember what it is, and when that happens, "I was just following orders" won't work any better for them than it did for the folks after My Lai.  You don't obey illegal orders, and enforcing unconstitutional laws is part of that.  You don't need the SCOTUS to tell you it's unconstitutional either.  Shall not be infringed is pretty fucking hard to misunderstand.

They should be ashamed of themselves and if they have a shred of decency they'll either refuse to enforce it and be fired, or quit.   If they continue to do what they did, they'll have EARNED the name JBT.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just to put it in a framework of what really happened, the cops who arrested him are oath breakers, and what they did will some day be recognized again as a crime.  

They knowingly enforced an unconstitutional act, and in so doing, wrongfully deprived a citizen of his property, his liberty and his civil rights under color of law.  It's going to take time for the courts to recognize it but that crime seems to be happening all the time these days.

Some day, the US will remember what it is, and when that happens, "I was just following orders" won't work any better for them than it did for the folks after My Lai.  You don't obey illegal orders, and enforcing unconstitutional laws is part of that.  You don't need the SCOTUS to tell you it's unconstitutional either.  Shall not be infringed is pretty fucking hard to misunderstand.

They should be ashamed of themselves and if they have a shred of decency they'll either refuse to enforce it and be fired, or quit.   If they continue to do what they did, they'll have EARNED the name JBT.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not in CT, he doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FIRST ARREST? Connecticut Man Faces Charges For Unregistered “Assault Rifle,” Standard Capacity Magazines

Is it happening?

ETA: For TL;DR crowd:  65 year-old guy shoots a squirrel in his back yard.  JBTs show up, search his house, find "large capacity" mags and an "unregistered assault rifle."  Charge him with violating new AWB.

He needs a jury trial.

Not in CT, he doesn't.

All it takes is one to nullify.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I know.  Wishful thinking.  It's either that or concede defeat though, and I won't do that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know.  Wishful thinking.  It's either that or concede defeat though, and I won't do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Eventually I doubt you'll have a choice, or people like us will die off. Educate and reform. It's working.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Eventually I doubt you'll have a choice, or people like us will die off. Educate and reform. It's working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

While they rob, imprison and threaten to kill.  I know that Ghandi and King were successful with the victory of ideas over dogma.  I hope you're right.  I really really hope you're right.  Sometimes it's fucking hard to see.

ETA And remember, Freedom is never given.  It's something you build through an act of sheer will.  You TAKE it.  We did so once.  It's now being taken back by people we hired to supposedly work for us.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Non-compliance. He's doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not registering his assault rifle.  

Regardless of your feelings toward a law, your options are to either comply with it or face the penalties of "will not comply".  This man either did not know about the change to the law or he knew and chose not to comply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

What crime was committed?

Not registering his assault rifle.  

Regardless of your feelings toward a law, your options are to either comply with it or face the penalties of "will not comply".  This man either did not know about the change to the law or he knew and chose not to comply.

I see other options. If the only law he broke was the awb and if the "assault rifle" they found is a .22 or other acceptable varmint rifle then it is indeed time to violate the CoC in CT.

Eta: based on the charges it would appear he did violate other laws such as shooting within city limits. If thats the case he will be hard pressed to find support outside of the court room.
That being said: soap box -> ballot box -> jury box -> ammo box. Ballot box has failed in CT and now its up to the courts to overturn the politicians violations. Lets see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Some reliable inside info from a fly on the wall:

What I've learned is that there were two (2) officers working construction almost directly in front of the gunowners house. Squirrels had been digging up his yard and eating his garden on the side of his house near the front yard, which frustrated him and made him angry. So he decided to shoot a squirrel with his .22 rifle (non-AW), shooting out through an open window from a position inside the home towards the street and where officers were standing for their construction job. The shot was close enough that it made the officers jump and they looked up to see the rifle pointed in their direction, believing he might have even been shooting at them. They detained and interviewed him, during which he admitted to shooting the squirrel. During the interview, he readily told officers that he owned several other firearms and had been shooting squirrels from inside the home on a regular basis, as evidenced by numerous bullet holes in the fence between his home
and the neighbor's. After demonstrating his poor judgement and his admission to owning other weapons, the officers then obtained a Risk Warrant, signed by a judge, on the basis of the unlawful discharge and reckless use of the firearm. During the execution of the Risk Warrant, the officers seized aprox 20 firearms, to include 3 unregistered handgun LCMs and an unregistered AW (a 5.56 S&W M&P-15).

Throughout the entire investigation he remained overly cooperative, much to his detriment. He also admitted to officers that he had legally purchased the S&W M&P-15 (AW) legally out of state before the new laws went into effect in April 2013, but had not registered the newly declared AW or any of his 3 handgun LCMs
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I'm nuts, and will get dog-piled, but I just read about the "request" that jews register in Ukraine, or leave.

Has it occurred to anyone that when you register your "Assault Weapon" you also register yourself, since they "request" all your personal information?

Or am I the only one slow enough to have only thought of it now?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Damnit! I hit "quote" instead of "edit".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What I've learned is that there were two (2) officers working construction almost directly in front of the gunowners house. Squirrels had been digging up his yard and eating his garden on the side of his house near the front yard, which frustrated him and made him angry. So he decided to shoot a squirrel with his .22 rifle (non-AW), shooting out through an open window from a position inside the home towards the street and where officers were standing for their construction job. The shot was close enough that it made the officers jump and they looked up to see the rifle pointed in their direction, believing he might have even been shooting at them. They detained and interviewed him, during which he admitted to shooting the squirrel. During the interview, he readily told officers that he owned several other firearms and had been shooting squirrels from inside the home on a regular basis, as evidenced by numerous bullet holes in the fence between his home
and the neighbor's. After demonstrating his poor judgement and his admission to owning other weapons, the officers then obtained a Risk Warrant, signed by a judge, on the basis of the unlawful discharge and reckless use of the firearm. During the execution of the Risk Warrant, the officers seized aprox 20 firearms, to include 3 unregistered handgun LCMs and an unregistered AW (a 5.56 S&W M&P-15).

Throughout the entire investigation he remained overly cooperative, much to his detriment. He also admitted to officers that he had legally purchased the S&W M&P-15 (AW) legally out of state before the new laws went into effect in April 2013, but had not registered the newly declared AW or any of his 3 handgun LCMs
View Quote

Ugh. This is a shitty case to try and get those "laws" overturned.
Guy is truly an idiot and probably shouldn't be exercising the 2nd at all (meaning he appears to be fucking crazy).
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jesus H. Christ!

What a shining example this guy is, for our test case.

Once they get a conviction, does that make the law harder to challenge?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!

It certainly won't help, but it doesn't preclude a constitutional challenge unless this case specifically goes to a higher court and is upheld.

ETA:  This account sounds fairly likely from what information is available in the article.  If true he deserved to be arrested, just not for the AW bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It certainly won't help, but it doesn't preclude a constitutional challenge unless this case specifically goes to a higher court and is upheld.

ETA:  This account sounds fairly likely from what information is available in the article.  If true he deserved to be arrested, just not for the AW bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!

Maybe the poor bastard believed that "The police will never enforce such an unconstitutional law."

ETA: The more I think about this, the more it upsets me.

This guy is 65 years old, and his life is changed forever ... and not for the better.

The State will cheerfully make the rest of his life miserable, by "making an example" of him for not complying with an ill-advised, politically-motivated, agenda-driven, immoral law.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe the poor bastard believed that "The police will never enforce such an unconstitutional law."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!

There will always be some.  What percentage will vary considerably based on geography.  I'd wager that Connecticut has a much higher ratio than my jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like the guy is an idiot and if he was willing to volunteer all the info to the police in the first place, would be a very poor candidate for a test case.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!

No.  This only has a political effect.  A conviction is required for a challenge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like the guy is an idiot and if he was willing to volunteer all the info to the police in the first place, would be a very poor candidate for a test case.
View Quote

It's just one or 2 of the charges and each charge is a seperate item of law.  If he challenges the law, his other crimes and stupidity would be irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's just one or 2 of the charges and each charge is a seperate item of law.  If he challenges the law, his other crimes and stupidity would be irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually not a bad case at all.  I would have expected for their first test case to pull out some hood rat gangbanger.  Instead, they go after a grandpa who had a brain fart.  

He's likely fucked on the other charges, but he can still challenge the AWB charges under the 2A.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Dumbass fired a gun in city limits.

That's what pellet guns are for.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fuck man .22LR is hard to find and bloody expensive!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did he really use a 5.56mm rifle to shoot a squirrel inside city limits?!?  What did he think would happen.

To me the first rule of ignoring a law is to NOT invite the man into your life....I guess I am just weird that way

ETA: This is where a suppressed 22LR is needed.  I really should get on that sooner rather than later.

I believe an air rifle is in order for dispatching squirrels.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's the house. Definitely looks like a packed neighborhood.

Link
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did he really use a 5.56mm rifle to shoot a squirrel inside city limits?!?  What did he think would happen.

To me the first rule of ignoring a law is to NOT invite the man into your life....I guess I am just weird that way

ETA: This is where a suppressed 22LR is needed.  I really should get on that sooner rather than later.

Even an air rifle, fired out a window with cops pretty much right outside, might not be a good choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I just figured out why the "Cruelty to Animals" charge.

They threw that in so they could confiscate the rest of his firearms.

From Connecticut Statutes 29-38c.
(b) A warrant may issue only on affidavit sworn to by the complainant or complainants before the judge and establishing the grounds for issuing the warrant, which affidavit shall be part of the seizure file. In determining whether grounds for the application exist or whether there is probable cause to believe they exist, the judge shall consider: (1) Recent threats or acts of violence by such person directed toward other persons; (2) recent threats or acts of violence by such person directed toward himself or herself; and (3) recent acts of cruelty to animals as provided in subsection (b) of section 53-247 by such person.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here's the house. Definitely looks like a packed neighborhood.

Link
View Quote

It's about two minutes from where I away right now. It is, and it's a completely irresponsible place to shoot any firearm. Especially pointing out a window in the direction of police.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Alright CT gun owners, it's your move.
View Quote

Inside scoop is he was shooting at the street with a 22 rifle. The police were standing in front of the guys house at the time of shooting.
There is no move, the guy is a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

That gun owner is a fucken asshole and idiot that is going to create headaches and possibly sets precedence for future cases on their AW laws.

IMO I hope they toss the AW charge but keep the rest.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That gun owner is a fucken asshole and idiot that is going to create headaches and possibly sets precedence for future cases on their AW laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing it's not illegal to be an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I hope some gun group gives him legal help.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

no fucks given on that charge, but the "assault weapon" was most likely a semi auto .22LR with a detachable magazine. Either that, or he shot a squirrel with an actual rifle, in which case, high fucking five for overkill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

What crime was committed?

Sounds like he was shooting in the burbs.

no fucks given on that charge, but the "assault weapon" was most likely a semi auto .22LR with a detachable magazine. Either that, or he shot a squirrel with an actual rifle, in which case, high fucking five for overkill.

This ^
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top