Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A post above states he saved $60/month on his power bill, WTF?  With HVAC, water heating, cooking, and lighting, I rarely have a total elect bill of $60 in one month.  For the above mentioned lighting, that house must be used as a landmark at night for the Space Station.

Not everyone lives the same or pays the same per KWh for electricity. My electric bill averages $400 a month.

My 12 month avg is $151.35 per month at 8.5 cents per KWH.  Hell our pool uses $50 a month of that alone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I replaced almost all of the incandescent bulbs with LED's, I replaced all of the CFL's with LED's.
I keep a couple of 100 watt incandescent bulbs in the kitchen and the bathroom.
My electrical bill went down by almost $20 a month on average during the following 6 month period.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

60w are $7.97 the local Home Depot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am looking forward to the price of these coming down about 50%.

$13 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Cree-9-5-Watt-White-2700K-Light/dp/B00BYG7O8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396732179&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+light+bulb
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My 60 watt ones are cold to the touch...  I'm surprised that 75 watt versions get hot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have about 30 Cree bulbs in my house (40, 60, and 75 watt equivalents).  I replaced many of the 100w equivalent CFLs with the 75w Cree LEDs.  I wish I knew they were coming out with a 100w version or I would have waited .  

The 75w bulbs get pretty hot so I worry how long the circuit boards will last.  The 100w versions I'm sure will only be hotter.
My 60 watt ones are cold to the touch...  I'm surprised that 75 watt versions get hot.  
The "bulb" part is cool to the touch...the heat sink below it is 2nd degree burn territory.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$13 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Cree-9-5-Watt-White-2700K-Light/dp/B00BYG7O8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396732179&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+light+bulb

Yep. Still cheaper at Home Depot unless you are in Europe with a nice high VAT.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's an example of savings:

Lets say you have a room with 4 100w lights that are on an average of 4 hours a day and replace those with 4 18w LEDs.

Before replacement - 400w x 4hrs = 1.6KWh per day, at $0.16 per KWh (what I pay for electricity) that equals $0.26 a day or $93.44 a year.

After replacement - 18w x 4hrs = 0.288KWh per day, at $0.16 per KWh (what I pay for electricity) that equals $0.05 a day or $16.82 a year.

That is a saving in electricity of $76.62 per year for 4 bulbs, in other words the bulbs pay for themselves in just over a year.

But they have a 20 year lifespan, during which time you would probably buy 20 replacement bulbs at $1 each, so $20 (bulbs) + 20 x $76.62 = savings of $15.52.40 over 20 years for just one room and 4 bulbs.

View Quote

Except they won't last 20 years.
I pay 5.57 cents per kwh for the first 30kwh per day
then 8.26 cents per kwh after that
And here a 75W equivalent LED bulb(from a reputable manufacturer) sells for like 35$

My savings are quite the same as yours. Oh and our benevolent government banned incandescent light bulbs too
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Excellent.

Now if only they crank out more than soft white.  Something closer to 4300K
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$13 with free shipping

$4.97 each at Home Depot
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
good plan.

I don't know why all these cfl and LED makers think that I want to replace 60 or 75 watt traditional bulbs with more efficient versions.

I want bright.

View Quote

Derp

Led is bright.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Derp

Led is bright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good plan.

I don't know why all these cfl and LED makers think that I want to replace 60 or 75 watt traditional bulbs with more efficient versions.

I want bright.

Derp

Led is bright.

Derp'd yourself.

You're saying a 8 watt LED is brighter than a 12 watt LED.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I am going to buy these for my outdoor fixtures and replace my internal bulbs as they fail. Long life LED with no chem hazard like the CFLs
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:34:43 AM EDT
[#13]
how do LED's compare to CFL's which I currently have in my house? What are the advantages?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My 5 pack showed up yesterday.  Installed one in the dining room and that thing is nice.  Very good clean light.  No warm up time.  
Going to put a few out in the barn to see how my wife likes them.  

CHRIS
View Quote

That is the thing that makes CFLs  obsolete now. No warm up time and LEDs don't break easily.

With color temp around 4500 (sunlight), they appear to be about right. I noticed that the cooler the tint is, the more lumens you get. So cool white (bordering on ugly blue tint) has more lumens than 2700K. But 3500-4500 is about right.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I replaced the 60 watt incandescents in my kitchen with the cree 60w and I am pleased with the results, same type of light and output.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is the thing that makes CFLs  obsolete now. No warm up time and LEDs don't break easily.

With color temp around 4500 (sunlight), they appear to be about right. I noticed that the cooler the tint is, the more lumens you get. So cool white (bordering on ugly blue tint) has more lumens than 2700K. But 3500-4500 is about right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 5 pack showed up yesterday.  Installed one in the dining room and that thing is nice.  Very good clean light.  No warm up time.  
Going to put a few out in the barn to see how my wife likes them.  

CHRIS

I find that what you consider "just right" makes a home look like an operating room. Very harsh, brittle quality to light, headache-inducing, I prefer a warmer light. To each their own. I have the soft whites in every lamp now, and my power bill fell off a cliff.

I picked up one of these new ones, it's in use as a mechanical room bulb, much brighter and safer in a pullchain socket than incandescent or CFL.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I find that what you consider "just right" makes a home look like an operating room. Very harsh, brittle quality to light, headache-inducing, I prefer a warmer light. To each their own. I have the soft whites in every lamp now, and my power bill fell off a cliff.

I picked up one of these new ones, it's in use as a mechanical room bulb, much brighter and safer in a pullchain socket than incandescent or CFL.
View Quote

Yeah, 3000K is about as high as you want to go if you don't like that "white" type of light.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
how do LED's compare to CFL's which I currently have in my house? What are the advantages?
View Quote

Those two are actually very similar that most realize.  Both have the same set of main modules, but differ on the light emitter and the driver to power the light emitter.  The one big difference is the CFL does not need heatsink like LED bulbs do.

So the modules in the chain are:

voltage >  driver > light emitter > phosphor >  light you see

The voltage is the same, from the lamp's socket as this is part of the A19 standard which is the classic light bulb we know.

The driver is what modifies the voltage, current, etc., to provide the required power by the light emitter.  The difference here is that LED's do not need a high voltage spike to vaporize the mercury like CFLs do to turn on, but LED's do require a constant source.  This is why CFL noticeably take much longer to turn on, and why it's performance varies by the temperature in it's surroundings. Just like CFL's, much of the LED's bulb life is in the quality of the driver (or ballast which is the proper term for CFLs).

The light emitter is completely different.  CFLs use mercury vapor as it's light emitter, while LEDs use a passive semiconductor diode.

In turn, the light emitter excites the phosphor coating on the outside, and it's that phosphor coating we see as light.  For LED bulbs, it's that yellow coating you see inside the outer glass bulb, or in the case of the Lumileds L-prize bulb, you see it quite clearly.  If you look at a LED flash light, you can see the yellow coating on the LED itself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Derp

Led is bright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good plan.

I want bright.

Derp

Led is bright.

I'm talking about the availability of led/cfl replacements for 100w incandescent bulbs.

derp yourself
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#20]
How well do the LED bulbs handle fixtures prone to surges/dirty power?

I have a fixture in the kitchen that seems to blow out incandescent bulbs all the time for that reason. Would an LED survive better?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Most articles compare old Edison-era incandescent bulbs to new LED bulbs.  

The real comparison should be new fluorescent bulbs to new LED bulbs.  

There isn't a huge difference in operating cost (fluorescent vs LED).  It doesn't make sense to pay $19.97 for a LED bulb that will save ~$1/year over a  fluorescent bulb.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Not me, from the review at the link, hopefully BS idiot and not true,

Bought 20, 3 have already failed in first 3 months. They were mostly off during this time so have less than 100 hours. For $20 a wack, that is poor performance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a bunch of flood lights in the kitchen (recessed) that we always leave on. We are bad about shutting them off. The CFL bulbs are just miserable. They are dim, take 10 minutes to reach full brightness, and dont' even come on sometimes (for what reason I don't know).

Started replacing them with $18 65W LED floods from cree. Night and day difference. Instant on, better light, brighter. Full brightness immediately. Oh yeah, and they are dimmable too. So I am going to replace all 9 bulbs with LED eventually, despite the cost. They should last for a very long time and only use something like 10W each.

I hate CFLs, pretty much everything about them.
I love everything about LED lighting except the price, which will come down.

ETA: Article says, "100W" bulb uses 18 watts, should last for 20 years, and is made in the USA... I need one of these for my garage...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a bunch of flood lights in the kitchen (recessed) that we always leave on. We are bad about shutting them off. The CFL bulbs are just miserable. They are dim, take 10 minutes to reach full brightness, and dont' even come on sometimes (for what reason I don't know).

Started replacing them with $18 65W LED floods from cree. Night and day difference. Instant on, better light, brighter. Full brightness immediately. Oh yeah, and they are dimmable too. So I am going to replace all 9 bulbs with LED eventually, despite the cost. They should last for a very long time and only use something like 10W each.

I hate CFLs, pretty much everything about them.

I love everything about LED lighting except the price, which will come down.

ETA: Article says, "100W" bulb uses 18 watts, should last for 20 years, and is made in the USA... I need one of these for my garage...
View Quote

I've noticed that CFLs fail when they are installed in an inverted position (screw at the top).  The heat probably rises and cooks the electronics.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Almost 6 pages and I get to post the WAT ! Troll 1st.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#26]
The law banned 40, 60, and 100 watt bulbs "by name"  but there's nothing to prevent the bulb manufacturers

from making 35, 55, and 95 watt bulbs.

I don't think it even keeps you from making 99 or 101 watt bulbs.

The problem I see with all this is the "end of civilization" scenario.

LED bulb manufacture is unquestionably a HIGH technology industry.  You're NOT going to scratch-build your own in your

workshop with simple tools.

But an incandescent bulb is not much of a trick.   You need a vacuum pump,  someone who can blow glass,  and some

basic metalworking tools, along with a supply of wire of various kinds, including (most importantly) tungsten wire.

Probably half the arfcommers who think of themselves as tinkerers/handymen/inventors would be able to follow Edison's work

and create usable light bulbs faster than HE did,  because the successful formulas for incandescent light bulbs are well established.

It's an electrically heated wire in a glass bulb with no oxygen in the bulb.   A low pressure argon environment works best.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

and I guarantee in any area that sees regular use you will save many multiples of that $20 over the next few years in electricity and replacement bulbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

and I guarantee in any area that sees regular use you will save many multiples of that $20 over the next few years in electricity and replacement bulbs.

I have a heavy duty shop type, 75 watt , .50 cent incandescent  bulb at the back porch that stays on nearly 24/7, and hasn't been replaced since my dad had his stroke. He's the one that replaced it. That was in Dec 2008, he died two years ago. I still haven't touched it. One on the front porch was the same way, until it was stolen a year ago.

I don't see how you save money over that. There just isn't enough energy consumption difference, not at .10 cents per like it is here , to negate the $19.50 difference.

Not all my bulbs are like that, I have bought cheapos for inside, and buy 2 boxes of four per year on average for a whopping $3.

I also have one cfl that was part of 2 four packs ( two houses so 16 bulbs ) given out by the power company back in . They didn't last any longer than the heavy duty incandescent bulbs ( other than the one ), and I've seen no change in the power bill. I'm sure there is some, but I will bet you it is at most $3 a month when all the main lights in the home were cfl. That will not in any way negate the cost of purchase.

I have more hope for LEDs, and will likely replace the standard bulbs one at a time.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bought 20, 3 have already failed in first 3 months. They were mostly off during this time so have less than 100 hours. For $20 a wack, that is poor performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've had the CREEs in service for over a year, on constantly. Maybe you have dirty power/lots of spikes?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

View Quote

I just bought several of the cree 60W equivalents at Home Depot for $6.97 ea.  That price appears to be good only at certain stores with a local partnership with the power company. The Home Depot is in Georgia Power territory.

I expect the price on all will continue to come down and LED lighting is the way to go as more products are offered.

If they really last as long as they promise, its worth it. Runs pretty cool and lighting is just as good as incandescent. I figure it will save quite a bit in the summer due to decrease of A/C load. I think it actually consumes about 14 watts.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The law banned 40, 60, and 100 watt bulbs "by name"  but there's nothing to prevent the bulb manufacturers

View Quote

Where are you getting this?  GD?

https://web.archive.org/web/20110815105621/http://www.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/08Mar/RS22822.pdf
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of LED, but hate the federal government for telling me what to do.  FBHO and all the rest of the tyrants running this place.

View Quote

this
I started using CFL years ago, long before any bans and restrictions were passed, but I am totally against the gov't forcing a particular bulb type.
Incandescents still have their place for certain uses
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The problem I see with all this is the "end of civilization" scenario.

LED bulb manufacture is unquestionably a HIGH technology industry.  You're NOT going to scratch-build your own in your
workshop with simple tools.

But an incandescent bulb is not much of a trick.   You need a vacuum pump,  someone who can blow glass,  and some
basic metalworking tools, along with a supply of wire of various kinds, including (most importantly) tungsten wire.

Probably half the arfcommers who think of themselves as tinkerers/handymen/inventors would be able to follow Edison's work
and create usable light bulbs faster than HE did,  because the successful formulas for incandescent light bulbs are well established.

It's an electrically heated wire in a glass bulb with no oxygen in the bulb.   A low pressure argon environment works best.

View Quote

So will we see the ATF&E& LIGHTS raiding glass mfgs for selling 81% bulbs?
Also are we still able to mfg these bulbs without a mfg license as long as they are for our own personal use?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

full brightness immediately is the big thing. some of my cfls have a noticeable "warm up" time where they're dimmer
I think the leds are also less wattage for the same lumen output
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

full brightness immediately is the big thing. some of my cfls have a noticeable "warm up" time where they're dimmer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the LEDs work better at low temp as well?

I have a few outdoor yard lights that I like to keep on every night. During MN winters the CFL bulbs get so dim to be nearly worthless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lets say you have a room with 4 100w lights that are on an average of 4 hours a day and replace those with 4 18w LEDs.

Before replacement - 400w x 4hrs = 1.6KWh per day, at $0.16 per KWh (what I pay for electricity) that equals $0.26 a day or $93.44 a year.

After replacement - 18w x 4hrs = 0.288KWh per day, at $0.16 per KWh (what I pay for electricity) that equals $0.05 a day or $16.82 a year.

That is a saving in electricity of $76.62 per year for 4 bulbs, in other words the bulbs pay for themselves in just over a year.

But they have a 20 year lifespan, during which time you would probably buy 20 replacement bulbs at $1 each, so $20 (bulbs) + 20 x $76.62 = savings of $15.52.40 over 20 years for just one room and 4 bulbs.

View Quote

I didn't realize just how efficient LED bulbs can be. As my current bulbs burn our i'll be replacing them with LED.  One dumb question: Can LED bulbs be used in ceiling fans that have a dimmer switch?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I didn't realize just how efficient LED bulbs can be. As my current bulbs burn our i'll be replacing them with LED.  One dumb question: Can LED bulbs be used in ceiling fans that have a dimmer switch?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the one mentioned in the first post in this thread claims to be dimmable
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case then I'm going to replace the lights in my house one room at a time. I have 6 recessed lights in the kitchen that stay on for hours at a time and those will be the first to go as a test.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, I'm looking/waiting for LEDs that fit ceiling fans lights. Ones that don't cost an arm and a leg when buying 4 of them at once.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, I'm looking/waiting for LEDs that fit ceiling fans lights. Ones that don't cost an arm and a leg when buying 4 of them at once.
View Quote

Me too, I just tried one of the 100w LEDs and it is bright, just would like it whiter for  where I put it
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#40]
By the time I run out of neckbearded incandescents they might be cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
By the time I run out of neckbearded incandescents they might be cheaper.
View Quote

lol. same here. I have a few hundrad 100 watts in the closet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#42]
If you guys are going to use LED dimmable bulbs you have to install a LED dimmable switch at the wall also.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I imagine in colder climates this would be the case. In the South it would be a benefit to not have the excess heat to cool back down. It's highly dependent on where you live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

Considering it lasts well over 11 years, and doesn't waste energy, by turning it to heat, its a good deal. While I disagree with a ban, and it should be left up to the people to decide, in the long run, its much cheaper than incandescent.
Yup.

Just because it puts out heat, doesn't mean the energy is wasted.  I'd guess about 2/3 of the time that the average person used incandescent lights, the heat was a beneficial side effect.  In some situations an incandescent light is an economical method of providing heat to a small area.

I imagine in colder climates this would be the case. In the South it would be a benefit to not have the excess heat to cool back down. It's highly dependent on where you live.

My bedroom used to be warmed by a PC with an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800 MHz processor during the winter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:12:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
100 watt equivalent or 100 watt actual.

With LED there is a HUGE difference.

a 100 watt actual LED is enough to run a grow operation off of.
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking. An actual 100 watt LED would produce an insane amount of light. Probably wayyyy too much to be a useful average household lightbulb. It would also be one hell of a deal at only $20.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:13:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wonder what k it puts out? 2700k, 5000k?
What is the best for inside a house?
View Quote

2700 - 3000 look good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I have 18 100 watt incandescents. At my current rate of use, that's like 9 years worth of bulbs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
So for me, who uses 16th of that amount of lighting (1 bulb, 1 hour per day), it would take me 16 years to pay off that LED.

Not to mention, with electric heating, any lighting I use when it is cool outside is not wasted.  That heat heats my home in the exact same way my heaters would.  So you may as well reduce your lighting savings by the number of months you have your heater on.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread got me very intrigued, especially sign my cfl bulbs buzzed in most my dimmable sockets. They also said they were dimmable but they flickered.

I figured my approximate savings per bulb on rough estimates of time usage and my standard $0.27/kWh on my bill (thanks southern CA )

I went to home depot and bought a few of the 60w Cree for 7.97 ea and I am impressed. A few more lumens that original, perfectly dimmable and no buzz. plus i will be saving a few bucks per room, per month!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I think someone already asked this but here it goes.

I have outdoor fixtures that state 60w max bulb. Can I use the 100w CREE LED equivalent since it only draws 18w?

Just to get more lighting  outside where I need it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Gradually replacing all my house's incandescent and CFL bulbs by LEDs also.  I love the whiter light output, my wife hates it.  She likes better the yellowish color.   She's getting more used to it now.   Two things hold me back from doing everything: price and the thought os waste if I throw away good bulbs.

Also replaced my Jeep's headlights by LED and put a 40in LED lightbar on top.  Literally portable daylight.  

Getting addicted to this thing...

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top