[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You sure have made it your personal crusade to make sure we all know
about your opinion on the matter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Crap, next thing you know, you'll be telling me Aliens was fiction.  dammit!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You just described the movie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long story short; there was a 4 man SEAL recon team on Sawtalo Sar looking for Ahmad Shah. They were compromised, ambushed, and 3 of them killed. There was a rescue MH-47 with SEALs and 160th SOAR personnel that was shot down, killing all hands on board. Marcus Luttrell was taken in by a village, and rescued.

Haha. No shit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Crap, next thing you know, you'll be telling me Aliens was fiction.  dammit!!
View Quote

Newt was never in it and there were only 87 xenomorphs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I stopped being interested in Victory Point when he posted this gem as fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A note on the "vote": In Lone Survivor, and countless articles written about Red Wings, Lieutenant Michael Murphy supposedly put to vote whether to kill unarmed Afghan civilians who soft compromised his team. This ended up being a central pillar to the overall story, and hence, countless blog and online discussoin board posts (and print and online articles) on rules of engagement and morality in warfare. Murphy placing something like this up to vote almost certainly did not happen. I'm so certain that it did not happen that I'm going to just say that it did not happen. After reading this in Lone Survivor, I re-interviewed the Marines who had intimate knowledge of Luttrell's after action. All those I re-interviewed stated that nothing in the AAR said anything about a vote.

Why do you doubt this part?

I have heard that the AAR is not available to the public, but that certain folks in the Military with the proper clearance can read it. It would be great if someone could read it and share their thoughts on it.

He does say that there is nothing in Luttrell's AAR about a vote. Maybe he means just that, that there was no vote. They might have still discussed killing them though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
In before the OP's meltdown................................................
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I am not holding anything against you.

Quoted:

Yes...yes....I was a bit pissed yesterday. I miiiiiiight have taken my anger a bit too far.

Please, don't hold that against me in this thread.

And for the record......I LOLd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I called amazon and got expedited shipping, but then I think you already know about expedited shipping.

did you have to pay more?

Yes...yes....I was a bit pissed yesterday. I miiiiiiight have taken my anger a bit too far.

Please, don't hold that against me in this thread.

And for the record......I LOLd.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Already happened....a few pages back.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The truth?

I like reality and the truth, and figure other people do too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, why do you care so much?

The truth?

You should come on down to Texas and confront Marcus to his face for being a liar. Please post a video of this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have heard that the AAR is not available to the public, but that certain folks in the Military with the proper clearance can read it. It would be great if someone could read it and share their thoughts on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A note on the "vote": In Lone Survivor, and countless articles written about Red Wings, Lieutenant Michael Murphy supposedly put to vote whether to kill unarmed Afghan civilians who soft compromised his team. This ended up being a central pillar to the overall story, and hence, countless blog and online discussoin board posts (and print and online articles) on rules of engagement and morality in warfare. Murphy placing something like this up to vote almost certainly did not happen. I'm so certain that it did not happen that I'm going to just say that it did not happen. After reading this in Lone Survivor, I re-interviewed the Marines who had intimate knowledge of Luttrell's after action. All those I re-interviewed stated that nothing in the AAR said anything about a vote.

Mr. Luttrell doesn't strike me as a liar. This guy is indirectly calling Marcus a Liar here.
This guy also comes off as a Marine who is butt hurt that they didn't get a bigger part in the lone Survivor story, and is now actively trying to generate buzz around his story.
People tend to make inflammatory statements in order to generate buzz for something they are trying to sell.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#11]
In before someone sends a link to this thread to  @MarcusLuttrell.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You should come on down to Texas and confront Marcus to his face for being a lier. Please post a video of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

You should come on down to Texas and confront Marcus to his face for being a lier. Please post a video of this.

I'll kick in for part of the plane ticket...kickstarter style. First few contributors get first viewing on the exchange?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We haven't seen nothing yet
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Why are you guys so emotionally invested in the Hollywood version of the story?

Epic fuckups have been part of every military campaign in history, and the truth doesn't detract from the heroism of those involved.  

The truth is always more interesting than propaganda.

And why do you feel that correcting Lutrell's version of the incident is calling him a "Liar"?       That's just childish.

It's well known that eye witnesses have a skewed memory of traumatic events.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Mr. Luttrell doesn't strike me as a liar. This guy is indirectly calling Marcus a Liar here.
This guy also comes off as a Marine who is butt hurt that they didn't get a bigger part in the lone Survivor story, and is now actively trying to generate buzz around his story.
People tend to make inflammatory statements in order to generate buzz for something they are trying to sell.
View Quote

I think Marcus has lied, repeatedly, to stay with the story as written.

But, I also think he is in a really tough position, and forced to do so. A really, really tough position between respecting his fallen brothers, pressure from the Navy, wanting to keep the story as positive as possible, his own tough times in dealing with what happened, of being the lone survivor of a really fucked-up situation, and whatever other personal reasons he has for doing so. But, to be fair, I haven't watched all of his interviews, I'm just going by what others have said about those interviews.

Keep in mind, Ed Darak is a journalist, not a Marine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Epic fuckups have been part of every military campaign in history, and the truth doesn't detract from the heroism of those involved.  

View Quote

I just don't like the OP coming in here acting like he's saving us from something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

But, I also think he is in a really tough position, and forced to do so. A really, really tough position between respecting his fallen brothers, pressure from the Navy, wanting to keep the story as positive as possible, his own tough times in dealing with what happened, of being the lone survivor of a really fucked-up situation, and whatever other personal reasons he has for doing so. But, to be fair, I haven't watched all of his interviews, I'm just going by what others have said about those interviews.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:Mr. Luttrell doesn't strike me as a liar. This guy is indirectly calling Marcus a Liar here.

who writes both fiction and nonfiction.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Insults are the last bastion of the intellectually defeated. If you have something to add to the discussion, feel free to do so. Other than that, it would be appreciated if we could not act like junior high students.

Plus, we're not talking about comparing the film to reality. This thread is about comparing the BOOK to reality.
View Quote

That's rich coming from you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No doubt the same dynamic occured with Alvin York, Audie Murphy, and countless others.  Reality doesn't make good stories.  Professional storytellers, taking elements of reality and incorporating them into a story, is what makes good stories.  I don't think that makes him a liar, just a guy who knows how the machine works and is playing his part.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long story short; there was a 4 man SEAL recon team on Sawtalo Sar looking for Ahmad Shah. They were compromised, ambushed, and 3 of them killed. There was a rescue MH-47 with SEALs and 160th SOAR personnel that was shot down, killing all hands on board. Marcus Luttrell was taken in by a village, and rescued.

And the book.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll kick in for part of the plane ticket...kickstarter style. First few contributors get first viewing on the exchange?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

Let me ask the above posters; if you were on a plane, sitting next to Marcus for hours, what would you ask him?

Keep in mind, I'm suggesting something as close to real life as possible, not some kindergarten fantasy. Marcus would no more kick my or anyone else's ass for asking if/why he's supporting a fictional account of what happened. He's an adult, he is able to handle life's little awkward moments. And I would bet money someone already has asked exactly that question, including some of his fallen team mate's families.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

Shit I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I only picked out the part about the goat herders due to the 5+ page thread on the topic over the last few days. I didn't hit on the part about the goat herders for any other particular reason. That part of the book, as written, makes absolutely no sense based on the facts that are available.

First, the ROEs were definitive and well understood, so the idea about the recon team debating killing the herders doesn't sound correct to me.
Because regardless of ROE a group of SEAL's (not the typical infantry squad of 18-22 year olds) would never discuss what to do next as a bunch of professionals right?

Secondly, the time-line between the recon team's first call of "We are soft compromised" to their second call of "We are hard compromised" also does not line up with them debating killing them.
So such a question among themselves could only happen if the senior sailor on site gaveled a meeting, served appetizers and first read minutes of the prior meeting. Maybe it was a 15 second whispered "what do we do now?" among professional colleagues that was then dramatized in the recounting.

I will admit that this particular point does not have any corroborating facts (so why are you choosing it to rail against) to either support or dismiss the idea that they debated killing them. The possibility that they did still exists. However, since so many other parts of the book are unquestionably incorrect, it sheds doubt on that part as well for me.
Because God forbid a book (or movie) take poetic/dramatic license to increase suspense or action OR to hide actual procedures OR minimize bad decisions made.

So, the larger picture (for me) is that there is a really incredible, and true, story that I think people here would enjoy even more than the fictionalized account of what happened.
For a host of reasons the really, really, really true story typically doesn't come out ESPECIALLY when selling to the public is involved.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A journalist is about a trustworthy as a politician in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just don't like the OP coming in here acting like he's saving us from something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, really?

Can you just stop beating that drum? I get it, you don't like me, don't like this thread, don't like the topic......I got it.

So why are you still posting here? No one is forcing you to stay. There are other threads you can crap in......tons and tons of them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the link he posted?    It seems informative and well researched.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Let me ask the above posters; if you were on a plane, sitting next to Marcus for hours, what would you ask him?

Keep in mind, I'm suggesting something as close to real life as possible, not some kindergarten fantasy. Marcus would no more kick my or anyone else's ass for asking if/why he's supporting a fictional account of what happened. He's an adult, he is able to handle life's little awkward moments. And I would bet money someone already has asked exactly that question, including some of his fallen team mate's families.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

I wouldn't ask him shit it's not my place to question his account of the events nor is it yours. I wasn't there and neither were you or Ed Darack. I'd buy him a beer
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of us already knew.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Shit I'm in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

Shit I'm in.

Perhaps invite Marcus into this thread and forum?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
OP have you messaged Mr. Luttrell on twitter or Facebook, I'm sure he'd be happy to have a discussion with you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:A journalist is about a trustworthy as a politician in my experience.
View Quote

That depends. Check out the appendix of supporting information in "Victory Point", that is the part that gives credence to Darak's book for me.

It's one thing to trust a person's written word, it's another to trust well documented, well fact-checked written words.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

I would do like I do with most "famous" people I have met.  For example, I asked Neal Armstrong what it was like to land on a carrier for the first time,   Asked the Prime. Minister of Canada if it was weird handing out business cards (he gave me one during a meeting.  I would probably ask him about his charity work, which is what I did when I met him.

As for comparing someone on an airplane sitting by  Luttrell, to the family of those he served with you are a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Timeout. You are telling us to expand our knowledge on Operation Red Wings, saying Luttrell is full of crap and Darack is the expert on a mission he was not part of, nor did interview the survivor of, and you haven't even listened to Luttrell. How about you take your own advice?

I get that numbers were changed and things were sensationalized in Lone Survivor. But some of the issues Darack points our are petty and miss the point of the book. Red Wing vs Red Wings. END OF THE WORLD! Saying the book is a complete work of fiction is taking it the opposite extreme of calling it the gospel. The point is men fought and died. There were some pretty big screw ups. Lessons should be taken from the mission. People should see what we send our men into.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why would you assume that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's ask Buzz Aldrin how that plays out in real life.  

Edit: Damnit RA

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think his assumption is wrong and his little interrogation of Marcus wouldn't end well for him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:I wouldn't ask him shit it's not my place to question his account of the events nor is it yours. I wasn't there and neither were you or Ed Darack. I'd buy him a beer
View Quote

O.k., then why are you suggesting that I do so? I could sit next to Marcus for hours, and I wouldn't bother asking him anything about what happened. That would be beyond rude.

You seem to be dying to take affront, on Marcus' behalf, for what I and others have posted in this thread. Why? Do you believe this is some sort of personal attack on Marcus? If so, how is discussing the differences between two books, with wildly differing accounts of what happened, an attack?

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That depends. Check out the appendix of supporting information in "Victory Point", that is the part that gives credence to Darak's book for me.

It's one thing to trust a person's written word, it's another to trust well documented, well fact-checked written words.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:A journalist is about a trustworthy as a politician in my experience.

How old are you?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's ask Buzz Aldrin how that plays out in real life.  

Edit: Damnit RA

Your finding the video cost you the 35 seconds needed.
It wasn't finding the video, it was watching the whole 1:46 for the glorious bounty laid upon that fuckheads face.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you assume something different?

Do you really believe that Marcus would go ape-shit if someone did confront him about the inaccuracies in Lone Survivor? Because, as I already stated, I would be willing to bet that has already happened.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Will you say that there are some things his teammates families could ask of him that in no way in hell do you have the right to?

Quoted:

Do you really believe that Marcus would go ape-shit if someone did confront him about the inaccuracies in Lone Survivor? Because, as I already stated, I would be willing to bet that has already happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:I would do like I do with most "famous" people I have met.  For example, I asked Neal Armstrong what it was like to land on a carrier for the first time,   Asked the Prime. Minister of Canada if it was weird handing out business cards (he gave me one during a meeting.  I would probably ask him about his charity work, which is what I did when I met him.

As for comparing someone on an airplane sitting by  Luttrell, to the family of those he served with you are a fucking idiot.
View Quote

I posted "including" the families of those he served with. Did you miss that point, or are you just so hell-bent on attacking me you can't stop yourself?

Christ dude, chill the fuck out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you really believe most men would act kindly to being called or suggested to being a liar?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless, his OP reeks of salesmanship.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

He does say that there is nothing in Luttrell's AAR about a vote. Maybe he means just that, that there was no vote. They might have still discussed killing them though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is it's a classified document, and you want somebody with a clearance to read it and share classified information with people not authorized to have access to that information? How about no.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top