User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sweep increases lateral directional stability, so sometimes anhedral is used to reduce the effect.  The high location is a contributor but not as strong as sweep.  Anhedral in low wings may cause the engines to drag.

These airplanes are not rigid, so deflection is taken into account, too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about anhedral versus dihedral? A C-17 or C-5 looks like it has anhedral, while all the commercial planes have significant amounts of dihedral. It seems like it would be difficult to have anhedral on a low wing. Are the military transports designed for less lateral stability, or is there something else at play?  

ETA I guess having a high wing let's you get away with less dihedral, but there seems to be a pretty big difference... maybe more than enough to be explained by that.

The anhedral/dihedral decision is strongly based on the wing sweep, not on the "logical" pendulum effect of a high wing.  Modern stability aids allow overcoming weak lateral directional stability, so one configuration might rely on less dihedral or anhedral for some other reason, knowing it can be made up electronically.

I was under the impression that high wing was inherently more stable, hence the anhedral to balance high wing stability with the anhedral's increased maneuverability.

Sweep increases lateral directional stability, so sometimes anhedral is used to reduce the effect.  The high location is a contributor but not as strong as sweep.  Anhedral in low wings may cause the engines to drag.

These airplanes are not rigid, so deflection is taken into account, too.

That's a bad thing, right?  
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have a lot of good things to say about it...where are your friends stationed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lockheed's been lying to the bill payer for a loooooooong time about reliability.  

My friends that fly C-5s have almost nothing good to say about that plane, ESPECIALLY in the reliability dept.

But it's plausible deniability when the plane "breaks down" in Germany, and you can spend a few days at the biergarten while they fix it.  

I have a lot of good things to say about it...where are your friends stationed?

I enjoyed watching them taxi, take off and all that jazz... but according to the crew chiefs on a good day only about 50% of them on the line were flyable.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you think something is wrong with the plane, Germany is a good place to get it checked out.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lockheed's been lying to the bill payer for a loooooooong time about reliability.  

My friends that fly C-5s have almost nothing good to say about that plane, ESPECIALLY in the reliability dept.

But it's plausible deniability when the plane "breaks down" in Germany, and you can spend a few days at the biergarten while they fix it.  

serial lying about maintenance while collecting TDY and avoiding missions is a matter of pride in airlift units it appears.

If you think something is wrong with the plane, Germany is a good place to get it checked out.  

Even you don't think something is wrong with the plane, Germany is a good place to get it checked out.

Hawaii, too.

I hear Rota is popular.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Even you don't think something is wrong with the plane, Germany is a good place to get it checked out.

Hawaii, too.

I hear Rota is popular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

serial lying about maintenance while collecting TDY and avoiding missions is a matter of pride in airlift units it appears.

Hawaii, too.

I hear Rota is popular.

Rota and Germany have MX support available there. Other places... not so much.  Plus, the beer is tasty in Germany and the wine is great in Spain.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Prop driven aircraft with wing mounted engines need a high wing mount for obvious reasons.
Look at how tall the landing gear is on the Connie.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/2/1/0095128.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will have to ask my BIL this question since he works on the C130 line and see if he can get an answer about this.

Prop driven aircraft with wing mounted engines need a high wing mount for obvious reasons.
Look at how tall the landing gear is on the Connie.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/2/1/0095128.jpg

Could have had shorter gear had they spread that HP out over a four-bladed prop but long, three-bladed props are quieter and a little more fuel-efficient.  Another civie vs. .mil aircraft difference.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it is a main operating base for us where we get MX done...go figure.  Why wouldn't you go there?  Even if something is slightly wrong wouldn't you want it fixed before going down range or over the pond?  I sure do because broken in Afg with no MX fucks up a lot of shit for everyone else and shit broken over the Atlantic isn't too fun either.  In my 10+ years of flying I have never been on a crew where things were intentionally broken. Usually when shit is broken, it is out of our control. Like this:

And in the infinite awesomeness that FRED is, the picture is upside down for some dumb reason.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeCVYTiIWg

Not really "landing" is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dirt.
Mil aircraft have to be able to land gear up and take off again. Look up pics, they used to test them at Sicily DZ, pretty cool shit.
And Mil don't care if the cargo aka passengers are sitting right next to a loud engine.
Also requires less caution when operating GSE and other equipment vehicles in close proximity.

This?

Nah.
Guess memory failed me, could have sworn I'd seen a pic of a gear up landing on one of the Bragg DZs captioned that it was a test to meet a requirement, not to develop SOP or anything. Can't find anything on it, sorry for the mis information.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dirt.
Mil aircraft have to be able to land gear up and take off again. Look up pics, they used to test them at Sicily DZ, pretty cool shit.
And Mil don't care if the cargo aka passengers are sitting right next to a loud engine.
Also requires less caution when operating GSE and other equipment vehicles in close proximity.
View Quote

Guess you've never flown as a passenger on a Boeing 727, at least not in the rear seats......
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
may of already been touched on, but a coworker said maybe it's for the sound... less sound for the passengers. Whiny little bitches.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Podded engines on the -47 and 707 were designed to facilitate maintenance, esp. In the days of low TBOs of early jet engines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nah.
Guess memory failed me, could have sworn I'd seen a pic of a gear up landing on one of the Bragg DZs captioned that it was a test to meet a requirement, not to develop SOP or anything. Can't find anything on it, sorry for the mis information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dirt.

This?

Nah.

may have been LAPES
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... military utilize unimproved runways and adverse landing condition, commercial no

View Quote

This. Generally want to keep rocks and other shit OUT of the engines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Why was the P2 Neptune Mid Wing, it ran through the middle of the fuselage? It was a pain to traverse from front to rear as you had to climb over the wing inside.

Why was it's replacement, low wing? Wouldn't the low wing hinder looking down for submarines?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Northwest used to fly some of those high wing mount planes into Dallas. I don't remember the models.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Engines need to be higher so you don't suck a goat with an afghan attached to its ass through it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes... *laughing*... that's kind of what I was getting at...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Engines need to be higher so you don't suck a goat with an afghan attached to its ass through it.

Yes... *laughing*... that's kind of what I was getting at...

I lost.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Airliners have a floor near the mid line of the fuselage, passenger seats are above the floor and cargo space is below the floor and so is the wing spar.  These planes can't carry tall things like tanks and other tall .mil stuff.  

Military cargo planes need to be able to carry tall things, so the floor is very low in the fuselage and the wing spar is near the top of the fuselage.  

Then there is the unimproved runway/foreign object debris thing and the short field/short runway thing.  

Finally, in a .mil cargo plane it is good for the fuselage to be low to the ground for ease of loading and unloading via a ramp that is carried on the plane.   Cargo airliners don't accommodate drive on and drive off stuff, or parachute drop stuff.

Side note: low mounted wings have some dihedral and high wing planes have some anhedral.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Military cargo planes are usually designed to be able to easily get cargo into and out of the plane.  The ground level ramp allows that, and there is no need to lift cargo 15 feet in the air to get it in the plane.  Look at a 747 cargo vs a C-5/17/130/119/123/141.  Which design will allow loading large heavy cargo in the most efficient manner?
How would a Stryker fit in a 747?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You need to check the take off weights again. People weigh less than tanks.
View Quote

Max take off weight of a C-5M is 675,000 pounds. Max take off weight of an A380 passenger flight is 1,275,000 pounds. Tanks weigh a lot, but 500+ self loading freight weighs more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Max take off weight of a C-5M is 675,000 pounds. Max take off weight of an A380 passenger flight is 1,275,000 pounds. Tanks weigh a lot, but 500+ self loading freight weighs more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to check the take off weights again. People weigh less than tanks.

that max takeoff weight seemed a bit low and is.
Max takeoff weight (2.2 g) 840,000 lb

from this page
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/c5/c-5-specifications.html

maybe the TOW is limited for other reasons.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hawaii, too.

I hear Rota is popular.
View Quote

I don't know about now, but twenty years ago Shepard AFB was real popular when a new MIMSO class arrived.  The ENJJPT boys loved it too.  My honey and I used to sit at the Club and watch the feeding frenzy; it was a spectacle.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Dakota had low wings.

View Quote

And high landing gear (it was a tail-dragger).
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:11:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Nope, the original design was to incorporate an all passenger, all freight or combi freight plus passenger missions. All three were considered from the start, not just one. Boeing was putting the company at risk and so they went all in.

The 747-8 was designed to intrude into the A-380 cargo mission with an airplane that can carry lots of weight in a compact efficient package. The A-380 can carry lots of feathers.

I've watched a couple of AN-124 airplanes with loads that were just plain amazing. One was the guts of a bottling plant from Italy. Part was unloaded out the rear ramp, part was unloaded out the front. The airplane had to be stabilized so it couldn't squat on the ramp, and the front required erection of a bridge crane that to move the load onto a custom and extremely long trailer that looked like a bridge on wheels that was carefully lined up in front of the nose.

View Quote

And the USAF has specialized cargo handling equipment (K-loaders, etc.) to do what civilians have to customize, because civilians don't normally move cargo using these procedures.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dirt.

This?

LAPES.  If he lands it, he's doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know it's really a maintenance issue when the plane breaks in a shithole.

I flew from place to place several times o C-5s.  Never broke.  One brought me 'home' (to CONUS) from DESERT STORM - and it could have broken in Rota, but didn't.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:16:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
unimproved airfields.
View Quote

Zackly.

High wings keep intakes and parts away from shit on ground.

Nearly the ultimate in that attempt:

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#31]
The high wing aircraft have lower fuselages for driving vehicles/tanks onto.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Hawaii, too.

I hear Rota is popular.
View Quote

But not Tinker.  I knew the plane was really broke when we landed at Tinker.

Bangkok, Kinshasa (back in the day there were awesome buys on jewelry and flight crew stayed free in the InterCon where the SAS and Lufthansa stews stayed), etc. - it's usually a fault the MRT can't duplicate when they show up.

Had a C141 on final approach to Dakar break and turn around and fly 4 hours back to Kinshasa because that deal was sweeter than Dakar's.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend flew right seat in C-5s.  He has lots of pictures from exotic places, while the flying repair bill was downed for work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
High wing aircraft can get lower to the ground for drive-on/drive-off capabilities.  You would have to worry about high-centering long cargo (i.e. Helicopters, trailers, etc.) if you had an abrupt slope both from the cargo floor to the ramp and from the ramp to the ground. In the C-5 we can "forward kneel" to nearly eliminate this factor. Even with this ability, some cargo still needs shoring.

http://sci2.esa.int/hubble/webcam/images/Dcp_1071.jpg
View Quote

We has to make looooong ramps to get our boat trailers up in a C17.ill see if I can't find the pictures
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Stability
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#36]
So, lots of good reasons for high wing military aircraft have been provided. Not so much justification for low-wing commercial aircraft other than the advantage of stacking the cargo and passenger compartments. Does the low-wing design offer greater passenger comfort. Better visibility? Does one design inherently offer a calmer/smoother flight experience? Or is it just a case that the top deck design of the standard commercial jet is conducive to moving passengers on and off the aircraft?

BTW, I don't know these things. I'm just asking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top