BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have to hide the engine exaust from civ aircraft so passangers can't see chemtrail dispersing ops.
View Quote

OMG that's the only reason in this thread that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There are freighters, and then there are military freighters.  Civil freighters are designed around standard containers that don't require loading off the ends of the airplane.  The special cases are moving vehicles and manufacturing equipment, hence civil use of AN-124's and AN-224's, Guppies, or 'Lifters.

End loading is really not suitable for the tempo or space available during passenger operations, especially when the airplane has to be supported on jacks or a special loading fixture/floor is required, along with all the special equipment required to support the operation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to check the take off weights again. People weigh less than tanks.

Doesn't explain the 747 freighter.  

That's a conversion.

There are freighters, and then there are military freighters.  Civil freighters are designed around standard containers that don't require loading off the ends of the airplane.  The special cases are moving vehicles and manufacturing equipment, hence civil use of AN-124's and AN-224's, Guppies, or 'Lifters.

End loading is really not suitable for the tempo or space available during passenger operations, especially when the airplane has to be supported on jacks or a special loading fixture/floor is required, along with all the special equipment required to support the operation.

747 was designed as a freighter wasn't it?
thats why the cockpit was up high so they could put the nose hatch in.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It a really long story
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Additionally, roll on, roll off capability.  There are few cargo handling facilities at unimproved strips, so the cargo is closer to the ground.
View Quote
I'm sure this is part of it,  the spar carry though for the wing is not a inconsequential part.  I'm not sure about the C17 but the C5 can actually "squat" to get lower to the ground when you are loading it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a "cargo" 747 - But it shows why a high wing spar is better for military purposes:

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm also wondering which is the more efficient design, and I would think commercial keeping the aircraft more streamline.  We need some wind-tunnel and treadmill results

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And I would assume to keep the jet engines below the passengers, for both noise reduction and for a view out of the passenger cabin?

Just a W.A.G

I'm also wondering which is the more efficient design, and I would think commercial keeping the aircraft more streamline.  We need some wind-tunnel and treadmill results

fify
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like the high wing design, simply because Im not a fan of impacting on parts of the aircraft aft of the paratroop door......

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The Air Force's secret 1970s plan to use 747s as aircraft carriers

Here

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
2. Short take-off. With the flaps down and at take-off thrust the wing/ground effect can get you airborne witrh less distance.

m
View Quote

No.  Ground effect would be stronger with a lower wing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not necessarily designed as, but certainly designed with that in mind.
http://www.airspacemag.com/how-things-work/sweetman.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Dirt.
Mil aircraft have to be able to land gear up and take off again. Look up pics, they used to test them at Sicily DZ, pretty cool shit.
And Mil don't care if the cargo aka passengers are sitting right next to a loud engine.
Also requires less caution when operating GSE and other equipment vehicles in close proximity.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]
What about anhedral versus dihedral? A C-17 or C-5 looks like it has anhedral, while all the commercial planes have significant amounts of dihedral. It seems like it would be difficult to have anhedral on a low wing. Are the military transports designed for less lateral stability, or is there something else at play?

ETA I guess having a high wing let's you get away with less dihedral, but there seems to be a pretty big difference... maybe more than enough to be explained by that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#13]
On the other hand, how much quieter are commercial aircraft with the jets below the passenger level?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
The BAE 146 is obviously one of the exceptions for civilian livery jets.

Put the horizontal stabilizers in a T-tail configuration and you have better low-speed control (i.e., for approaches and paradrops).

The Kawasaki C1 reminded me of a military (jet) cargo plane that could fill the old C-47 role.

The Kawasaki C2 has a whole lot of visual similarity to the C17:

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#15]
A driving requirement for military cargo aircraft is to have the cargo floor height close to cargo floor height on trucks, so cargo can be rolled out the back of the cargo plane onto trucks to carry that cargo out to the field.  A high wing configuration aircraft provides the easiest way for aircraft manufacturers to meet that requirement.  Otherwise, very complex and heavy kneeling landing gear systems would be needed to get a low-wing aircraft's cargo floor down to that required height.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dirt.
Mil aircraft have to be able to land gear up and take off again. Look up pics, they used to test them at Sicily DZ, pretty cool shit.
And Mil don't care if the cargo aka passengers are sitting right next to a loud engine.
Also requires less caution when operating GSE and other equipment vehicles in close proximity.
View Quote

Ummm.  What?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Holy shit that's a lot of cruise missiles.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ummm.  What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dirt.

Ummm.  What?

Say again?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Engines need to be higher so you don't suck a goat with an afghan attached to its ass through it.
View Quote

You win the internet for the day.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2. Short take-off. With the flaps down and at take-off thrust the wing/ground effect can get you airborne witrh less distance.

m

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure enough to say it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The anhedral/dihedral decision is strongly based on the wing sweep, not on the "logical" pendulum effect of a high wing.  Modern stability aids allow overcoming weak lateral directional stability, so one configuration might rely on less dihedral or anhedral for some other reason, knowing it can be made up electronically.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about anhedral versus dihedral? A C-17 or C-5 looks like it has anhedral, while all the commercial planes have significant amounts of dihedral. It seems like it would be difficult to have anhedral on a low wing. Are the military transports designed for less lateral stability, or is there something else at play?  

ETA I guess having a high wing let's you get away with less dihedral, but there seems to be a pretty big difference... maybe more than enough to be explained by that.

The anhedral/dihedral decision is strongly based on the wing sweep, not on the "logical" pendulum effect of a high wing.  Modern stability aids allow overcoming weak lateral directional stability, so one configuration might rely on less dihedral or anhedral for some other reason, knowing it can be made up electronically.

I was under the impression that high wing was inherently more stable, hence the anhedral to balance high wing stability with the anhedral's increased maneuverability.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Say again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dirt.

Ummm.  What?

Say again?

Again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#25]
FOD
Clearance for engines on unimproved runways.
Visibility (wings block a lot of sky)
Body closer to the tarmac for easier loading/unloading
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Engines need to be higher so you don't suck a goat with an afghan attached to its ass through it.
View Quote

damnit you owe me a monitor and keyboard....
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dirt.
View Quote

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeCVYTiIWg

Not really "landing" is it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lol.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or a container:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d20_1387706399
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#30]
High wing aircraft can get lower to the ground for drive-on/drive-off capabilities.  You would have to worry about high-centering long cargo (i.e. Helicopters, trailers, etc.) if you had an abrupt slope both from the cargo floor to the ramp and from the ramp to the ground. In the C-5 we can "forward kneel" to nearly eliminate this factor. Even with this ability, some cargo still needs shoring.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

m

And all that FOD is just going to stay on the ground? Wing in ground effect is mostly effect up to approximately one wingspan above ground level. That extra few feet isn't going to matter. That few feet will help keep crap from getting ingested into the engine.

I'm not talking about low level flight here, just getting the weight off of the wheels earlier, accelerating faster, and clearing obstacles in a shorter distance.

m

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And all that FOD is just going to stay on the ground? Wing in ground effect is mostly effect up to approximately one wingspan above ground level. That extra few feet isn't going to matter. That few feet will help keep crap from getting ingested.

I'm not talking about low level flight here, just getting the weight off of the wheels earlier, accelerating faster, and clearing obstacles in a shorter distance.

m

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

And all that FOD is just going to stay on the ground? Wing in ground effect is mostly effect up to approximately one wingspan above ground level. That extra few feet isn't going to matter. That few feet will help keep crap from getting ingested.

m

you still haven't explained how a high wing gets you airborne with less distance.
Intuitively, the closer to the ground, the more pronounced the ground effect.

we aren't talking about FOD.  We are talking about take off distance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which lost in direct competition to the C-5.  The main reasons being:  1. Loading and unloading it is a massive pain in the ass.  2. No rear cargo ramp/door, I can't think of any low wing airplane that has one.  3.  The C-5 squats and kneels, makes loading and unloading rolling stock a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Which lost in direct competition to the C-5.  The main reasons being:  1. Loading and unloading it is a massive pain in the ass.  2. No rear cargo ramp/door, I can't think of any low wing airplane that has one.  3.  The C-5 squats and kneels, makes loading and unloading rolling stock a piece of cake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironic that the criteria for that was:

1.  Ease of Loading
2.  Actually flies

And in that order.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

1.  Ease of Loading
2.  Actually flies

And in that order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Ease of Loading
2.  Actually flies

And in that order.

Lockheed's been lying to the bill payer for a loooooooong time about reliability.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
unimproved airfields.
View Quote

That crossed mine one day waiting for my flight at the airport. I was thinking to myself, "those engines are mighty close to the ground for such a big plane."
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And all that FOD is just going to stay on the ground? Wing in ground effect is mostly effect up to approximately one wingspan above ground level. That extra few feet isn't going to matter. That few feet will help keep crap from getting ingested into the engine.

m

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

m

FOD avoidance was a good reason for a high wing as is ease of load/unload.  Increased ground effect is not a reason for a high wing.  It reduces ground effect.  In fact, low wing is probably safer for in ground effect flight since for a given wing/engine height above the deck, the belly of the aircraft would be farther from the ground.  Ground effect does occur up to one wingspan AGL, but its effects diminish the higher the wing above ground.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dakota had low wings.
View Quote

DC-3 is a civilian design.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I will have to ask my BIL this question since he works on the C130 line and see if he can get an answer about this.
View Quote

Prop driven aircraft with wing mounted engines need a high wing mount for obvious reasons.
Look at how tall the landing gear is on the Connie.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My friends that fly C-5s have almost nothing good to say about that plane, ESPECIALLY in the reliability dept.

But it's plausible deniability when the plane "breaks down" in Germany, and you can spend a few days at the biergarten while they fix it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lockheed's been lying to the bill payer for a loooooooong time about reliability.  

My friends that fly C-5s have almost nothing good to say about that plane, ESPECIALLY in the reliability dept.

But it's plausible deniability when the plane "breaks down" in Germany, and you can spend a few days at the biergarten while they fix it.  

serial lying about maintenance while collecting TDY and avoiding missions is a matter of pride in airlift units it appears.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm sure this is part of it,  the spar carry though for the wing is not a inconsequential part.  I'm not sure about the C17 but the C5 can actually "squat" to get lower to the ground when you are loading it break while you're calling for the MRT to come fix it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Additionally, roll on, roll off capability.  There are few cargo handling facilities at unimproved strips, so the cargo is closer to the ground.
I'm sure this is part of it,  the spar carry though for the wing is not a inconsequential part.  I'm not sure about the C17 but the C5 can actually "squat" to get lower to the ground when you are loading it break while you're calling for the MRT to come fix it.  

FIFY.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a lot of good things to say about it...where are your friends stationed?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
On the other hand, how much quieter are commercial aircraft with the jets below the passenger level?
View Quote

Commercial aircraft have a lot more insulation than .mil jets.  The stuff in our planes is there to keep a little bit of warmth in, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

The basis of the 747 came from the 1964 CX-Heavy Logistics System (CX-HLS) design competition.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The dodge for that is to put the thrust line above the leading edge of the wing.  Looks like ass with a radial engine, too.
View Quote

Engine cooling is a mother too with the radial engines burred in the wing.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top