Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2013 9:35:29 PM EDT
http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/07/03/the-latest-not-really-pro-gun-group/

Yet another example of a 4 member astroturf group pretending to support gun ownership while advocating against concealed carry, supporting background checks and gun bans and generally trying to work a split between different groups of shooters.  Just thought I would get the word out there as they are trying to sell a little more subtly - they use the traditional bitch about the NRA approach and are out of Austin, TX.  They are also real vague about the policies they do support on their website.  However, our friend Bitter has done the research to show how their self-appointed CEO supports Obama, background checks, MAIG, and congratulated Connecticut on their new gun laws.  He even had the foresight to capture screenshots of these items.

Please spread the word about this group!

Just saw that U. S. News & World Report (which is normally better at journalism) put out a puff piece/press release from the American Rifle and Pistol Association.  It is worth a read just to see how they are hiding their anti-gun views and pretending to be "more bipartisan" than the NRA.  Basically, it looks like one of their goals is to keep gun owners who were foolish enough to trust Obama on the reservation.

http://mobile.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/07/02/new-gun-rights-group-wants-to-be-nonpartisan-alternative-to-the-nra
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Guns are icky, and I would never join a group with gun words in it's name.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads-up.

Their being based in Austin doesn't surprise me one damn bit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Liberals being underhanded and sneaky?

Frankly, I'm shocked by that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just saw that U. S. News & World Report (which is normally better at journalism) put out a puff piece/press release from the American Rifle and Pistol Association.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
More details in this thread. Quick summary:

Documented Competency : It is reasonable for ownership and use of any specific firearm to be predicated upon documented competency, as determined and established by the laws of each State.

"We don't mind excessive or onerous training requirements."

However, in the context of law abiding citizens, we believe that as broad a scope of background checks as can be made ...

"We support UBC."

Any ammunition limitation should be based upon established best-practice evidenced by what is in common use for law enforcement.

"We agree with magazine size limits but have to find a way to say it without saying it."

False flag organization.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope no manufacturers are foolish enough to buy advertising space from them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
This precisely why my money only goes to the National Riffle Association - The ONLY organization with a consistent record of supporting riffles!
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just saw that U. S. News & World Report (which is normally better at journalism)...

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Who's got money on they'll be claiming 3.7 million members in a few days?

And I never win any of the good stuff in ANY riffle I enter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
That blockquote stuff sounds like it was lifted from a DU thread, verbatim.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like they are headquarter at the offices of the Texas Energy Group

Same address
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#14]
That seems totally legit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Once again, fucking Quislings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#16]
They're about as pro-gun as Gabby Giffords.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#17]
They were being interviewed on my miami AM radio this morning.

only a fool would fall for this, nothing we can do to prevent fools from.. being fools.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They were being interviewed on my miami AM radio this morning.

only a fool would fall for this, nothing we can do to prevent fools from.. being fools.

Same old game in a fancier package...."The NRA is so unreasonable!" And look how partisan the NRA is too!  In the same breath they point out that the worthless fucking quisling Joe Manchin has an A rating, they'll cry about how the NRA doesn't give more money to Democrats.  Maybe the NRA isn't a bunch of pussies like traditional Dem constituencies of labor and race and don't take kindly to being screwed by people they supported?  That is probably the realreason Dems hate the NRA (despite prominent Dems on the NRA Board of Directors).
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#19]
...since they are a small group, is it possible for arfcom to infiltrate and take over ?

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saw that U. S. News & World Report (which is normally better at journalism)...

Yeah, I kind of went too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Duly noted.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads-up.

Their being based in Austin doesn't surprise me one damn bit.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...since they are a small group, is it possible for arfcom to infiltrate and take over ?

This.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I kind of went too.

Say what you like, when your competition is Newsweek, you don't have to be a shining star to look good by comparison.  U.S. News & World Report was edited by Michael Barone for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Well, all of their officers were appointed and there is currently no mechanism for the members of the organization to elect new or different officers (and this from the same group that criticizes the NRA for not representing its members).  So hijacking it seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Firemission!!  

Fuck those sell outs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Even their FB pics scream liberal graphics artist propaganda. #SANE

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Follow the fucking constitution #sane.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]
There are several good comments on their facebook page, which will probably be deleted after they crawl of bed and get to the oomputer.

Non partisan generally means "liberal agenda." Compromise means abandoning principles to satisfy those who have no principles or those who purport that the only solution is their solution. This ARPA organization is another liberal attempt at deception and this organization should be avoided at all costs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#31]

"I generally like the NRA, but I think that too often sometimes they get
involved in partisanship [and think] it's more important to endorse a
Republican candidate over someone who might be an even stronger
supporter of the Second Amendment," says Petersen.

So basically, they are reality challenged.

Big surprise.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#32]
you can bet your ass this is an obama admin directed, bloomberg financed, sandy hook promise and million moms sponsored "gun rights" group.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Their website tries to imply Jessie Duff and Colion Noir are members.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firemission!!  

Fuck those sell outs.

They are not in Austin. Their office is out in the Hill Country in Spicewood. I may stop in and feel them out. Odds are that I may already know some of the leadership, and from what I've read so far, my opinions of them are not good. I will do some recon and report back.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#36]
The use of catchwords like "reasonable, responsible, sensible, sane, documented" alone should cause concern. You only hear them used by anti-gun types.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firemission!!  

Fuck those sell outs.

They are not in Austin. Their office is out in the Hill Country in Spicewood. I may stop in and feel them out. Odds are that I may already know some of the leadership, and from what I've read so far, my opinions of them are not good. I will do some recon and report back.

oh yeah, tagged.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#38]
O wow... Texas wins again.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#39]

I checked Open Secrets against the names of the lead officers.  While the group is out of Austin, TX, at least one of the group's main officers is a transplant from Stamford, CT. So I checked against the names nationwide and for the 2008, 2010, and 2012 election cycles.

Peter Vogt, Chairman - too many Peter Vogts to say; but none from Stamford, CT or Austin, TX.  His facebook page however (as detailed above) shows him as a support of MAIG, Obama, Mothers Demand Action, and another gun control group that called Senators "child-killers" for opposing gun control.

Waylan Johnson, CEO - nothing

Robert Gelinas, President - donations to Bob Casey (D) and Barack Obama in 2012 from a Robert Gelinas in PA.

Lance Culbreth, COO - donations to two Healthcare PACs in 2007 and 2009 from a Lance Culbreath in GA.

Jerry Boguskie, CFO - nothing
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey, if you have a minute, visit their Facebook page logged in to your "gunny" account (something with likes to the NRA etc.) and then log out, clear your cookies and visit their page anonymously and see if you get an entirely different set of articles?  I just ended up doing that and there was a dramatic difference in the content of the articles I saw on the "front page."  As an anonymous user, they were a lot less pro-gun.  I am curious if this was just random chance or if they are changing the message based on your Facebook likes, cookies, etc.

Any tech guys able to explain this?
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hey, if you have a minute, visit their Facebook page logged in to your "gunny" account (something with likes to the NRA etc.) and then log out, clear your cookies and visit their page anonymously and see if you get an entirely different set of articles?  I just ended up doing that and there was a dramatic difference in the content of the articles I saw on the "front page."  As an anonymous user, they were a lot less pro-gun.  I am curious if this was just random chance or if they are changing the message based on your Facebook likes, cookies, etc.

No but if you know how to screen shot and screen shot everything from their page both ways, I bet someone could run with it.

Edit.  sorry, forgot to say I'm not a tech guy, so I'm clueless to your question.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No but if you know how to screen shot and screen shot everything from their page both ways, I bet someone could run with it.

Edit.  sorry, forgot to say I'm not a tech guy, so I'm clueless to your question.

This, do it now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm surprised they haven't used "common-sense" yet!
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm surprised they haven't used "common-sense" yet!

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#45]
OK, here is the screenshot from Internet Explorer not logged into Facebook and cookies cleared:

And here is the same screenshot covering the same time periods with me logged into Facebook (likes NRA, LaRue Tactical, etc.) . For some reason, the anon screenshot didn't give me near as many recent articles; but the logged-in screenshot gave me quite a few so to make it "equal", I scrolled down to the same dates as the anon screenshot.

Edited to add:  I just looked at the same page with Google Chrome instead of IE.  I did not log in to Facebook; but my browsing history had pretty much nothing but gun stuff in it and I got the same page as my logged-in Facebook page shown above.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow. Internet is a crazy place.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Burn them with fire.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks OP- I will fart in their general direction.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I wonder how long it took the IRS to extend them tax exempt status.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder how long it took the IRS to extend them tax exempt status.

Well, the earliest I can find anything about their existence is March 25, and as of today, they have a 501(c)(4) tax-deductible non-profit foundation.  Probably would have been faster if Congress hadn't been bothering the IRS with all those uncomfortable questions.  Probably also another clue about the origins of this group... if Tea Party groups were being singled out, I'm sure they were giving a pass to groups claiming to be pro-RKBA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top