Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2013 1:17:34 PM EDT
Hey everyone, check this out!  Marlin Firearms and Appleseed have been working together to create a factory built .22L marksmanship training rifle.  The Liberty Training Rifle (LTR) is based on the Marlin 795 and comes equipped with Tech sights (peep sights similar to the AR-15 A2 iron sights), a web sling and (2) magazines.  Also included is a certificate good for the admission of one 795-LTR owner to attend an Appleseed weekend event free!  What better way to set up to learn the ways and skills of a Rifleman!  There's a link below for more info.

Marlin Firearms/Appleseed 795-LTR (Liberty Training Rifle)

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
$299?????? i bought my 795 new in the box for $90. Those must be some really good sights on there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
$299?????? i bought my 795 new in the box for $90. Those must be some really good sights on there.

I remember those days.... LOL.  The bare 795 I have now I got for $129 on sale from a regular retail of $149.

I checked into what it would cost to equip it with the Tech sights, sling and a pair of mags and they aren't too far off the mark when you consider the sights are already installed from the factory.  And, I believe the mags are 10-rounders.  All I can find where I'm at are the 7-rounders.
I think they did a pretty good job.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thought it came with a free apple pie
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That's awesome.  Now someone should make some ammo for it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a ticket for an Appleseed.  Used to be about $75 or so for the weekend.  

OP, what all is included in the package?  Do you have a list or just the picture?

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like a ticket for an Appleseed.  Used to be about $75 or so for the weekend.  

OP, what all is included in the package?  Do you have a list or just the picture?

List is $299.  Retail should be $250-ish.  You get a sling, a coupon for a free Appleseed and of course the Tech-sites installed directly to the receiver from what I understand instead of having to mount to the factory Tip-off rail

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=70677
Davidson’s ( item #70677) was chosen as the marketing arm for this rifle by Marlin so that it is available to the largest population possible.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Welcome to the new millennium.  In recent years the only way to get a 795 for even $100 was with a rebate or Black Friday special.  $150 is the norm around here without a sale.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a 795 for my sister for Christmas a few years ago. I wish I had spent more and got her a 10/22 instead. My two biggest problems with it is the super cheap stock and ill fitting mags (admittedly, some fit okay, I guess it's hit or miss). Putting tech sights on does not double the price for me
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought a 795 for my sister for Christmas a few years ago. I wish I had spent more and got her a 10/22 instead. My two biggest problems with it is the super cheap stock and ill fitting mags (admittedly, some fit okay, I guess it's hit or miss). Putting tech sights on does not double the price for me

The Appleseed shoot certificate included is worth $80.  
Tech-Sights are $75 shipped.  
The sling is $15 or so shipped.  
A bare bones rifle is $150 normal retail

a 10/22 is $225 normal retail.  Add a sling and Tech-Sights to that and see what the price is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was looking great until I saw the price tag

$300?

I can get a standard 795 for $150 locally.

Is a nylon sling, one 10 round magazine, tech sights, and an Appleseed admition worth $150?  I don't think so.

If they got the price to $200 I'd be all over it - even if it didn't include the Appleseed admission.

$300 is list.   Retail will be $250-ish and maybe less with a rebate.
You must have misses the part where the receiver was changed also.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you're an adult male that is neither LEO or Military and you'll be there for both days.

It is still $50 for one day and not in the "free" category of student

Even if you take your $150 and add $75 for the sights and $15 for the sling, you are right there at the $250ish price point

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you're an adult male that is neither LEO or Military and you'll be there for both days.

It is still $50 for one day and not in the "free" category of student

My point being - if you're one of the MANY exempted catagores then you're either overpaying, or paying for someone (like say my kid) that would normally be free.

Not a value.

Even if you take your $150 and add $75 for the sights and $15 for the sling, you are right there at the $250ish price point.   You can not get this base rifle at $150 because of the modified receiver.  Quite a value in my book, especially if the stock is improved as planned.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
What's so special about the rifle?  I'll take my Savage over that rifle any day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$300 is list.   Retail will be $250-ish and maybe less with a rebate.

From Davidson's.  My retailer can't get them cheaper than Davidsons's sells them for.

That doesn't even make sense...

You should find a new retailer...
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's so special about the rifle?  I'll take my Savage over that rifle any day.

Your savage is much more expensive if it has aperture sights.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24668
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Lots of folks will go for this with good reason. I see tons of shooters trying to use rifles ill equipped for anything harder than shooting milk jugs at 25 yards. Most shooters don't have the knowledge or tools to install sling swivels and aftermarket sights without help (I know because I've helped install lots of those for appleseeders). For them a ready to shoot precision .22 is well worth the cash.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But what is so special about THAT receiver.  The $150 Marlin 795 uses the same magazines and can accept the $69 tech sights.

Currently Tech-Sights mount to the tip-off rail.  I am not a fan of this.  I will personally pay the premium to get a direct mount sight.

Quoted:
Still not a $300 rifle

I used to buy 10/22 rifles for $100 too, but those days are long gone.   10/22s are selling for $250+ and many over $300 right now as Ruger is not pushing them out and nobody can get one.  You should simply purchase directly from a wholesaler and have it transferred by a local FFL if everyone locally charges list price for your guns...
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

At first I was

Then I was

But now Im all

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a very good thing. Get more shooters into proper rifle marksmanship. All you seasoned rim fire experts hemming and hawing about the price, calm the fuck down -- this isn't intended for you, we know that you have the knowledge and expertise to build up a comparable rifle or equal or less money. This seems to be intended as a turnkey package for new shooters.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
..if I can build one for $225...

But you can't.  I forgot the $10 for swivels in my estimate.  It will cost you ~$250 to build this which is what it will cost most people to actually purchase.  It is unfortunate for you that your local retailers charge list price from Davidson's.  I can understand you not getting one, but it will be a great option for others to have an out of the box ready to go LTR.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is a very good thing. Get more shooters into proper rifle marksmanship. All you seasoned rim fire experts hemming and hawing about the price, calm the fuck down -- this isn't intended for you, we know that you have the knowledge and expertise to build up a comparable rifle or equal or less money. This seems to be intended as a turnkey package for new shooters.

Yup.  And I see it as a good thing.  I'll be attending my first Appleseed next weekend.  I am fairly handy, and enjoyed working on my old 10/22 to get it ready, but there are those who would have a wooden baby had they seen me using a hammer and punch to remove my sights, let alone disassembling the trigger pack to swap the hammer, bolt hold open, and mag release.

This is a value deal for those who are neither competent nor confident enough to do any home "gunsmithing".  You guys only calculated the cost of sights, sling swivels, and a weekend pass, you forgot about a gunsmith's labor.  

It would make a great gift for a niece or nephew.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess they're a lousy deal... Obviously no one wants to buy them.....

From Davidson's:

Due to unprecedented demand, the Stock Watch feature has been temporarily suspended

I've got one on order; I hope my fleet of 10/22's give it a warm welcome in the safe!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Might go well with my 7000
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#31]
They are selectively cropping those pics to hide the barrett 50 cal muzzle break.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a couple 795's a few years back.  Figured it be a cool Christmas present for my nephews when they are old enough.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Super cool.  

I just purchased a 795 a few weeks ago and put some tech sights on it...  I guess I should have waited!  I would have loved to get the Appleseed version to support the cause.

ETA:  Attended the Ramsure Appleseed with the new 795.  Everyone should go to one of these.  It was great.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope they come into stock soon, I have to buy it before April 15th (unless they will sell it without mags).

Anyone know where I can get a regular 795?

I have a 20 year old 70, I love that gun. I shot a 795 in a Boyd's stock and it was nice, so I have been looking for one, but they are all sold out everywhere near me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm glad there will finally be an off-the-shelf LTR for less than $400.  Previously, the only such things that fit the bill (mag fed semi auto, click adjustable aperture sights, set up for sling) were the .22 ARs like the S&W M&P 15/22.  Even then you had to buy your own shooting sling and swivels.  Not everybody is as savvy at shopping for stuff like that, or at home gunsmithing.  This will be a good less expensive option for new shooters who want to be able to grab something off the shelf and go to an Appleseed.  Though I suspect most of their sales will be to Appleseed instructors, most of whom will probably want one of these.  I will get one, even though I prefer the 10/22 for this role, and I could probably put one together cheaper myself and all that crap.  I just think it will be cool to have an Appleseed edition rifle with the special engraving, and I'd like to reward Marlin for supporting Appleseed.  It will be a nice keepsake to remember all the good times I had teaching Appleseeds back in these days!  Plus I could always use another loaner.

FYI this rifle will have the same dovetail rail mount sight as Tech Sights currently sells for the 795, if the pictures that have been released so far are any indicator.  

Also, the fact that MSRP is $300 will mean that retail will be a good bit less.  The regular base 795 has a MSRP of $167, but commonly sells for $125 from the big box stores.  Plus Marlin has offered a $20 mail in rebate on these for the past several years.

My only concerns are with reliability.  A couple years ago, we put together a scoped 795 for my Dad to use at Appleseeds (he has old man eyes) and I had to polish the feed ramp and inside of the receiver to get it to run reliably.  Out of the box, it had bad FTE's all the time.  From what I have read, this isn't an uncommon experience.   Apparently the quality suffered on these and all Marlins when the Freedom Group bought them.  Also, we couldn't get those scope rings to stay put on the rail no matter what we tried.  We ended up going with the DIP picatinny rail mount.  I remember thinking that if I had it to do over again, I would have just got him a 10/22 and saved all the trouble.  They have gone downhill on quality from the old days too, but at least they almost always run reliably out of the box, once you figure out what kind of ammo they like.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#36]
This is a good deal. I have more than $300 in my 10/22 that I set up for Appleseed events. I will definitely pick up one or two of these as my daughter is about ready to start shooting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lots of folks will go for this with good reason. I see tons of shooters trying to use rifles ill equipped for anything harder than shooting milk jugs at 25 yards. Most shooters don't have the knowledge or tools to install sling swivels and aftermarket sights without help (I know because I've helped install lots of those for appleseeders). For them a ready to shoot precision .22 is well worth the cash.

That's a good point- in my haste to mount a sling on my 10/22 I botched the install and ended up drilling 3 holes to get one that was correct.

At a $250 street price, I think it will do well... and then maybe sub $200 for the used ones when they start to show up....
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a Marlin 795 and I like it alot, except for one thing:  the plastic trigger guard cracked at the rear screw.  

Has anyone else had this problem?

I JB welded mine back together, but time will tell.....

Someone makes an aluminum trigger guard for it that costs around $70.  I paid $100 for the rifle (new), and added a set of tech sites, so I don't want to add another $70 to it.

At least is hasn't been declared an assault weapon in the shit-hole of ny state yet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Marlin has not yet begun  production of these rifles as of right now and it will be a bit before they do.  The initial run will be around 500 to "test the waters".    I am hoping to know the day they hit Davidson's.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This, as an Appleseed instructor having students come prepared with serviceable equipment gets everyone on the line faster doing what they paid for. Learning how to safely and effectively shoot their rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top