BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are on military pay and are looking into a $50k truck? For toy hauling?

Single O-5 on flight pay who has remained mostly debt free most of his entire career, except for a house that I owe $125k on still (worth $150).  I own 9 motorcycles and an ATV.  I need a way to haul them around.

Disco-jon = nut'n fancy, who knew?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Also, anyone who doesn't LOL at a 3/4-1 ton truck with IFS is a big dummie head. SFA for the win!

I'm sure the experts will come along and tell me that IFS is just as strong, and the ride comfort/turning radius is what makes it so appealing, but I've never liked IFS on 3/4 or 1-ton trucks.  But that's just personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Love the bike with sidecar.  More pics would be nas.

and then there's the time I rescued Indiana Jones and his father...

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ford/thread.

I used to be a Chevy guy. Not anymore. Ford or nothing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
this isn't to answer the op's question but to ask a question.
what mpg are your new fords getting?  what mpg are your dodges getting?

My deleted 2012 dodge dually 4x4 gets 19mpg empty and about 10mpg loaded @ 30K . I am sure this will not be possible with the 2013 models with the urea.
My brothers 2011 ford gets 14 empty not sure about loaded mpg
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]
both.

we have a 2011 350 and it was a piece of shit until we took all the emissions crap off there, made it a completely different truck. Also have a 2012 3500 mega cab that replaced a 08 3500 mega that couldnt be kept out of the shop. The dodge is plush and comfy, feels like youre driving a car, not a seven thousand pound tank. the ford is stiff and rugged, kinda ugly too. Im a dodge guy but you really cant go wrong with anything if its set up to suit your needs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Ford and you'll have to get that urea shit fo the emissions, the Cummins doesn't use it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get a Ford and you'll have to get that urea shit fo the emissions, the Cummins doesn't use it.

The 2013 like op is asking about will use urea. 2012 was the last year the non cab/chassis trucks did not use urea.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
that 6.7 engine is awesome

Own an '12 F250 and love it so far
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cummins. Motherfucking. Turbo. Diesel.

This!
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2013 like op is asking about will use urea. 2012 was the last year the non cab/chassis trucks did not use urea.

Damn! I thought Cummins was staying clear. Fucking EPA, and delete kits are on their way out too. However I did notice that before programmers and kits guys were giving tutorials on deletes and shopping lists to take to Radio Shack. Where there is a will there is a way.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Of the two, Dodge.

Of the open market, GM by far:  http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-best-overall-heavy-duty-pickup-truck.html

To the IFS complainers, are you wheeling it hard or towing heavy?  IFS is superior for the street, where towing is done.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn! I thought Cummins was staying clear. Fucking EPA, and delete kits are on their way out too. However I did notice that before programmers and kits guys were giving tutorials on deletes and shopping lists to take to Radio Shack. Where there is a will there is a way.

And it's still a huge ass fine if you get caught on-highway with a vehicle that has had emissions equipment removed.

I'm not a fan of how how CARB does things but I will say I'm a bit partial to breathable air - I grew up in SoCal and remember the days where I couldn't see Mt. Baldy, I lived less than 10 miles from the base.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
OP,
I've owned a Dodge Cummins since '96.  I've owned a 36ft 5th wheel Patio Hauler (toy hauler) since '02.  Today, I'd be hard pressed to buy a 36ft trailer or a diesel P/U - very carefullly evaluate your needs vs wants regarding hauling your motorcycles/toys around.  My 36ft trailer is great in the SoCal desert but it's a giant PITA in the NorCal forests - it's simply too big for most NF campgrounds.  And the cost of diesel does impact my trips - if I'm going to Cal City/Jawbone it's cheaper for me to get a hotel if I'm there for less than 4 nights.

My current CTD is an '00 that has averaged ~15mpg over ~125K miles - I've owned the truck since new.  My current DD is a '97 Honda Civic EX.  The truck is not a great DD in LA or the Bay Area.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are on military pay and are looking into a $50k truck? For toy hauling?

Single O-5 on flight pay who has remained mostly debt free most of his entire career, except for a house that I owe $125k on still (worth $150).  I own 9 motorcycles and an ATV.  I need a way to haul them around.

Sir,

A simple "Yes" would have sufficed.

when the fickle attention of arf starts to bear on you negatively, you need to act quickly and decisively or you will get rat fucked.  His response was appropriate, imo.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've owned an F250 and an F350.  Both great trucks.  I love that they still use a straight front axle. ( Not sure if Dodge still is or not).  Ford has the transmissions figured out, and the new 6.7 seems to work pretty well for being choked out by all the emissions bullshit.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford/thread.

Duramax/Thread

I would put one of the torqeshifts from an 06 and up against an allison any day of the week.  Before that there were some issues. I used to be a mechanic at a GM dealership, so I've worked on both.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Go with the Ford.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford/thread.

Duramax/Thread

I don't know, man. Isuzu engines just don't get me going.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All my off road and boater friends have been Found On & Off Road Dead in them.

Dude, that's horrible. Sorry for your loss.

That had to be traumatic for you, how are you holding up?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've owned an F250 and an F350.  Both great trucks.  I love that they still use a straight front axle. ( Not sure if Dodge still is or not).  Ford has the transmissions figured out, and the new 6.7 seems to work pretty well for being choked out by all the emissions bullshit.

That emission shit is pretty easy to throw away, costs a bit but if you're going to buy a truck that costs that much it's worth it.

I haul a lot o shit with my 350; I pulled a tractor and trailer (44k lbs total) up Sardine canyon in Utah 65 mph all the way with plenty of power to spare.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That emission shit is pretty easy to throw away, costs a bit but if you're going to buy a truck that costs that much it's worth it.

I haul a lot o shit with my 350; I pulled a tractor and trailer (44k lbs total) up Sardine canyon in Utah 65 mph all the way with plenty of power to spare.

Doesn't that void the powertrain warranty?

If it does, Ford.  If it does not, Dodge.  If we're talking brand new '13 year model trucks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ford/thread.

First post.

/thread
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Dodge & Cummins FTW.

Have driven all 3 of the diesel pickups and Dodge is the only one I will lay my money down for.

Used to be GM or nothing man, now I won't buy one for any amount.
Gasser Fords I would still buy, always been good trucks to me. However, I've been around too many "Million Dollar" powerstorkes. (The trucks still looked pretty though)
Have owned Dodges off and on for 20 years. Never had one fall apart yet, let alone require major repair.

Of course I'm a bit biased these days. I currently own 6 Dodge trucks and just sold an '08 Cummins to buy an '12 Charger.

Just a heads up, if you buy a Dodge (per Arfcom) you will be a d-bag and a a$$hole. I, however, embrace this proudly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't that void the powertrain warranty?

If it does, Ford.  If it does not, Dodge.  If we're talking brand new '13 year model trucks.

Ask your dealer; some are mod friendly and some arn't. Take it to a friendly dealer; and if worse comes to worse you can bolt on the original exaust in an hour.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#25]

I always wonderd being in the military if any of your coworkers would ridicule you endlessly for that steampunck shit, I guess your rank trumps most of the jokes
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I always wonderd being in the military if any of your coworkers would ridicule you endlessly for that steampunck shit, I guess your rank trumps most of the jokes

One of my Majors was the photographer.  Another Major made the corset.  Another guy's wife was the female model.  I paid the Majors handsomely for their efforts and the other guy's wife was thrilled for a semi-professional modelling shoot and a free corset (valued at $600).  Ridiculed for Steampunk?  No.  Having to do shots at the Squadron Bar on Fridays for owning/driving a sidecar?  Yes.  Typically any guys that ride in the sidecar also wound up having to do shots too.    For the record, Jeremiah Weed liquor is AWFUL.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my Majors was the photographer.  Another Major made the corset.  Another guy's wife was the female model.  I paid the Majors handsomely for their efforts and the other guy's wife was thrilled for a semi-professional modelling shoot and a free corset (valued at $600).  Ridiculed for Steampunk?  No.  Having to do shots at the Squadron Bar on Fridays for owning/driving a sidecar?  Yes.  Typically any guys that ride in the sidecar also wound up having to do shots too.    For the record, Jeremiah Weed liquor is AWFUL.

Only pilots would drink JW and only if forced at a naming ceremony or somesuch.  And yes, JW tastes like Moxy with too much crappy alcohol in it.  Nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Only pilots would drink JW and only if forced at a naming ceremony or somesuch.  And yes, JW tastes like Moxy with too much crappy alcohol in it.  Nasty stuff.

Or navs... or WSOs... or anyone else who braves attending Roll Call.  The Company Grade Officer Council once decided to hold a meeting in our bar prior to a roll call.  Most of them stayed for roll call.  One of them spent considerable time afterwards with his face in the urinal puking.  There was a picture taken that evening in the hall... One Lt sitting on the floor , back against the wall, legs out, head bent over almost to his knees... another lying on his stomach, leaning up and into a garbage can... and the third laying on his back spread eagle on the floor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:13:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or navs... or WSOs... or anyone else who braves attending Roll Call.  The Company Grade Officer Council once decided to hold a meeting in our bar prior to a roll call.  Most of them stayed for roll call.  One of them spent considerable time afterwards with his face in the urinal puking.  There was a picture taken that evening in the hall... One Lt sitting on the floor , back against the wall, legs out, head bent over almost to his knees... another lying on his stomach, leaning up and into a garbage can... and the third laying on his back spread eagle on the floor.

The JW comes AFTER a decent amount of drinking.  One should never drink JW, but as a serious chaser???  Insane.  I really do not know of a fouler concoction.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:35:35 AM EDT
[#30]
That little red honda bike is beyond cool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:35:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The JW comes AFTER a decent amount of drinking.  One should never drink JW, but as a serious chaser???  Insane.  I really do not know of a fouler concoction.

It's primarily issued for us as a punishment for Roll Call infractions or buffoonery callouts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:36:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Back to the OP.  FInd a nicely used F-350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke.  Yummy engine.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#33]

I just ordered a Ural  to tow my Fishing Kayak to places that my truck can't get me to
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Also, anyone who doesn't LOL at a 3/4-1 ton truck with IFS is a big dummie head. SFA for the win!

BAA derrrrr Because the front ends just fall a fuckin part?

The Ford has more power and gets wayy better MPGs. It has a small fuel tank and takes urea (exhaust fluid)though.

The dodge is weaker and has no urea. Plus its a dodge. New one does.. news to me.

The new duramax has a fully boxed frame and bigger wheel bearings, It tows the best of all 3. (ive pulled the same loads with all 3)
Do some studying. I read for weeks before getting my truck.
Popular Mechanics Big 3 comparison

Truck Trend

Pickuptrucks.com

I can find more if you care to read.. in pickuptrucks.com the gm won and ford 2nd.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ford has more power and gets wayy better MPGs. It has a small fuel tank and takes urea (exhaust fluid)though.

The dodge is weaker and has no urea. Plus its a dodge. New one does.. news to me.

The new duramax has a fully boxed frame and bigger wheel bearings, It tows the best of all 3. (ive pulled the same loads with all 3)

Truck Trend

Pickuptrucks.com

I can find more if you care to read.. in pickuptrucks.com the gm won and ford 2nd.

How about reviews from the current model year not 5 years ago?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truck Trend

Pickuptrucks.com

Same engines.
First one is only old one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truck Trend

Pickuptrucks.com

Same engines.

Huh?

Ford engines are definitely not the same engine as 5 years ago.  Or even two years ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truck Trend

Pickuptrucks.com

Same engines.

Huh?

Ford engines are definitely not the same engine as 5 years ago.  Or even two years ago.

Did you read the other two? The 6.7 is different than the 6.7?
The first one is old. It was early. My eyes werent open all the way yet.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Cummins. Motherfucking. Turbo. Diesel.

Pre 07 maybe.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ford/thread.

First post wins.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford/thread.

First post wins.

I would go with this. Ive pulled with all three. If your not going gm then get the ford. Its nice as hell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#42]
FORD.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I cant tell you how much i love my 12 f250 Ford has there shit together..
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I must be dbag a-hole cuz I say Dodge.

2006 5.9......

Best damn diesel ever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#46]
OP I say get the F350 SRW. The F350 single rear wheel setup has the extra height in the back for a higher payload without having the dual rear wheels.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#47]
How many different diesels has Ford put out since the 7.3?  The 6.0 was a big POS that everyone stays away from, then I think they went to the 6.3 for a few years, and the the 6.7 with mixed reviews.  It doesn't seems like Ford has it figured out for tow vehicles.  

I think Chevy/GMC with the Duramax/Allison is the best all around combination of power and design, but they command a price premium.   A Dodge/Ram with the cummins is great as a tow vehicle but not quite as nice on the inside as the GM product.   I updated my tow vehicle last summer and went with a Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab and am very happy.  The cummins is great, I get about 13 MPG towing my 10k lb boat and the 35 gallon fuel tank gives me plenty of range.  The extra room with the mega cab is nice, and I will say that Dodge is catching up GM on their interiors even though I still think that GM has the best overall package if you don't mind paying extra for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's still a huge ass fine if you get caught on-highway with a vehicle that has had emissions equipment removed.

I'm not a fan of how how CARB does things but I will say I'm a bit partial to breathable air - I grew up in SoCal and remember the days where I couldn't see Mt. Baldy, I lived less than 10 miles from the base.

They must be petty strict considering how many people show off their tuned daily drivers in truck magazines advertising the aftermarket parts to do it with.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They must be petty strict considering how many people show off their tuned daily drivers in truck magazines advertising the aftermarket parts to do it with.

Ask the aftermarket companies how that's going for them - EPA is dropping the hammer on the "Off-highway use only" loophole BS.

I didn't say it was enforced very well in states that don't have emissions testing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Ford.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top