BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Cummins engine is the only thing Ram has going for it. Hell, they are so awesome Dodge dropped them from the corporate name and made them become their own brand. The truck will fall apart around the Cummins.

Duramax is a rebadged Isuzu. GM sold so many that they stayed afloat on their own and didn't have to take a government bailout to stay in business. Oh wait...

Get the Ford and never look back.

I Take it you never owned a dodge. I am on my 6th cummins powered ram and I can say not one of them have fell apart. My 99 with the dreaded 53 block had 280k on the clock with less than $500.00 invested in repair parts the entire time I owned it.

I chuckle when I read that, because my '99 Dodge 2500 with the 24 valve CTD went through three lift pumps, two injection pumps, one radiator, one PCM and one transmission in 249,000 miles.

Junk

ETA: And the majority of the front end parts were replaced at least once, including steering box.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It makes me cringe to say it (I am a ford guy), but the best 25 series vehicle out right how is the GM setup.  The duramax/Allison combo hasn't been beaten by the other two this year.  I would think about holding off for a year and seeing what ford tweaks.

I too own a Ford and agree with this about the GMs right now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Cummins engine is the only thing Ram has going for it. Hell, they are so awesome Dodge dropped them from the corporate name and made them become their own brand. The truck will fall apart around the Cummins.

Duramax is a rebadged Isuzu. GM sold so many that they stayed afloat on their own and didn't have to take a government bailout to stay in business. Oh wait...

Get the Ford and never look back.

I Take it you never owned a dodge. I am on my 6th cummins powered ram and I can say not one of them have fell apart. My 99 with the dreaded 53 block had 280k on the clock with less than $500.00 invested in repair parts the entire time I owned it.

I chuckle when I read that, because my '99 Dodge 2500 with the 24 valve CTD went through three lift pumps, two injection pumps, one radiator, one PCM and one transmission in 249,000 miles.

Junk

ETA: And the majority of the front end parts were replaced at least once, including steering box.

How exactly did you use your truck?  Within factory guidelines/limitations or did you "know better' than the engineers that designed your truck and were one of those guys that routinely exceeded the factory limitations?

I don't expect every OEM component to last ~250K miles - some things just don't have that life span.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd buy the Cummins if it were my money to spend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#5]
We run all of our Dodges out to 300k. Only things that ever need fixing are the transmission and the parking brake release handle. Every mile of that is towing and we only get rid of them because they start looking ratty.

Just picked up 2 Silverados to replace the oldest Rams because GM gave us a better price. They ride nicer and pull the same load, brakes seem better too. Will see how they hold up though. Have to buy cow piss now.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top