Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The medical device excise tax applies to manufacturers and importers and generally does not apply to individual consumers.

Linky

I realize that's just a IRS newsroom statement but I'm with an earlier poster.... I bet it's a mistake.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
This is an excise tax. Which means it is a tax based on the business done, not a tax on income or a tax on property. Other examples of excise taxes include taxes on fuel.  The taxes on fuel are used to help repair our roads – and they are applied to fuel taxes because those who use fuels the most will be using the roads the most – so they pay more for that use. Sports fishermen pay an excise tax – they pay a 10% tax on rods, poles, reels, as well as 3% on tackle boxes and 3% on outboard motors. These taxes invest in improvements in sports fishing, and fish populations and have served to restore fish populations tremendously. Other examples of excise tax include taxes at airports that help pay for the air port facilities.

http://yourdoctorsorders.com/2012/11/medical-device-tax-obama-care-what-is-it/
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, other purchases were made today at JCPenney's.  No medical excise tax called out on that receipt.

ETA:  Doing the math on the tax vs. total to make sure.

And there you go.

Cabela's done fucked up.

It's a huge fuck up.  They are going to be buried in paperwork trying to figure that out.  And no, they can't legally keep the money.

I would hate to be the guy responsible for this.

Well, I guess I'll look at it this way - looks like I just got $11.97 in what is essentially Cabelas points.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to Cabelas today and

only paid the sales tax. However, the check out girl did mention something about their new tax. The managers were bouncing between the registers fixing totals, so maybe the Op's Cabelas just didn't take the tax off?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
America Wanted him...well you got him.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To reiterate - the medical excise tax total - $11.97 - is 2.3% of the entire receipt - $520.82. That means EVERY item purchased at Cabelas today fell under the tax.

Good!

I hope he Cloward-Piven's the fuck out of this country until it all collapses into one big mass of rioting FSA idiots blaming the Republicans for not raping the rich enough.

Bring it all down man.

Long Live The Magic Negro !

I, for one, salute our new FSA overlords!

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Fitness equipment (workout clothing) being considered a "medical device"?

Weird shit for sure.
Hopefully it is just a corporate accounting software screw up and not yet another hidden gotcha in the "have to pass it to find out whats in it" law.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Cabelas has there own brand, correct? So if they made anything, say like orthopedic shoes or something wouldn't that make them required to charge the tax?

Just thinking.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went to Cabelas today and

only paid the sales tax. However, the check out girl did mention something about their new tax. The managers were bouncing between the registers fixing totals, so maybe the Op's Cabelas just didn't take the tax off?

Spoke to my father today as he went to Cabelas and he mentioned a similar story.  No medical excise tax on his receipt but he overhead one of the cashiers mentioning that they had the new "tax code".

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Whether this is legit or not, I do hope that companies do itemize Obamacare on their receipts, so the people who think it's going to save everyone money realize the truth.  It would be nice if all companies get together on this and call it something on the receipt.........like Obamacare.
On a side note, I hope employers tell, employees of their extra health insurance costs that come from this forced birth control coverage and carrying employees' kids another eight years on their h. insurance policies, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Soooooooooooooo, a friend asked me .... What about sex toys?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, other purchases were made today at JCPenney's.  No medical excise tax called out on that receipt.

And there you go.

Cabela's done fucked up.

It's a huge fuck up.  They are going to be buried in paperwork trying to figure that out.  And no, they can't legally keep the money.

Why can't Cabela's legally keep the money?  If someone comes and asks, Cabelas will probably give them a refund.   Cabelas may even refund the credit card transactions.  

But for people that paid with cash/checks, that don't ask for a refund, I bet that Cabela's can keep the money.  I've worked with large companies that did that.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So my wife went shopping for me today at the local Cabelas.  I'm on 12s forever and can't get there.  We had an employee pricing coupon and had a short list of non firearm things we wanted.

Short list:

3 pair of hiker socks
2 safe door pocket organizers
1 pair female boots
1 female jacket
1 female workout pant
1 Lyman sonic brass cleaner

Now for the WTF part

There's an $11.97 mecical excise tax on something or everything in that list.

Is this Obamacare shit??????  What on that list is a "medical device"????

I bought a 1 pound jug of Hodgdon H335 today and they charged me this tax. When I called the store after I got home, they told me it was an error and they were looking into it, to bring my receipt and they would refund the money ($0.57).

Not sure what is going on.

You guys that got charged the bogus tax, take your receipt back - they should refund you the money.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there you go.

Cabela's done fucked up.

Why can't Cabela's legally keep the money?  If someone comes and asks, Cabelas will probably give them a refund.   Cabelas may even refund the credit card transactions.  

But for people that paid with cash/checks, that don't ask for a refund, I bet that Cabela's can keep the money.  I've worked with large companies that did that.  

In our state they would have to escheat the money to the state as abandoned property.  The law expressely forbids collecting money as a tax and keeping it.  If they called it a "fee" they would be fine.

Now they could try to keep it quiet, but a big corporation like Cabela's isn't going to do that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, clearly a massive fuckup with their point-of-sale software.

Wow... how many transactions has Cabelas done today with this screw up??

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like it. I hope every retailer does this so the morons can finally see who pays the taxes.

yep
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]
First mistake:  The reading of the code section was incorrect.  Clothes for sale at retail do no fall under section 4191, the section of the code that deals with the imposition of tax on the sale of any taxable medical device by the "manufacturer, producer, or importer."

From the AICPA:

Under Sec. 4191(b)(1), a taxable medical device is a device, as defined in Section 201(h) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) (21 U.S.C. §321(h)), that is intended for humans. The latter provision defines “device” as an “instrument, apparatus, implement, machine, contrivance, implant, in vitro reagent, or other similar or related article”—including “any component, part, or accessory”—that meets certain requirements. The device must be:

(1) Recognized in the official National Formulary, or the United States Pharmacopeia, or any supplement to them;

(2) Intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or other animals; or

(3) Intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals.

The device must also “not achieve its primary intended purposes through chemical action within or on the body of man or other animals” and not depend “upon being metabolized for the achievement of its primary intended purposes.” Sec. 4191(b)(1) limits the definition for purposes of the tax to devices intended for humans.

Under what is commonly called the “retail exemption,” the tax provision does not apply to eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, and any other medical device determined by Treasury to be of a type that is commonly purchased by the general public at retail for individual use. As stated in the Joint Committee on Taxation’s Technical Explanation of the Revenue Provisions of the “Reconciliation Act of 2010,” as Amended, in Combination With the “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act” (JCX-18-10), p. 138 (March 21, 2010), Treasury may determine that a specific medical device is exempt if the device generally is sold at retail establishments (including over the internet) to individuals for their personal use.

The exemption is not limited by device class as defined in Section 513 of the FFDCA (21 U.S.C. §360c). For example, items purchased by the general public at retail for individual use could include Class I items, such as certain bandages and tipped applicators; Class II items, such as certain pregnancy test kits and diabetes testing supplies; and Class III items, such as certain denture adhesives and snakebite kits. Such items would be exempt only if they generally are designed and sold for individual use. In this regard, Congress anticipated that Treasury will publish a list of medical device classifications that are of a type commonly purchased by the general public at retail for individual use.

Current excise tax exemptions for further manufacture and for export also apply to the tax imposed under Sec. 4191. However, traditional federal excise tax exemptions for use as supplies for vessels or aircraft, and for sales to state or local governments, nonprofit educational organizations, and qualified blood collector organizations do not apply. That is, the tax ordinarily will apply to sales of taxable medical devices to such organizations and for such uses.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

America Wanted him...well you got him.

... yup, and yt it appears he gave a tax break to Hollywood http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/01/01/hollywood-loophole-fiscal-cliff

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]
It is on my Cabela's receipt as well
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link to Federal Register wherein "taxable medical device" is explained

Clothes are not found in section 510(j) of the FFDCA.  In fact, there is a "retail exemption" that lists eyeglasses and other typical items "purchased by individuals who are not medical professionals."  

Cabelas screwed the pooch on this one, and anyone that was taxed should go back to the store and demand a refund.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The receipt total was $520.82.  2.3% of that is ................................. drum roll please ........................................... $11.97.

Link

The $20B tax was included in the Affordable Care Act that was signed into law in 2010. The amount is based on a 2.3% excise tax that will be levied on the total revenues of a company, regardless of whether a company generates a profit, starting in 2013. Many companies will owe more in taxes than they generate from their operations.

That's pure awesomeness right there.

They passed a 2,000 page piece of legislation without reading it.  What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I just had the same thing on my Cabelas recipt today too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No medical excise tax for me today for a purchase at Lowe's.

Neither in TJMax
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like it's not just his Cabelas.  Check this link on Facebook out: Randy Lombard's Farmington Cabelas
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Sooo gunna go get your 12$ back?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Yup, got hit with the "medical excise tax" at Cabela's today.  Cashier told me Obummercare in action.  Interesting to see how this pans out...I agree it would be good to show the knee jerks where Obama's gonna get the money to pay for all their entitlements.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#28]
it's only 2.3%, whats the big deal?
I kid because I care.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like it. I hope every retailer does this so the morons can finally see who pays the taxes.

Agreed 100% Let the sheep see what their glorious leader and his tratiorus henchmen have done. Once the sheep feel the sting in THEIR wallets that may may think twice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:

No medical excise tax for me today for a purchase at Lowe's.

Neither in TJMax

yeah bought a bunch of shit at Scheel's

no medical tax just normal sales tax

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just wait until you refi your house or get a new mortgage.

Tell me more....are these now taxable events and how do you pay?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, other purchases were made today at JCPenney's. No medical excise tax called out on that receipt.

ETA: Doing the math on the tax vs. total to make sure.

And there you go.

Cabela's done fucked up.

It's a huge fuck up. They are going to be buried in paperwork trying to figure that out. And no, they can't legally keep the money.

Why can't Cabela's legally keep the money? If someone comes and asks, Cabelas will probably give them a refund. Cabelas may even refund the credit card transactions.

But for people that paid with cash/checks, that don't ask for a refund, I bet that Cabela's can keep the money. I've worked with large companies that did that.

It's not their money, it's a liability which would likely require being put into a suspense account or an escrow account to be claimed by the people overcharged.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep; welcome to Obummer Care.

Wait until it kicks in full-swing in 2014...
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please post a pic of the receipt.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/mongo0011/IMG_05942.jpg

WTF!!??

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought ammo and a camp axe from cabelas today and got hit with the same tax
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"Its not a tax"

Fuck you, Mr President.
Actually, blame Justice Roberts.

A 'Conservative' Activist Judge

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
"Its not a tax"

Fuck you, Mr President.

How about adding the other four liberal Justices also?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The receipt total was $520.82.  2.3% of that is ................................. drum roll please ........................................... $11.97.

Link

The $20B tax was included in the Affordable Care Act that was signed into law in 2010. The amount is based on a 2.3% excise tax that will be levied on the total revenues of a company, regardless of whether a company generates a profit, starting in 2013. Many companies will owe more in taxes than they generate from their operations.

tax on revenue? never heard of this in the world, company with thin profit margin less than 2.3% will be wiped out? this is BS
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Its not a tax"

Fuck you, Mr President.

How about adding the other four liberal Justices also?
They voted as expected...Sir Pimps-a-Lot Roberts took it upon himself to Interpret the Law, Personally solidifying a Mandate to buy Healthcare through taxation

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of this phrase.

Quoted:
I'm on 12s forever and can't get there.

dude is working mad long hours yo

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Also in AZ:

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So my wife went shopping for me today at the local Cabelas.  I'm on 12s forever and can't get there.  We had an employee pricing coupon and had a short list of non firearm things we wanted.

Short list:

3 pair of hiker socks
2 safe door pocket organizers
1 pair female boots
1 female jacket
1 female workout pant
1 Lyman sonic brass cleaner

Now for the WTF part

There's an $11.97 mecical excise tax on something or everything in that list.

Is this Obamacare shit??????  What on that list is a "medical device"????

I bought a 1 pound jug of Hodgdon H335 today and they charged me this tax. When I called the store after I got home, they told me it was an error and they were looking into it, to bring my receipt and they would refund the money ($0.57).

Not sure what is going on.

You guys that got charged the bogus tax, take your receipt back - they should refund you the money.

I bought two pistols in the Springfield Oregon Cabelas today and some tax showed up (which is very unusaul for Oregon as we have no sales tax).  The girl behind the cash register didn't miss a beat and said "don't worry, I am deleting the tax as it is just an error in computer system today".  She deleted the tax, I payed my bill and walked out of the store with 2 new pistols with 4 "evil" high capcity magazines!!

Fuck Palissi and Feinstein and rest of the gun grabber want to be's!!

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#46]
"We gotta pass the bill to know whats in it"  Said no intelligent person....ever.  By the same token, I guess I dont know if getting kicked in the nuts would hurt anymore since it hasnt happened in a long time...like my divorce.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of this phrase.

Quoted:
I'm on 12s forever and can't get there.

The gentleman in question is gainfully employed and works long hours thus he is unable to attend shopping expeditions with his spouse.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just wait until you refi your house or get a new mortgage.

Tell me more....are these now taxable events and how do you pay?

Yes, this has my attention.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep; welcome to Obummer Care.

Yep, wait till "Kenyan Care" take full effect next year with the indivdual mandates, employer mandates, etc.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

tax on revenue? never heard of this in the world, company with thin profit margin less than 2.3% will be wiped out? this is BS

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-12-30/news/bs-ed-ehrlich-obamacare-20121230_1_obamacare-tax-on-medical-devices-employer-sponsored-health-plans
A new 2.3 percent tax on medical devices (implants, prosthetics, pacemakers, stents, etc.) remains one of the most unpopular items in the Obamacare tax inventory. This is the last sector of our economy that should be singled out for punitive treatment, as these are the inventions that extend and improve our quality of life. Even worse, the tax will be collected against gross revenues, regardless of whether the manufacturer generates a profit. The industry association representing device makers estimates that 43,000 jobs will be lost thanks to this new tax. A further insult: Many of the lost jobs will be moved overseas.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top