Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/4/2012 6:07:15 PM EDT
Tonight i saw a killer deal on a .308.  I didn't have the funds on hand for the purchase but decided to use my wifes credit card.  The shops policy now states this is a straw purchase.  I say its non of their business how I'm funding my rifle.  The act of using cc that is in another persons name does not mean that i am going through the ffl process only to give the firearm to someone else which is truly the thrust of the straw purchase laws.  Hopefully it will still be there tomorrow but the issue remains.  Should a shop be able to deny the purchase?  I'll hang up and listen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The shop can tell you they don't want to sell you a rifle for any number of reasons.

They didn't feel comfortable with the sale and they were covering their ass.  I can't blame them too much for that.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd have said "well she can divorce me and take the fucking thing anyway but whatever you say buddy" then go spend my money somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Receipt will have one name while the 4473 will have another.
They can turn you away for w.e they want. Go get the cash and go back...
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It would not have been a straw purchase regardless.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since when does that matter to the BATFE?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: kinda what i thought...
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I guess I'm guilty of a couple of straw purchases.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Dunham's refused to sell me a rifle because I wouldn't give the dickhead salesman my home phone number. Their loss. Bought elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
When I use to sell guns, a long time ago, you never worried about showing the customer receipt to any ATF auditor, all they cared about was the form being properly filled out. Have things changed, I haven't noticed. I've never seen them put a copy of the recceipt with the form.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe they were just good God fearin' folks trying to save your marriage.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If your names not on the card they shouldn't be accepting  the card.

Straw purchase?  Probably not, but their shop their rules.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They're married. Same last name, same account.

Def not a straw buy, but it's their shop.

OP don't buy stuff you don't need on credit
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Words of wisdom for sure.  Literally just didn't have the 2k on me or have my debit card.  But the.308 was definitely part of my budget this month.  I'll pay cash tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pfffft.  Max that credit out.

Why wouldn't you carry as much debt as you can handle?  What else is it good for?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#17]
If had my name on an FFL and it was just some dude like you I didnt know personally.  No way i would sell to you.  If I am a mom and pop operation and you come in and I know you like a brother than probably yes.  But based on what you say...no way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pfffft.  Max that credit out.

Why wouldn't you carry as much debt as you can handle?  What else is it good for?

Hell yeah. Got what, like 17 days before the world ends? He'll never have to make the first payment.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If had my name on an FFL and it was just some dude like you I didnt know personally.  No way i would sell to you.  If I am a mom and pop operation and you come in and I know you like a brother than probably yes.  But based on what you say...no way.

I respect your view. I really do.  But why no way?  Which part of that law is that breaking exactly?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Home Depot declined my corporate card once, trying to buy some CFLs. Card had company name and I was wearing a shirt with same name on it. Had to have CFO of company come down with documentation b4 store security would release me and bulbs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I only buy guns using my ex-wifes credit card.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#23]
On the form 4473 you have to state you are the actual purchaser of the weapon. If the receipt shows a different name (i.e. another person did the financial part of the transaction), it's grey enough that it could look like a straw purchase (why didn't the person who paid for it fill want out the form?).

It's still potentially a straw purchase even if both parties can legally own the gun, the crime is committed filling out the 4473 stating you are the purchaser when technically you may not be.

Most shops follow the 'the person who chooses the gun and pays for the gun has to fill out the form 4473' - anything else has the potential to get them, and you, in trouble - wrong or right it is the way it is. Even if your wife was with you and was prepared to fill out the 4473, the shop would still likely halt the transaction, since you picked the gun out...

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Derp.  Its the 4473 and if it was properly logged in and and out correctly- now how it was paid for.  You could trade four tons of dogshit for a gun and the ATF wouldn't care in the slightest.  The JimmyJoe pudknocker FFL was being a PITA, that's all.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I respect your view. I really do.  But why no way?  Which part of that law is that breaking exactly?
There is no law to break.
It's up to the business on weather or not they will take a card with your wifes name on it.

If it was a card that needed a pin code, and you have the code, that card could say hugh hefner and they couldn't do a damn thing.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]
false

Quoted:

On the form 4473 you have to state you are the actual purchaser of the weapon. If the receipt shows a different name (i.e. another person did the financial part of the transaction), it's grey enough that it could look like a straw purchase (why didn't the person who paid for it fill want out the form?).
It's still potentially a straw purchase even if both parties can legally own the gun, the crime is committed filling out the 4473 stating you are the purchaser when technically you may not be.
Most shops follow the 'the person who chooses the gun and pays for the gun has to fill out the form 4473' - anything else has the potential to get them, and you, in trouble - wrong or right it is the way it is. Even if your wife was with you and was prepared to fill out the 4473, the shop would still likely halt the transaction, since you picked the gun out...
eta

everything written there is false.

op is married to the card holder.

There is no straw purchase.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#27]
If both you and your wife are authorized to use the credit card, is it still a straw purchase? I would say that the purchase was from a joint account and that the name on the 4473 will be the person purchasing it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
false
Quoted:

eta

LOL... go read question 11 (a) on the 4473 and the instructions for it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Derp.  Its the 4473 and if it was properly logged in and and out correctly- now how it was paid for.  You could trade four tons of dogshit for a gun and the ATF wouldn't care in the slightest.  The JimmyJoe pudknocker FFL was being a PITA, that's all.

concur

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If both you and your wife are authorized to use the credit card, is it still a straw purchase? I would say that the purchase was from a joint account and that the name on the 4473 will be the person purchasing it.

Possibly. It is perfectly legal to buy as a gift for your spouse. If you are both authorized on the account, then surely you'd have a card in your own name so this wouldn't be an issue?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

false

Quoted:

eta

are you serious?

every single thing you have stated so far has been false.

please tell me where in .11a it states who pays for what, or how it's paid for.

it doesn't.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibly. It is perfectly legal to buy as a gift for your spouse. If you are both authorized on the account, then surely you'd have a card in your own name so this wouldn't be an issue?

again, false.
the 4473 has absolutely nothing to do with the credit card.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Ummm... If the ID and the card don't match, I won't make the sale, especially on high dollar items.  Its not that hard to have your name added to that account, and have your own card issued.  Its not the gunshop's fault, they're just covering their ass, because if the charge gets disputed, they are out a rifle and the money.  Now if your wife was there with her card, I would think they would have made the sale in a heartbeat, if not, they are a bunch of dumbasses who don't like money.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't even remember the last time I handed my card to a cashier where the guy even had a second thought about looking at my card, let alone seeing if I was in fact, the holder of the card.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
false
Quoted:

eta

are you serious?    

it doesn't.

It's all in the interpretation of the phrase 'actual buyer' - if the money to complete the transaction is coming from someone else, you could argue they are the buyer, in which case you would be lying on question 11(a). Bear in mind this is the ATF we are dealing with, and should anything negative happen it'll be your attorney vs. the government arguing over the definition of the term 'actual buyer' - which is exactly why I used the term 'grey enough' in my original post. I agree completely that it shouldn't matter where the funds come from in the example above, but I also understand why virtually every FFL I know follows 'the person who chooses it and pays for it has to fill out the 4473' - as the OP found out. I've seen at least one other poster in GD be denied by an FFL because he picked out a gun and his wife tried to pay for it with him filling out the 4473 in the past couple of weeks - this thread keeps coming up, people get all hot and bothered, but it doesn't change the fact that FFL's have the right to deny anything that isn't a straight, clean transaction.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

false

Quoted:

eta

are you serious?    

it doesn't.

It's all in the interpretation of the phrase 'actual buyer' - if the money to complete the transaction is coming from someone else, you could argue they are the buyer, in which case you would be lying on question 11(a). Bear in mind this is the ATF we are dealing with, and should anything negative happen it'll be your attorney vs. the government arguing over the definition of the term 'actual buyer' - which is exactly why I used the term 'grey enough' in my original post. I agree completely that it shouldn't matter where the funds come from in the example above, but I also understand why virtually every FFL I know follows 'the person who chooses it and pays for it has to fill out the 4473' - as the OP found out. I've seen at least one other poster in GD be denied by an FFL because he picked out a gun and his wife tried to pay for it with him filling out the 4473 in the past couple of weeks - this thread keeps coming up, people get all hot and bothered, but it doesn't change the fact that FFL's have the right to deny anything that isn't a straight, clean transaction.

Wall of text

Stop

It's not a straw purchase. It's his wife's card.

eta in red

correct. I said the same thing if you look above.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
false
Quoted:

eta

are you serious?    

it doesn't.

Wall of text  

Stop

I'm laughing so hard here.

Just FYI - this is straight from the ATF to FFL's - look at page 2, second bullet point, they define their interpretation of the term 'actual buyer':

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/SHOT%20Show%202012/011912-detecting-avoiding-illegal-straw-purchases.pdf

Specifically:
“Actual buyer” selects firearm, pays for firearm, takes custody of firearm, etc.

Doesn't say anything about making an exception for spouses paying...
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Nvm.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case then, technically, my wife owns ALL of my guns except for one.
I hope she doesn't leave.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Bought his and hers 1911's and paid for them only to have the FFL figure it that since she was the reciepient of one of the pistols then she needed to fill out a 4473 as well. I think it's just the personel preference of the particular FFL and their paranoia level concerning ATF.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wall of text  

Stop

Just FYI - this is straight from the ATF to FFL's - look at page 2, second bullet point, they define their interpretation of the term 'actual buyer':

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/SHOT%20Show%202012/011912-detecting-avoiding-illegal-straw-purchases.pdf

Specifically:

"Actual buyer” selects firearm, pays for firearm, takes custody of firearm, etc.

First of all, gifts between spouses are allowed.

Second, this was not a gift, it was op using his wifes card, that I am assuming is linked to a joint account.

Even if it's not a joint account, it doesn't matter.

See my first point.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Buy a gift card with the CC.  Then use gift Card for gun purchase.  Is this really so hard?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Bought his and hers 1911's and paid for them only to have the FFL figure it that since she was the reciepient of one of the pistols then she needed to fill out a 4473 as well. I think it's just the personel preference of the particular FFL and their paranoia level concerning ATF.
your ffl did the right thing. If two people are going to own two pistols, you need two forms. fed law

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wall of text  

Stop

Specifically:
"Actual buyer” selects firearm, pays for firearm, takes custody of firearm, etc.

Second, this was not a gift, it was op using his wifes card, that I am assuming is linked to a joint account.

See my first point.

Gifts are allowed period as long as the party is legal to possess firearms. Spouse has nothing to do with it, and carries no special privileges.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wall of text  

Stop

Specifically:

See my first point.

Dude, you are cracking me up. Scroll up a little, when I stated "It is perfectly legal to buy as a gift for your spouse." your instant reply was a succinct 'Again, false'
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well I guess I'm guilty of a couple of straw purchases.

I as well.  My wife just bought me a Spikes lower before Thanksgiving as an early x-mas gift.

Sounds dumb to me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
your ffl did the right thing. If two people are going to own two pistols, you need two forms. fed law

Not necessarily. He is the buyer if he is buying two guns and plans to give one to his wife.

In that case, I'd say it could go either way. No harm in both doing the forms, but required either.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Buy a gift card with the CC.  Then use gift Card for gun purchase.  Is this really so hard?

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Dunham's refused to sell me a rifle because I wouldn't give the dickhead salesman my home phone number. Their loss. Bought elsewhere.
Apparently it was that hard to tell them 555-123-4567?

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#50]
OP was "borrowing" the money from his wife.  He was the actual "buyer" regardless where the money came from.  The shop may have had a legit issue with him using her CC but that doesn't make it a straw purchase.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top