Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2012 8:57:59 AM EDT
This is actually one of the "My friend has" type stories that is the truth.

Literally, a friend of mine has a couple guns he wants to sell. I think they were his fathers. At any rate, I helped him get rid of most of them locally, the only one left, shockingly, is a Hi-point Carbine, 9mm. I believe the model is 995. It appears, from a quick search, that they can be had new for less than $300.

I am trying to tell him a reasonable price on a clean used one. I am thinking in the $200 range. Cheap enough that it wouldnt be worth the cost of shipping most likely, so he should probably move locally.

Also cheap enough that I am almost wondering if it would be worth buying from him to just play with. I have never physically seen nor handled one. A quick search online reveals a bunch of various opinions on them. From great bargain, to utter crap.

I suspect those who own them say they are great bargains, and people that are a bit more snobbish in the firearms tastes (maybe me, a little) think they are junk. Obviously, if ones life depends on a tool, they are going to spend more and buy something proven.

I am just wanting to maybe hear from the hive some general thoughts on a fair price to offer him or tell him at which to sell it, as well as from owners.

Are they fun to play with and blast through cheap ammo, or are they nightmares that are unreliable and will get you bullied at the range?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Truck gun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Truck gun.

Thats not a bad idea. If it can be reliable. Would hate to take the extra time to access a carbine, instead of my pistol, only to have it jam. Then get laughed at for trying to defend myself with a Hi point, LOL.

Unless you just mean to have in the truck for putting something down, or taking a random coyote shot?

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Truck gun.

Yup.

If it doesn't work reliably, send it back and get it fixed until you get one that works.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#4]
boat anchor
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I do not speak from any degree of expertise other than handling one in a gun store.  Seemed incredibly cheap and I really wondered how many rounds it would shoot before going blowing apart.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
These are more the types of opinion I thought I'd get.

I am going to look and see if I can find any sales threads of used ones to get me a number for him.

Is $200 pretty close to what they usually sell for used? Or is it even less?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#7]

I had the 995TS, ran right about 2,000 rounds through it before it got stolen.
Never had a malfunction of any sort, and was plenty accurate enough.

Gonna get another, one of these days.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These are more the types of opinion I thought I'd get.

I am going to look and see if I can find any sales threads of used ones to get me a number for him.

Is $200 pretty close to what they usually sell for used? Or is it even less?

Since their warranty is basically "if it's broke, we'll send you a new one," it wouldn't be unreasonable to sell it for, perhaps, 80% of the going price for new.

I just pulled that percentage out of nowhere. It's just a guess at what I'd find reasonable.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Gun is a good blaster.    I bought one  for my father in law, (actually my partner's father).     He loves it.    

The magazines suck.     They are supposed to hold 9 or 10 rounds but jam with more than 7.

I would get a KelTec carbine instead though neither matches my Colt Gold Cup, Colt AR's, Siggs, Khar's, and such.    Then again, I do have some KelTec P3ATs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gun is a good blaster.    I bought one  for my father in law, (actually my partner's father).     He loves it.    

The magazines suck.     They are supposed to hold 9 or 10 rounds but jam with more than 7.

I would get a KelTec carbine instead though neither matches my Colt Gold Cup, Colt AR's, Siggs, Khar's, and such.    Then again, I do have some KelTec P3ATs.

So, a couple of you have had decent experience. May be something fun to play around with, will try and get my hands on it and get a better opinion.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Not quite as ugly as their pistols, but still ugly. I've shot the .40s&w one. It went bang, decent accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#12]
not worth $200 used, you could almost buy a nicer rifle like an SKS for a little more

the Hipoint has almost no resale value, it's almost like a BIC disposable lighter

I would probably expect to resell it at a gun show for maybe $100 - $125 if your lucky

it's not the type of gun that holds it's value
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Bought one used about 5 years ago.  Fired who knows how many rounds through it without any problem.  Fun, light and accurate.

Ugly as sin, though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, a couple of you have had decent experience. May be something fun to play around with, will try and get my hands on it and get a better opinion.

Hi-points are perfectly adequate for defensive use.

The only failures I've seen are a direct result of no lube (at all) + no cleaning. Though I suggested "send it back until you get one that works," I've never personally seen one that doesn't work 100% (caveat: clean and/or lubed).

They are much, much less graceful than Glocks (yeah, they're that ugly and clunky), but they're functional if properly handled and maintained.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not give the friend a dime over $200 for it, but I would buy it if you can. I had one of the carbines, regret selling it. It ran like a scalded ape, I never cleaned it. I would squirt some breakfree down in the action and work it back and forth every so often.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Bought one back in early 2008. Paid about $180 OTD for it (on sale at Dunhams).

It works. Mag is a little weird to load at times (esp. when new). Had a couple problems early on with the mag, but haven't had any since then. To be honest, I've probably only fired a few boxes of ammo through it in total (steel case Wolf). It's reasonably fun to shoot. For $180 it's not a bad gun. Do I sometimes wonder if I should have just spent the money on a case of 9mm for my handguns? Yes. But I bought it on a whim and I don't see myself selling it (that's against the rules!). I take it out back every once in a great while and fire a mag through it.

One of the ugliest guns I've ever seen, and definitely the ugliest gun I own. But it's a reliable design. It's not a gun I spontaneously recommend to friends soliciting advice for future purchases, but I would never discourage someone from buying one if they wanted to. It's not an enormous investment.

Can't say I have much "pride in ownership" for the thing, but it's good for giggles.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#17]
NO
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
They are a hell of a lot of fun.  I had one for probably 10 years.  Cheap, dorky looking and clunky.  I used my for turtle busting.  If you're into $200 guns this is the salvage titled Tahoe with Cadillac hood ornament of guns for you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Bought one in 2000 for $139. It's a fun gun to mess around with but other than that, it pretty much takes up space in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I see them as something disposable to throw in a cabin broom closet and forget about.

Sucks as a plinker unless you want to stock up on low capacity proprietary magazines.

Oh, the magazines are goddamn awful, someone might make springs to replace the fucking bent up paperclip they come with.

I might buy one for $150, $200 better come with some mags and ammo or something.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I knew an absolute dumbass that shot the shit out of one every chance he got.
Cleaned/ lubricated with spilled beer and swamp water.

"Dis sumbitchs' aways ready t' roll"
I'm not sure if it was a speech impediment or always being plastered; maybe both.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I see new ones for $259, $279 or so with the old style stock.
I sold mine for $150 or $175, pretty used.

Is it cheap?  yes.  Is it flimsy?  yes.  Did it go bang every single time I shot it?  YES.
I jokingly called it the AK of pistol caliber carbines - I shot a couple thousand through it without a single issue, ever.

Also, a 16" barrel makes 9mm FLY, you'll be surprised at the juice that barrel gives the round.

$175 or $200 would be fair.

<eat> I once lost my charging handle like a dumbass and they sent me a new one for free, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#23]
http://cinefugue.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/heston.jpg

reminds me of something from Planet of the Apes
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a fun cheap gun it eats steel no problem and when we go to the range everyone likes shooting it. And if something breaks it's covered for life.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:
Bought one back in early 2008. Paid about $180 OTD for it (on sale at Dunhams).

It works. Mag is a little weird to load at times (esp. when new). Had a couple problems early on with the mag, but haven't had any since then. To be honest, I've probably only fired a few boxes of ammo through it in total (steel case Wolf). It's reasonably fun to shoot. For $180 it's not a bad gun. Do I sometimes wonder if I should have just spent the money on a case of 9mm for my handguns? Yes. But I bought it on a whim and I don't see myself selling it (that's against the rules!). I take it out back every once in a great while and fire a mag through it.

One of the ugliest guns I've ever seen, and definitely the ugliest gun I own. But it's a reliable design. It's not a gun I spontaneously recommend to friends soliciting advice for future purchases, but I would never discourage someone from buying one if they wanted to. It's not an enormous investment.

Can't say I have much "pride in ownership" for the thing, but it's good for giggles.

Been a while since I have seen the older model. The newer one is an improvement in looks, in my opinion. Doesn't somebody make a Storm-esque aftermarket stock for it?

eta: I am curious about mags, too. Is the same mag that fits the pitstol (of the same caliber) the only thing available?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
not worth $200 used, you could almost buy a nicer rifle like an SKS for a little more

the Hipoint has almost no resale value, it's almost like a BIC disposable lighter

I would probably expect to resell it at a gun show for maybe $100 - $125 if your lucky

it's not the type of gun that holds it's value

amazing how little so many actually know what they speak of here. for a gun foum there is sooo much stupid.

easily sell for $225 for the new version and $195-205 if the older version. most dealers bolt on extra shit to drive the price up. a bare bones will get you money.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#28]
ATI stock for it makes it look alot better
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had mine for about 3  years. Never had a failure no matter what ammo I've used. It is definetly a fun gun to shoot and actually reasonably accurate. If I were you I would get it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#30]
nevermind

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

ATI stock for it makes it look alot better

It makes it look like a Beretta Storm.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't know about the 9mm, but I have the .40 s&w which I gave $300 for with a cheapo rds.  The trigger is terrible, but otherwise has been flawless through about 500 rounds of all kinds of ammo including some pretty hot reloads that I was hesitant to shoot in Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Buy a Mosin Carbine instead.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't think I could bring myself to buy one, even for $200 because better guns can be had for not much more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought mine for a Hundred dollar bill. It came with the cheap scope on it.

It eats anything I feed it and out to about 70 yds or so it holds its own with "better" guns.

10rd, mags suck Camel cock and it's uglier than a bastard cat, but other than that.......

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

some pretty hot reloads that I was hesitant to shoot in Glocks.

I took my 9mm HP carbine to an Arfcom shoot a few years back. Someone had a KelTec Sub2000 9mm that was having some problems feeding (I believe it was due to the Scherer mag being used). It was pushing the bullets of the 9mm WWB ammo he was using pretty far back into the case (my guess was the bullet was sitting directly on top of the powder). He built up a little pile of maybe 5 of these rounds.

The guy was gonna get rid of them, so I asked him if I could shoot them in the Hi-Point. They were some pretty stout rounds, but there was no jams or KBs. The Hi-Point ate them right up.

Wasn't there a series of YouTube videos where someone literally tried to blow up a Hi-Point pistol? ETA: Here's the last of the videos, part 1 and 2 can be found from here too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
If you can get it to run reliably, home defense carbine. That way, you won't feel too bad if it ends up in an evidence locker at the local police department.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://pictures1.net/uploads/preview/i-m-listening.jpg

What about it?   Careful.   Don't get disrespectful and get banned.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We like homo-queers around here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/funny-pictures-your-cat-does-not-care.jpg

That is how most couples, who are both registered on this site, are treated ?

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I had one several years ago and it was fine, decent groups and ate every kind of ammo that I could give it, 10rd mag capacity sucks though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#44]
They are butt ugly. Having said that, they go bang every time.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/funny-pictures-your-cat-does-not-care.jpg

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I do not speak from any degree of expertise other than handling one in a gun store.  Seemed incredibly cheap and I really wondered how many rounds it would shoot before going blowing apart.

I put 500rds of PMC Bronze and Winchester White Box through mine, never cleaned it.   Just had to FTF on the first magazine I shot, after that?  Never an issue.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Word of advice.  This is GD, lighten up... it's almost always meant in good fun... almost...
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had one several years ago and it was fine, decent groups and ate every kind of ammo that I could give it, 10rd mag capacity sucks though.

IIRC someone makes a 15 round aftermarket mag for it dont they?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a lot of gay members on here, including a lot of the mods and staff. They are all treated with the respect they deserve man. Its all good
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC someone makes a 15 round aftermarket mag for it dont they?

Promag, I heard they sucked.  

I have an older 995, so does my brother in law.  Cheap, accurate, reliable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top