Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eval period is not closed.  Employee left.  I'm torn.

Then he's still being evaluated, no?

Quitting without adequate notice is unprofessional.

Advanced notice is a courtesy, not an obligation unless he signed something to the effect of foregoing a bonus if leaving before a period is up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So an employee missed half a day out of a entire bonus period and you want to screw him over for it?  How long is the period?  Where I work it is 3 months, 500+ hours.  Bonuses are paid on billable hour.  You must be pretty bitter towards someone getting a better job to screw them over due to leaving early once.

He didn't "leave early once", he left early after knowing he could no longer be fired for such actions. He left before the bonus was paid, no bonus. Shit, a friend of mine didn't get a Christmas bonus one year(not even performance based) because the boss knew he was leaving in January to pursue a different job. In that case, he still worked there on bonus day and got screwed. The OP's guy doesn't even work there when the bonus is to be paid, should be a no brainer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Did he give you 2 weeks notice? If not no bonus. If so I would scale it back a bit because he is blowing off his final days working for you. How old is he?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Employee quit, employee perform poor after give notice, he get nothing, NOTHING.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An employee got a better job, and has decided to take it.  The job starts next week.  Yesterday, the employee clocked out early.  I called the employee and said the bonuses were about to calculated.  The period closes tonight for eval.  This worker is a great performer.  The bonus has a potential of 3k ish.  Well, the employee worked some yesterday and said promised to would work today and Sunday.  Today was a scheduled day, but tomorrow would be extra.  Well, the employee put in half a shift and split.  So I am not happy.  I have the ability to bonus at 1.5x, 1.0x, or any other variable, including ZERO.  I am leaning toward ZERO.  What say ye?

P.S.  I cant blame someone for taking a better paying job; I am upset that I was shorted after our conversation.

Your call.

Personally, if he would have ridden out his obligations I would give it to them based on half of what they would have earned if they stayed. But, since he split on what he promised I don't think I would give anything.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
If the employee didn't provide the convential 2 week notice, I wouldn't pay the bonus.  Also, I normally only pay bonuses to employees who are actively working the day the check is posted, unless they are retired.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Another extremely important consideration is that whatever you do you may be setting a precedence that can be used against you in the future.  

What are you gonna do when then next slacker leaves you hanging at a point thats say, 90% of the way to the bonus day?  What about 80%, or 50%?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
An employee got a better job, and has decided to take it.  The job starts next week.  Yesterday, the employee clocked out early.  I called the employee and said the bonuses were about to calculated.  The period closes tonight for eval.  This worker is a great performer.  The bonus has a potential of 3k ish.  Well, the employee worked some yesterday and said promised to would work today and Sunday.  Today was a scheduled day, but tomorrow would be extra.  Well, the employee put in half a shift and split.  So I am not happy.  I have the ability to bonus at 1.5x, 1.0x, or any other variable, including ZERO.  I am leaning toward ZERO.  What say ye?

P.S.  I cant blame someone for taking a better paying job; I am upset that I was shorted after our conversation.

No way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How long was the period and what proportion was the half day?

If you're shorting him 6 months bonus because he left 4 hours early, you're the douche.

Deduct 0.87 cents from him bonus and send it to him.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another extremely important consideration is that whatever you do you may be setting a precedence that can be used against you in the future.  

What are you gonna do when then next slacker leaves you hanging at a point thats say, 90% of the way to the bonus day?  What about 80%, or 50%?

Also, what you already have done has set precedence.  In other words, routinely paid bonuses can be considered to be compensation that is expected to be paid.  Both by employees and courts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then he's still being evaluated, no?

Quitting without adequate notice is unprofessional.

Advanced notice is a courtesy, not an obligation unless he signed something to the effect of foregoing a bonus if leaving before a period is up.

A courtesy that means if you don't give it, you don't get a bonus...If it is at my discretion, I don't care how stellar the guy is. If he can't give two weeks notice, he is dog grunt as far as I am concerned.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If he isn't working out a 2 week notice period, don't pay the bonus.  Normally, I only pay bonuses to employees who are actively at work when the checks are cut, unless it is a retiree.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]
zero, what are you thinking?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]
More serious answer than the one I posted above.

I don't know what industry the OP works in or how bonuses are calculated but my related experience is as follows: for both where I worked and where my wife works, for both raises and bonuses, each group/department gets a fixed assignment to divide between all employees, the manager decides who gets what share of the departments bonus based on performance. If someone quits isn't it better for the team to divide the bonus between those that are left? bonuses are paid to motivate people and reward/maximize performance, get the money to those still working for you instead of paying it to someone where there will be no return on the investment.

Couple of years back my wife had a guy who was good but not great, but at the same time difficult to replace. He came to her and asked for a big raise and a promotion from director to VP, she didn't want to lose him so he got the promotion and the biggest share of the groups raise/bonus allocation, 4 months later he quit anyway. To make it worse he was based in Germany where you have to pay for 3 month's notice when someone resigns, so not only did he take everyone else's bonus/raise but he also got paid extra for quitting.

OP: It sounds like his bonus is based on his performance over the whole period that is ongoing and he is supposed to work the whole period to be eligible for the bonus, he isn't meeting his obligation by quitting and not putting in all his hours, he doesn't deserve the bonus as he isn't earning it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#16]
He left you hanging after telling you he would be there.

No check.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Zero
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You know the answer to the question as posed.

I think there is more to the story.

I would not give him a bonus as things appear.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since you don't blame him for taking the other job, I only have one question.  Did he earn the bonus?  If so, give him what he deserves.  Bruised feelings shouldn't play a role in this.

Without knowing all the details, I'm leaning this way.  If he performed superbly for the last 364/365 days, then give him 99% of the bonus you would have if he went 365/365.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every place I've worked, if you split before the bonus check is in your hot little hands, you get 0.00$.  YMMV

+1
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're right.  There is more to the story.  The employee doesn't qualify for the bonus, but I have the discretion to pay it out.  I actually like this person, and wanted to pay it out until I got bamboozled.  Let me be clear (please don't read in obama's voice): POLICY:  No bonus.  MANAGER DISCRETION:  I can pay it if I want to.  Yeah, I guess it could be considered a dick move to say "well, you told me you would do something, you didn't do it, I was trying to look out for you, you dicked me over, no bonus as per company policy."
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Give it to him if he's working hard and earning it. It sounds like he's stopping working very hard though, so I wouldn't give him much.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Any place I've been where there was any kind of bonus, if you left the firm before the bonus was paid out you forfeited the bonus.

A bonus is usually viewed as much as incentive for future performance as reward for past performance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#24]
There are an awful lot of people I've seen in this thread talking up the "employee's right to leave and go elsewhere in a free market" who are shouting loud to screw him for doing just that.

GD, as always, is full of hypocrites.

Pay the man what he's earned, OP.  Don't be a dick about it because he took a better job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]
No, the bonus is to motivate the employee toward future work.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There are an awful lot of people I've seen in this thread talking up the "employee's right to leave and go elsewhere in a free market" who are shouting loud to screw him for doing just that.

Pay the man what he's earned, OP.  Don't be a dick about it because he took a better job.

The employee decided to leave his shift early, screwing the OP.  And he did it during the eval period.  Fuck him, he gets nothing but the pay he is entitled to.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]

The employee abandoned their bonus when they resigned.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He did get paid for what he earned: His normal salary/wage for hours worked

Then he decided to: 1) leave before the eval period ended 2)not give 2 weeks notice 3)leave early without notice, and 4) no show the next day

ANY place I have EVER worked would be terminated for the last two of the above, and terminated employees don't get bonuses. The guy has no one to blame but himself.

Who in their right fuckin' mind would give such a tool a bonus? Not only that, POLICY states he shouldn't receive a bonus. To give him a bonus would also set a bad precedence with the other employees.

NO BONUS

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right.  There is more to the story.  The employee doesn't qualify for the bonus, but I have the discretion to pay it out.  I actually like this person, and wanted to pay it out until I got bamboozled.  Let me be clear (please don't read in obama's voice): POLICY:  No bonus.  MANAGER DISCRETION:  I can pay it if I want to.  Yeah, I guess it could be considered a dick move to say "well, you told me you would do something, you didn't do it, I was trying to look out for you, you dicked me over, no bonus as per company policy."

You are the manager, your duty is to the company and it's profitability not to a former employee who quit and left you in the lurch.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

He hasn't earned the bonus, he quit before finishing earning the bonus.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#31]
If he worked the entire year and new it was coming then I would say honor it but if its not entilted or a given then no money for them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

ZERO  

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Places I've worked for and others I know that paid bonuses required you be an active employee on the date the bonus was paid. In some cases te bonus pay date was a few months after the period it covered.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#34]
No notice, no bonus.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why would you give him a bonus if you know he is leaving and he has been slacking off. What would you gain by giving him shit?

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am in management. Bonus are paid to employees who have proven themselves. He earned it, therefore do the right thing and pay the man a bonus. if it were me, i would pay him half of what you had previously calculated. Of course I would explain to him, im person that he is a valuable asset and that if he chooses to stay then he would recieve more.

Yup.

Give him half or give him nothing.

No hard feelings.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Since you don't blame him for taking the other job, I only have one question.  Did he earn the bonus?  If so, give him what he deserves.  Bruised feelings shouldn't play a role in this.
I agree, if he earned it before that last day he should still get the full amount. Taking it away for "ONE" day is complete BS. I'd guess if you gave him a raise and treated him with more respect he would still be working for you.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

this.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#39]
divide it up among the other employees?  

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#40]
zero!

He bailed on his shift.  No call no show no money!

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
quitting without giving ample notice.

No such animal

Quoted:
He left you hanging after telling you he would be there.

No check.

And this
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#42]
ZERO
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Give him the bonus.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The employee left without notice before the end of the eval period, they walked away from the bonus. GA is an at-will state, they decided to leave so unless there is some written agreement, you have to work through the end of the eval period. I would not pay the bonus, they left for a better job, wish them well but no bonus.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#46]
job abandonment

but if he was a good employee and was a positive part of reaching the goal of a bonus and you liked the kid I would probably give him something
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#47]
A bonus is an indication of how valuable an employee is. My guess is as an employee who is about to leave, he isn't very important. If he was a good worker and deserved it, tell him a bonus will be waiting for him when he wants to come back or something to that affect. Not a good business decision to throw money at the guy walking out the door.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Until the last page, I was all for you being the dick.

Now, based on company policy, dont pay him one red cent. Sets a bad legal precedent. Dont do it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#49]
My previous employer where I was bonus eligible simply required that you were on the payroll for a certain number of days within the bonus period to be eligible. I think it was something like 160 days minimum within the 180 day period and you would get the bonus assuming you qualified, regardless of employment status at bonus time, hell you could have been fired and so long as you were there for that 160 days of the bonus period, or whatever the minimum was, can't quite recall, you got the bonus.

I transferred locations once and got two bonuses, one for my previous location and one for my new one. I transferred within a day or two of being eligible for both and I had no idea at the time. That was a rather nice surprise
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#50]
So dude who is still a probbie comes up and says "yo boss I got hired at derpyherp industry I start on Monday!"
If derpyherp is your direct competition why is he allowed to work and not walked right to the door with the remaining pay period paid to him?  
Chance of work, tools and materials going with him are pretty high along with client info.

Bonus?? for employees not people who left.
Take that 3k and throw a helluva employee appreciation party.
Page / 4
Top Top