Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Ain't scared and these volcanologist don't fucking know what will happen.  Hell IIRC, they have never accurately predicted and eruption before one happens.  Alarmist Scientist are alarmist because they need another grant from uncle sugar.  Heart disease, car accidents, and cancer will get all of y'all before a volcano does.

Edit, I own Page 2!
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The ARFCOMERs living west of the Mississippi that have been thinking they were in good shape for SHTF will really be disappointed because they would be the first to go.  The ones living east of the Mississippi will be happy as horseshit  that their SHTF day has finally arrived.  At least they would be that way until they got really hungry a few months later.

The eruption would destroy the US as a first world country.  It would mostly throw the world into a major depression.  Between the economic loss and a few years of reduced crop growth due to cooling there would be at least a billion deaths world wide, if not more.  It would probably take the US 100 years to recover, if ever.

The eruption would not directly kill that many people in the west, maybe only a few hundred thousand.  The rest would be refugees to the east and NW.  Disease and starvation would come in the east for a few years.  At least half if not 2/3rd of the people in the US would die over time as result.  The rest of the world would have their own problems so don't expect relief.  

This is not the SHTF we want.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For once, all you free state f––kers are gonna wish you live here in NY!

Looks like MS is out of the cloud, so no–– you can keep NY.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Alarmist Scientist are alarmist because they need another grant from uncle sugar.  Heart disease, car accidents, and cancer will get all of y'all before a volcano does.

Tell that to Harry Truman next time you travel to Mt St Helens

Oh wait, you can't..he is buried 150 feet down

Quoted:
The ARFCOMERs living west of the Mississippi that have been thinking they were in good shape for SHTF will really be disappointed because they would be the first to go.  The ones living east of the Mississippi will be happy as horseshit  that their SHTF day has finally arrived.  At least they would be that way until they got really hungry a few months later.

The eruption would destroy the US as a first world country.  It would mostly throw the world into a major depression.  Between the economic loss and a few years of reduced crop growth due to cooling there would be at least a billion deaths world wide, if not more.  It would probably take the US 100 years to recover, if ever.

The eruption would not directly kill that many people in the west, maybe only a few hundred thousand.  The rest would be refugees to the east and NW.  Disease and starvation would come in the east for a few years.  At least half if not 2/3rd of the people in the US would die over time as result.  The rest of the world would have their own problems so don't expect relief.  

This is not the SHTF we want.

Sorry, but I dont think it'd be the end you foresee. Things might be rough for a bit, but I don't see it being any worse than any other single volcanic explosion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Obama would be so happy, POTUS for life

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is not the SHTF we want.[/quote]

You want Some?  Poop in hand, fling in to fan, viola SHTF
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And Yellowstone would do most of his work for him.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would miss the geyser  "Old Faithful."

Seriously, if it happens, it happens; there is nothing humans can do to prevent it. Look what happen to Mt. St. Helens.

that was a mere burp compared to the anticipated  Yellowstone event
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I could see spinning that into job's created by him!
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would miss the geyser  "Old Faithful."

Seriously, if it happens, it happens; there is nothing humans can do to prevent it. Look what happen to Mt. St. Helens.

I have ashes I picked up from Mt. St. Helen's. I failed as I didn't have a camera.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking more in the lines of "destroying the US as a power in the world...."
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What would happen?  Is it a survivable catastrophy or instantanious death for most americans?  In my mind this would create the ultimate SHTF scenario for anyone not instantly killed.  Not only here in America but worldwide.

I'll survive. I don't know about the rest of yall.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Mother Ghia is very angry.

Posted in Merrel's absence  
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking more in the lines of "destroying the US as a power in the world...."

our aircraft carriers and ships would still be a float
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What would happen?  Is it a survivable catastrophy or instantanious death for most americans?  In my mind this would create the ultimate SHTF scenario for anyone not instantly killed.  Not only here in America but worldwide.

Lets just say our national debt wouldn't be an issue any more.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 The ones living east of the Mississippi will be happy as horseshit  that their SHTF day has finally arrived.  At least they would be that way until they got really hungry a few months late.

Bullshit!    I've got.... like literally, BOXES of Twinkies!

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mother Ghia is very angry.

Not sure why the mother of Italian car designers would be mad, but Mother Gaia might be upset in this instance
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#18]
We'd be screwed, most of our grains/cereals in the great plains would be wiped out. Train/highways would be destroyed so no way of our food supply to get across the US, medications would cease so 10-20% of Americans who use mess would die or go crazy. Global crop supply would dwindle. China would edge as supreme, Iran would attack Israel since we could not stop them.

Lack of food and low crop yield let alone the destruction of the caldera would result in 60-80% of Americans dead.

Mexico would be invaded with the biggest flow of illegal immigrants the world has ever seen! Payback's a bitch!
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#19]
When the American heartland becomes uninhabitable we would have to invade somewhere where the land is still good and take over.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We'd be screwed, most of our grains/cereals in the great plains would be wiped out. Train/highways would be destroyed so no way of our food supply to get across the US, medications would cease so 10-20% of Americans who use mess would die or go crazy. Global crop supply would dwindle. China would edge as supreme, Iran would attack Israel since we could not stop them.

Lack of food and low crop yield let alone the destruction of the caldera would result in 60-80% of Americans dead.

Mexico would be invaded with the biggest flow of illegal immigrants the world has ever seen! Payback's a bitch!

You talk like none of that stuff would be rebuilt in a priority status, and even if some crops were affected for a year or so, the bulk of the land would be back into production the next year. Its not like a volcano magically renders land sterile.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ever see or read The Road. It has been hypothesised by many that this was the event and results that Mcarthy envisions. Also has been hypothosised as the event the wiped out the Dino's, so safe to say I think that the phase "We are fucked" comes to mind as a pretty good answer.

J-
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
It would be hard times for a lot of folks for a few years.  It will outright kill thousands that live in the vicinity if they have no warning.  Crop production would go down, but not for the entire ash foot print- not even close.  Much of that would equate to less than a foot of ash.  There will probably be a few years with low average temps.

Buy stock in bull dozers, road plows, and masks.

Like most volcano eruptions, there will almost certainly be warning before it goes.  The death rate will probably in the hundreds and maybe thousands, but not likely millions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You talk like none of that stuff would be rebuilt in a priority status, and even if some crops were affected for a year or so, the bulk of the land would be back into production the next year. Its not like a volcano magically renders land sterile.

what do you grow in 10-20ft of ash?  Or who would you have work in it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

what do you grow in 10-20ft of ash?  Or who would you have work in it?

Are you speculating that that level of ash will cover multiple states? Whats the basis for that speculation?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll just throw this in here, do the math looks like were just about overdue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up to 10ft 1,000 miles from the caldera. Trains, trucks would cease to run in the Ash cloud as it would clog the engines. Thousands of miles of train tracks, roads would be useless and moving supplies would be at a grinding halt. let's not think about how many crops would be lost that season to the South and the ash cloud east of the Mississippi.

You know hard it is to remove a couple feet of ash and have water available to grow them in 100,000 square miles? You are not thinking big enough. The supply line between eastern and western America would be shut down for years. What do you do with 50,000,000 people on the west coast that need food from the east coast/vise versa?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Up to 10ft 1,000 miles from the caldera. Trains, trucks would cease to run in the Ash cloud as it would clog the engines. Thousands of miles of train tracks, roads would be useless and moving supplies would be at a grinding halt. let's not think about how many crops would be lost that season to the South and the ash cloud east of the Mississippi.

You know hard it is to remove a couple feet of ash and have water available to grow them in 100,000 square miles? You are not thinking big enough. The supply line between eastern and western America would be shut down for years. What do you do with 50,000,000 people on the west coast that need food from the east coast/vise versa?

Where are you getting the figures for that degree of ash cover.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I will not get to live out my SHTF dreams.

Lives outside of yellowstone

Just jump in the limo and drive on out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Worse than Y2K  
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you getting the figures for that degree of ash cover.

Did a simple google search, others said 1ft, even then we lose a year of crops and the less sunlight we would lose worldwide for years would decrease worldwide crop production. Machines that are used to carry our food would get clogged and rendered useless all the while people panic and go crazy. We're reliant on trains and trucks to haul our resources, if they were put to a stop even for 6 months, many people would not make it. No meds, food, water....
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends on the size.  A Huckleberry Ridge-sized event?  TEOTWAWKI.

A West Thumb-sized event?  Probably just SHTF for the US.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Any would be a SHTF, out stock market would collapse, especially in our current financial weakened state. Look what 9/11 did to the market and that was just a couple buildings and 3,000 dead....

If we were an impoverished country that never really had anything, a country that has suffered for years then we could do more with less, however Americans have not had it really difficult for a majority in generations.

People would panic. Los Angeles would lose it's water supply from the north, it's so dry, 5 million people would look for resources and take it by force. That's just one city...
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#34]
The real question is....what happens when a large asteroid impacts yellowstone and triggers an eruption?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#35]
The real question is....what happens when a large asteroid impacts yellowstone and triggers an eruption?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any would be a SHTF, out stock market would collapse, especially in our current financial weakened state. Look what 9/11 did to the market and that was just a couple buildings and 3,000 dead....

If we were an impoverished country that never really had anything, a country that has suffered for years then we could do more with less, however Americans have not had it really difficult for a majority in generations.

People would panic. Los Angeles would lose it's water supply from the north, it's so dry, 5 million people would look for resources and take it by force. That's just one city...

Virtually none of LA's water supply comes from Yellowstone area.  Unless the eruption was big enough to clog the Green River and its storage dams the water would continue to flow to Southern California.

Southern Idaho, OTOH, would be screwed no matter what.....

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm talking northern California. When things are full of ash and roads are blocked off. Will northern California send water south or keep it?

There is also another caldera over Mono lake east of Yosemite.

LA gets a lot of water from the pipeline from Owens valley. Interesting story of how LA water stole the water and sucked it dry.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Just as an aside, I believe when this came up a few years ago Yellowstone was said to be be in a declining phase. just saying. Besides, I want to go visit the park next summer. Best, Rob
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Just as an aside, I believe when this came up a few years ago Yellowstone was said to be be in a declining phase. just saying. Besides, I want to go visit the park next summer. Best, Rob

Not how it work here. You would be best served towing the party line of "we are all going to fucking die!!!!!!!!"

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#40]
its going to be bad, but not that bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#41]
What if when Yellowstone erupts it causes the New Madrid to wake up, now that would really suck, either one by themselves would change our nation for 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Thought there was an 'Alert' on this a few years ago?
I do remember (not looking it up now) in the early '90's or so, when there was the huge forest fire.
I woke up early on a Sunday morning and remember the sky being a brownish-yellow haze, and could smell it.
All the way in SW PA.
ETA, looked it up, started June, 1988.
Worst wild fires Yellowstone ever had.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#43]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_fires_of_1988
A bit off topic, however, with volcanic ash, etc., to see the smoke and smell that fire all the from SW PA always had me wondering
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The ash typically reaches from MT to the Mississippi and down to TX.  Areas to the West are left untouched due to prevailing winds.  The temperature of the earth might drop a couple degrees for a few years.

So, food would become expensive and America would be in a world of hurt.  It wouldn't be a mass extinction event though, unless the rest of the world decides to take advantage of us in our moment of weakness.  

last super volcano explosion almost wiped out mankind..

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would create my own fiefdom in the ash fields of Iowa and would lead raiding parties along the Mississippi.

I would find me a postman's uniform.  I'd be all set.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It would probably have to be a very large impactor striking the exact opposite side of the planet from Yellowstone to even do that.  It's hypothesized that such an impact is what triggered the Siberian Traps eruptions that are linked with the Permian-Triassic mass extinction.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would happen?

The libtards will find a way to blame big oil and bush

Fracking.

The entire "western" goes into the shitter after this. Don't worry about the libtards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#48]
one intensely bad year.
two relatively shitty years
then things start looking up

In ten years, they start having AshFall Festivals.

One benefit i don't often see mentioned –– replenishing the topsoil.   I don't know, but I ASSume that it would make a nice amendment to the depleted farm soils that blow away.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you read my link on the first page, you'll see that the USGS says that 6" of ash will do just that.

Very thick burial (> 150 mm ash)

All non-woody plants are buried.
Burial will sterilize soil profile by isolation from oxygen.
Soil burial is complete and there is no communication from the buried soil to the new ash surface.
Soil formation must begin from this new "time zero."
Several hundred (to a few thousand years) may pass before new equilibrium soil is established, but plants can grow within years to decades.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I go fishing.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top