Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:56:57 AM EDT
TL: DR he said he would have done what they didn't and fight and land the plane.......phew.

Mark Wahlberg "I Would Have Fought 9/11 Hijackers & Landed Plane"

Mark Wahlberg claims he could have done what hundreds of other doomed passengers couldn't ... fought off the multiple 9/11 terrorists and saved one of the hijacked planes.

Wahlberg just gave an interview with Men's Journal ... in which he states, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'"

So the question ... is Wahlberg's braggadocio insulting to the dead passengers and their families?

––––––––––––––––––––––––-

TMZ spoke with Deena Burnett-Bailey –– whose husband Thomas Burnett phoned her from that fateful flight saying, "I know we're going to die. There's three of us who are going to do something about it."

Burnett-Bailey tells us, "Does Mark Wahlberg have a pilot's license? Then I think hindsight is 20/20 and it's insignificant to say what you would have done if you weren't there. "

She adds, "The plan for Flight 93 was foiled by heroes. For him to speculate that his presence on board could have stopped everything is silly and disrespectful.  Sounds like someone is grandstanding."

We called Wahlberg for comment –– so far, no word back.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/18/911-widow-mark-wahlberg-disrespectful/#.TxcWifmJ1kw

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/18/mark-wahlberg-911-flight-93-hijackers-fight/#.TxcW4PmJ1kw

i'm an asshole my self...but WOW....
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have fought also!
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they have booster seats in the cockpits of commercial airliners?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
god damn its like being famous is a mental disorder
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
He's a small turd.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ya, but do you know how to pilot?

i would fight as well....but that is some low shit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Isnt that what the 93 passengers were trying to do? Gain access to the cockpit?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No at that point it would have been game over I guess
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Do they have booster seats in the cockpits of commercial airliners?

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Marky Mark and his Funky Bunch are the scourge of hijackers everywhere. Didn't you know?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#10]
He's crossed the line from real life into movieland. I think Hollywood does this to people.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Dirk Diger needs a tall glass of shut-up
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck him.......go curl cinder blocks again you fucking douche bag.

5'4" fake tough guy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Hindsight is 20/20.  Anybody would have fought knowing what we know now.  He's a douche.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think that event changed the mindset of a LOT of people in regards to how to respond to a hijacking.  For those of us that are old enough, we still have images of planes sitting on runways with the pilot sticking out the window relaying hijacker demands and we hoped for the best.  Today, we can only assume that a fiery death is the end game, and thus anything to change the outcome is fair play.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Knowing what we all know now, there is not a man on the site that wouldn't.

Before 9/11, hijackings were pretty boring, no one really got hurt, so why fight back?

Hindsight, blah blah
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#16]
How utterly foolish.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Hindsight is 20/20.

The thinking up until 9/11/2001 at 8 AM was that people hijack airplanes, fly them somewhere, make demands, get their money, and try to get away.  Nobody did anything on the first 3 planes because nobody in this country thought that they would be used as a missile.

Flight 93 had insight since they were further behind in the schedule, used their cell phones, and found out what was happening.

Kind of an @$$hole thing to say, since nobody else has a crazy enough imagination to crash a plane. (At least until 9/12...)

edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

QFT.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that event changed the mindset of a LOT of people in regards to how to respond to a hijacking.  For those of us that are old enough, we still have images of planes sitting on runways with the pilot sticking out the window relaying hijacker demands and we hoped for the best.  Today, we can only assume that a fiery death is the end game, and thus anything to change the outcome is fair play.

correct
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Marky Mark is actually a tough bastard. He grew up in the "ghetto" dealing with all the shit that comes with that and managed to get lucky and become a Hollywood star. I have no doubt he would have fought the hijackers and probably crash the plane trying to land it, but at least he would have done something. But he still should have kept this to himself and not say it in an interview
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget that the hijackers slit some throats when they first started their takeover. I'm betting most likely they went after men they were afraid that would have taken them on. Also bet if it had little Marky on their, they would have skipped hm while he was shitting on himself.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#22]
He's right. Too bad there wasn't a stubby, no talent actor on board to save everyone. I'll bet he could have done it in three takes, and only one rewrite.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's easy to say that in hindsight but, it's important to remember that the majority of the populace, prior to 9/11, had been conditioned by dozens of hijackings to "give them what they want." The main reason 9/11 was so effective as a terrorist tactic is that it turned the "known quantities" on their head. Prior to that day hijackings usually ended with the passengers sitting on an airport runway with hijackers negotiating with authorities until everyone went home unharmed.

I grew up in Saudi Arabia and flew on enough international flights to vividly remember that hijackings were not only a real threat but, that they generally ended with most people unharmed.

Now that the terrorists have proven it's dangerous to be docile I doubt you'll ever see another successful hijacking in any country.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT.  

So true!
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't give interviews while drunk
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Plays bad ass in movies = he can do anything in real life.

Obviously.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#27]
The passengers would have fought back too, if they didn't think they were just being ransomed versus being used as a missile.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Well flight 93 did just that.
If he's got such ninja moves that he can get past those keeping the "hostages" at bay, get through the door, and stop the terrorist before he noses it down into the dirt im all ears.
This isnt hollywood.
In past times the planes were often landed. Nothing like this had been done before and best practices for the time was to be compliant.
Its easy to be an armchair monday morning 10 years ago quarterback.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Only after they found out what was happening elsewhere in the nation(cell phones for the win). The people on the 2 planes that hit the towers had no clue until they were a fireball.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah. What Fucking Marky Mark doesn't think about is that it's kind of hard to do when they put the fucking plane into a damned nose dive.

The passengers on Flight 93 who resisted were heroes for trying the impossible, and knowing they were going to die for it anyway. In the literal sense of the word. Heroes.

They knew they were going to die. They had heard about the WTC by then. They knew they were dead. They also knew it was going to end their lives even earlier by trying to storm the cockpit.

They got up and did it anyway. KNOWING THEY WERE KILLING THEMSELVES TO SAVE OTHERS.

"Are you guys read? Okay. Let's Roll."

FUCK. THIS SHIT PISSES ME OFF, AGAIN.

FUCK.

Now I have to go work out and train, so I can get this hate out in a productive manner.

Fuck those God damned terrorist pieces of scum.

And fuck Mark Walhberg for dishonoring the memory of those innocent people killed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#31]
So, wait...
Does that mean everyone on this site is cool if they say they would have fought back and tried to land the plane, but Marky Mark is not because he's "Hollywood"?
Or does that mean everyone on this site who says they would have fought back too, is as "retarded" as Marky Mark?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Everyone cleberities,news, hosts,Radio hosts on what they would have done for years and how they would changed things if aboard, so why the uprorars now?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Plays bad ass in movies = he can do anything in real life.

Obviously.

I know right, thats like dumb.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#34]
He's so awesome, and I bet he'd totally be able to pull it off and wouldn't need a stuntman to stand in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So, wait...

Does that mean everyone on this site is cool if they say they would have fought back and tried to land the plane, but Marky Mark is not because he's "Hollywood"?

Or does that mean everyone on this site who says they would have fought back too, is as "retarded" as Marky Mark?

we KNOW the outcome of the flight today.  If i thought i was going to land somewhere with no probs then i would chill out.  If i knew they were gonna kill me ya im gonna try to kill them.

Either way, no matter what....i'm not pissing on the dead that lost their lives that day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The passengers would have fought back too, if they didn't think they were just being ransomed versus being used as a missile.  

This.  It's my understanding that only the fourth flight that crashed in PA had passengers aboard who finally realized what was going on through cell phone calls to their loved ones.

ETA:  What a f&$*ing jackass.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So, wait...

I think what we are saying is;

A) Prior to 9/11, intentionally crashing  the plane was not on a hijackers list of things to do.

B) Mark Wahlberg is a douchebag.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget that the hijackers slit some throats when they first started their takeover. I'm betting most likely they went after men they were afraid that would have taken them on. Also bet if it had little Marky on their, they would have skipped hm while he was shitting on himself.

Yeah, those faggots (who trained in MMA and lifted weights by the way; they weren't the 120 lb weak goat herders we think of when we hear "terrorist".) intentionally slashed the throats of elderly people in the front of the plane in order to intimidate the people they were going to murder.

Quoted:
Marky Mark is actually a tough bastard. He grew up in the "ghetto" dealing with all the shit that comes with that and managed to get lucky and become a Hollywood star. I have no doubt he would have fought the hijackers and probably crash the plane trying to land it, but at least he would have done something. But he still should have kept this to himself and not say it in an interview

Fuck him. I don't give a shit if Mike Tyson was on the plane, nobody knows if he'll fight back unless they were in the position. Saying anything like this is a fucking disgrace.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
it's important to remember that the majority of the populace, prior to 9/11, had been conditioned by dozens of hijackings to "give them what they want."

And this thread proves how well that conditioning worked.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I once landed a F-18 in a older military flight simulator.  Does that count?  I even flew it sideways between two buildings.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So, wait...

Wait, WHAT!  Oh no you dint bring that up!
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So, wait...

My thumbs are deadly weapons just sayin
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Before 911, things like that were unthinkable.  Now everybody has a little game plan. Besides, who would've thought they were gonna crash the plane.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's important to remember that the majority of the populace, prior to 9/11, had been conditioned by dozens of hijackings to "give them what they want."

Give them Marky mark?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No at that point it would have been game over I guess

Whatever, man, I've logged hundreds of hours on MS Flight Simulator.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, wait...

we KNOW the outcome of the flight today.  If i thought i was going to land somewhere with no probs then i would chill out.  If i knew they were gonna kill me ya im gonna try to kill them.

Either way, no matter what....i'm not pissing on the dead that lost their lives that way.
I get that, it's just the duality of ARFCOM confuses me sometimes.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, wait...

My thumbs are deadly weapons just sayin

are they NFA?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.........

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy to say that in hindsight but, it's important to remember that the majority of the populace, prior to 9/11, had been conditioned by dozens of hijackings to "give them what they want." The main reason 9/11 was so effective as a terrorist tactic is that it turned the "known quantities" on their head. Prior to that day hijackings usually ended with the passengers sitting on an airport runway with hijackers negotiating with authorities until everyone went home unharmed.

I grew up in Saudi Arabia and flew on enough international flights to vividly remember that hijackings were not only a real threat but, that they generally ended with most people unharmed.

Now that the terrorists have proven it's dangerous to be docile I doubt you'll ever see another successful hijacking in any country.

Knowing what they knew then, standing down and allowing the situation to take it's course was probably the best thing they could have done for the safety of their children.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do, and I would've fought!

On a separate note, there has been passengers with little to no flying experience safely land jets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top