Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0064403/

Wahlberg lashes out at Heston...
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hindsight is 20/20.  Anybody would have fought knowing what we know now.  He's a douche.

Yes.

Folks seem to forget that up until 9/11; SOP was to land and negotiate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
So, wait...

Does that mean everyone on this site is cool if they say they would have fought back and tried to land the plane, but Marky Mark is not because he's "Hollywood"?

Or does that mean everyone on this site who says they would have fought back too, is as "retarded" as Marky Mark?

we KNOW the outcome of the flight today.  If i thought i was going to land somewhere with no probs then i would chill out.  If i knew they were gonna kill me ya im gonna try to kill them.

Either way, no matter what....i'm not pissing on the dead that lost their lives that way.
I get that, it's just the duality of ARFCOM confuses me sometimes.

Hypocrisy you mean
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Who the Hell does he think he is.....

John Travolta????

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who the Hell does he think he is.....

John Travolta????

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have fought also!

ya, but do you know how to pilot?

i would fight as well....but that is some low shit.

I once landed a F-18 in a older military flight simulator.  Does that count?  I even flew it sideways between two buildings.

Can we plug in an xbox controller into the cockpit?  If so any child can step right up and handle it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
god damn its like being famous is a mental disorder

being an ACTOR seems to be a mental disorder for the majority..famous has nothing to do with it.  Lots of smart famous people, even a few smart actors,,Senisi, Grammer, Selleck, Cann,  etc,,
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, wait...
Does that mean everyone on this site is cool if they say they would have fought back and tried to land the plane, but Marky Mark is not because he's "Hollywood"?
Or does that mean everyone on this site who says they would have fought back too, is as "retarded" as Marky Mark?

I think what we are saying is;

A) Prior to 9/11, intentionally crashing  the plane was not on a hijackers list of things to do.

B) Mark Wahlberg is a douchebag.

Pretty solid summary.

Game's changed. And if you listen to folks in the security business...the very fact that it's changed like it has is THE biggest defense against it happening again. Terrorists have to change their approach now that they know when/if they hijack a plane the plane WILL rise up against them.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Hindsight is 20/20.  Anybody would have fought knowing what we know now.  He's a douche.

This right here. Up until those on Flight 93 KNEW what the hijackers intended to do with the plane, they had incorrectly (but reasonably) assumed that they were hostages, not collateral damage waiting to happen, i.e. inevitable future victims. The other three planes' passengers probably assumed the same things the same way, but learned too late their actual status aboard those aircraft.

Now saying that you would have done something, now knowing that the hijackers were going to kamikaze those planes, when you would not have known that before, is just a retarded statement. Douchebag statement by a douchebag is douchebaggy.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Of course Marky Mark would do that, I mean look at this guy.  He's such a bad bass.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]
He's played in one too many action movies and has obviously lost touch with reality.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Marky Mark is actually a tough bastard. He grew up in the "ghetto" dealing with all the shit that comes with that and managed to get lucky and become a Hollywood star. I have no doubt he would have fought the hijackers and probably crash the plane trying to land it, but at least he would have done something. But he still should have kept this to himself and not say it in an interview

Just because he grew up in the ghetto doesn't mean he's tough.  He could have been a pork chop.  From what I've read about his childhood, he was a douche back then too.  He was more like one of those sideways wearing ball cap kids going around in a big pack jumping people for fun and hatred.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Of course Marky Mark would do that, I mean look at this guy.  He's such a bad bass.

http://indyconcerts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/markymark_autograph.jpg

He looks constipated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He's played in one too many action movies and has obviously lost touch with reality.

in todays reallity,,,  I can see mother theresa trying to claw the eyes out of a hijacker..

on 9/11/2001   and before ?
not so much ,,
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ya, but do you know how to pilot?

i would fight as well....but that is some low shit.

I do, and I would've fought!

On a separate note, there has been passengers with little to no flying experience safely land jets.

Yeah, fuck that, no you wouldn't have. 99.9%+ of the population would likely do exactly what I would have done, and that is to sit in your fucking seat and fucking die.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, wait...

we KNOW the outcome of the flight today.  If i thought i was going to land somewhere with no probs then i would chill out.  If i knew they were gonna kill me ya im gonna try to kill them.

Either way, no matter what....i'm not pissing on the dead that lost their lives that way.
I get that, it's just the duality of ARFCOM confuses me sometimes.

Hypocrisy you mean
If anything contradictory.    Hypocrisy is much too over used, and in the wrong contexts.  In this case, what I see on ARFCOM all the time, is that people will say one thing in one post, and a completely opposite in another, but it's not really hypocritical because in each post, they firmly believe it IMHO without pretense.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#17]

he became a scientologist, didn't he?

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marky Mark is actually a tough bastard. He grew up in the "ghetto" dealing with all the shit that comes with that and managed to get lucky and become a Hollywood star. I have no doubt he would have fought the hijackers and probably crash the plane trying to land it, but at least he would have done something. But he still should have kept this to himself and not say it in an interview

Just because he grew up in the ghetto doesn't mean he's tough.  He could have been a pork chop.  From what I've read about his childhood, he was a douche back then too.  He was more like one of those sideways wearing ball cap kids going around in a big pack jumping people for fun and hatred.

Hard to say what someone is going to do until they actually are in that situation, but it sounds like he has already made up his mind about what he would do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's important to remember that the majority of the populace, prior to 9/11, had been conditioned by dozens of hijackings to "give them what they want."

And this thread proves how well that conditioning worked.  

I don't understand the point you're attempting to make with this comment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I would have fought as well. A lot of bad things in this country happen because people cower instead of standing up. Landing the plane... That would be the tricky part.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I think people are yet again trying to find a reason to be offended.  The terrorists we knew in the past had guns and bombs these guys took over a plane with a fucking box cutters.  There is no reason they couldn't be overpowerd.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That about sums it up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I think he might have been practicing for a role in his new blockbuster movie. " Tier 1 Douche Bag "
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Didn't he murder someone back in the early 90's? Dude's always been an assfaced punk
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Celebrities are legends in their minds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do they have booster seats in the cockpits of commercial airliners?

Yes, and the cockpit door is large enough to get pilot's ego through.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's important to remember that the majority of the populace, prior to 9/11, had been conditioned by dozens of hijackings to "give them what they want."

And this thread proves how well that conditioning worked.  

I don't understand the point you're attempting to make with this comment.

I don't either.  It wasn't conditioning, it was the right thing to do.  Before 9/11 almost every hijack case was a ransom situation.  The right thing to do was to play along until the plane was safely on the ground and you could make a move.  First and foremost the plan was to get the plane on the ground safely and then go from there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think people are yet again trying to find a reason to be offended.  The terrorists we knew in the past had guns and bombs these guys took over a plane with a fucking box cutters.  There is no reason they couldn't be overpowerd.

Could and would are completely different things.  I have serious doubts that anyone on this board would have fought if they were on any flight other than United 93, simply because at the time, hijackings were non fatal.  Trying to fight the hijackers in the air is dangerous and could result in you directly causing the deaths of hundreds of people.  Waiting for them to land, as every other hijacked flight as done, is much safer and allows for reinforcements.  Claiming that you would fight is blowhard nonsense.

Changing the topic a bit, but I never understood how folks on U93 received phone calls.  They want you to turn off your phone while in flight.  Did someone switch it on after the hijacking took place and happen to get a call or what?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Before 911, things like that were unthinkable.  Now everybody has a little game plan. Besides, who would've thought they were gonna crash the plane.

Disagree about it being unthinkable.  Plenty of people thought about it, some wrote books about airliners being used as missiles.  Aircraft have been used as missiles before, roughly a lifetime before 2001.
It just wasn't doctrine.

That's a bit disingenuous. Just because fiction stories and tin-foil "documentaries" said it was a possibility, doesn't mean anyone, on any of those flights had the slightest inkling (because it was unthinkable) that they would be sacrificed/murdered in a terrorist action that would lead to the death of thousands.

I make that statement as someone who spent 8 years in a Muslim country, as an outsider, and who was VERY aware of the fact that hijackings were a "cost of doing business" if you were going to travel by plane around the Middle East in the seventies and eighties. Between the PLO and the Libyans amongst others, terrorism was very much a daily fact of life over there. I never heard ANYONE suggest that fighting back was a sane and rational course of action. Mostly because it was WIDELY viewed as unnecessary based on the history of events.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#31]
duh! He would have just refused to go on-camera until the script writer re-wrote the scene to have him save the day. All he would have needed were a couple stunt doubles, a fight-coach to rehearse the moves and an aviation technical advisor to give him some buzz words to say while he landed the plnae safely on the National Mall. Celeberties, is there anything they can't do
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could and would are completely different things.  I have serious doubts that anyone on this board would have fought if they were on any flight other than United 93, simply because at the time, hijackings were non fatal.  Trying to fight the hijackers in the air is dangerous and could result in you directly causing the deaths of hundreds of people.  Waiting for them to land, as every other hijacked flight as done, is much safer and allows for reinforcements.  Claiming that you would fight is blowhard nonsense.

Changing the topic a bit, but I never understood how folks on U93 received phone calls.  They want you to turn off your phone while in flight.  Did someone switch it on after the hijacking took place and happen to get a call or what?

At the risk of sounding like an internet blowhard; if my plane is hijacked, the FAA rules against electronic devices while in transit in an airplane can suck a fart out of my ass hole. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Hmmm, not seeing what he said wrong.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
TL: DR he said he would have done what they didn't and fight and land the plane.......phew.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/01/18/0118-mark-wahlberg-bn-01.jpg

Mark Wahlberg "I Would Have Fought 9/11 Hijackers & Landed Plane"

Mark Wahlberg claims he could have done what hundreds of other doomed passengers couldn't ... fought off the multiple 9/11 terrorists and saved one of the hijacked planes.

Wahlberg just gave an interview with Men's Journal ... in which he states, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'"

So the question ... is Wahlberg's braggadocio insulting to the dead passengers and their families?

––––––––––––––––––––––––-

TMZ spoke with Deena Burnett-Bailey –– whose husband Thomas Burnett phoned her from that fateful flight saying, "I know we're going to die. There's three of us who are going to do something about it."

Burnett-Bailey tells us, "Does Mark Wahlberg have a pilot's license? Then I think hindsight is 20/20 and it's insignificant to say what you would have done if you weren't there. "

She adds, "The plan for Flight 93 was foiled by heroes. For him to speculate that his presence on board could have stopped everything is silly and disrespectful.  Sounds like someone is grandstanding."

We called Wahlberg for comment –– so far, no word back.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/18/911-widow-mark-wahlberg-disrespectful/#.TxcWifmJ1kw

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/18/mark-wahlberg-911-flight-93-hijackers-fight/#.TxcW4PmJ1kw

i'm an asshole my self...but WOW....

Asshole is right, here's all I need to know about this guy.

As a teenager, Wahlberg participated in several acts of violence for which he was charged, later claiming to have been in trouble 20-25 times with the Boston Police Department as a youth.[4] At 15 he harassed a group of African American school children on a field trip by throwing rocks (causing injuries) and shouting racist epithets.[5] When he was 16, while under the influence of cocaine and alcohol (again using racist language) he knocked a middle aged Vietnamese man unconscious with a wooden stick and left another Vietnamese man permanently blind in one eye. In an interview for Inside the Actor's Studio, he admitted that he has no recollections of the incident, because he passed out just before the police caught him. For these crimes Wahlberg was charged for attempted murder, pled guilty to assault, and spent 45 days in jail at Boston's Deer Island House of Correction.[6][7] In yet another incident when he was 21 Wahlberg fractured the jaw of a neighbor in an unprovoked attack.

"Actor Mark Wahlberg Assaulted Vietnamese Americans in Hate Crime,"

Criminal Complaint, In the Suffolk County Superior Court, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1988

At approximately 9:00 p.m. on April 8, 1988 Thanh Lam, a Vietnamese adult male who resides in Dorchester, traveled by car to 998 Dorchester Avenue, Dorchester, Massachusetts. At 998 Dorchester Avenue, Thanh Lam left his car carrying two cases of beer. As he crossed the sidewalk, Mark Wahlberg attacked Thanh Lam. Wahlberg was carrying a large wooden stick, approximately five feet long and two to three inches in diameter. Wahlberg approached Thanh Lam calling him a "Vietnam fu-king $hit," then hit him over the head with the stick. Thanh Lam was knocked to the ground unconscious. Th[e] stick broke in two and was later recovered from the scene. Thanh Lam was treated overnight at Boston City Hospital.

After police arrested Wahlberg later on the night of April 8, 1988, Wahlberg was informed of his rights and returned to the scene of 998 Dorchester Avenue. In the presence of two police officers, he stated: "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the mother-fu-ker who's head I split open," or words to that effect.

As a police officer arrived at the scene of 998 Dorchester Avenue, Wahlberg and two other youths who were with him fled up Dorchester Avenue toward Pearl Street .

Shortly after 9:00 p.m. on April 8, 1988, Hoa Trinh, an adult Vietnamese male who resides in Dorchester, was standing several blocks away from 998 Dorchester Avenue, near the corner of Dorchester Avenue and Pearl Street. Hoa Trinh was not aware of the altercation outside of 998 Dorchester Avenue.

Wahlberg ran up to Hoa Trinh, put his arm around Hoa Trinh's shoulder, and said: "Police coming, police coming, let me hide." After a police cruiser passed, Wahlberg punched Trinh in the eye, causing him to fall to the ground.

Police arrived and Hoa Trinh identified Wahlberg as the person who punched him. Wahlberg was placed under arrest and read his rights. Thereafter he made numerous unsolicited racial statements about "g@@ks" and "slant-eyed g@@ks." After being returned to 998 Dorchester Avenue, Wahlberg identified Thanh Lam as the person he hit over the head with a stick.

Trinh lost one of his "slanted" eyes due to the attack. Wahlberg plead guilty to two counts of criminal contempt, was sentenced to two years imprisonment, and was released after 45 days.

Although Wahlberg describes his incarceration as a "turning point" in his life, to this day he continues to deny that race played a role in either attack.

Yeah he's a real class act and I'm not surprised he's all for banning firearms.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the risk of sounding like an internet blowhard; if my plane is hijacked, the FAA rules against electronic devices while in transit in an airplane can suck a fart out of my ass hole. Just sayin'

Not blowhardish at all.  Obviously someone had to have switched on their phone.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Knowing what we all know now, there is not a man on the site that wouldn't.

Before 9/11, hijackings were pretty boring, no one really got hurt (for the most part, but there are some very notable exceptions), so why fight back?

Hindsight, blah blah

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#39]
He prolly would have curled up on the deck and cried like a little pussy.

Easy to be a tough guy when you play one on TV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#40]
This is not something to get mad about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Bruce Dickinson would have landed the plane.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is not something to get mad about.

This is GD, righteous indignation is a way of life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#43]
ROIDS
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do they have booster seats in the cockpits of commercial airliners?

Pilots are short as a general rule.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd want to do the same thing .......

Then again hindsight is always 20/20.

The passengers at the time did not know what was happening to them or that their flight would have been destined for it's tragic fate.

I wonder if his comment has been taken out of context or he is living in fantasy land.

One thing is for certain, anyone who tries to hijack a plane now is going to get the shit kicked out of them and be torn limb from limb the second they try anything.

I dare say that 9/11 helped make the prospect of a successful hijacking so remote that it would not be worth trying now.

I wonder how long that will last.  In 30 years, will passengers feel the same way, especially if hijackers immediately make their intention (whether real or not) or landing in Mexico/Cuba/whereever?
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Knowing what we all know now, there is not a man on the site that wouldn't.

Before 9/11, hijackings were pretty boring, no one really got hurt, so why fight back?

Hindsight, blah blah

Exactly! The last hijacking fatality on a US passenger plane prior to 9/11 was 1987. Passengers would not fight back because they thought if they cooperated everything would be OK and they simply would be inconvenienced by the event.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My best friend in the world called me an hour after the planes hit and said why did they not fight?

This guy and I have taken on some really bad situations when we were young, stuff i'm surprised we survived.

I have no idea what would have happened but the second they slit a stewardesses throat it would have been game on to the fucking death.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top