Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Non war injuries-

1.dumbass FNG - released the emergency brake on te humvee while I was changing the turn signal bulb rear driver side.  I got crushed betwee two humvees when the one rolled back luckily I stood up and didn't get my head caught ––dislocated shoulder and brusied ribs.  The FNG was so scared he ran off to get help leaving me between the two humvees I had to push the truck up the hill enough to slide out and layed down next to the trucks, sure I was going to die from internal bleeding.  I then decided I was going to kill the FNG first.  

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Injuries and wounds. I don't mind talking about them but the way the OP asked was kind of strange.

I was hit by 8 or so pieces of shrapnel in my left foot and leg from a grenade. I still have some shrapnel in my leg and I still have pain.
The vehicle I was in was hit by a couple IEDs and I had a couple rockets land close to me that gave me minor concusions. I have TBI symptoms including chronic daily headaches/migraines and tinnitus.
Carrying so much weight has given me back problems.
The fumes and smoke have probably caused the asthma I have.
There may be other undiagnosed problems.

I am thankful that I am still able to walk 100% and don't have any other physical disabilites. However, most days are bad and it is very stressful. Luckily I have a great wife and have a job that lets me take time off.
Dustin
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Friend of mine from high school was hit in the face by an enemy sniper.

Entered one cheek, through his jaw bone, and out the other cheek.  Damaged his hearing quite a bit.

It amazes me every time i see him, you can't tell he was ever hit(besides the hearing aids).  There are really no noticeable scars on his face from either the entry or the exit wounds.

I'm unsure if they found the sniper or not.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
My back hurts everyday from gunning in a Maxxpro MRAP. The truck feels like a dream when your driving it, but if your up top its like riding one of those mechanical bulls or being punched in the lower back for 8-12 hours straight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't hear crap outta my right ear due to a C-RAM.

Also my lungs are fucked due to the 82nd burning scopeshield (prc 139) batteries. Thanks screaming chicken dickheads.No scars or missing limbs from an ied or round, thank god.

ETA:  never been in a "fire fight".  Never claimed to have been nor would want to.  You might want to re word or just plain delete this thread though.  Has the potential to rub vets the wrong way... jmho.  We can be a sensitive bunch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Since when is the 82nd referred to as "Screaming chickens?"  

Confusing it with the 101st?

Yup, sorry fellas.  101st it was.  Don't blame me, blame my Chair Farce ignorance.  USAF SF care little 'bout anyone but ourselves.

No disrespect intended (except the dickheads who burned those batteries upwind from my DFP)

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iraq 2007: I was hit by a grenade dropped off a building while I was up in the turret.  It airbursted about 10 feet in front of me and my M240 took some of it, I took the rest.

Iraq 2007:  Had an IED go off in between my vehicle and the one in front of us while I was gunning, knocking me unconscious

Afghanistan 2010:  Had an IED go off about 8 feet in front of me, messing up my left ear and giving me positional vertigo for several weeks.

Wow. I remember when you enlisted. (If you're the same guy from Gunsnet.)

Yep, thats me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of  thread is this?

I don't like it.

OP is pretty fucked up isn't he...

Yep. I mean if he really wanted to know he would run on down to the cloest Army Recurting Station and say I want to be Airborne or at the very least a Marine.

Won't happen as he lost the map with directions out of mommys basement.

i want to know what its like to do many things, but that does not mean i will go out and do them. so asking others who have is the most logical way to learn.
jesus christ some of you guys are wound up way too tight. dont like the OP's question, dont answer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Yep. I mean if he really wanted to know he would run on down to the cloest Army Recurting Station and say I want to be Airborne or at the very least a Marine.

Yes, because being airborne or a Marine are the defining criteria to see combat.  

Edit: false info

Thanks yet again for your immeasurable insight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm gonna preface this post with this: I've never served.  I am unbelievably grateful for those who have, and have several members of my family who have done so.  I  know some of the risks you and while I can't imagine what you go through day to day, I appreciate your willingness to risk your lives for your country.

That said:  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
OP is a dick

Quoted:
Civilians

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure we have vets here who have suffered injuries during war.  What kind of injuries if you dont mind me asking?

Could be anything from slipping in the porta john and spraining your ankle to loss of limb or worse.  I'd love to hear your stories.

Are you fucking serious?  Are you 12?  Want to know how many people I killed too?

Quoted:
What the fuck is wrong with you OP?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Why the fuck is everyone so butt hurt?  If you don't want to answer, then don't.  The man just asked for information.

This. OP, take notes on who the fucking indignant nancy-asses are in this thread so that you don't offend them with your curiosity in the future. It was a simple question for fucks sake.

Says the fucking guy that has his avatar picture that appears to be him getting fuck\ing fucked up in a car with women.  Men lost their lives and had serious injurious while you were having a blast.  That might much to take for some.  Twat.

Quoted:
My biggest injuries are mental that have to do with douche bags asking about them online.  

Yup OP, you fucking suck.

Wow.  I've never seen a chain of immature pissy responses like that.  It's a question.  If you don't wanna answer, don't.  But for God's sake stop acting like it's some sacred egg of warfare that people aren't gonna ask about it.  Do you get super offended when the TV asks if you have feminine itch? No, because you can ignore it if you want.  It's a mass broadcast, kinda like this post was.  

BTW.  Tip: If someone knows you deployed, you might get asked in the future about some wounds you received.  I know, it seems earth-shattering, but fight the urge to jump down their throats for asking a simple question.  It might be your first reaction to try to knock them out, but please don't.  If that's a question that just isn't asked between members of the Armed Forces, here's another tip: we civvies don't know that.  If we see a scar, we might ask.  

Lots of internet tough guyism and jumping on the indignant bandwagon.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure we have vets here who have suffered injuries during war.  What kind of injuries if you dont mind me asking?

Could be anything from slipping in the porta john and spraining your ankle to loss of limb or worse.  I'd love to hear your stories.

What. The. Fuck?????????

I nominate this for the Dumbest Thread of the Year - 2011.
Sorry... got a little hostile.  

<––Not willing to talk about personal issues... especially in friggen GD for cryin' out loud.
-SS

ETA:  Google the two names that I have in my Sig-line if you want to know some sad stories.

Atleast you let cooler heads prevail.

OP, I hope you find what you're looking for in this thread before too many people get offended over an honest question.

You have no idea what you're talking about...
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Civilians

What the Hell were you ? before YOU joined the military ?
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never had problem when asked that question, and usually by a non vet.   Usually my answer is "I zigged instead of zagging".     But I do just shake my head when asked the "how many people did you kill"...
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civilians

What the Hell were you ? before YOU joined the military ?

I was an Otter....
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some of you guys are like hypersensitive girls.  I don't get it.  If you don't wanna talk about it, then don't post in here.
Maybe it's not the best question in person, but on a forum you clearly have the option of answering or not.

Anyway.  Mine is dumb and semi-embarrassing, and not completely induced by the enemy, but whatever.  Was gunning a maxx pro at the beginning of our deployment on a movement that was supposed to be 2 days.  It ended up taking us almost two weeks because we got blown up so many fuckin' times.  When it was all said and done, we (route clearance and my one platoon) had been blown up about 25 times, and they could only find 4 IEDS without using one of our trucks to see if they worked.  A lot of people got hurt on that trip, and it fucked us for the rest of the deployment because we lost the majority of our vehicles.

Right around the 15th boom or so, it was my turn.  It tossed me around and dazed me a little.  My elbow slammed into my rifle and broke the quad rail.  Once I realized what had happened, I looked around and realized the truck was already engulfed in flames.  Damn that happened quick.  The blast disabled the fire suppression system and fucked up the hydraulic system for all the doors, ( ) so we're all yelling trying to find out if anyone is hurt, and then we start climbing out of the turret.  We take down the .50 and throw it off the truck before it burns up, grab some ammo and throw that down, a couple assault packs, etc.  Then I go to jump off the fucking truck.

Mind you, maxx pros are like 12 fucking feet tall.  So I jumped off the goddamn thing with body armor on, and POP, there goes my ACL.  Ripped it off the bone at the tibia, and broke a little piece of bone off.  Fuck that hurt.  Didn't realize what I had done, and I finished out the deployment, and it just fucked it up worse.  I just had surgery 3 months ago, and it looks like I'm gonna need two more according to the doc.  Bummer.

So there's my story, and it's the worst I've got.  I got peppered with dirt and rocks from an RPG that hit in front of the truck, but nothing more than a couple welts on my neck that went away in a couple days.  I'm halfway deaf and my my ears ring like a mofo, but so do everybody else's.

Sounds like a lot of injuries are just from all the stuff (weight) you guys have to carry around all the time.

Thank you for the story.  And thank you for your service.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Since when do AD bubbas have an affinity for airborne?
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes, because being airborne or a Marine are the defining criteria to see combat.  

Edit: false info

Thanks yet again for your immeasurable insight.

Have fun in Afghanistan, I've got Global Response Force covered...you know...just in case we need to seize a Taliban airfield or something.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

15 months in Afghanistan left me with some kind of psychological trauma; I'm not sure of the exact name for it but for the longest time after I got back to the states I had an overwhelming urge to find and purchase a Toyota Hilux.

Seriously though, nothing besides a sprained ankle. Did anyone here see a situation where a person avoided significant injury because of their groin protector? I wore eye protection religiously but the groin and deltoid flaps seemed worthless and I dropped them whenever possible.

We had a .50 go off OOB, the round went down the barrel, apparently, but the casing shot out of the gun backwards (somehow) and cut the gunners codpiece for about 4in, made him suck wind for a minute.  It probably wouldn't have done serious injury without the codpiece . . . but he didn't want to know.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've got a PHM but I'm fully recovered, so I don't even really feel as if I was wounded at all.  The same day I got my medal another soldier was killed (as in dead forever) that makes me want to not acknowledge my own small sacrifice.  A couple of days before that one of our soldiers from Maine was struck laterally in the hip by a EFP projectile.  Crushed his pelvic bones, fucked up his intestines and lots of other stuff.  He was 19 and gets to gimp around forever instead of running or hiking, plus he doesn't have to buy TP anymore since he conveniently gets to shit in a bag, oh the best part is he gets to "disregard females" 'cause his junk will never work again.  My gunner in Iraq was a fireman, but now he's not, because his neck and back are way too fucked from two different IED wounds to do physical work.  I have several friends who had crushed lower leg an foot injuries from IED blasts while seated in MRAPs, the recovery pipeline for that is years.  I've been on a couple of missions where there were traumatic amputations from blasts.  Thats lots more entertaining than a regular amputation.  

I have more, but thats a good start for a nice entertaining thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#18]
well, I got one hell of an infected to in basic, damn Doc, ripped it our without a shot

The rest?  no matter they were mere scratches........Im still here, others are partially still here, others not so much, but guess what ? We got the same purple pot metal prize..

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm gonna preface this post with this: I've never served.  I am unbelievably grateful for those who have, and have several members of my family who have done so.  I  know some of the risks you and while I can't imagine what you go through day to day, I appreciate your willingness to risk your lives for your country.

That said:  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
OP is a dick

Quoted:
Civilians

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you fucking serious?  Are you 12?  Want to know how many people I killed too?

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Why the fuck is everyone so butt hurt?  If you don't want to answer, then don't.  The man just asked for information.

This. OP, take notes on who the fucking indignant nancy-asses are in this thread so that you don't offend them with your curiosity in the future. It was a simple question for fucks sake.

Says the fucking guy that has his avatar picture that appears to be him getting fuck\ing fucked up in a car with women.  Men lost their lives and had serious injurious while you were having a blast.  That might much to take for some.  Twat.

Quoted:
My biggest injuries are mental that have to do with douche bags asking about them online.  

Wow.  I've never seen a chain of immature pissy responses like that.  It's a question.  If you don't wanna answer, don't.  But for God's sake stop acting like it's some sacred egg of warfare that people aren't gonna ask about it.  Do you get super offended when the TV asks if you have feminine itch? No, because you can ignore it if you want.  It's a mass broadcast, kinda like this post was.  

BTW.  Tip: If someone knows you deployed, you might get asked in the future about some wounds you received.  I know, it seems earth-shattering, but fight the urge to jump down their throats for asking a simple question.  It might be your first reaction to try to knock them out, but please don't.  If that's a question that just isn't asked between members of the Armed Forces, here's another tip: we civvies don't know that.  If we see a scar, we might ask.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

What. The. Fuck?????????

<––Not willing to talk about personal issues... especially in friggen GD for cryin' out loud.
-SS

ETA:  Google the two names that I have in my Sig-line if you want to know some sad stories.

OP, I hope you find what you're looking for in this thread before too many people get offended over an honest question.

Enlighten me.  Seems to be plenty of vets in here answering the question and not calling OP a dick about it.  Are they just fucked in the head?
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#20]

I dont have a cool guy story or nothing, was in the gun hatch of my M1114 running down RTE Irish 0100hrs 2004, big explosion, saw flames all around me, got real hot....and I woke up at the 31st CASH in Baghdad..had a nice tan on 3/4 of my face, most of my hair and eyebrows gone, couple small sharpnel wounds, and no other memory of it, was out 30minutes at most..not a big deal or nothing....had a friend get his arm severed from an IED, they reattached it though, now he was wounded, me not so much.

I always wanted to ask my gramps how he got all his scars, but I was always to scared to ask him...gram told me he had nightmares from WW2 till he died in 1975. Maybe asking him about it may have helped, will never know....doesnt bother me for people to ask, just some shit that happened to me in life, no biggie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The extent of my scarring is a burn mark on my back from hot brass going down between my bare skin and flak. I don't count.

I've seen guys get Purple Hearts and have half their face gone.
I've seen guys with Purple Hearts from mild concussions.

I don't envy either, and I'm glad I got out of the sandbox without one.

ETA: To the vets on here that are telling OP to STFU and go pound sand, I see you're doing quite a nice job on cultivating an us vs. them mentality. Classy. Don't want to talk about it? Don't post.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I'll give you a few

Apr 2003 (Iraq) large explosion, 2 pieces of shrapnel.  Blew part of my deltoid out of my left shoulder, nicked my corroded artery.  Fortunately the shrapnel cauterized wounds. The Comabt Support Hospital was the worst part of the experince.

Jan 2005 (Iraq) Bell rung from a 122mm rocket detonating near my checkpoint in Baghdad during the elctions

Apr 2005:  Ambush in the al-Muthanna Bridge traffic circle in Baghdad.  I'm driving the lead HumVee, my gunner retunrs fire and have brass and links raining down on me.  Trying remove hot brass and drive at the same time

Spring 2005 (Iraq): 120 mm mortar attack in Habiniyah welts from rocks

Summer 2005:  VBIED in Northern Iraq, Bell rung

Winter 2005: 122mmm shell IED Humvee totaled, Bell rung, door flew open and closed, nailing my right knee in the process (that hurt)
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Met a ww2 vet who pointed out the multiple scars in his hands arms and pointed to some on his back. He said he got shot up and wounded so bad their is about a week worth of memories he's missing. Best he can recall he was wounded (shrapnel, bullets), got picked up by the germans, they pulled out and left him behind. He "comes to" some days later starts walking down the road and runs into members from his unit who assumed he was dead. He was a member of the 101st jumped same time as the  the b.o.b same co and everything.

If vets want to share their stories they will no need to harp on the op.

Thats my thought as well-I've got a great uncle who was in Korea and he showed me his messed up knee where he got shot by some dirty chicom and had to low crawl back to the aid station (he never told me or anyone that he grabbed another wounded soldier as he was crawling back though-found out about that at his funeral)

As for me, I've got a nice scar on my hand from when our humvee got t-boned by a kia going 75.  It was really something, I was on a 240B pintle mount that was jerry rigged in the back seat of a soft top hummer w/ steel plate welded across the back (very clampettesque) I threw my left arm over the plate to brace myself for impact and ended up on my head behind the TC seat... snapped off the grip of the 240, the belt of ammo that was hangin in the gun had wrapped around my leg and snapped off, leaving an awesome bruise on my calf and I had sliced my hand to the bone.  I've got some pics if anyone knows how to post them.  

It was wicked-I didnt' know if it was a VBIED that failed to detonate or what, so I kinda staggered over to the car (still had my OIC's M9 in my left hand) tried to point it at the driver but he was crawling out of the car, I realized that the dude wasn't chained to the seat and taht there was a passenger (clues one and two that it probably wasn't a VBIED)  through various physical gestures and gratuitous use of the F-word, I got the two guys over to teh curb and tried to light up a cigerette and had to sit down myself as i was shakin like a crack baby.

8 or 9 stitches later I was good to go...

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Could be anything from slipping in the porta john and spraining your ankle...

How about a tale about injuries sustained in a fall due to over consumption of alcohol?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I
That said:  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
OP is a dick

Quoted:
Civilians

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What. The. Fuck?????????

-SS

Enlighten me.  Seems to be plenty of vets in here answering the question and not calling OP a dick about it.  Are they just fucked in the head?

If you're ever through San Antone, I'll buy you a beer and try too..
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#26]
If you don't like the question, don't answer. I bet the people most offended were never even in combat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If you don't like the question, don't answer. I bet the people most offended were never even in combat.

You would lose the hell out of that bet.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I
That said:  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
OP is a dick

Quoted:
Civilians

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What. The. Fuck?????????

-SS

How about I buy YOU a beer and you can enlighten me?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]
well lets see.. no combat..
finished basic with a fractured foot.
I fell off the top of the tool truck a few times.

only lasting damage is this damn ringing in my ears. Too many M1A1 power pack ground tests. ear plugs and muffs and im still hard of hearing..
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Should we take up a pool and call him on his bullshit?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I
That said:  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
OP is a dick

Quoted:
Civilians

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What. The. Fuck?????????

-SS

Sure, when will you be through?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some of you guys are like hypersensitive girls.  I don't get it.  If you don't wanna talk about it, then don't post in here.
Maybe it's not the best question in person, but on a forum you clearly have the option of answering or not.

Anyway.  Mine is dumb and semi-embarrassing, and not completely induced by the enemy, but whatever.  Was gunning a maxx pro at the beginning of our deployment on a movement that was supposed to be 2 days.  It ended up taking us almost two weeks because we got blown up so many fuckin' times.  When it was all said and done, we (route clearance and my one platoon) had been blown up about 25 times, and they could only find 4 IEDS without using one of our trucks to see if they worked.  A lot of people got hurt on that trip, and it fucked us for the rest of the deployment because we lost the majority of our vehicles.

Right around the 15th boom or so, it was my turn.  It tossed me around and dazed me a little.  My elbow slammed into my rifle and broke the quad rail.  Once I realized what had happened, I looked around and realized the truck was already engulfed in flames.  Damn that happened quick.  The blast disabled the fire suppression system and fucked up the hydraulic system for all the doors, ( ) so we're all yelling trying to find out if anyone is hurt, and then we start climbing out of the turret.  We take down the .50 and throw it off the truck before it burns up, grab some ammo and throw that down, a couple assault packs, etc.  Then I go to jump off the fucking truck.

Mind you, maxx pros are like 12 fucking feet tall.  So I jumped off the goddamn thing with body armor on, and POP, there goes my ACL.  Ripped it off the bone at the tibia, and broke a little piece of bone off.  Fuck that hurt.  Didn't realize what I had done, and I finished out the deployment, and it just fucked it up worse.  I just had surgery 3 months ago, and it looks like I'm gonna need two more according to the doc.  Bummer.

So there's my story, and it's the worst I've got.  I got peppered with dirt and rocks from an RPG that hit in front of the truck, but nothing more than a couple welts on my neck that went away in a couple days.  I'm halfway deaf and my my ears ring like a mofo, but so do everybody else's.

Dude that whole ACL injury made me queezy, Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

What ya doing this weekend?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

What ya doing this weekend?  

Jesus, when did this turn into craigslist?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Should we take up a pool and call him on his bullshit?

I  answered the OP because he asked "MY" injuries not "tell us who you saw get hurt." I saw stuff I will not expalin here, or in person unless I know you very well, and deem you worthy.  They are not th stories of MY injuries.    My goal was to come home with 10 fingers & 10 toes and get the guys in my squad home the same way. In that I failed . When you are part of a 100 man outfit that moved 100,000 tons of explosive stuff out of a city where poeple occassionlly shoot at you, shit happens.

The OP's question was fine as  as it sticks to My personal shit.  I have explained where my line is above.  Each of us must draw the line somewhere.

As far as combat goes I never fired a shot. As expalined previously I did not need to my Infantry was on the ball.  I chased looters, cleared buildings, went on patrols, got shot at, got mortared, got IED'ed....ect ect.

If you did not go over there you do not get to define what combat is. I won't shirk the poor airforce bastards that got laid every night at BIAP way behind the wire one bit.  There were nights they got the shit mortared out of them, and weeks a mortar hit every few hours.  Were they in "combat" damn right they were.  They did thier job under fire.  Shit working in that heat alone is enough to get my respect.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Sad day when you are offended buy a question asked on the internet not directed an any particular individual. Thanks to all the real vets out there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sad day when you are offended buy a question asked on the internet not directed an any particular individual. Thanks to all the real vets out there.

eta- why don't you tell us about your wounds?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Could be a while

No disrespect intended, I just think it's overkill to call OP names over a simple question that could just as easily be ignored.  Thank you for your service, too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Also my lungs are fucked due to the 82nd burning scopeshield (prc 139) batteries.  Thanks screaming chicken dickheads.

No scars or missing limbs from an ied or round, thank god.

ETA:  never been in a "fire fight".  Never claimed to have been nor would want to.  You might want to re word or just plain delete this thread though.  Has the potential to rub vets the wrong way... jmho.  We can be a sensitive bunch.

Screamin' chicken would be the 101st, not the eighty deuce...

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#40]
No combat wounds to talk about. Would you prefer I made some up?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

nevermind
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Also my lungs are fucked due to the 82nd burning scopeshield (prc 139) batteries.  Thanks screaming chicken dickheads.

No scars or missing limbs from an ied or round, thank god.

Did you just call the 82nd "screaming chicken dickheads"?

Because that's the 101st.  

Injuries I had were all extremely minor. Cuts on my arms from climbing over walls and things, twisted knees from falling on the other side, stuff like that. I have a barely noticeable scar on my left hand which I don't know what exactly it came from, but it happened during a TIC after an RPG attack. After everything settled down I noticed the blood dripping, but I just cleaned it up with a 4x4 and taped a 2x2 on top of it, and that was that. I don't know what exactly happened, but whatever. That's the extent of my injuries. I'm not going to talk about other guys in my company though, because I don't want to put their business on the internets.

Super serious combat story, I know.

Oh, there's also the fun CH-47 crash that's my avatar, but that crashed because God hates helicopters, not because of combat.

Quoted:
15 months in Afghanistan left me with some kind of psychological trauma; I'm not sure of the exact name for it but for the longest time after I got back to the states I had an overwhelming urge to find and purchase a Toyota Hilux.

Seriously though, nothing besides a sprained ankle. Did anyone here see a situation where a person avoided significant injury because of their groin protector? I wore eye protection religiously but the groin and deltoid flaps seemed worthless and I dropped them whenever possible.

The what-nows? Oh, you mean all that junk that comes with the IOTV that I put in the bottom of my foot locker and left it there? I literally only wore the vest, the soft armor in the vest, and the front and rear plates.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#43]
We had a guy saved by his throat protector.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think the most common phrase told to me on patrols was "Put your god damn helmet on, doc."

I don't like armor, and never chose to wear anything but the bare minimum. If I get hit, I get hit. I know it's the wrong answer, but seriously, fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link not working on my phone...tac45, step inside..  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_130/1223035_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the most common phrase told to me on patrols was "Put your god damn helmet on, doc."

I don't like armor, and never chose to wear anything but the bare minimum. If I get hit, I get hit. I know it's the wrong answer, but seriously, fuck that noise.

IMO you could what if it all day.

The "wear your nape/neck/back/ball/etc protector, it's only 1lb" attitude is the reason why my equipment weighs 75lb dry.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The "wear your nape/neck/back/ball/etc protector, it's only 1lb" attitude is the reason why my equipment weighs 75lb dry.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was there (05-06) the cock plate was the least worn article of armor. Doesn't make tons of sense, 'cause that's the one thing I would want some real armor on, with bombs going off on a regular basis. Still never wore it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Worst I got was tinnitus from IED blasts. I got off much easier than some of the Marines I was with at the time. The man upstairs was definitely watching out for me on several occasions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True.

I used mine to cough into.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

I used mine to cough into.

I coughed/sneezed into my throat protector, and sprayed the inside with COpe. It stank for WEEKS!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top