Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
We had a guy saved by his throat protector.

I think the most common phrase told to me on patrols was "Put your god damn helmet on, doc."

I don't like armor, and never chose to wear anything but the bare minimum. If I get hit, I get hit. I know it's the wrong answer, but seriously, fuck that noise.

IMO you could what if it all day.

The "wear your nape/neck/back/ball/etc protector, it's only 1lb" attitude is the reason why my equipment weighs 75lb dry.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was there (05-06) the cock plate was the least worn article of armor. Doesn't make tons of sense, 'cause that's the one thing I would want some real armor on, with bombs going off on a regular basis. Still never wore it.

As strange sd it sounds, I don't recall seeing any injuries to the junk....I'm talking guys burnt head to toe
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Almost twenty five years later and I have ruined joints from jumping out of airplanes and a few scars.
Still can't get disability for the ruined joints.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
When I still lived with my parents, there was a Vietnam vet a few houses over.

He received a Purple Heart, and told me about it. I don't remember if it was shrapnel or a bullet, but he got hit in the neck. I cringe thinking about all the important things that could have got severed, but he's fine and you would never know.

As for me, I had to wait a couple weeks for the elusive size 13 Wide steel-toe boots to arrive at my base.

I got them, and proceeded to immediately test them by "catching" one of those 5-foot Aviator's Oxygen bottles with my toes while sliding it out of the bed of our shop's pickup truck.

Injury avoided!

Edit: Also wanted to add, I went to college with an infantry soldier, who had back problems from all the crap he had to carry.

That sucks. I haven't seen him in a couple years and I hope he's doing OK.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Don't know if this counts as war but during a convoy in Afghanistan my driver rear-ended another vehicle, and I as the TC in the passenger seat tried my DAMNDEST to go through the armored windshield of my vehicle.

Fuckin' hurt! And now my neck sounds like popcorn. The end.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What kind of  thread is this?

I don't like it.

this....

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My BIL took a mortar to the leg while in Iraq. It killed one of the guys he was with and wounded another.

I think he would be OK with me telling this since he likes to wear a tee shirt that says " I GOT MY LEG BLOWN OF IN IRAQ"

They tried to get it repaired the best they could but he ended up having to get it amputated below the knee.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can't hear crap outta my right ear due to a C-RAM.

Also my lungs are fucked due to the 82nd burning scopeshield (prc 139) batteries.  Thanks screaming chicken dickheads.

No scars or missing limbs from an ied or round, thank god.

ETA:  never been in a "fire fight".  Never claimed to have been nor would want to.  You might want to re word or just plain delete this thread though.  Has the potential to rub vets the wrong way... jmho.  We can be a sensitive bunch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Marine here, but isn't the "Screaming Chicken" the 101st?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
To the guys who are offended by the OP's question, I understand why but those of us who have never served are curious for a reason.  Many WWI vets were disturbed more by the public's reactions than what they saw in combat.  The public was fed day after day of blind propaganda and when soldiers came home, many of them were met with rounds and slaps on the back.  Requests for tales of heroism and sterile, safe stories of combat that were carbon copies of the news shorts they saw in the theater.

Ever since the Vietnam War the American civilian people have learned that war has an emotional cost far greater than anything we experience.  Some of them might ask just to hear a thrilling story or to be assholes, but most of the people of this site want to hear these stories because we don't want to forget what war really costs.  The OP asked in an odd way but I'm betting he isn't looking for a vicarious thrill.  

Thanks for your service guys.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you don't like the question, don't answer. I bet the people most offended were never even in combat.

Please call bullshit... Go ahead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
We had a guy saved by his throat protector.

I think the most common phrase told to me on patrols was "Put your god damn helmet on, doc."

I don't like armor, and never chose to wear anything but the bare minimum. If I get hit, I get hit. I know it's the wrong answer, but seriously, fuck that noise.

IMO you could what if it all day.

The "wear your nape/neck/back/ball/etc protector, it's only 1lb" attitude is the reason why my equipment weighs 75lb dry.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was there (05-06) the cock plate was the least worn article of armor. Doesn't make tons of sense, 'cause that's the one thing I would want some real armor on, with bombs going off on a regular basis. Still never wore it.

As strange sd it sounds, I don't recall seeing any injuries to the junk....I'm talking guys burnt head to toe

Down in RC south, wounds to the junk area have increased dramatically from smaller IED's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 3:35:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone referenced slipping in the Porta-John, and while I was not injured, here is my combat shitter experience in detail:

In mid-2004, I was enjoying some down time at Al Asad airbase. I had just finished my last paperback and decided to mosey over to the excellent MWR library near the KBR compound. As I approached the MWR, I started prairie-doggin' and immediately started looking for a porta-john to relieve the epic poop that was about to explode outta me arse.

As the fates would have it, I spied an unoccupied and freshly cleaned PJ less than 100 yards from the MWR. Praise be! I immediately darted in an made it by the hair of my chin. It was a close call. I was grunting, heaving and pushing with muscles I didn't know I had and, quite frankly, breaking out in a sweat. Going from months of MREs to greasy DFAC food often had that affect on me, but that is not germane to the story. I am trying to make the point that it was not a leisurely bowel movement, but one that feels like it is cinder block ripping your asshole out. You get the point, I'm sure.

Anyhoo, as I sat there combating this massive load letting loose from my intestines (without so much as a Stars And Stripes to read) a tremendous KA-BOOM sounded and I thought the damn porta-john was about to fall down around me. In a split second, I realized that it was probably not a Glock, but a mortar impact. The next split second I realized that the likely hood of there being another impact was highly likely judging from past experience. My body, for once, reacted faster than my brain as it busted open the porta-john door and started running. I remember thinking I really should get down, but the MWR and hard shelter was less than 50 yards away at this point. Sometimes, you just gotta know when to go for it, so I didn't bother to wipe or secure my trousers. I just set the land speed record for the 40 with pants around ankles and all that Jesus blessed me with flapping in the wind.

The mortar had hit so near the MWR it blew out every bit of glass in it and thankfully nobody was injured, but I regress, the impact was so close it literally scared the shit out of me. I didn't even leave skid marks....

True story, bro....

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No combat wounds to talk about. Would you prefer I made some up?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad day when you are offended buy a question asked on the internet not directed an any particular individual. Thanks to all the real vets out there.

eta- why don't you tell us about your wounds?

So you're a "Real Vet" tac45?

Branch and dates of service please.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top